Skip to content

Phillips says he’s a natural defensive end

Phillips Getty Images

The Broncos needed a pass rusher.  The Broncos found a pass rusher.  Eventually.

After weeks of speculation that the Broncos would sign former Colts defensive end/linebacker Dwight Freeney to replace Elvis Dumervil, the Broncos signed linebacker Shaun Phillips.  They’ll make him a defensive end.

And he’s fine with that.

“I played [down] all the time in San Diego, so I was up and down most of the time, but I’ve played defensive end my whole career,” Phillips said, via comments distributed by the team.  “In San Diego I was more like a hybrid — I had my hand down 55 percent of the time, and I was in a two-point stance the other 45 percent.  It’s comfortable for me.  I’m a natural defensive end that [the Chargers] moved to linebacker, and so for me it’s like going back home for me if I have to put my hand in the dirt.”

Phillips said he looks forward to playing with his “good friend” Von Miller and quarterback Peyton Manning.

“It’s going to be fun because of his work ethic,” Phillips said of Manning.  “He demands the best out of himself and the best out of the people around him.  I’m looking forward to playing with Peyton.  I’m just going to tuck my head and just go out there and do what I got to do.  I know Peyton is going to go out there and give his all, so I would feel bad if I wasn’t giving my all for him as well.”

The Broncos need all they can get from Phillips.  Dumervil’s shoes will be hard to fill.  And he’ll be trying to put both shoes up the rear end of Peyton Manning on the first Thursday night of the regular season.

Permalink 9 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Denver Broncos, Home, Rumor Mill, San Diego Chargers
9 Responses to “Phillips says he’s a natural defensive end”
  1. rockee3 says: Apr 27, 2013 8:35 PM

    I think he wiil be a good fit in Denver. Cheaper ,and more tread left than Freeney. Should be good for about 7-10 sacks

  2. walker615 says: Apr 27, 2013 8:35 PM

    As a broncos fan I’ve hated Phillips guts for the better part of a decade, but I’m thrilled that they signed him. He had 9.5 sacks last year and he’s only 31 years old, and it’s gotta be rejuvenating to go to a contender.

    Between him and the young guys the broncos have, dumervil and his inflated contract won’t be missed.

  3. connormyboy says: Apr 27, 2013 8:46 PM

    Strange no one wants Freeney

  4. sammyias says: Apr 27, 2013 8:52 PM

    Freeney isn’t used to getting paid what he is worth … But he is worth more than he will get paid this season.

    I love the guy, and even though he is still a sports car, he isn’t a new shiny one with low mileage. I have been trying to unload this old hoopty Camaro for years.

    I thought Detroit was a perfect fit, and then the Draft happened.

    Arizona?

  5. ambitoos says: Apr 27, 2013 8:53 PM

    The Chargers got his best years and it’s going to be hard to root against him. He’s hard to lose if your a Charger fan.

  6. z561 says: Apr 27, 2013 9:48 PM

    Why not just give tebow a shot at DE? He definitely has the size and speed, plus if anybody can learn to switch from QB to D-line, it would be Tim because nobody works harder or wants it more. Besides, he could also chip in on offense in wildcat/short yardage situations. The Denver fans would love it, it would be like he never left!

  7. gloryfromheaven says: Apr 27, 2013 10:48 PM

    I’ve never liked Phillips, always thought he was a punk. However, if I had to choose between Abraham, Freeney, or Phillips, it would definitely be Phillips. In my opinion, I think he’s a much better overall player than Dumervil. Great pick up…

  8. mobuccsfan says: Apr 27, 2013 10:56 PM

    I would like the Buccs to get Freeney and Abraham on a cheap one or two year contract. That will be all. Now that Phillips signed, Freeney is still out there and I think the Buccs could utilize both of these guys on opposite ends. Schiano wants rotation on the line anyways to keep guys fresh. Bet both could net Tampa 10 sacks between them each year and help keep Bowers and Clayborn freshers (reduce chance of injury again, etc).

  9. rohlo says: Apr 28, 2013 2:31 PM

    chargers must be doing something right.. denver signs alot of chargers scraps… anthony miller,rod bernstein,jamal williams,jacob hester,luis vazquez,shawn phillips..cant talk bad about any of them..once a charger always a charger!! unfortunately its a buisness!! good luck next year except when you play the chargers!!

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to leave a comment. Not a member? Register now!