Matt Barkley says he’ll remember the QBs taken ahead of him

Barkley AP

Tom Brady, the 199th overall pick in the 2000 NFL draft, has been known to think about the six quarterbacks selected ahead of him that year as a form of motivation. Matt Barkley, the 98th overall pick in this year’s NFL draft, says he’s going to have a similar mindset.

“You visualize all the picks that went in front of you, especially the other quarterbacks,” Barkley told Scott Wolf of the Los Angeles Daily News. “I’m going to remember this weekend for a long time and so are the teams that didn’t draft me.”

For the record, the quarterbacks drafted ahead of Barkley were E.J. Manuel, Geno Smith and Mike Glennon. And the teams that didn’t draft Barkley are all 31 teams besides the Eagles — every team had a chance at Barkley and passed.

So if Barkley needed any motivation, this draft has given him plenty.

Permalink 91 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
91 Responses to “Matt Barkley says he’ll remember the QBs taken ahead of him”
  1. trevor123698 says: Apr 27, 2013 6:11 PM

I think barkley has a future as an NFL starter. the guy has seen and done it all before he even made the pros

2. Neftali Ramos says: Apr 27, 2013 6:11 PM

As an Eagles fan I hope he keeps his word.

3. therealraider says: Apr 27, 2013 6:13 PM

It wont be hard considering half if not all of them will prove to be better players.

4. onebucplace says: Apr 27, 2013 6:13 PM

That’s a long list, I hope he has a good memory.

5. Rick Spielman is a Magician says: Apr 27, 2013 6:14 PM

Maybe before the season he should have thought about the quarterbacks who could potentially go ahead of him and used that as motivation to play better so he would have been drafted earlier.

6. supremekingz says: Apr 27, 2013 6:14 PM

I still think he’s the best overall QB in the draft. I don’t knock him being injured last year, ot for that idiot Lane Kiffin’s force feed offensive style, and I hate that the knock against him has to do with Carson Palmer and Leinart, as if all players from the same school are all the same.

Hope this kid has a Greg career

7. ramrene says: Apr 27, 2013 6:16 PM

Quit making stupid decision that lead to picks and 31 teams won’t pass on you.

8. themagicman1223 says: Apr 27, 2013 6:16 PM

Not everyone is Tom Brady…

9. fukpittsburgh says: Apr 27, 2013 6:17 PM

Oh boy. We need more great underdog stories like this one. We only get about 250 every year. You go get your revenge Matt!

10. isphet71 says: Apr 27, 2013 6:17 PM

Of course he will remember the other guys – he will be watching highlights of them actually playing on Sundays.

11. ozymandias121 says: Apr 27, 2013 6:18 PM

Ok, we get it generic USC QB.

12. hater79 says: Apr 27, 2013 6:19 PM

Matt Barkley is a damn good QB. I was hoping he came out last year so my redskins could take him. I see him starting by week 12 after Foles poops the bed and Vick is sidelined with another concussion.

13. ialdrich1214 says: Apr 27, 2013 6:19 PM

I’m shaking in my boots. – Said no one ever.

14. tv426 says: Apr 27, 2013 6:20 PM

All 31 teams are now quaking in their boots. Not!

15. beerbratscheese says: Apr 27, 2013 6:21 PM

The Eagles passed on him three times. Is he going to make them pay, too?

16. barroomhero80 says: Apr 27, 2013 6:23 PM

Another usc failure in the nfl

17. adonisberg says: Apr 27, 2013 6:23 PM

He’ll get plenty of chances as soon as Vick A. Starts throwing picks B. Dropping the ball while avoiding sacks C. Gets hurt because he still thinks he can out run 12 other men D. All the above.

You choose

18. burnzy32 says: Apr 27, 2013 6:24 PM

Most OVERATTED line draft week every year, Zack Follet washed my car last week, I doubt the 31 other teams remember him either

19. chc4 says: Apr 27, 2013 6:24 PM

Blah, blah, blah. Same story every year, different player.

20. blacknole08 says: Apr 27, 2013 6:25 PM

Will he add RG3 and Andrew Luck to that list too? Because he would have been chosen a few picks after them had he come out last season.

21. totallydisgusted says: Apr 27, 2013 6:25 PM

Yeah. Go ahead and remember them cuz they’ll be in the league longer than you.

22. classyjacklambert says: Apr 27, 2013 6:25 PM

If I was him I’d worry about remembering Chip Kelly’s offense first

23. dondada10 says: Apr 27, 2013 6:25 PM

Barkley would be better served worrying about his game than the other QBs drafted.

24. 91devinhester23 says: Apr 27, 2013 6:26 PM

well, sure, but if I had to guess I’d expect that no one will remember Matt Barkley

25. nedhigginssports says: Apr 27, 2013 6:27 PM

*yawn* as a Giants fan I’m glad the sheagles took this noodle-armed Sanchez clone

26. thereisalwaysnextyear says: Apr 27, 2013 6:27 PM

All the motivation in the world may not help his arm strength. Throwing perfect spirals isn’t enough in the nfl.

27. dangernearing says: Apr 27, 2013 6:27 PM

Dumbest line uttered, imo. I’ll remember it, too. I DVR’d it.

28. victorycruz says: Apr 27, 2013 6:27 PM

Blah, blah, blah, chicken sandwich, blah! Matt Barkley=Mark Sanchez=Matt Leinart=USC dud qb’s.

29. taintedlombardis says: Apr 27, 2013 6:29 PM

This bum also said he would’ve been drafted ahead of RG3. His mouth overloads his brain. Welcome to the 4th round. Should’ve came out before you were exposed. Co$t you millions.

30. kirksutton says: Apr 27, 2013 6:34 PM

Unfortunately the eagles are going to suffer the most.

31. prmpft says: Apr 27, 2013 6:35 PM

he will remember because they’re playing & he’s not – so I would agree – he will remember them…

32. profootballwalk says: Apr 27, 2013 6:35 PM

Thirty one NFL GMs remember your noodle arm.

33. kd75 says: Apr 27, 2013 6:35 PM

If he needs that to motivate him to do his job, I wouldn’t want him. Paycheck should be enough.

“Oh I hate those Broncos for not drafting me. They could use a future bust from USC right about now…”

34. iamwhodat says: Apr 27, 2013 6:36 PM

They should have picked Leon Sandcastle.

35. albertmn says: Apr 27, 2013 6:36 PM

He would be better served to learn the playbook and try to prove something on the field. All these guys that need artificial motivation are getting old.

36. mnajb says: Apr 27, 2013 6:37 PM

Watch out! He’s visualizing right towards us!!!

37. taintedlombardis says: Apr 27, 2013 6:38 PM

Kid is going to look like Hulk Hogan when he ages.

38. ilovefoolsball says: Apr 27, 2013 6:38 PM

I’ll give you a few other names to remember that were chosen before you

Matt Leinhart
    Mark Sanchez

39. ravensallday2012 says: Apr 27, 2013 6:39 PM

Haha fail. Just like his terrible team

40. lennydpocketqb says: Apr 27, 2013 6:39 PM

The Barkley Three!

41. uscfan1988 says: Apr 27, 2013 6:39 PM

Like the attitude I am obviously rooting for him as a trojan fan

42. erckle31 says: Apr 27, 2013 6:44 PM

Waiting for the day a USC quarterback actually pans out. Probably a looong time.

43. gosfvr says: Apr 27, 2013 6:44 PM

Whatever helps him. Chip on his shoulder? sure, if it helps him become a great player, why not?

But it is tiring to see grown men conjure up imaginary chips on their shoulder to pump themselves up?

This is a business after all, none of the teams have an obligation to draft any particular player.

44. jamaltimore says: Apr 27, 2013 6:44 PM

From the bench or couch most likely.

45. 202folife says: Apr 27, 2013 6:46 PM

He needs to remember that sh*tty season he just played at USC.

46. Chris Henry's Wild Ride says: Apr 27, 2013 6:52 PM

Ryan Leaf said the same thing. And I’m sure he does remember the QB taken in front of him.

47. thefiesty1 says: Apr 27, 2013 6:52 PM

Just keep remembering them while you spend your career as a journeyman backup.

48. maiphatdong says: Apr 27, 2013 6:54 PM

Mark Sanchez, Carson Palmer, Matt Leinart, Sean Salisbury, Rodney Peete, Pat Haden, Matt Cassel, Bill Nelsen, Pete Beathard, Vince Evans, Paul McDonald, Todd Marinovich, Rob Johnson AND John David Booty…..Matt Barkley.

Thats some list!

49. jayquintana says: Apr 27, 2013 6:59 PM

Actually, this isn’t a bad spot for him.

50. Carl LaFong says: Apr 27, 2013 7:05 PM

Matt meet Mark, Mark meet Matt, Matt meet Matt, now meet the f&*%ing door!

51. blutbaddenbill says: Apr 27, 2013 7:06 PM

if he plays this year,he does not make it through the season.

52. fukpittsburgh says: Apr 27, 2013 7:12 PM

This site has turned in to such a p.o.s.

53. jagsandliquor says: Apr 27, 2013 7:17 PM

The jags chose gabbert over all of em…

54. glazerh8er says: Apr 27, 2013 7:20 PM

That’s what the last 10 qaurterbacks from USC said. Their problem is they get coddled and spoiled in every aspect of life on and off the field. Socal is never never land. I used to live there. Great place to visit.

55. cunninghampeetemcnabbvick says: Apr 27, 2013 7:21 PM

He may fail. He may succeed. Where he was picked though is where he had value so it’s a great pick by my Eagles. If he had gone in the first or 2nd it would be a horrible pick, but as a 4th rounder he has great value.

56. raymondtx says: Apr 27, 2013 7:21 PM

Barkley will be forgotten soon. Matt Leinart 2.0

57. thebadguyswon says: Apr 27, 2013 7:21 PM

Whatever stud. You’ll be lucky to stay in the league five years.

58. fhuizar says: Apr 27, 2013 7:23 PM

Going to prove a lot of people wrong

Fight On Matt!

59. cardmagnet says: Apr 27, 2013 7:24 PM

And he’ll watch them from his couch in a couple years after he flops out of the NFL.

60. nobreak1269 says: Apr 27, 2013 7:33 PM

Is he gonna throw more or less picks to the teams he ‘remembers’? I can’t tell if he is happy or mad.

61. GenXJay says: Apr 27, 2013 7:43 PM

Remember the Qbs ahead?
    like as for X-mas? or tip some malt liquor for his hommies?
    Maybe Barks should concentrate on remembering a playbook.

62. thebigtim2012 says: Apr 27, 2013 7:43 PM

Why in the world does any player need motivation beyond the motivation of “I’m making more money than 90 % of the world to play a GAME”. The amount of money paid to these prima donnas should be all the motivation needed

63. nobreak1269 says: Apr 27, 2013 7:44 PM

I will remember for you Mark-I mean Leinart-I mean Carson-I mean……what was your name again?

64. brewcrewfan54 says: Apr 27, 2013 7:46 PM

So he can get their autographs?

65. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Apr 27, 2013 7:46 PM

Good Matt, because none of those QBs are going to remember you when your 5 minutes in the NFL are up.

66. latenightroach says: Apr 27, 2013 8:22 PM

He only has himself to blame. He chose to be the starter again for USC and get paid nothing over the Cleveland Browns who would have paid him 1st round money. What a bonehead.

67. tatum064 says: Apr 27, 2013 8:23 PM

I dont know what’s worse. Barkley making that statement , or these “arm chair” commandos that never played the game at his level anyway.

That always astounds me. Football irreverence from people that arent in the league at all.

Could anybody on this thread out pass him or Leinart or Palmer..or even Cassell?

People should think before they run their mouth. I’m not defending the guy , but really – Did any of you play?

68. EJ says: Apr 27, 2013 8:36 PM

Matt Barkley was drafted to the wrong system. Chip Kelly may have a creative mind, but there is no way Barkley can come in and run the same type of offense as Mike Vick.

69. kingpel says: Apr 27, 2013 8:39 PM

Technically, he could be right just by being a career back up because I think most of the other guys will be out of the league altogether in two years.

70. spideysdog says: Apr 27, 2013 8:43 PM

First off, I could care less about Matt Barkley or the Trojans… Don’t have a dog in this.

A. Matt Barkley had his name called by an NFL team on draft weekend. Something every keyboard GM on here will (in my best Taylor Swift singing voice) never ever ever hear.

B. Everyone comes on here and blasts kids for leaving college and running for the money. We finally have a kid who DID stay in college, and did chase a national championship, and it bit him in the behind.

These kids are damned if they do and damned if they don’t. While the 32 owners on the pro level and NCAA on the collegiate level rake in billions of dollars off their backs.

The reality is, these kids are chasing their dreams and sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t.

As for everyone on here questioning his motivation line….. Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady have uttered the same line about all the teams that passed them up. Are we going to criticize them or the results they have achieved from it?

KG finds a reason to hate every team he plays, to provide extra motivation.

Personally, I hope the kid breaks the streak of bust USC qbs. I’m rooting for him.

71. thetooloftools says: Apr 27, 2013 8:43 PM

Then step up or get stepped on.
    Matt.
    Now is your time.
    Own it.
    Not like you did at USC and laid down while you were getting STOMPED on.
    Stand and deliver or shut up.
    Man Stupid in San D. better step up too.
    I wish you the best.

72. jetsfan80 says: Apr 27, 2013 8:45 PM

You are another lousy quarterback from USC. No one is going to remember you…

73. nawlinsmitty says: Apr 27, 2013 8:47 PM

Never ever draft a quarterback from USC. They are and always have been overrated.

74. rcali says: Apr 27, 2013 8:52 PM

He can thank Sanchez for the drop. Just think how much more experience Barkley has and he dinged by a guy taking pictures in white tank tops.

75. travishenryskid says: Apr 27, 2013 8:57 PM

He’s Jimmy Clausen, just less deuchey. Good luck, but I don’t see the talent.

76. saints4life57 says: Apr 27, 2013 8:57 PM

Well if I know the Eagles i’m sure this kid will get a chance to play this year! Seems like Eagles are know for having 3rd string QB’s play weather it’s due to injury or performance! Hope the kid does well! I hate the Eagles but can’t hate a player because they drafted him! GL buddy show everyone what they missed out on!

77. goon698 says: Apr 27, 2013 8:58 PM

Who does he think he is? Matt, you are closer to Matt Leinart thanTom Brady.

78. saints4life57 says: Apr 27, 2013 8:58 PM

P.S. BTW if you don’t do well in Philly they are going to eat you alive! You’ll never be the same once leaving that city! hehe

79. larrydavid7000 says: Apr 27, 2013 9:18 PM

last year everyone made fun of the Redskins for drafting a QB in the 4th round. Now teams are doing the same thing. mmmmmm. That’s right get used to following the best team in all of pro. football. Your WASHINGTON REDSKINS.!!!!

80. bigbamboom1 says: Apr 27, 2013 9:19 PM

Wellllll! The Eagles had 3 chances to draft him too. But passed 3 times before seeing the light. Or the best no risk deal on the board. But i do like this kid’s attitude about it all. Geno Smith’s too. Some QB, or 2-3, in this draft is going to make them pay the price for oversight. Just like Joe Montana, Russell Wilson and others did. There”s something about Barkley that’s hard to pin down. So I’ll explain it the way I see it. There are John Elway type drafts and there are Joe Montana/Tom Brady type drafts. They often produce a few unexpected HOF’ers. If there is a hidden Joe Montana & Tom Brady in this draft, I’d lay odds that it is Matt Barkley and Dino Smith. Just because of what they went through.

81. red sky at night says: Apr 27, 2013 9:27 PM

I hope he plays well and shuts some of you basement dwellers up.

82. officialgame says: Apr 27, 2013 9:38 PM

The guy can play. Bottom line Barkley played through a 3rd degree shoulder separation that he is still rehabbing and is the reason why he dropped. Barkley is ultra competitive, and lives in the film room. Taking him in the 4th round was a no brainer for Kelly who knows Barkley like a book.

83. grantlee11 says: Apr 27, 2013 9:41 PM

“Remember it, Write it down, take a picture, I don’t give a …”

84. kenstabler says: Apr 27, 2013 10:07 PM

I really wanted Barkley for the Raiders in the 4th round, I thought he would fall there to the Raiders. So strange though for the green birds to take him with this pick and the offensive style that Kelly likes to play with.

I feel really sorry for this kid, this is not where he needed to go.

85. ytownjoe says: Apr 27, 2013 10:36 PM

Good thing he didn’t come out last year. The Browns would have taken him in the first round with the 3rd pick and been stuck with him.

86. jbeagles23 says: Apr 27, 2013 10:39 PM

95 percent of you need to stop listening to mike mayock. Kids never played an nfl snap and you’re calling him a bust lossssers

87. jjsooner says: Apr 27, 2013 10:58 PM

Yet another over-rated USC QB. Guess I wasn’t the only unimpressed individual watching this.

88. forever9ers says: Apr 28, 2013 4:31 AM

We’ll see if he is the next Kurt Warner or Jimmy Clausen.

89. pastabelly says: Apr 28, 2013 6:36 AM

He will be the poster child for any highly regarded prospect who has to decide whether to stay in school one more year.

90. GenXJay says: Apr 28, 2013 8:16 AM

I liken him to a Teabag.

91. lamekiffen says: Apr 29, 2013 8:30 AM

I find it funny how Matt Barkley dropped so much in the draft….I think 3 things caused this major drop….Aundrey Walker getting Barkley whacked from the blindside and messing up his shoulder…… Cyrus Hobbi getting blown back into Barkley every play in the Stanford game…..and most of all Lane Kiffin coaching the team