Geno Smith says he won’t be back on Friday

Geno AP

At a time when quarterback Geno Smith has faced harsh criticism regarding his ability to handle adversity, Smith isn’t handling adversity well.

Specifically, the game that is the NFL draft isn’t going the way he expected, so Smith plans to take his bat and ball and go home.

Smith told ESPN’s Suzy Kolber after Thursday night’s opening round that he won’t be back on Friday for rounds two and three.

If Smith doesn’t return, he’ll be confirming in the minds of many that he can’t show grit and resolve under pressure.  That he’ll sink his head and slump his shoulders when the team is 14 points behind in the third quarter.  That he’ll pout if he’s not the starter or if he gets benched.  That he’ll complain about the use of too many running plays when he prefers to air it out.

At a time when multiple other quarterbacks remain on the board, Smith needs to stand tall in the face of disappointment and show up for Friday’s festivities.  Only 32 players have been picked, including just one quarterback.  And if Smith thinks he has it bad, at least Smith didn’t have to experience his college coach Dana Holgorsen take an NFL head-coaching job, trade down from No. 8 to No. 16, and then select E.J. Manuel.

When Smith accepted the invitation to the draft, he knew there was a chance he wouldn’t get picked in round one.  If he had any concerns about his ability or willingness to show up for the second day of the draft, he shouldn’t have agreed to make the trip to New York.

Then again, maybe he was listening a little too closely to those who were insisting that he’d be a top-five pick.

There’s still a decent chance Geno will be a top-five pick in round two.  If he doesn’t return to the draft on Friday night, interested teams could opt for one of the other quarterbacks instead.

Permalink 223 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Arizona Cardinals, Jacksonville Jaguars, Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
223 Responses to “Geno Smith says he won’t be back on Friday”
  1. chillaxbro23 says: Apr 26, 2013 1:20 AM

he dosen’t have it in him come back your just showing them you don’t have it in you don’t let the media beat you get back up man

2. albionhero says: Apr 26, 2013 1:20 AM

If I was an NFL GM, it really doesn’t make me like this guys ability to play through pressure if he just runs away from a situation not going well for him like the draft.

3. slashrageblog says: Apr 26, 2013 1:21 AM

Is it still a bust if he’s drafted in round 2, or is it like “well we took a chance on him” type of thing? Because unless he shapes up (akin to Cam Newton), he’ll bust out of the NFL.

4. dell52 says: Apr 26, 2013 1:22 AM

Or, He doesn’t want to be one of the only players in the green room with a camera pointed on him until somebody decides to take him. Teams draft players who have been arrested, defiant, obnoxious, and just plain stupid. I highly doubt that a player who doesn’t want to feed into the talking heads wishes is going to hurt his draft stock anymore. Especially if teams draft players based on their performance on the field.

5. radrntn says: Apr 26, 2013 1:22 AM

there or not he will go when he will go , teams don’t care about how you sit at a table, they care how you play.

6. thestrategyexpert says: Apr 26, 2013 1:23 AM

To the Lions in Round 3?

7. paychrisjohnson28 says: Apr 26, 2013 1:27 AM

If he doesn’t show up for the rest of the draft until he is drafted… he will show all of us NFL fans that he will never be anything in the pros…
    after losing to Syracuse in the bowl game and getting blown out in a lack luster effort.. I would take Nassib before I would take Geno Smith at this point… because football is about heart as much as anything.,….

8. thestillcity says: Apr 26, 2013 1:27 AM

I don’t blame him for not wanting to be the subject of a forced ESPN human interest story. He shouldn’t have been there anyway, and the broadcast should have the decency to film something else once the playoff teams started picking.

The show-the-disappointed-draft-prospect-as-he-falls-the-entire-first-round nonsense jumped the shark years ago.

9. onebucplace says: Apr 26, 2013 1:29 AM

Way to handle it kid. If I know one thing in life it’s that no one likes a good sport – this can only help you.

10. rickyspanish says: Apr 26, 2013 1:30 AM

I hate the draft because of the garbage media it produces. It’s sick how they comb through these twenty year old’s lives without any shred of shame. I’m sure everybody who is “evaluating” these guys was a shining example of humanity when they were that old.

11. dontcorrectmeplz says: Apr 26, 2013 1:30 AM

Bad move by him, being a bad sport when things don’t go his way.

12. jeremywflores says: Apr 26, 2013 1:30 AM

Oh Geno…man up.

13. cadillacjosh says: Apr 26, 2013 1:30 AM

who cares if he goes home?

Maybe he has plans for Friday. Anything could be up. Maybe he hates being in Manhattan.

This post is so much conjecture, its quite ridiculous you can post it.

14. rcali says: Apr 26, 2013 1:30 AM

Get this guy on my team pronto! Just kidding.

15. 90210g says: Apr 26, 2013 1:31 AM

Loser

16. 90210g says: Apr 26, 2013 1:32 AM

JaWalrus Busto 2.0

17. philadelphiafan says: Apr 26, 2013 1:32 AM

That may not necessarily translate to his character on the field, but it does show how gullible he was to believe in his own hype created by the media.

18. theskolbandit says: Apr 26, 2013 1:32 AM

Chill out dude you’ll get drafted. Get to work son. see some Randall Cunningham in this guy

19. 90210g says: Apr 26, 2013 1:34 AM

He is not worthy to be in the NFL!
    Go home LOSER, chokes just like in bowl game!
    Quitter! Loser! Bust all over him!

20. larryboodry says: Apr 26, 2013 1:36 AM

As he slides even further toward Round 3.

21. nativeraider says: Apr 26, 2013 1:38 AM

This is why he wasnt picked. You can tell alot about a player the way he handles NOT getting drafted. Remember Brady Quinn looking shocked when he wasnt picked. Then there was Aaron Rodgers not even affected by it and standing strong. Who wants a QB whos gonna pout about NOT being drafted in the 1st round?

22. delusionalcardsfan says: Apr 26, 2013 1:38 AM

Many Cardinal fans have been clamoring for Smith as a 1st round pick for the franchise. I’m glad that we addressed the Oline! Go Cards!

23. 90210g says: Apr 26, 2013 1:38 AM

Rephrase; I was glad to see EJ get picked ahead of this OVERRATED LOSER!

24. linvillegorge says: Apr 26, 2013 1:39 AM

He mad.

25. thekiller678 says: Apr 26, 2013 1:39 AM

Well he just spent hours waiting for nothing, I wouldn’t go back either. He would probably rather be in a less tense setting with his family anyways.

No reason to blow this out of proportion.

26. buddybowl69 says: Apr 26, 2013 1:40 AM

He has a peanut head. I’m sorry, but everytime I see him, I think of Mr. Peanut. He is not a starting quality quarterback in the NFL, and I’m glad that all of the GMs see that also. Maybe Planters will recruit him for their advertisements.

27. Stiller43 says: Apr 26, 2013 1:40 AM

I think you go a smidge overboard with him crumbling in the 3rd quarter and whatnot, but I do think its completely immature for him not to go to round 2 & 3.

He’ll surely be picked tomorrow, and it would be a shame to see him so distraught by tonights picks that he chooses to go home.

28. jakeblues68 says: Apr 26, 2013 1:41 AM

This dope just cost himself a lot of money.

29. onermedboxer says: Apr 26, 2013 1:42 AM

Geno just confirmed what I’ve been thinking for a while now.
    Judging from the kid’s interviews and interactions, he doesn’t have the mental strength to cut it in the National Football League

30. biggestredmiami says: Apr 26, 2013 1:44 AM

I played against Geno at Nike Training Camp in 2008. He’s a good player, but the whole draft process has exposed him. Systematic QB with low self-esteem unless things are going well. Like him a lot as a person, but you should have stayed home.

31. mullman76 says: Apr 26, 2013 1:44 AM

That’s too bad.

Show up, take your medicine and put a large chip on your shoulder as soon as your name is called. Use that pain to fuel your fire.

What a wuss.

32. floriohatesthebirds says: Apr 26, 2013 1:45 AM

How about a less biased take Florio.

33. reigningrams says: Apr 26, 2013 1:45 AM

Poor baby – you might have to wait another day to find out which city you will get paid to play football and make millions of dollars in. The scouts were correct – this guy cannot handle adversity, at all – I am certainly glad he will not be leading my team.

34. cgsuddeath says: Apr 26, 2013 1:45 AM

Waahh!!!

35. ammarradhi says: Apr 26, 2013 1:46 AM

What a crybaby

36. footballgod87 says: Apr 26, 2013 1:47 AM

Wow. Because he doesn’t want to willing subject himself to more embarrassment on a national scale, he gets ridiculed. Crazy times we live in man.

37. melkipershero says: Apr 26, 2013 1:47 AM

Gotta say his demeanor all night turned me off. Hes supposed to be a leader. Just not seeing that in him.

38. arrogantnation says: Apr 26, 2013 1:47 AM

Soft.

39. defeetrexryan says: Apr 26, 2013 1:48 AM

Sounds like a pretty big crybaby it is.

40. bobby2478 says: Apr 26, 2013 1:48 AM

This is absolutely stupid criticism. I can understand Geno wanting to go home. He was there in person and sat there all night because he obviously thought he was going to be picked. When he wasn’t, he was obviously upset.

Why should he waste another night sitting there in person waiting to be picked? People would likely criticize him for doing that too, saying he just wants attention focused on him.

I highly doubt any remaining teams that were planning on taking him will bail because he decided not to come back for a 2nd night in person.

Just stupid.

41. michaelhan91 says: Apr 26, 2013 1:51 AM

Grow a pair man…you’re in a position where many of us will never get to experience. Enjoy it while you can. Take advantage of your invitation.

42. dhn66 says: Apr 26, 2013 1:52 AM

Or you’re just making this a bigger deal than it really is. The kid is probably a little heartbroken and doesn’t want to go through all of the anxiety and nerves in front of the cameras again.

Also: Nassib’s tough break doesn’t invalidate Geno Smith’s tough break.

43. ozymandias121 says: Apr 26, 2013 1:52 AM

Yeah, Saturday seems about right.

44. coachbeck says: Apr 26, 2013 1:52 AM

Oh please. This doesn’t mean the kid doesn’t have resolve. These decisions se made well in advance I am sure. To claim that this diminishes his skills or potential is ridiculous and just makes you look petty. There has been players who have only shown up for day 1 not get picked and left.

45. jayquintana says: Apr 26, 2013 1:53 AM

The consensus on Thursday was, “why did he accept the invite?” The consensus today is, “why doesn”t he accepting the invite?”

I”m no fan of his, but knocking him for not wanting to be the only player at the draft today’s kinda ridiculous.

46. couldntthinkofaname says: Apr 26, 2013 1:53 AM

Call the wahmbulance.

47. jc327 says: Apr 26, 2013 1:54 AM

Really? Maybe with that attitude, he’s not NFL material.

48. jcampol says: Apr 26, 2013 1:55 AM

Why does him not subjecting himself to more ridicule and unwarranted criticism show any less character? He sat through the entire round knowing he was being filmed and shown on tv the entire time. All while trying to keep his composure( which I think he did ok under the circumstances) let him get away from the cameras trying to show a young man having his life long dream be shattered on national television for the sole purpose of ratings. It’s kind of disturbing to watch.

49. geneatals says: Apr 26, 2013 1:57 AM

Sack up Geno. Gonna give up now, so will the NFL on you then…this ain’t college and you are not the big man on campus…

50. irodex says: Apr 26, 2013 2:01 AM

What a self centered idiot. Teams would be wise to avoid this train wreck.

51. omniscient48 says: Apr 26, 2013 2:01 AM

I think you hit it right on the button. This guy shows he cannot handle adversity and would infect the team.

52. kmossg says: Apr 26, 2013 2:02 AM

I feel like your reading a bit too much into this…

53. Grinds My Gear says: Apr 26, 2013 2:05 AM

Seriously? Can’t handle adversity? I would be upset and ticked off if the camera was on me the entire time. The guy expected to be a first round pick, and you have commentators mock him repeatedly. Sitting there waiting to be drafted for most of these guys are probably like living a dream. No one wants their nightmares to be shown to public.

54. garza0080 says: Apr 26, 2013 2:07 AM

Geno go back stand tall, be grateful to be in a position to continue to play at the next level look where Tom Brady was chosen. Steve young was a supplemental draft pick and Bret farve was picked in the second round. steve and Brett where traded from the team that drafted them and look how it turned out for them. akelie smith was drafted first round pick three by the cincy bengals and he didn’t last long point made so stand tall man!

55. lostsok says: Apr 26, 2013 2:09 AM

Yeah, he’s a Jet.

56. snowboardinganteater says: Apr 26, 2013 2:09 AM

Better man up Geno…!!

57. aaronmushrush says: Apr 26, 2013 2:10 AM

amen to that. you have a once in a lifetime chance here take full advantage. PERIOD.

58. aaroncrecy says: Apr 26, 2013 2:11 AM

Florio, you’re being a bit ridiculous here. The kid stuck around all night with his chin up despite the obvious humiliation. At least he accepted the invitation to attend, unlike many others. I really don’t see how returning for the second day will make a bit of difference to any NFL GM or coach.

59. sweezz says: Apr 26, 2013 2:12 AM

Philadelphia Eagles… congrats on your new QB. Better give him what ever number he wants or he might not come out of the weight room.

60. maiphatdong says: Apr 26, 2013 2:14 AM

So Warren Moon was wrong!?

61. chawk12thman says: Apr 26, 2013 2:14 AM

He will calm down and return. He was just upset and it was an understandable blurt. My guess is he shows.

62. jonrox says: Apr 26, 2013 2:19 AM

Are you reporting the news or creating the news? I seriously doubt that Geno Smith needs to take up residence in the Radio City Music Hall in order to show he’s a good football player.

63. bpalguy says: Apr 26, 2013 2:21 AM

The premiss of this post is nonsense. Pro football evaluators are going to be swayed by that? All of their scouting is trumped by such a meaningless display of ego? Your attempt at conjuring up psychodrama is laughable at best.

64. djax10isthebomb says: Apr 26, 2013 2:23 AM

Need a tissue, Geno?

65. odawg31 says: Apr 26, 2013 2:28 AM

He should go. Reality check to play with chip on his shoulder. Motivation that he was passed on by everyone and he was the biggest draft day slide.

66. mumakata says: Apr 26, 2013 2:29 AM

Dewd, pull your act together, get your butt back to Radio music whatever. Sit your butt down and smile before you cost yourself a ton of money.

67. smashadams1 says: Apr 26, 2013 2:29 AM

Exactly why Buffalo was smart to pass on this guy.

68. silverandblack052099 says: Apr 26, 2013 2:31 AM

I really hope the Raiders do not use their newly acquired 2nd round pick on this guy.

69. chrisvegas says: Apr 26, 2013 2:33 AM

I really hope the Eagles don’t draft this loser tomorrow.

70. greenbay4life says: Apr 26, 2013 2:33 AM

I don’t think there is a single person who would show up to the second day after falling as far as he did. I dont think teams will look that far into him leaving. I also think that this will give him a huge chip on his shoulder and the team that drafts him will not be disappointed in having to give up a 2nd rounder for him. I think you’re trying to make something out of nothing here.

71. kd75 says: Apr 26, 2013 2:34 AM

I hate to say I told ya so Eugene…But I kinda did.

KBilly ‏@SuperSounds70s 23 Apr

@GenoSmith_12 I think you mean Friday will be a special day. Maybe Saturday.

72. mcs040 says: Apr 26, 2013 2:35 AM

Really defines his character!!! Clearly there’s a reason he wasn’t selected in the first round.

73. bigassbiscuit says: Apr 26, 2013 2:38 AM

“Take this job and shove it…..”

74. jeremycrowhurst says: Apr 26, 2013 2:38 AM

Really? Not waiting around to hear your name called is the same thing as playing football at the highest level? He left a mind-numbingly boring event (for the people there) part way through, so that means he’s only going to play three quarters per game?

I get that you need some content besides “the Vikings trade up and draft Corderelle Patterson. The experts say, ‘We’ll tell you in five years if it was a good move.’” But if you have nothing worthwhile to say, then go with that.

75. godell50 says: Apr 26, 2013 2:41 AM

are you kidding me who can blame him ?… This new format sucks. He’s not going home because he didn’t get drafted he probably just can’t stand HOW LONG this is taking and neither can I.

Add the draft to all the other Rodger Goodell changes that are ruining football. Used to love daft weekend but this is just to drawn out and so watered down with useless analysis to be fun anymore.

76. ragelikegronk314 says: Apr 26, 2013 2:42 AM

I would have loved to have known his thoughts when Buffalo called EJ Manuel’s name.

77. remok9 says: Apr 26, 2013 2:43 AM

For the love of all that’s holy. Just say if Jax passes on him Chip and Howie!! Wait till next year for a QB. If he can’t handle not being in the 1st and pouts. He won’t last 5 minutes in Philly. Grab a CB with 35 please…

78. danpit2 says: Apr 26, 2013 2:44 AM

I agree, he was holding his down all night. I would really hate to have him around if things don’t go well. His attitude did not seem as that of a winner and a leader

79. tdubdizzle says: Apr 26, 2013 2:48 AM

I dont blame him. I was watching the draft on tv, had the luxury of going on the computer in between picks, made chicken terriyaki and rice and ate dinner all in the time of the draft.With a lot of time to spare. Sitting in a room, let a lone a chair that long with peanuts and gatorade sounds tiring and stressful. Hell, if i were him id stay in the hotel and sleep all day.

80. astigmatism? football? why not both. says: Apr 26, 2013 2:54 AM

Won’t go far in the NFL with that, “to each his own” mentality.

81. icdogg says: Apr 26, 2013 3:04 AM

I guess you can’t blame him for being disappointed.

82. kane337 says: Apr 26, 2013 3:06 AM

Time to man up Geno. Don’t fold like you did in some of those West Virginia blowouts.

83. qwerty007qwerty007 says: Apr 26, 2013 3:07 AM

While it must be very disappointing for him not to be drafted in the first round, you must wonder where his agent is, in all of this. I thought that this was what these guys were around for.

All he had to do was to get in this guys ear for one minute and say;

“Listen, if someone asks you, all you say is”:

‘Yes – I am very disappointed at not being drafted today. But like other great quaterbacks who have slipped in the draft and been disappointed, such as Tom Brady, I will use this each and every day of my career as motivation to prove everyone wrong.’

I guess the teams that passed got it right, then.

84. thedkexperience51 says: Apr 26, 2013 3:09 AM

‘If he doesn’t return to the draft on Friday night, interested teams could opt for one of the other quarterbacks instead.”

If trivial things like this were to matter to a NFL GM then that GM should be fired. I’m going to go out on a limb and say that he’ll be picked eventually based upon his ability to play football, not rough touch feelings ball.

85. ranoversquarells says: Apr 26, 2013 3:10 AM

That’s low Florio. You don’t kick a kid when he’s down like that.

86. kevingreene160sacknoHOFclub says: Apr 26, 2013 3:10 AM

Seems like this is a no brainer. Show some class Geno.

87. musicman495 says: Apr 26, 2013 3:12 AM

Mike Florio, you said it well. Pouting is going to cost this guy plenty.

88. ultraphillyphan says: Apr 26, 2013 3:13 AM

Or maybe he’d rather be with friends and family then take the “walk of shame” and field pity claps. my initial thought was the same thing. that maybe this says he’s not tough, but I’d rather not see him awkwardly holding up his jersey like when Eli held up the chargers jersey.

89. majormeatcurtains says: Apr 26, 2013 3:16 AM

Loser.

90. hockeyfan28 says: Apr 26, 2013 3:16 AM

Maybe that guy from profootballweekly that everyone in espn was taking shots at actually knew what he was talking about

91. fatpappy says: Apr 26, 2013 3:19 AM

Still don’t need him. Defense next.

92. socal9er says: Apr 26, 2013 3:21 AM

He might go to JAX at 33. I know it’s tough to imagine how he feels but toughen up. The WR handled it great last year and he didn’t wait long day 2

93. j21steiner says: Apr 26, 2013 3:22 AM

I couldn’t agree more with this. It’s going to look really bad if he doesn’t show. I hope my jaguars don’t take him with the first pick with an attitude like that.

94. ad2k13 says: Apr 26, 2013 3:29 AM

“Geno gwumpy. Geno go back to hotel. Geno watch cartoon. Leave Geno be. Wheres my binky???”

- Geno Smith to Suzy Kolber after 1st round

95. The Prophet says: Apr 26, 2013 3:36 AM

I know it can be easy to overanalyze moves like this, but i’m sorry this isn’t a good sign. This is a total crybaby pout move. Just suck it up and show up. He’ll probably be taken in the first 5 picks anyway.

96. lemdew69 says: Apr 26, 2013 3:38 AM

If this is true… teams should not draft him at all. Maybe he needs to go back to grade school and learn something. What a loser.

97. pappyyppap says: Apr 26, 2013 3:47 AM

Looks like some may be right that he may have character issues. Would be nice to see him not get drafted until Saturday.

98. patrickpetersonstalent says: Apr 26, 2013 3:55 AM

Grow up.

99. wesleyt4 says: Apr 26, 2013 3:58 AM

Wow. Fire your agent or your advisor(s). Horrible decision.

100. tatum064 says: Apr 26, 2013 4:03 AM

Maybe the Eagles take him at 35? It will be interesting to see how this guy develops, since he will not arrive with the same sense of entitlement or circus that Cam Newton had. Dude folded v. Syracuse.

I know Chip Kelly had to have winced slightly as EJ Manuel was taken by the Bills – corners Jamr Taylor and Johnthan Banks are still in play as well.

101. thefirstweaponofchoice says: Apr 26, 2013 4:10 AM

With the 33rd pick of the NFL draft the Jags select…. Not a cry baby…. Go home fool…

102. blanchonegro says: Apr 26, 2013 4:10 AM

cry baby! glad Bills didn’t draft him.

103. kingpel says: Apr 26, 2013 4:21 AM

He went from looking like the King of New York when this thing started to a 13 year old child with his shoulders slumped and texting. Hopefully the Browns will just take him early tomorrow and end his suffering.

104. jkonigsb says: Apr 26, 2013 4:21 AM

Whether he is there or not will have no impact. It is the 2nd round, no one walks across the stage. If the NFL weren’t so greedy and making the draft a 3 day joke, this wouldnt even be a story.

105. inyofaceagain says: Apr 26, 2013 4:32 AM

Poor Geno got all dressed up to get his feelings hurt.

106. contract says: Apr 26, 2013 4:35 AM

It’s too late. His body language yesterday confirmed everything that has been said about him. He’ll be lucky if he has a long career as a backup QB.

107. deezenucks says: Apr 26, 2013 4:46 AM

If he actually doesn’t show up, before his career even starts, that’s a pretty big red flag to me and I hope for Caldwell and the Jags too. I was keen on taking him with the 33rd pick but Im turned off now. Who is advising this guy? No doubt it sucks waiting 32 picks and not hearing your name, but show some character and have some class Geno.

108. mythaimyke says: Apr 26, 2013 4:49 AM

I don’t know why he was their on Friday? He had no chance of being picked in the 1st round! He is too big of a risk, maybe even as a 2nd round pick! I would not put my job (GM) on the line, to use a draft pick on him.

109. riseabovecancer says: Apr 26, 2013 5:09 AM

Who cares if he goes home not…He is just showing that he has BALLS and did the best thing that anybody else would have done or said.

Sports casters who did the mock draft on all sports websites including this one went 0% in the top 32 1st round draft picks

Last year they only got 7% in the top 32 1st round draft picks.

Told you guys that you dont know where no player was going..

It took you all by surprise and you cant handle that the 2013 NFL draft took your mock draft right to the toilet and gave a 2 cent flush

110. cavredleg15 says: Apr 26, 2013 5:18 AM

Mr. Florio You must be so proud of the Men the at WVU is churning out~

111. dcapettini says: Apr 26, 2013 5:21 AM

This will be the first year on record when there is only one QB bust in the first round.

112. poridge1214 says: Apr 26, 2013 5:21 AM

Because he doesn’t want to show up for the insignificant rounds in person, it means he’ll dog it in a game when his team is losing? You’re an idiot Florio. Eli didn’t get his way at first, then pouted and cried til he got traded to the giants, and he seems like a winner now.

113. tokyosanbblaster says: Apr 26, 2013 5:24 AM

Geno’s got a bit of a bad attitude. I guess I’m not surprised. I’ve written to him a number of times and he never gets back to me. Oh well, maybe he’ll go in round two. He’s a good looking quarterback, I think.

114. ralzdmann says: Apr 26, 2013 5:26 AM

“This guy is nothing but a winner!”
    -Roy Munson

115. jagsandliquor says: Apr 26, 2013 5:37 AM

HUMILIATION!

116. bigfat12thman says: Apr 26, 2013 5:40 AM

It’s gotta be discouraging listening and hoping pick after pick…but your in your early 20′s and minutes away from making millions to play football, how can you pout? Geno I hope your not that spoiled, if so maybe ya should board a plane to Maui and have Manti hold you in his arms on his private secluded island while reading aloud the Book of Mormon

117. tyler4richardson says: Apr 26, 2013 5:43 AM

He should show up. It’s no new revelation that 99.9% of sports media people are redundant idiots that no one wants to deal with……. But you still have to do it. It’s part of being an NFL Quarterback.

118. latenightroach says: Apr 26, 2013 5:44 AM

He looked like he lost his wallet hanging his head pouting before he got up and left with three teams left to pick in the 1st round.

119. geniusesq says: Apr 26, 2013 5:47 AM

I was never a big Geno fan………..still not.

120. billh1947 says: Apr 26, 2013 5:50 AM

This cant make his agent very happy,I have a feeling that after a nights rest,some thoughts on his statement and a call from that agent he will once again be seen sitting in the green room with the other young,soon to be rich ex college stars.

121. theprocessoflosingmymind says: Apr 26, 2013 5:53 AM

Poor decision on this guys part. If you agree to go, then go get your Goodell handshake and hug. He is going to get drafted eventually. Even Pat White was a second round pick.

122. steelerdynasty2010 says: Apr 26, 2013 5:55 AM

overanalysis. maybe he’s got other commitments on Friday. or maybe he just doesnt want clips of him waiting in the greenroom to be shown for years to come. plenty of people have passed on going to NY and ended up being pretty good in the NFL

123. 6thsense79 says: Apr 26, 2013 5:58 AM

Really? If a team really likes Smith and passes on him because he doesn’t come back for the festivities of round 2 then whoa the league is even sillier than I thought. These players have been poked and proded for a few months now. At this point I would think a team knows what they’re getting.

124. jacobknicks says: Apr 26, 2013 6:00 AM

Why should a player show up for round 2? Who was the last notable player (in any sport) that did?

125. kcrobert10 says: Apr 26, 2013 6:09 AM

Funny I pointed out these same things when I heard this last night when espn reported it. I’ve been pretty consistent I wouldn’t draft g oh no smith till at least rd 3 now rd 4. At least my team the chiefs have no needs at qb till rd 4 or 5.

126. thesmartest1 says: Apr 26, 2013 6:11 AM

Guy is a whiner when things go bad. Nothing new here.

127. rabbdogg says: Apr 26, 2013 6:19 AM

because he goes home for rou.ds 2 and 3 does NOT meamANY of thst b.s. you just typed…haters gonna hate…and of course this WONT be posted…but at least u saw it…which u need to.

128. reidstinks says: Apr 26, 2013 6:23 AM

Chip – Please do not draft this baby.

Signed every Eagles fan in the country

129. eboneseagles says: Apr 26, 2013 6:24 AM

Wow what a baby, I was kind of hoping the eagles would get him at 35 but idk now. Like who acts like this? What is he 5?

130. diegiantsdie says: Apr 26, 2013 6:29 AM

I was hoping Philly picked him up. I dont want him now. He’s a head case like newton

131. ravenscaps48 says: Apr 26, 2013 6:29 AM

Stay Strong, Kid. Don’t give them more reason to grind you. When you get pick, you should do a cartwheel on the stage. And take pictures with whomever picks you like you still went number one.

132. eigglesnosuperbowls says: Apr 26, 2013 6:31 AM

A blind man could see this coming

133. stubbyjones says: Apr 26, 2013 6:31 AM

waaaaahhhh

134. securb2013 says: Apr 26, 2013 6:37 AM

I already don’t like this kid. He will be out of the league and broke in 4 years. Book it!

135. brewcrewfan54 says: Apr 26, 2013 6:44 AM

I couldn’t disagree more with everything you’ve written.

136. tdbragg says: Apr 26, 2013 6:45 AM

To say that Gino Smith cant handle adversity because he chose to to go home after not being drafted in round one is absolutely LUDICROUS . This kid has every right to go home if he wants , just like any kid in his position would . As far as not being drafted in round one , the last time I checked Russell Wilson wasnt , Andy Dalton wasnt , and oh , by the way Tom Brady wasnt either . This kid is a winner and by year two in the NFL , alot of teams that were on the fence with drafting him are going to be doing some second guessing .

137. truthfactory says: Apr 26, 2013 6:49 AM

He will show up because his handlers will make him. But that doesnt change the fact that he is a cry baby

138. buddybowl69 says: Apr 26, 2013 6:51 AM

Geno was really excited when he received a call from the Redskins asking if he would like to be drafted by them. He wasn’t happy when his name wasn’t called, then realizing that they didn’t have a 1st round pick.

139. cwwgk says: Apr 26, 2013 6:57 AM

I think Mr. Florio is going to be hearing from Mr. Moon.

140. thefreaksfg says: Apr 26, 2013 6:57 AM

“If Smith doesn’t return, he’ll be confirming in the minds of many that he can’t show grit and resolve under pressure. That he’ll sink his head and slump his shoulders when the team is 14 points behind in the third quarter. That he’ll pout if he’s not the starter or if he gets benched. That he’ll complain about the use of too many running plays when he prefers to air it out.”

I hope this is just trolling. If not, what a joke.

Players that weren’t selected in the 1st should all go home, every year. There’s no reason to walk across the stage as a 2nd round pick. Either that, or have a lot more players invited to the draft so every player walks across the stage in the 1st or 2nd, and there aren’t a handful left hanging like this year.

141. petecarrolmorelikecheatpayroll says: Apr 26, 2013 6:58 AM

I was hoping to see him in the war room with the same suit on for day 2, with it all wrinkled to hell and an ashtray full of cigarettes and crushed Red Bull cans at his table. LOL!

142. jtm12180 says: Apr 26, 2013 7:03 AM

This is a terrible article Florio, very unfair and unnecessary. Anybody with a bit of common sense and a heart understands why Smith isn’t coming back for round 2. get a grip!

143. GenXJay says: Apr 26, 2013 7:03 AM

This doesn’t pertain to Geno.
    But, during the draft, shouldn’t have Joe Namath been arrested in violation of the restraint order Suzy Kolber enacted.
    IDK, Florio you’re a lawyer…sick ‘em!

144. howiefeltersnatch says: Apr 26, 2013 7:05 AM

I wouldn’t draft him before Saturday just based on that picture alone.

145. billygoat says: Apr 26, 2013 7:05 AM

I wonder what Warren Moon thinks about this.

146. halbert53 says: Apr 26, 2013 7:06 AM

Over-rated QB in a poor QB draft class. How a person handles adversity speaks volumes about their leadership ability and character. The great QBs are leaders; if he is unable to cope with not being drafted in first round, how will he cope with boos and adversity on the field?

147. 13arod says: Apr 26, 2013 7:08 AM

he will get drafted soon

148. trojanwarrior007 says: Apr 26, 2013 7:12 AM

Buffalo not taking him sent a huge message that the NFL doesn’t view him as a current franchise QB.

149. remyje says: Apr 26, 2013 7:15 AM

Serious question… Ryan Tannehill is better than Geno Smith???? Because I don’t think so but my car also has more than 150,000 miles on it…and I’m late for work..

150. gpry says: Apr 26, 2013 7:19 AM

He sounds perfect for the browns or jets

151. mp42245 says: Apr 26, 2013 7:20 AM

Give it a rest, Mike. You’re piling on the kid. The NFL only invites those who they think are first rounders. No use dmbarrassing him.

152. patfic15 says: Apr 26, 2013 7:21 AM

Sorry Vince 2.0….nobody is taking the bait. Be thankful you will get drafted. Period.

153. rayray5227 says: Apr 26, 2013 7:23 AM

That’s not fair Mike. We knew and he knew going in that he could go anywhere in the draft. I don’t blame him for leaving. I wouldn’t want cameras to be following me around.

154. raiderufan says: Apr 26, 2013 7:24 AM

I was really surprised to see his reaction in the green room…like 99% of reports that came out in the last few weeks his info was wrong. Suck it up, you’re gonna get drafted and then go out and prove everyone wrong. But don’t pout, stomp your feet and declare you’re not coming back. He should just look in the camera and say “Nawrocki was right”.

155. cbs1971 says: Apr 26, 2013 7:26 AM

I don’t know what to make of this. However, I do believe that by him not showing up will drop his stock even further. Not saying it’s right for the teams to think this, but it is what it is.

If he gets picked in one of the rounds, he is gonna have to prove even more that he was worthy, in his mind, a first round pick.

156. wayconthemexican says: Apr 26, 2013 7:27 AM

It’s also possible for him to legitimately have something else to do tomorrow night.

157. bbb82 says: Apr 26, 2013 7:29 AM

Well said…

158. vols84 says: Apr 26, 2013 7:29 AM

Unless your the overall top player I have no idea why anyone would subject themselves to that potential embarrassment by going to NYC and sitting there with no guarantee you will be picked.

159. leftyman says: Apr 26, 2013 7:30 AM

Hurry, someone call the waambulance!

160. classactcalvin81 says: Apr 26, 2013 7:30 AM

Crybaby!! Seriously not a good way to start off bro teams don’t like that quitter mentality. Go D!

161. countmahdrof says: Apr 26, 2013 7:31 AM

Yeah. No way I’d take a player who refuses to face humiliation in front of media cameras.

162. kgmoome says: Apr 26, 2013 7:31 AM

> If Smith doesn’t return, he’ll be confirming in the > minds of many that he can’t show grit and >resolve under pressure.

That is BS — Why would anyone want to stick around for the second round?

So what?

163. bobbyhoying says: Apr 26, 2013 7:31 AM

It’s obviously telling that 32 teams took a pass. Maybe they saw the next Vince Young.

164. bminder1972 says: Apr 26, 2013 7:31 AM

boo hoo hoo! take your ball and go home to pout. this is why he gets so much bad press. V.Y.2.0, or ryan leif 2.0 take your pick.

165. jets4gold says: Apr 26, 2013 7:32 AM

show this guy has character issues. I’m glad no one drafted him
    showed his true colors. I hope he slides all the way to round 3 or later. guys like that will give you problems in his whole career. Jets had a really BAD first round but what else is new. they can get better by moving up and drafting Nassib. Yhey need so much help and they go defense both picks. pathetic!

166. lionsdraftguy says: Apr 26, 2013 7:33 AM

Lets see.. He pouts if he doesn’t get his way… Sounds like a picture perfect match for San Fran.

167. ron69 says: Apr 26, 2013 7:34 AM

i wouldn’t pick him in a 100 years not because of his talent but for his mental toughness.

168. eshine76 says: Apr 26, 2013 7:34 AM

Even if he comes back today, the fact that in the moment he told Kolber he wasn’t coming back, shows how he’ll react on the field in a tough spot.

169. lionsdraftguy says: Apr 26, 2013 7:34 AM

*pouts

170. keiselsbeard says: Apr 26, 2013 7:35 AM

So, he’s Cam Newton with less talent.

171. erckle31 says: Apr 26, 2013 7:39 AM

This guy is such a sore loser…and he hasn’t even lost anything. I don’t get it???? It’s so hard to cheer for him now…

172. 4dabears says: Apr 26, 2013 7:43 AM

WAH!!!!!!!

173. johanvil says: Apr 26, 2013 7:44 AM

Good article. Keep your head up Geno and stop acting like a baby. It hurts your stocks, don’t you get it?

174. thegrey7 says: Apr 26, 2013 7:46 AM

How is that being a sore loser? It’s called not wanting to subject yourself to further humiliation.

If his people hadn’t falsely pumped him up to himself, he would have stayed home during the first round too.

175. giantsfanlewis says: Apr 26, 2013 7:47 AM

Wow this kids got maturity issues and a sad sense of entitlement. Next Ryan leaf, Jamarcus russle. Except he was exposed before the draft and is getting picked where he should instead of way to high

176. exboomer says: Apr 26, 2013 7:48 AM

I’m glad the Bills didn’t pick him. Sounds like Smith needs to grow up and man up and start acting like an adult.

177. dgtalmn says: Apr 26, 2013 7:51 AM

Media created a first round failure

178. IBleedBlueBitchez says: Apr 26, 2013 8:01 AM

Awwwww, is him just a wittle bit upset? Could be worse, could have been drafted by the Jets.

179. footballfan says: Apr 26, 2013 8:08 AM

I don’t feel bad for him at all. If you don’t want to deal with the embarrassment then don’t set yourself up to be embarrassed. If there is any doubt on when you will be taken in the draft stay home…

180. scyankee9999 says: Apr 26, 2013 8:10 AM

I have yet to figure out how people can justify him going home. Being drafted at all is an honor. Being invited by the NFL is an honor. How about he honor his commitment to the NFL? Why should he be there? To show respect to the fans. If he turns out to be an average QB at least he will be around a few extra years if the fans love you. Show some pride. Let it put a chip on your shoulder and when you get drafted go out and be the best QB you can be. The fans will rally behind you.
    And if you do fall all the way to the third round and tear up the NFL there is something nice about being able to prove all the doubters wrong. Don’t believe me! Just ask Russell Wilson.

181. wjcain23 says: Apr 26, 2013 8:11 AM

everyone says he needs to man up and face this adversity. also that he needs to grow up…..well, that part is right. the KID is only 22. maybe he had somewhere to be on friday….maybe his ticket home forced him to leave on friday. do yall really know how the travel accomodations are set for these players? also, shockingly, he’s STILL a STUDENT. not sure of WV schedule, but i think classes are still in session. as an athlete, whether he cared or not is a question, but some athletes take their studies seriously.

182. stew48 says: Apr 26, 2013 8:11 AM

BTW, if you want to add your thoughts on the #3 pick for Miami, that would be interesting. The few clips shown indicated he is about a 5th to 8th (no miss on#) rounder.

183. spcoltrane says: Apr 26, 2013 8:18 AM

Geno – just man up and remember this:
    “With the 199th pick, the New England Patriots select Tom Brady.”
    “Mr. Kraft – you just made the best decision of your career.”
    It doesn’t matter how you get in, it matters what you do once you’re there.

184. thefox61 says: Apr 26, 2013 8:25 AM

Geez people, give the guy a break. He’s just a kid, barely out of college. He probably dosen’t have a job and do you know how much it cost to stay in NYC? I don’t see anybody tearing down the other players who have not been drafted yet that didn’t come t NYC but chose to stay home with their families and watch on TV.
    Give the guy a break

185. jaketdogg says: Apr 26, 2013 8:35 AM

Maybe Randy Moss can play catch with him today for awhile. I’m sure his attitude would be great after that

186. mobuccsfan says: Apr 26, 2013 8:36 AM

To clarify about Marino, Kelly and Elway–self-entitlement, arrogance, etc. I understand having confidence and knowing that you are good at something and obviously they all showed it on the field for many years and are all three in the HOF–but some of their comments and hearing about what they said/did during that draft as it was happening just struck me the wrong way. I believe people should practice a little thing called humility. This is true today–too much arrogance and self-centerdness in this world.

187. pigskin28 says: Apr 26, 2013 8:43 AM

Leavng was a bad decision. Geno had Tavon and for the first quarter of the college footvall season was electric. Then they lost, and lost and really never recovered. So you had to think why…..Now things does not go his way, and throughout the night he keeps his head down, then goes home? This may mean nothing, but perception will be that he can’t handle let downs.
    one thing to be upset, totally different allowing it to affect you so adversely. How are you gonna handle losing a few games and everyone on your back.
    The entire country would have been sympathetic had you stayed…..you blew it.

188. bobby2478 says: Apr 26, 2013 8:47 AM

Amazing to see all the negativity directed at this guy. What the heck did he do exactly? It’s not like he’s been arrested or is ripping on teammates exactly. The ONLY thing this guy has said was that he was upset about the so called “draft experts” ripping him in the media. And how can you blame him?

Don’t you think all that negative press from the “draft experts” mocking him didn’t have ANY impact on him slipping into round 2 and costing Geno a TON of money?

Those same “draft experts” were so right about Mani Teo getting drafted in round 1 too weren’t they?

I don’t understand what this kid has done or said that warrants such venom directed towards him in this board. If it were you and people were mocking you like this would you really want to go back so you can sit there all night and be mocked constantly by commentators and fans alike for how he didn’t get picked in round 1 and what must be wrong with him for that to have happened?

189. thelongstar says: Apr 26, 2013 8:47 AM

Warren Moon, paging Warren Moon. Mr. Moon you are wanted at the Toldyaso counter.

190. bricktop02 says: Apr 26, 2013 8:51 AM

Somebody get him a binky and blanket.

191. artisan3m says: Apr 26, 2013 8:54 AM

Smith envisioned himself as an upper first round multi-millionaire pick. Now he will have to settle for being just a common NFL millionaire QB. Poor baby ~ but at least he is in character as he is certainly acting like one. Geno has the tools. I wonder if he has the maturity.

192. dspyank2k11 says: Apr 26, 2013 9:00 AM

Quitter

193. officialgame says: Apr 26, 2013 9:05 AM

I think this guy is pretty good. I don’t have any knowledge about his presence in the huddle and his ability to lead a team. I think he is a steal in the second or third round. Geno’s weakness is his inability to use his legs to extend plays. He doesn’t scramble and he only ran for 200 yards despite being lightning fast. Football wise Smith is much further advanced then EJ Manuel who was picked that high only because of the success of Kaperlick. Picks like that get coaches fired.

194. thetooloftools says: Apr 26, 2013 9:06 AM

This is stupid. Brady Quinn was pulled out of the green room and was criticized. This guy is just walking away and people are calling it an additude problem. I don’t get it.
    He should walk away.
    What’s wrong with being disappointed?

195. thesteelers says: Apr 26, 2013 9:16 AM

This isn’t an attractive move at all. He is already showing that he is a quitter.

196. subzero05 says: Apr 26, 2013 9:20 AM

Wow seriously are some of you that out of touch? Aaron Rodgers was still selected in the 1st round. No one gets mad at him for having a grudge against the 49ers or being sad that he simply had to wait more hours on the SAME day.

The Bills picked a QB that is by no means above and beyond Geno. Last night Geno was gracious and handled things with class. Did he want to get picked in the 1st round? Yes, of course he did. Is he disappointed? Of course he is. What competitive person wouldn’t? Why would he put himself through the “Will Geno get drafted soon” media story? My goodness I swear people can be impossible

197. steeelfann says: Apr 26, 2013 9:26 AM

Hey, exactly what was Geno Smith’s Wonderlic Score again?

198. meandjuliojonesdownbytheschoolyard says: Apr 26, 2013 9:26 AM

If a team is picking based on what a player does in the green room after having to wait 4 hours doing nothing, then they have no evaluation skills whatsoever.

199. ziplock10 says: Apr 26, 2013 9:30 AM

Vince Young 2.0

200. modellforprez says: Apr 26, 2013 9:36 AM

Hope Geno holds a chip like brady and rodgers cause even as a pitt fan who doesnt care for the mountain folk to be nice this once. he deserved to go in round 1 and some of those picks were suspect but he should have went. Has any scout or gm or anybody not seen what this dude did at W.V the numbers and stats are sick and he doesnt go but his main pass catcher goes at what 7th 9th i dont know but i do kno Geno should have been drafted shame on every team he dumps on the next 10 years

201. 16x8equal49ers says: Apr 26, 2013 9:45 AM

There is a lot to see while visiting New York, maybe this is his first time in the Big Apple. lol

202. howitzer819 says: Apr 26, 2013 9:51 AM

Just listened to Bill Polian on ESPN Radio, who said that the notion of Geno Smith not showing up tomorrow affecting the rest of his draft stock is “the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard”… I’m gonna go with Polian on this way; the ability to sit in a room and be humiliated is not in any way the same thing as being down 14 in the 4th quarter and needing strong QB play. Anyone in that young man’s (what is he 21?) situation wouldn’t come back for Round 2. Guarantee you from the stories he tells about his draft fall that Aaron Rodgers wouldn’t have come back for Round 2 (had the draft been formatted the same way)… if Geno Smith fails it will be because there are only 32 men a year that snap that ball on Week 1, and 32 out of 6 billion people in the world is a small sample size, and maybe Smith just isn’t good enough… or maybe he is?

203. hennegivensunday says: Apr 26, 2013 9:55 AM

I love how everyone in this post is constantly comparing Geno Smith to Cam Newton and RGIII. First of all you are all racist for doing so….. 1. he is nothing like either of those two Qbs. Geno Smith is a pure pocket passer, and if you watched him at all in college you would know that. I cant remember the last time I saw the kid run the ball.

204. nobby821 says: Apr 26, 2013 9:57 AM

Good thing Suzy was quick to offer Geno some cheese with that WINE

205. azarkhan says: Apr 26, 2013 10:00 AM

Why anybody would sit in that silly green room waiting to be drafted is beyond me. Only an idiot would criticize Geno Smith for walking away.

206. exibitsman says: Apr 26, 2013 10:02 AM

I just knew that nfl scouts weren’t buying into this fake. this is another Vince young
    type of QB selfish me first attitude. some team is going to draft him today. he will not be in the league long

207. londonps says: Apr 26, 2013 10:06 AM

You guys sound dumb, how many first round picks weren’t there yesterday

208. cbs1971 says: Apr 26, 2013 10:17 AM

They just reported that Geno has changed his mind and will be present at tonight’s draft. Which leads me to believe that either the Jags or Eagles are interested. My opinion…

209. gallogj says: Apr 26, 2013 10:20 AM

Take a note from one of the best QB’s in the game. Aaron Rodgers slid WAY farther than he should have. Alex Smith was even drafted before him. Did he run for the hills? No. He sat and waited…and then proved every single GM who didn’t pick him WRONG!

210. realdealsteel says: Apr 26, 2013 10:20 AM

Look at how Arron Rodgers handled this; then look at how Geno Smith handled this.

Kinda speaks for itself. To me, he just hurt his draft stock even more.

211. packerbadger says: Apr 26, 2013 10:24 AM

Pout much?

212. broccolilava says: Apr 26, 2013 10:42 AM

Stop comparing him to Aaron Rodgers. AR was picked in the first round. Nobody knows if he would have come back the next day.

I’m not a fan of Geno Smith, but people here just love to hate on folks. Your blood lust is the reason guys like him get hyped up by the media in the first place.

213. eagleswin says: Apr 26, 2013 10:55 AM

I have to hand it to Geno’s PR firm. There were reports of him being a top 5 lock, then a sure first rounder. Now i’m hearing that it’s a given he’s going at pick 33/34 and if the Eagles want him they’ll have to trade up to get him.

I hope the talking heads are getting paid for their “speculation”. Eventually he will get picked and maybe in round 2 but the hype among the draftniks is off the charts.

214. packerbadger says: Apr 26, 2013 11:04 AM

Did he take his ball and go home?

215. packerbadger says: Apr 26, 2013 11:07 AM

Rodgers didn’t pout and have his head burried in his hands. Guy looked like he just got busted for doing something really bad. Grow up!

216. dbfan4ever says: Apr 26, 2013 1:54 PM

If there is a team that is considering Geno and they decide not to because he decided not to stay for the second round of the draft then they are morons and he is better off not playing for them!

217. dbfan4ever says: Apr 26, 2013 2:04 PM

—————————————————

And you know this how? It is not like the camera was on him the entire time!

218. erikabq says: Apr 26, 2013 3:34 PM

to all of you guys saying “maybe he doesnt want a camera in his face” “he doesnt want to be disappointed on TV” etc.

So monday night football, hell, sunday night football, halftime he is down 21. he has pllayed a rough game and has 3 ints. So its ok for him to not come out of the locker room? its national attention, the camera is always on the QB, etc.

How he handles himself in this situation directly relates to how he handles himself in general and that includes football.

Is he going to buckle to try to save face? is he going to be able to man up and play ball even during a losing streak? is he going to recover after a few incompletions and ints?

so far the answer doesnt look good. If things arent going his way, he wants out. Great way for your team leader and cornerstone player to act.

219. Distinguished Male says: Apr 26, 2013 3:35 PM

“If he doesn’t return to the draft on Friday night, interested teams could opt for one of the other quarterbacks instead.”

LOL

Oh florio, as soon as you figured your opinion mattered (instead of just, you know, giving us news) this site started to go downhill. You were great at relaying news. Stick to that.

220. nagaswan says: Apr 27, 2013 1:57 AM

This is really bizarre. Why does anyone care? Why does everyone have the same extreme opinion?

221. mwcarolina says: Apr 29, 2013 5:57 PM

well, thankfully for his sake he stayed because if he left he would’ve wasted time and money as he was picked by……………New York.

222. kmartin173 says: Apr 30, 2013 8:57 AM

Seriously, people are trying to correlate his not coming back for the draft with his ability to lead a team? Little bit of a stretch, LMFAO.

223. clk320cpe says: May 3, 2013 3:54 PM