Jets trade fourth to Saints for Chris Ivory

Chris Ivory, Captain Munnerlyn AP

The Jets are beginning to catch up adding parts to their offense.

After taking quarterback Geno Smith and guard Brian Winters earlier in the night, they finalized a trade with the Saints for running back Chris Ivory for the 106th overall pick in the fourth round.

Ivory had visited the Jets before signing his restricted free agent tender. Signing him as an RFA would have cost a second-round pick, but the Jets had been working on a lower compensation.

Ivory has performed well in a limited role with the Saints, but he’ll have a chance to expand that in New York. The Jets signed free agent Mike Goodson earlier this offseason, and if the two of them could stay healthy, the Jets might be onto something.

Permalink 53 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New Orleans Saints, New York Jets, Rumor Mill
53 Responses to “Jets trade fourth to Saints for Chris Ivory”
  1. saints4life57 says: Apr 26, 2013 9:50 PM

WOW! I’m sorry Ivory was worth more than a 4th rounder IMO! Dude did great when he got a chance to play! Gave him away for nothing! Great add for the Jets! Dude is gonna get a chance to show what he really has! Still hate the Jets though! Sorry Chris you had to go to such a bad team! GL though!

2. mec693 says: Apr 26, 2013 9:52 PM

sounds like good stuff to me..

i root for everything the Jets have done OTHER than Geno

3. thesteelers says: Apr 26, 2013 9:53 PM

I’m sorry, did the Jets just do something positive? Tiki what do you have to say about this?

4. green41563 says: Apr 26, 2013 9:54 PM

Is this a “circus” move, Darin? I’m assuming it is because, well, it’s the Jets and everything they do is bad by definition, but I wanted to double-check with you.

If you can let me know.

5. pdubs212 says: Apr 26, 2013 9:55 PM

No brainer for the Jets. Idzik was exactly what the Jets needed.

6. sbmcintosh36 says: Apr 26, 2013 9:56 PM

hmmm … when is the pass rusher coming? ??

7. nolahxc says: Apr 26, 2013 9:58 PM

Best of luck to a ivory! He was a beast with us, but just didn’t fit in the rotation. He deserves a chance to be THE guy! Enjoy him Jets!

8. ultimatesaintsfan says: Apr 26, 2013 9:59 PM

Very disappointed that the Saints could not get at least a 3rd for Ivory. A 4th is cheap for Ivory! They should have gotten a future conditional 5th that could have been a 4th as well in this deal.

But beggar cannot be choosers and he was likely gone next season.

9. vernonbasketball says: Apr 26, 2013 9:59 PM

hell yeah revamped o alittle
    Jet Fan for Life

10. bucrightoff says: Apr 26, 2013 10:00 PM

I’m a bit biased cause I got to watch him run roughshot over the Bucs, but I quite like Ivory, more than Blount for sure.

11. styx630 says: Apr 26, 2013 10:01 PM

Best move the Jets have made all day.

12. saints4life57 says: Apr 26, 2013 10:02 PM

Yep yall got a steal with Ivory! The guy runs tuff as hell! Would have rather kept him and got rid of Ingram! Got yourselves a beast! Hope Rex use’s him well!

13. jetsfan67 says: Apr 26, 2013 10:02 PM

Another great move by the Jets this draft. Tremendous addition of young talent.

14. dvoxrox says: Apr 26, 2013 10:02 PM

Gonna miss the Tuskman. He’s a hell of a football player, I don’t care what anyone says.

15. mstiger1 says: Apr 26, 2013 10:03 PM

Geno may surprise you. He has something to prove now.

16. pftfan says: Apr 26, 2013 10:03 PM

No witty remarks about Buttfumble or Rex Ryan’s wife 5 comments in?? You guy are SLIPPING!!

17. saints4life57 says: Apr 26, 2013 10:05 PM

I was really hoping the Saints wouldn’t make this deal happen! I know we needed draft picks and we had to many RB’s! I guess it was a hard call to make since all of our backs are pretty decent! Like I said GL to Chris and I know he is going to be a bright spot on the Jets offense! Best thing they have done this offseason!

18. lrjets says: Apr 26, 2013 10:05 PM

Nobody except a few shut-ins could find something wrong with this trnasaction.

A Steelers fan?
    Methinks you have a bit more to worry about than the Jets’ draft.

Let’s hear a round of “Memories”.

In the wings a ‘Phins fan or two are waiting.
    At least there won’t be a blackout when the Jets visit them.

19. bmoreballers says: Apr 26, 2013 10:06 PM

The jets are like that obnoxious kid in high school that gets all the attention but nobody feels threatened by

20. ausernamethatisavailable says: Apr 26, 2013 10:07 PM

Great runner. Can’t pass protect, will fumble and won’t stay healthy. But man fun to watch run when healthy.

21. tincansailor981 says: Apr 26, 2013 10:13 PM

Come on Saints, you should have dealt that bum Ingram for a 5th, not Ivory. Darn, I liked his style. Good luck in New York big man.

22. saints4life57 says: Apr 26, 2013 10:15 PM

Sorry for all the post! Ivory was one of my favorite players on the team! I just don’t know how you let someone as productive as he was go for so little! I knew this day would come because they were just pretty much wasting his talent in N.O. and like I said I don’t like where he ended up but at least he is going to get a chance to play more! And the Jets fans are going to laugh when they say all we gave up for this guy was a 4th rounder! UNREAL! UGHHHHH

23. Canyonero says: Apr 26, 2013 10:20 PM

Word is the Jets want to try him out at quarterback

24. winninitall says: Apr 26, 2013 10:24 PM

Love this trade, I was worried that it wouldn’t happen. This guy is going to prove himself as why he should start.

To all those who think a 4th round was undervalued I agree, but we did get Holmes for a 5th.

25. 4thqtrsaint says: Apr 26, 2013 10:32 PM

Fan favorite… Will be missed… Good luck to Chris, he deserves this shot… If he can stay healthy, Jets fans will LOVE this guy!

26. mobuccsfan says: Apr 26, 2013 10:42 PM

I think the Saints are making out like bandits in this draft with what picks they had to work with. Vaccaro, Jenkins and that OT from Arkansas Pine Bluff…damn. Also wonder if the Vikings don’t try and sign Urlacher for at least a year to two year rental and I think the Rams and 9ers had excellent drafts as well.

Last thought…is it possible that Barkley and Nassib go 1 and 2 tomorrow? I think since both lasted this long, JAC and KC have to be thinking about if nothing else depth behind Gabbert and Smith–both have been known to be injured easily and they could turn-out to end up the QB’s of the future after-all? Curious on what others thought about this scenario. And yes, still miffed at the Buccs pick of Glennon. Jenkins, Keshim Greene or that Williams kid from Missouri Southern would of been a better choice IMO. Wonder if the Buccs have someone in mind for DL after draft (not much left out there at the moment) and thinking about just bringing back Dallas Clark for the year to make due at TE.

Back to this trade–if Ivory stays healthy, I think the Jets got a pretty solid RB.

27. ampats says: Apr 26, 2013 10:50 PM

To all the Jets fans,

Geno Smith will be a bigger bust than Sanchise. Look at his college career and record having T Austin and S Bailey as his wideouts. What was WVU’s record? How did he look in the sleet and snow at Yankee Stadium in the Pinstripe Bowl as he looked like he wanted to crawl into a hole because it was cold? How did he react when he wasn’t selected in the first round? He wasn’t coming back for the second night and going home the WV because he didn’t get picked where he wanted to go?

I can say that I posted that I had hoped the Jets would select Geno Smith on this site today and my XMas wish has come true.

Congratulations because this time next year the Jets will be looking for a new HC & GM. Actually on NFLN they are showing the Jets and challenging Idziks press conference on the exact points I have said above.

As a Patriots fan, I am thrilled with the Jets draft. LadyT is now ripping the Jets.

April 26, 2013

J ust
    E nded
    T he
    S eason

Sounds like a good time to debate, Clowney or Manziel with the first pick in the 2014 draft ???

Please start Geno Smith on Thursday Night,Week# 2 at New England.

28. noring4youstill says: Apr 26, 2013 11:12 PM

Stupid Stupid move by Loomis

29. buccaboo says: Apr 26, 2013 11:18 PM

I’m really happy Ivory is out of our division! He is a nightmare to opposing defenses

30. mrlaloosh says: Apr 26, 2013 11:43 PM

Jets stole this guy. Saints starting to panic. Only a 5th & 6th left. Hopefully some good undrafted free agents will sign. Another Georgia d-lineman? Jonathan Sullivan, 6th overall pick, anyone?

31. lakermetskins says: Apr 26, 2013 11:48 PM

Runs like a fast marion barber, real tough, which seems to lead to injuries.

My question is- will he now be reliable if I draft him in fantasy?

32. dlk47823 says: Apr 26, 2013 11:57 PM

Ampats- Once again, the pats fail in the draft with a roster of Rutgers picks. Keep on Hatin’.

33. jimjets says: Apr 27, 2013 12:14 AM

hey ampats

when was the last time I reminded you you haven’t won a thing since you got caught cheating?

or that we beat you in the playoffs in your house two years ago?

or that you wake up every morning in “massachussetts”?

34. dlk47823 says: Apr 27, 2013 12:16 AM

Do you really want to go there with college stats?
    Geno Smith SR 42 Td’s 6 Int’s
    JR 31 TD’s 7 Int’s
    SO 24 Td’s 7 Int
    tommyBoy SR 16 Td’s 6 INT
    JR 15 Td;s 12 Int’s
    SO 0Td’s O int
    Geno Smith won 19 games his final 2 years
    Tommy Boy won 20

You’re right based on college, Smith looks like a terrible pick…Keep hatin’!

35. dynaco says: Apr 27, 2013 12:19 AM

What does signing Ivory have to do with Geno?
    This troll is like that little piece of dog poo you just can’t get off your shoe.

36. jaredo10 says: Apr 27, 2013 12:47 AM

don’t matter JETS are going no where. Dolphins are bringing back there 72 swagger ya digggg

37. multiplemiggs says: Apr 27, 2013 1:11 AM

Wow what a circus! The Jets traded for a football player omg this is a circus!

38. saintsfan26 says: Apr 27, 2013 1:17 AM

Great trade for all parties involved.

Ivory finally gets his chance.

The Jets get a playmaker.

And the Saints got some much needed cap space and an extra pick which we used to move up and grab Big John Jenkins.

I love it. Good luck to Ivory, I hope he serves you well Jets fans. (Except when you play against us of course) :) Who Dat!

39. bigdeuceuno says: Apr 27, 2013 1:24 AM

Great move by the jets for next to nothing he’s a good proven back who can do everything needed by a back and he can help right away n take sum of the pressure off of geno smith i like what the jets r sayn n doing so far they seem like they want to win!

40. harrisonhits2 says: Apr 27, 2013 1:24 AM

“dlk47823 says:
    You’ll all lose your Beantown minds when the Jets front 4 comes in and crushes Tommy in week2. Boy, will that get some headlines!”
    ______________________

LOL yeah let the Jets win their week 2 Super Bowl again. If they somehow manage to pull that off it just means that week 2 will be the high point of the Jets season.

Ain’t gonna happen though.

41. mazblast says: Apr 27, 2013 1:42 AM

bmoreballers says: Apr 26, 2013 10:06 PM

——————————-
    Ooohhh, I know exactly which guy from my HS fits that bill. His “athletic” claim to fame was that he was good at–tennis. He was always a self-impressed jerk, but his family had some money so no one dared to put him in his place, at least publicly.

Back to the subject–I’m confused. The JETS did something that made sense? Or at least could be a positive? This looks like a good move to me, which is amazing considering who did it.

42. z561 says: Apr 27, 2013 1:56 AM

Wow totally unnecessary. Just line tebow up at runningback. He’s most likely similar in running skill to Adrian Peterson, plus he can keep a defense honest by mixing in some throws. How many heisman’s did ivory win again?

43. nobreak1269 says: Apr 27, 2013 3:21 AM

Jets are gonna ride Ivory all the way to the Superbowl!

44. louhudson23 says: Apr 27, 2013 6:21 AM

Ivory looked good running the ball,but had a hard time staying on the field and had little concept of pass blocking. Look for a healthy Ingram to continue his 2011 rise with the coach back and some runs in less than obvious running downs….

45. RexCanCoach says: Apr 27, 2013 7:37 AM

Idzik is THE MAN. What a great draft so far capped off by the trade for Ivory.

All of a sudden the Jets have:

A complete and very decent O line.
    Solid RB’s with depth.
    QB competition with two guys (Garrard and Smith) who both have HIGH completion % (which is all the Jets really need).
    The best CB in the draft as an addition to #8 defense.

More work to do, still need a TE and S.
    Gotta get another decent WR also.

Loving where this is going. Circus is over.

46. girlsknowsportstoo says: Apr 27, 2013 7:47 AM

Won’t matter…it’s a Morningweig offense. Pass, Pass, Pass.

47. monropoobah says: Apr 27, 2013 8:36 AM

saints4life57 says:
    Apr 26, 2013 10:15 PM

!!!!

you missed a sentence! you’re welcome!

48. patfic15 says: Apr 27, 2013 9:09 AM

So much better than Ingram

49. prmpft says: Apr 27, 2013 9:18 AM

…every time I think I cannot possibly HATE mark ingram any more – i am provided with another reason!

50. grandpoopah says: Apr 27, 2013 10:23 AM

If Ivory is the second coming of Earl Campbell, as commenters here believe, why has he never been able to beat out Pierre Thomas and Mark Ingram for carries?

51. ricksaints says: Apr 27, 2013 6:04 PM

You’re up Cadet!!!

52. saints4life57 says: Apr 27, 2013 8:48 PM

I love when there is a good story about a RB who got traded and is going to get a much deserved shot at starting and all the post are about Geno Smith and New England! You guys are a little left of center if you ask me! If you would like to talk about Geno or the PATS then why not go post on one of their many story’s on here?

53. droyer85 says: Apr 29, 2013 4:21 AM

Better to get SOMETHING for him this year then him leave next year and get nothing. There was no way the Saints and him were going to agree on a long term deal with him being slotted 3rd on the depth chart. He’s not an idiot. So overall this was a good move by the Saints, next man up!