Friday morning one-liners

Star Lotulelei, Ti Akau AP

Don Banks of SI.com thinks the Bills’ choice of QB E.J. Manuel means the read option will be part of their offense.

Said Dolphins coach Joe Philbin of first-round pick Dion Jordan, “We’ve got to get our hands on him a little bit (and) work with him a little bit to find out what is his ideal weight and those type of things. I’m not going to sit here and say that we want him to be 265 pounds. We’ll see. Maybe his body isn’t going to function and do some of the things he can at that (weight). He may be able to.”

Patriots DT Vince Wilfork raised $235,000 at his draft party, 10 percent of which will go to marathon bombing victims with the rest to go to fight diabetes.

Two defensive players in the first round suggests coach Rex Ryan’s influence isn’t totally gone with the Jets.

The Ravens website calls trading up in the second round a possibility.

The Bengals didn’t reach for a tackle in the first round with Andre Smith still unsigned.

Drafting Barkevious Mingo doesn’t mean Jabaal Sheard is on his way out of favor with the Browns.

The Steelers were worried that the Saints would pick LB Jarvis Jones before they had a chance.

WR DeAndre Hopkins is the fourth straight player to come out of college early to be drafted by the Texans in the first round.

Colts DE Bjoern Werner is the first NFL first rounder to call his selection “unglaublich,” which translates from German as “beyond belief.”

The Jaguars look to be sitting pretty at the top of the second round.

G Chance Warmack thinks he convinced the Titans to pick him during a private workout.

What’s on the wish list for the Broncos on Friday?

Said Raiders CB D.J. Hayden of whether he thought his career was over when his inferior vena cava was severed last season, “I did. I definitely did. [It lasted] about a week, and I was just wondering if I would walk straight again. That’s what was on my mind; it was walking straight. I wasn’t worried about life after football. I wasn’t worried about life after college. I was just worried about walking.”

A negative review of the Chargers’ decision to draft T D.J. Fluker.

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said the two players the team considered trading up to get both were off the board in the top 10.

Giants OL Justin Pugh started all 34 games he played at Syracuse.

Even new Eagles T Lane Johnson thought the Dolphins were trading up to take him on Thursday night.

A look at defensive back options for the Redskins in the coming rounds.

Bears G.M. Phil Emery called Kyle Long the most athletic guard to come out in the last 12 years.

John Niyo of the Detroit News believes drafting DE Ziggy Ansah was a risk worth taking for the Lions.

The Packers highlighted the versatility of DE Datone Jones after drafting him on Thursday.

A bold offseason continued with the Vikings grabbing three players in the first round.

Falcons G.M. Thomas Dimitroff proved again that he isn’t afraid to make big moves to secure players he wants.

The Panthers didn’t waste much time before handing in the card picking DT Star Lotulelei in the first round.

Need might not be the driver when the Saints make their next pick in the third round.

The Buccaneers didn’t do any drafting, but they had quite a draft party.

G Jonathan Cooper said he was shocked the Cardinals picked him because he doesn’t read the mock drafts that projected him as a top 10 pick.

Trading up for WR Tavon Austin says that the Rams aren’t rebuilding anymore.

The 49ers “absolutely” have a player in mind with the 34th pick.

The Seahawks are ready to jump into the draft after a quiet first night.

Permalink 10 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill
10 Responses to “Friday morning one-liners”
  1. calwilliams06 says: Apr 26, 2013 8:06 AM

Much respect to Vince Wilfork.

2. deltszp says: Apr 26, 2013 8:11 AM

Rick Speilman might not stay in Minn much longer if he keeps putting together drafts like the last two years. DOMINATION

3. mobuccsfan says: Apr 26, 2013 8:39 AM

At first I was impressed with the Vikings draft–until I realized how much they gave up to get the WR. My goodness. New England hosed them and sadly, Patriots now have more ammo to load the team for another run this year. Unless, Bellicheck wiffs on his picks as he has been known to do as of late.

4. acdc363 says: Apr 26, 2013 8:45 AM

Vince Wilfork is an awesome dude!

5. thejuddstir says: Apr 26, 2013 8:57 AM

Rams had a really good night but I gotta say the Vikings had the most impressive draft. They hooked 3 starters, 2 of which most experts mock drafts had in the top 10 overall.

6. mobuccsfan says: Apr 26, 2013 9:05 AM

Agree on Wilfork, even if I don’t like the Patriots.

I bet the 49er’s have a player in mind. I’m thinking they take the best available DT or CB with that pick. They should be a tough team next year–unless Kapernick falters or gets injured…then who knows.

Tampa had a draft party for that? Really? I guess I am in the minority and think its silly. I wish we (the fans) knew if Ronde was returning for one more year or retiring already. I get that he has earned the time to think about it and such but heck, TB needs to kind of know before the draft is over. Because if he does call it a career–they definitely have to nab at least one, probably two more CBs in this draft. Nothing left on the FA market–unless a decent nickel guy gets cut for the second round of FA in June. Guess it is wait and see still. I was hoping that party last night was about Ronde’s decision–minus the two-hour special on ESPN called “The Decision Part Two”. I’m a huge Heat fan but even I think that was pretty lame and silly with the whole Lebron thing. Also thought it was quite arrogant of them to think they could win six titles or however many they spouted off when Lebron first signed. I say it’s not going to happen. Three or four before it is all said and done? Maybe and more likely but no way they get six together. Miami’s one before Lebron was still the best in my opinion, being a Heat fan since the 90’s or pretty much, my entire life.

7. wludford says: Apr 26, 2013 9:19 AM

Vikings the clear winner in round 1. Floyd at #23, Rhodes at #25, and Patterson at #29- all #1 or #2 rated at their position in this draft.

Floyd was a steal, Rhodes also a great player to fill a real need for the Vikings.

Looking at the compensation for Patterson to the Patriots, the Vikings paid a #3 & #4 and a #7 to move up about 25 spots with their 2nd round pick. Looking at the draft points chart, they didn’t overpay. The late 3rd, early 4th, and a 7th round picks are all past the sweet spot for talent in this draft, while moving up from the late 2nd round allowed the Vikings to get a play-maker at WR and as a kick returner, which would not have been the case at #52 in the 2nd round.

8. bballnut50 says: Apr 26, 2013 9:29 AM

Actually Vikes did a great job, they had 11 picks coming in, made the trade to get Patterson and still have 4 more picks on Day 3 which is considered the best value day for this years draft! Its not like Vikes would draft and keep all 11 picks if they did not trade for Patterson…just incredible draft for Vikes!!

9. tombradyswig says: Apr 26, 2013 10:57 AM

“T Eric Fisher said being drafted first overall by the Chiefs was like winning the lottery.”

Ummm, Eric, you did just win the lottery to the tune of 22-25MILLION!!!!

10. seaeagle707 says: Apr 26, 2013 5:16 PM

It’ll be great to see Pete, have more to do than toss a football straight up, umpteen thousand times.

GO HAWKS!!!