Joeckel will think of being passed over “every single day”

Luke Reuters

For months, it was assumed the Chiefs would take tackle Luke Joeckel with the first pick in the draft.  Last night, the reality become otherwise.

The Chiefs bypassed Joeckel for Eric Fisher, and Joeckel won’t forget it.

“I wanted that first pick but, you know, it didn’t happen. And that definitely puts a chip on my shoulder,” Joeckel told PFT on Thursday night, after he was picked.  “I’m ready to go work, I’m ready to go prove myself.  It kind of hurts even more that another offensive tackle was taken before me, so I’m ready to go. . . .

“I’ll probably wake up every single day thinking that and when I’m in the weight room . . . when I’m lifting, when I’m out in the field working, you know, that’s my entire goal.  I grew up in a very competitive family, always wanted to be the best.  And you know, going behind another guy in my same position is definitely going to push me.”

It also puts pressure on Fisher.

“Obviously the first pick gets a lot of expectations, a lot of pressure, but I think I perform very well under pressure,” Fisher told PFT on Thursday night.  “I am somebody to take advantage of pressure situations and make the most of them.  A lot of people will break under their pressure, I’m not that kind of person.  I think any time in my life I’ve had that kind of expectation that I needed to meet, I think I’ve performed very well.”

There’s a chance both will perform well.  There’s also a chance, in theory, of a Peyton Manning/Ryan Leaf dichotomy.

After spending time last night with each guy, our money’s on the former.

Permalink 93 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Jacksonville Jaguars, Kansas City Chiefs, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
93 Responses to “Joeckel will think of being passed over “every single day””
  1. jagsfanugh says: Apr 26, 2013 1:57 PM

Gotta love his attitude. He reminds a lot of Jag fans of another OT taken 2nd overall by the team with the very first pick. Now we hope he can play like him.

2. johnqlunchbox says: Apr 26, 2013 1:59 PM

Oh my goodness, it must be AWFUL to be picked second overall in the NFL draft. What can we do to make our special snowflake’s boo-boo all better?

3. dnelson21 says: Apr 26, 2013 1:59 PM

As a Jags fan, I will thank the Chiefs every day for passing over on Joeckel.

4. mobuccsfan says: Apr 26, 2013 1:59 PM

Really? Maybe I think this is petty but dude still went second overall and doesn’t need to have a chip on his shoulder. Let your play on the field do the talking. I agree for once on this article. I think it will be the former. They are two of the best OL in this draft and should have solid careers.

5. moagecu says: Apr 26, 2013 1:59 PM

1 team passed on him. tell him to ask Geno how he feels.

6. floratiotime says: Apr 26, 2013 2:01 PM

OK, if this is true then he’s an idiot.

7. hrmlss says: Apr 26, 2013 2:01 PM

ooooooh, slipped 1 spot. Poor baby.

8. isphet71 says: Apr 26, 2013 2:01 PM

Might end up being the best “bad” thing that ever happened to the guy. You know he’s motivated now.

Being second in the draft instead of the first seems like a pretty good problem to have to me.

9. zurnvs says: Apr 26, 2013 2:01 PM

Number 2 player taken, boo freakin woo

10. gosfvr says: Apr 26, 2013 2:02 PM

Oh for heavens sake, its not like he was a sixth round pick like Brady.

11. thegreatgabbert says: Apr 26, 2013 2:02 PM

It’s all good for the Baby Boselli. He will take home more money as the second pick in Florida than he would have as the first pick in Mo. Plus he goes to a young, vibrant team on the way up, not a tired old boat being steered by aging fat guys who need naps.

12. pittsburghfan71 says: Apr 26, 2013 2:03 PM

I wonder if he is more upset that he was the second pick or that he has to play for the jaguars? Probably a little bit of both.

13. heat256 says: Apr 26, 2013 2:04 PM

Of course. Look where he has to live and play for the next few years. I’d be mad too.

14. obsession55 says: Apr 26, 2013 2:04 PM

Hes gonna wish he ended up in KC when Robert Mathis gets done with him!! He’ll be on his back nonstop twice a year

15. dumbasdirt says: Apr 26, 2013 2:05 PM

He will make more money than Eric Fisher (After taxes) because the state of Florida has no state income tax and the state income tax in Missouri is 6%,

16. wabbitslayer says: Apr 26, 2013 2:06 PM

Everyone likes to talk about the draft winners and losers. Nobody has mentioned that due to Fisher, Joeckel and Johnson all going in the first four picks…the biggest loser in the draft thus far has been Matthew Stafford.

17. dwdive says: Apr 26, 2013 2:07 PM

Funny how all the stories are about these 2 tackels, when the Eagles ended up with the best athlete and OT in the entire draft. I hate the Eagles, but they got really lucky with drafting Johnson at 4.

18. phelbin says: Apr 26, 2013 2:07 PM

So he’s going to get a $21 million contract instead of $22. Yeah…poor guy. That’s gotta hurt!

19. prmpft says: Apr 26, 2013 2:08 PM

that is either the most ridiculous or the most GREEDY thing I have ever read here!

20. rhamrhoddy says: Apr 26, 2013 2:09 PM

Alright that’ll do Luke, that’ll do.

21. nesportsfan0428 says: Apr 26, 2013 2:13 PM

This was sort of a 50-50 pick. If the Chiefs chose Joeckel, then the Jags would have picked Fisher.

It’s one thing to be Tom Brady with a chip on your shoulder, when you’re taken 200+ into the draft. Another to be taken #2, because the dude taken #1 was seen as equally good.

22. schmokes says: Apr 26, 2013 2:13 PM

Last night he told Deion that he was fine being picked 2nd…although he also referred to the Jags as a great team, so maybe he’s not all there.

23. kspells12345 says: Apr 26, 2013 2:14 PM

He should be thanking his lucky stars he won’t have to play for Andy Reid and pass protect for Alex Smith 40-50 times a game.

24. kliplee says: Apr 26, 2013 2:17 PM

Cant wait for the espn documentary: “The Joeckel
    One”

25. NoobTubeTV says: Apr 26, 2013 2:17 PM

That’s funny… JaMarcus Russell was #1 overall and he ate the chips off of everyone elses shoulders.

26. soudie23 says: Apr 26, 2013 2:19 PM

Geez people he isn’t crying about it, and won’t be going broke anytime but it’s like winning a silver medal in the Olympics. You can’t fault the guy for wanting be number one

27. blogatron2000 says: Apr 26, 2013 2:19 PM

Feeling a little entitled and dissed is he? Sounds like somebody spent a bit too much time reading his own press clippings…

28. farmmbig says: Apr 26, 2013 2:19 PM

He should be thankful that he wasn’t in last year’s draft— He would’ve probably been taken about 15th in 2012.

29. tooz72 says: Apr 26, 2013 2:19 PM

he has to wear those uniforms his whole career? hideous

30. jbaxt says: Apr 26, 2013 2:19 PM

Further evidence the Fisher is the better selection. Honey booboo’s feelings got hurt… And if this truly akes him better than being the #1 pick then he can thank the Chiefs for his next contract and the league can give KC some compensatory picks…

31. kctigerchief says: Apr 26, 2013 2:22 PM

@thegreatgabbert – are you slow? The Chiefs are one of the youngest teams in the league…Have a young owner, a young GM…This old fatguy crap just shows how uninformed you are of the world around you.

32. @Cereal_22 says: Apr 26, 2013 2:22 PM

I think Fisher was the right pick for KC but Joeckel will be a good one as well. Good for Luke, I’d take living in Jacksonville any day over ‘blahsville KC

33. hawkforlife says: Apr 26, 2013 2:23 PM

Thanks to all for posting what I was going to say, enough of this “chip on the shoulder” crap.

I have a brick on mine for having to work for a living 50 hours a week with little insurance and an idiot for a boss. And with luck I’ll have social security when I’m 67 frickin years old.

34. imadipsnit says: Apr 26, 2013 2:24 PM

So will 300 other guys, jeesh get over yourself

35. sullijo1 says: Apr 26, 2013 2:24 PM

When he meets the Chiefs in the playoffs, he can take it out on ……wait……never mind. Neither of these teams will ever make the playoffs.

36. lyncht08 says: Apr 26, 2013 2:25 PM

& If he would have said he could care less ya’ll would have given him crap about not being a competitor….

37. arrowhead816 says: Apr 26, 2013 2:26 PM

You gotta be kidding me

38. kingpel says: Apr 26, 2013 2:32 PM

Cheer up, Luke! Its Tharold Simon Day!

39. Wisconsin77 says: Apr 26, 2013 2:34 PM

Hey, if that is what he needs to get motivated, more power to him.

40. 2ruefan says: Apr 26, 2013 2:34 PM

Seriously? How about being motivated by just being excellent at your job. Period.

And BTW.. shut up…

41. therealtrenches says: Apr 26, 2013 2:37 PM

He knows that he faced better competition than Fisher did, and that he’s a better player than Fisher. He also knows the Chiefs outsmarted themselves by drafting the combine phenom instead. There’s nothing wrong with turning that into motivation.

42. fukpittsburgh says: Apr 26, 2013 2:38 PM

Eric Fisher is better than you. Deal with it.

43. whitdog23 says: Apr 26, 2013 2:39 PM

5.05 vs. 5.3 speed….seems the right choice was made

44. filthymcnasty1 says: Apr 26, 2013 2:39 PM

Every time he gorges himself on bland Jacksonville BBQ, he will rue the day the Chiefs decided to pass on him.

45. beardinals says: Apr 26, 2013 2:40 PM

Gonna need a lot of dip for all the “chips” on guys shoulders in the NFL.

46. sportnorcal says: Apr 26, 2013 2:41 PM

The much overplayed “I feel disrespected and thus will have a chip on my shoulder” card.

Come on, you are a millionaire playing a game for a living. Are you admitting you would slack off and not try as hard if you were the #1 pick? Just ridiculous reasoning.

47. jeremycrowhurst says: Apr 26, 2013 2:43 PM

Luke, when you find out how disfunctional your organization is, you’ll be wishing you were picked fourth or fifth. Or fifteenth. Or much later than that.

48. theklutz13 says: Apr 26, 2013 2:44 PM

Now, you really don’t get a chance to pick where you’re going to live and work in this business, but I would take Florida over Missouri every time.

49. skylander14 says: Apr 26, 2013 2:44 PM

Get over it kid.

50. greysolon says: Apr 26, 2013 2:46 PM

Ah, you already screwed up, Joeckel.

You should have simply said: “I didn”t know where I’d end up, but it’s a dream come true to be in the NFL and I’m very happy to be a Jaguar.”

51. justintuckrule says: Apr 26, 2013 2:47 PM

I would too if I went from being drafted by a prestigious team with a rich history and rabid fan base one minute to being drafted by the complete, polar opposite, crappy franchise in every respect like the Jaguars.

I’m actually surprised he didn’t pull an Eli and tell teams before the draft that he refused to play for that bunk organization where careers go to die.

52. drsummeroff says: Apr 26, 2013 2:49 PM

““I wanted that first pick but, you know, it didn’t happen. And that definitely puts a chip on my shoulder,” “………………………………………………………………….Somehow I hope he learns to live with himself. Must be tough going second overall in the draft. THAT is what constitutes a ‘big chip on the shoulder? Suck it up dude. You’ll live.

53. albertmn says: Apr 26, 2013 2:51 PM

So, is he saying that if he had gone first that he wouldn’t have been motivated to be the best? If so, then it’s a good thing the Chiefs passed on him. If you need to create motivation, you shouldn’t go first overall.

54. green41563 says: Apr 26, 2013 2:53 PM

Oh, he’s not mad. This was made-up to counter his good-guy image. He’s prolly playing Madden as the Chiefs right now.

55. 8to80texansblog says: Apr 26, 2013 2:53 PM

Don’t worry Luke. Your boy Von Miller will be making the Chiefs rue this decision for years to come!

56. phloorioisanarcissist says: Apr 26, 2013 2:54 PM

@thegreatgabbert.

I think most people would agree the Jags are one of the bottom three teams in the league, if not the very bottom. The chiefs are the team on the rise, not the jags. If you’re a player, you don’t want to end up on that messy team rebuilding, that is the jaguars. And gabbert is far from great. Most nervous qb in the pocket I have seen for a long time.

57. kcflake says: Apr 26, 2013 2:55 PM

As a Chiefs Fan, I was fine with them choosing either Fisher or Joeckel. Listening to both guys and seeing their combine performance, I think Fisher just wanted to be the top pick more than Joeckel.

I think both guys will end up being top shelf tackles. I am Pumped we got Fishe though. he is a BEAST!

58. peytonsneck18 says: Apr 26, 2013 3:00 PM

i would be more upset that i have to play for the jags and have to get beat twice a year by Bjoern Werner!!! and the colts!!

59. raiderapologist says: Apr 26, 2013 3:01 PM

whitdog23 says: Apr 26, 2013 2:39 PM

5.05 vs. 5.3 speed….seems the right choice was made
    ————-
    Al Davis? Is it really you?

60. kc571 says: Apr 26, 2013 3:05 PM

In the end it was Fisher’s ability to play RT, if we keep Brandon Albert, and the fact that Fisher has more of a nasty streak in him. We’ll see after a season or two.

61. IBleedBlueBitchez says: Apr 26, 2013 3:07 PM

I think about going #2 all the time.

62. texansdude says: Apr 26, 2013 3:10 PM

Poor Joeckel! You know, I hear that Billy Joel complained every day to Christie Brinkley about his divorce from wife no. 1.

63. si1m says: Apr 26, 2013 3:10 PM

When you get picked #2 OVERALL, its not called getting “passed over”

Stop with the cliches already. Yeah you have a chip on your shoulder like all other 250 draft picks will. You’ll be “hungry” and all that.

Getting picked 2nd is being picked over literally everyone in the country but one guy.

calm down

64. pleazenufalready says: Apr 26, 2013 3:11 PM

dumbasdirt says:
    Apr 26, 2013 2:05 PM

—————————————————-

Just comparing state income tax amounts is the simple and teaparty-like thing to do, but it’s misleading and in this case, well, just wrong! The total tax burden in Florida (per 2010 stats) is 9.3%, while it’s only 9.0% for Mizzou.

65. jikkle49 says: Apr 26, 2013 3:14 PM

What’s next? A number 1 having a chip on his shoulder for a team taking too long to take him?

I can hear it now. “It took them a whole 8 minutes to get the pick in so now I’m driven the rest of my life to prove that it should’ve taken less then 5 second to get that pick in”

66. blackfootkiller says: Apr 26, 2013 3:14 PM

I’d be upset as well if I had to go to a team that has Gabbert as the QB…
    And he has to wear a helmet that looks like someone dropped it in a puddle of calf dung!

67. catfanatic1979v1 says: Apr 26, 2013 3:15 PM

I would much rather live in Florida.

68. icdogg says: Apr 26, 2013 3:16 PM

I respect someone having a chip on their shoulder more if they don’t talk about it.

69. sellinmp1506 says: Apr 26, 2013 3:16 PM

He’ll be enjoying the sun in LA soon enough. No need to cry about going to Jax

70. hawkstradamus says: Apr 26, 2013 3:27 PM

More draft smoke screen b.s he’s really pissed about being a jaguar and wearing those awfull clown suits

71. 8to80texansblog says: Apr 26, 2013 3:29 PM

peytonsneck18 says: Apr 26, 2013 3:00 PM

—————————————–

Yeah….. I dont doubt the colts will have the upper hand on the Jags for the foreseable future but Joeckel is not going to be dominated by a Bjoern Werner….

C’mon dude.

72. northshorejag says: Apr 26, 2013 3:36 PM

The Bears have a tackle that said that. His name is Ebbon Britton.

73. damartinez12 says: Apr 26, 2013 3:37 PM

get over yourself aggie

74. stealthjunk says: Apr 26, 2013 3:42 PM

Wow, I thought I was accidentally reading an article on The Onion or something. He can’t be serious, can he? I don’t mind people being competitive, but acting like you’re Aaron Rodgers because you slipped 1 spot is just absurd and makes you look more like a baby than a man on the prowl.

75. in3webelieve says: Apr 26, 2013 3:44 PM

Just Keep your head up and play football, you’ve been in the nfl for a day as a number#2 selection. RGIII didn’t do this last year. I wonder whwn lane johnson is going to say he should have been number one

76. eatitfanboy says: Apr 26, 2013 3:46 PM

whitdog23 says:
    Apr 26, 2013 2:39 PM
    5.05 vs. 5.3 speed….seems the right choice was made

Yes, because nothing is more important than how fast your tackles are.

Let’s see, one guy (Joeckel) dominated SEC competition. One guy (Fisher) was slightly above average against MAC competition and 2 middle of the pack Big 10 teams, and than won the underwear olympics.

You’re right, the Chiefs made the right pick.

LOL

77. eatitfanboy says: Apr 26, 2013 3:51 PM

hawkforlife says:
    Apr 26, 2013 2:23 PM

Thanks for your contribution. Your recitation of your garbage life offers real insight into this debate.

Or not.

78. huskersrock1 says: Apr 26, 2013 3:59 PM

You’re all hatin’ on Joeckel just because he’s bla…wait a minute…carry on.

79. chargerdillon says: Apr 26, 2013 4:05 PM

He’ll remember every day how lucky he is to not be a Chief

80. mwatts1 says: Apr 26, 2013 4:09 PM

The great players always look for motivation. Michael Jordan was on top for years but always found a reason to get upset and play mad. Sure he’s lucky to picked second, but for the trolls who think he’s overreacting… you clearly never played competative sports. You’re goal is to be #1 and when you’re not, that should piss you off!

81. gerard33 says: Apr 26, 2013 4:13 PM

I’d be pissed too…

Chiefs roster > Jags roster
    Hunt family > Khan
    Arrowhead > Wherever the jags play
    Tradition > jaguardom

82. deangelo23hall says: Apr 26, 2013 4:19 PM

It’s all good. RG3 went 2nd and ended up RoY

83. 1rockyracoon says: Apr 26, 2013 4:22 PM

He’s probably upset because he has to play for Jacksonville. Being on that team is almost like your not even in the NFL. On the bright side he doesn’t have to worry about prime time games, fans at home games, or anyone noticing him when he is out in the public.

84. ruthlssjag says: Apr 26, 2013 4:24 PM

WOW have u guys even watched the clip where he says “anything” in regards to this exaggerated article? Obviously not with all the negative comments I’ve read.. Before u go off & bash this kid, how about watching the video on jaguars.com & then make a judgement based on what you see/hear, & NOT what Florio is trying to spice up… I can’t believe you guys are this naive to Florio & how he runs things around here. Soo sad but true. Most of you are oblivious to the facts that were held out of this POS article.

Jaguars.com is the link, & someone try to find me ANYTHING that Luke says that was stated in this pointless article.

85. geniusesq says: Apr 26, 2013 4:24 PM

Over it you must get. #YODA

86. rcali says: Apr 26, 2013 4:43 PM

To be fair, this dude is what….20..21? Think about how many dumb things we said when we were in that age range.

87. emma333 says: Apr 26, 2013 4:52 PM

rthlessjag says I can’t believe you guys are this naive to Florio & how he runs things around here. Soo sad but true. Most of you are oblivious to the facts that were held out of this POS article.

You are correct…and the commenters are worse. Recently, my (non-offensive, non profane) comments were deleted, yet a racist, anti-Muslim comment regarding our owner was allowed to stand. Very sad, indeed.

88. nelly837 says: Apr 26, 2013 5:18 PM

Pardon me but wasn’t Peyton Manning taken before Ryan Leaf………mmmmmmyaaaaaaaa nuff said Joeckel should have not paid so much attention to the mock drafts.

89. shutupandfknlisten says: Apr 26, 2013 5:30 PM

The guy went 2nd because he’s got a soft personality. Point blank, period.

90. ampatsisahypocrite says: Apr 26, 2013 6:33 PM

Oh PLEASE — the number two overall is some kind of diss, now? Who do you think you are, Geno Smith?

The disrespect these guys manufacture for themselves is incredible sometimes. I bet if this guy had been picked #1 he’d start complaining he got dissed because the contract wasn’t big enough.

91. jrebar88 says: Apr 26, 2013 6:41 PM

Jacksonville might not be that good, but do you really want to play in&for Kansas City? LMAO This city is whack as hell

92. jjackwagon says: Apr 26, 2013 9:17 PM

Fortunately Fischer doesn’t need trumped up BS to be motivated. Further proof that the Chiefs made the right choice.

93. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Apr 27, 2013 8:21 PM

Fisher did himself a lot of good in the Senior Bowl. Before that, there is no way he was going #1 in the draft. NFL scouts like O linemen that play with nasty attitude.

Note to O linemen in 2014 draft:
    Go to Senior Bowl and pound on people like they owe you money. It paid off!!