Packers load up on linemen and backs in the fourth

AP

It’s clear the Packers had a plan in mind when they were stockpiling draft picks.

They just added UCLA running back Johnathan Franklin with the 125th overall pick, after using previous fourth-rounders on offensive tackles David Bakhtiari and J.C. Tretter.

The Packers drafted Alabama running back Eddie Lacy last night in the second round, giving them a pair of productive picks for a backfield that needed reinforcements — but probably no longer needs a Cedric Benson.

Franklin’s a low-cut running back, and it’s fitting that he broke Maurice Jones-Drew’s all-purpose yardage record there. He might not be the same kind if NFL player as MJD, but he’s clearly good value in the fourth, and the Packers have plenty of picks to burn.

43 responses to “Packers load up on linemen and backs in the fourth

1. Goodbye Cedric Benson and the always injured James Starks & hello Eddie Lacy and Jonathan Franklin, welcome to the 13 time world champ Packers!

2. I kind of liked Benson! That sucks!!

Oh well… at least these guys are younger and hopefully better then what we’ve been stuck with.

3. That’s believing in your board.

According to some boards the Packers got the two best RBs in the class.

They seem to rifle through as many OL as possible every offseason to see who sticks, and who creates the most depth.

I believe they will be doing that with LBs later today as well, as a few DBs maybe one or two with returning abilities.

4. The linemen make sense. Newhouse had an open door policy all season, (though admittedly he played better in the playoffs), and Lang allowed his fair share of attackers to reach Rodgers as well.

Protecting Rodgers this season is mandatory, Ted’s just added two good candidates to make this a reality. If Sherrod actually manages to return to the lineup as well that’s an added plus.

Pack have been weak on RB since Dorsey Levins so nice to see some potentially legitimate contributors to the running game.

5. jhein23 says:Apr 27, 2013 1:42 PM

Ofcourse what he forgot to say was that most of those championships happen when there was about 8 teams playing lol.

6. Could also look for a blocking TE.
    That could cover 2 needs, Some help on the blindside blocking, and someone who Aaron could dump the ball off to if downfield coverage is tight.
    I really like the Lacy pick. Never thought he would drop that far. The kid can block and is a load that can get that 3rd and 2 yardage.

7. Should’ve addressed O line in early rounds…….shAaron’s been sacked more than anyone. I’m not sayin’ Vikes in the SB, but they will kick the Packers assets. (so will the 49ers)

8. tokyosandblaster says:
    Apr 27, 2013 2:12 PM
    We will see how these picks pan out.

I won’t go all Minnesota fan and claim Super Bowl because of some new rookies.

———————-

You already went all “Minnesota fan” by mentioning them first, just like you do in every Packer AND Vikings story.

9. packfaninchitown says:
    Apr 27, 2013 2:00 PM

_________________________

You forgot the Packers All-Time leading rusher in Ahman Green who was after Levens time in GB….
    I do like the RB’s they got, both of great value, but they need a big Nose Tackle in the worst way. Raji is in a contract year, gets worn down & becomes ineffective & if he goes down with injury, there is no one behind him. I was severely disappointed they didn’t go after Jesse Williams out of Alabama at some point. He went to Seattle in the 5th.

10. The O-line picks are obviously for depth.

Who knows, maybe Bakhtiari will steal the starting job.

But for the rest of the draft.

I’m thinking..

Tight End
    Safety
    Linebacker.
    And maybe a flyer on a WR.

11. I like the picks here but think its time to get back to the defense. I wonder if Woodson would come back for a two year cheap contract.
    ——————————————————–
    I think Woodys days are done. He said he will not play for a lowball contract, 4 mil per season min is what he said. We all love the guy but it doesnt fit into the salary cap and he’s an injury risk, same collarbone twice. Charles, just retire now with all the glory and recognition rather than fade away.

12. @tokyosandblaster –

If you were consistent, you would say the best running back in already on your team…you don’t need these guys because to paraphrase what you said in a previous post “we draft for depth — even in the first round.”

13. dustingham says: Apr 27, 2013 2:17 PM

——————————

He might but I wonder how much he has left. He was getting beat more this last year and his holding penalties have been getting more numerous. I think Woodson has reached the point where he’d be a backup. Other teams don’t seem to be beating a path to his door either. I don’t like saying this about one of my favorite players, but time does march on.

14. Theodore, maybe you forgot,

Johnny Jolly is coming back after the suspension. Word on the street is he’s cleaned up and looking very good physically. I wouldnt bet against him. It was a damn shame as he was really playing well that last year before the legal problems. He will be fighting for a starting spot

15. Lol. Here come the Vikings *fans* who are already claiming dominance over the packers. You’ve one once in 7 tries. Which do you think is the fluke?

And for those about to say “if we had ponder” we would have won, I’ll go ahead and say “if we had any one of our injured linebackers, you’d be 0-7 and not 1-6 in the last 7 games.”

You know I am right.

Vikings, Bears, and Lions are 6 easy wins for the packers again this year.

16. vikingsvoice says: Apr 27, 2013 2:20 PM

If the Packers defense doesn’t improve, they won’t have the luxury of running the ball. Too much faith in Dom Capers…
    ———————————

I think what you meant to say here was, now that the Packers should have a legitimate running game to go with one of the most potent passing offenses in the NFL, the defense will be better because it won’t be on the field nearly as often.

Seriously, AP is a beast, and maybe best in the game, but if the Packers running offense can be 60-70% of what AP is, the Packers offense will consistently be on the field for 35+ minutes per game.

17. Woodson has some quality play left for sure. But he’s not the guy he was from 2006-2011.

With a HUGE void @ S, I’d welcome Woodson back to help there.

18. vikingsvoice says:Apr 27, 2013 2:20 PM

——————————————————
    Check the stats before posting. The Pack Defense ranked 12th last year. If you want to judge the defense based completely on the S.F. playoff game, watch the tape. Eric Walden blew his assignment on every big play S.F. had. That’s why TED didn’t offer him a contract. He left AJ Hawk exposed to cover a slot reciever or TE time and time again plus he couldnt seal the edge.
    And Indy gave him a $4 mil/yr deal ???? WOW !

19. Eddie Lacy and Johnathan Franklin…. nice combo – big bruiser and a shifty guy.

Automatically improves what we called a running game these last 4 years.

20. packfaninchitown says: Apr 27, 2013 2:00 PM

*************************************************

And people wonder whey they call them Bear meatheads?

21. Was hoping they would get Franklin; never thought he’d be around so late. Bakhtiari is a nice pick too, he is versatile and good. GB OLinemen like Sherrod have been put on official notice. Packers signed the blocking TE in free agency (surprise!) so other than a backup QB the rest of this draft should be on defense. It’s good to live on the right side of the river.

22. I might be too old, but I hope the Vike’s – Lions improve. I don’t think the Bears are improving but if they are GOOD. I just think the stronger our division is the better of chance of the team who wins the divion going to the SB. So if GB doe’s win with these other Teams improving, it means we are improving and we have a better chance of going farther. That’s just my thinking.

23. We have two former 1st round tackles coming back off injury already, I am wondering if they do not expect Bulaga to full recover or something. The tackles they got were listed as being capable to playing up and down the line, so maybe they are looking at them as depth or guards.

We have some good defenders coming back as well, but given no safety help I am thinking they will be reaching out to Woodson to see if they can get him for less then he was due. He wasn’t worth 10m at this point, but I would be shocked if they don’t offer him something.

24. Bulaga is fine, working out full at full strength.

Sherrod is a different story, he might be done.

I seriously doubt you see Woody in uniform next year unless a team is desperate for one reason or another.

Kerry Rhodes is a free agent safety looking for a home ? Free Safety big enough to play strong safety.
    Not a great player but good enough to start in the NFL.

25. Packers almost won it all with a weak defense. Bad o line, and no running game. Look out haters, were only going to get better, 13 championships and counting- call me when your team has that many.