Lions rescue Slay from green room

Slay Getty Images

On Thursday, Mississippi State cornerback Darius Slay entered the green room as one of 23 players in attendance at the draft.  On Friday, he was the first of the remaining four to escape.

The Lions have made Slay the 36th pick in the 2013 draft.

Slay, part of a Bulldog cornerback tandem with Johnathan Banks, beat Banks to the punch.  Many believed Banks would go first.

The Lions had a clear need at cornerback, a need they opted not to address with the fifth overall pick in the draft.

Permalink 18 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Detroit Lions, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
18 Responses to “Lions rescue Slay from green room”
  1. tokyosandblaster says: Apr 26, 2013 7:06 PM

You know every time the lions and Vikings are on the clock, every single prospect is thinking “please don’t call my name, PLEASE DON’T CALL MY NAME.”

Tough luck, kid. I guess try to suck it up, get cut, and picked up by a real franchise.

2. nflfollower says: Apr 26, 2013 7:08 PM

Good. Slay, Houston who is under-rated, Quin and Delmas (if he can ever stay healthy) will constitute a serviceable secondary. Bentley the 3rd rounder from last year is built to be a nickel corner anyhow, he’s small and change of direction is his best skill. Assuming of course that’s how the competition shakes out in camp, who knows.

3. cullimon says: Apr 26, 2013 7:35 PM

Really tokyosandblaster? R u a bears fan or something? Detroit and the Vikings have 2 playoff appearances combined in two years. They are great franchises

4. chasechorleone313 says: Apr 26, 2013 7:35 PM

Slay looks good but I wanted Jamar Taylor with them saying. Slay is hurt

5. metrocritical says: Apr 26, 2013 7:42 PM

Tokyosandblaster: The same could be said for KC, Cleveland, Jacksonville, Buffalo, Minnesota, Carolina and, at one time or another, several other teams that went for long stretches of futility. Ideally, this site is for intelligent discourse on substantive football issues and is not intended to be a forum for rehashing tired cliches, showing how funny or mean spirited one can be. Of which, by the way, you only partially achieved. (Hint: It wasn’t the funny part) As for actual football discussion, Slay is lightening fast, has decent hands and should improve a woefully inadequate defensive backfield for the Lions.

6. noeffinway says: Apr 26, 2013 7:56 PM

Tokyo seems a bit rattled by the Lions again. Don’t choke on your bratwurst, man.

7. smstonerock says: Apr 26, 2013 8:15 PM

Wow. There’s not one sentence in this article that is even remotely a positive comment on the pick. You’re not a Lions fan, are you Florio?

8. GenXJay says: Apr 26, 2013 8:57 PM

Tokyo is a self-proclaimed GB fan. Although, he screams Viking diehard.

9. tokyosandblaster says: Apr 26, 2013 9:32 PM

Yes, I’m terrified of a 4-12 team that over achieved the year before.

I just don’t know how the Packers will be able to compete with such ineptitude.

10. joerymi says: Apr 26, 2013 11:20 PM

I can’t help but wonder why other teams only ever overachieve, but never underachieve…unless its your team, of course.

11. lakermetskins says: Apr 27, 2013 12:23 AM

metrocritical says: Apr 26, 2013 7:42 PM

———————————————————
    I couldn’t have said it better myself. I mean, for real, I COULDN’T have said it better myself.

12. tokyosandblaster says: Apr 27, 2013 3:18 AM

If your team (or my team) has one good year in ten, the odds are that they overachieved that one good year.

Like the Vikings last year.

Lions and Vikes will have an epic battle for the NFC north cellar.

13. jimmylions says: Apr 27, 2013 3:38 AM

I hope this kid’s knee heals like everyone says it will. So far I like what we’ve done with this draft … a DE, CB, and a G — all positions of need and we got solid picks for each position.

Slay will need a lot of coaching to become a solid NFL CB, but he obviously has the raw skills to become a pro bowler.

14. lionsninersfan says: Apr 27, 2013 10:26 AM

I am not a fan of the lions draft at all. They let all the good corners go somewhere else, they waste their first pick on a project player, take the teamate of a better corner with the second, and then a guard from kentucky….. KENTUCKY!? I mean the only good players drafted out of kentucky go to the nba, I think mayhew forgot hes not a gm in the nba! I wonder if mayhew and shwartz will get gift baskets from other teams in their farewell tour

15. lionsroar91 says: Apr 27, 2013 11:07 AM

lionsninersfan says:
    Apr 27, 2013 10:26 AM

All the good corners??? Not one of these guys have played a snap in the NFL. It is always a guessing game. I assume that you know NFL talent when you see it and are able to know how each player will work best in each system. Project player??? Pretty sure every player that comes into the league has things to work at, BUT how many of them have the upside that Ziggy does? Thank you for your insight on Kentucky football, but Randell Cobb didn’t turn out too bad. Finally I believe it is Schwartz.

16. footballfather says: Apr 27, 2013 11:33 AM

@lionsninersfan – I don’t know how you can possibly be a fan of both the Lions AND the Niners…..Jim Harbaugh has insulted the Lions time and time again over the past couple years. This is the point at which you need to be a Niners fan OR a Lions fan. Pick a side. (Based on your analysis of the Lions, I’d say you better stick with the Niners because you are obviously very ignorant about Detroit’s players/needs.)

17. broccolilava says: Apr 27, 2013 3:11 PM

It sounds like the author of this piece was tired.

Slay will be a great addition to the Lions. He is super athletic and has good skills. He slid because of his knee, which doesn’t even require surgery. He ran a mid 4.3 at the combine. Great value pick.

People keep calling Ansah a “project”. He will start day one and make an instant impact. He is obviously a dominant DL player and was selected at the point most analysts thought he would be.

18. leoskoolaid says: Apr 27, 2013 6:41 PM

Well in my humble opinion the lions addressed a lot of needs and got some good depth in this draft. With Suh and Fairly in the middle of the D line Ziggy with his great physical gifts on the outside should have an immediate impact on our defense.