Report: No guaranteed money for Tyrann Mathieu

Tyrann Mathieu AP

Tyrann Mathieu is moving to free safety and, according to a report from Peter King, he’ll be doing it without any guaranteed money coming his way from the Cardinals.

In his Monday Morning Quarterback column at SI.com, King writes that Mathieu will not have guarantees on the deal he signs in Arizona but will have roster bonuses that will require him to be on the team each week in order to see his entire salary. King also reports that the team will “randomly” drug test Mathieu as often as once a week once he signs that guarantee-less contract as part of their plan to keep the erstwhile Honey Badger from blowing his NFL opportunity.

And from blowing the team’s chance to benefit from a player who might have gone earlier in the draft if not for his marijuana habit in college. King spoke to Cardinals General Manager Steve Keim, who said that he hoped to maximize the return and minimize the risk by having former LSU teammate Patrick Peterson will serve as a mentor of sorts for Mathieu.

“It’s uncharacteristic of our organization to take chances on guys with troubled pasts. But we thought this was a good player and person for us to take,” Keim said. “I’m not naïve about this. I know the risk. But the risk to reward was enticing. His passion for the game is off the charts.”

Enlisting Peterson as a helper and making Mathieu’s compensation contingent on staying clean are both things that make it likelier that the Cardinals will realize a return on their pick, but Mathieu remains the wild card since he already missed the chance to capitalize on one golden chance in his football career. No matter what the Cardinals do, it will be up to him whether or not it happens again.

Permalink 19 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Arizona Cardinals, Home, Rumor Mill
19 Responses to “Report: No guaranteed money for Tyrann Mathieu”
  1. jeg07 says: Apr 29, 2013 10:19 AM

No guaranteed money makes this draft pick even better! Maybe one of the best defensive playmakers in the draft class with the 69th pick in the draft! Some people are just put on this world to play football.

2. doomsdaydefensetx says: Apr 29, 2013 10:22 AM

Didn’t Revis get zero guaranteed money too? I’m pretty sure Mathieu said he was gonna put mandatory clauses for drug test and meetings. I realize he later round pick but if you give out a contract with no guaranteed money to a rookie you just drafted. Why did you even draft him? You make it clear you don’t even trust the guy. That’s just me though.

3. joetoronto says: Apr 29, 2013 10:26 AM

If Peter “I picked the Chiefs to win the Super Bowl last year, and they finished dead last” King is actually right about this, then the Cardinals did good, very good.

4. seaeagle707 says: Apr 29, 2013 10:30 AM

They’re forcing him to stay clean. For once he’ll be getting the kind of parental love he’s probably needed. Kudos to the Cards for doing the right thing. I hope Goodell is taking notice of their actions. Its this kind of policy that could clean up the entire league, IF its successful.

5. 619sdfan4life says: Apr 29, 2013 10:36 AM

“His passion for the game is off the charts.”

Didn’t he tell his. Girlfriend that he didn’t want play in pretty big game they had.. Yeah this guy has a ton of passion. I hope he works out for the sake Of the Cards and having pp there to help is promising. Good luck honey badger.

6. tjh9985 says: Apr 29, 2013 10:36 AM

I can’t wait until this midget tries to man up on Vernon Davis or Zach Miller at safety.

7. mrlaloosh says: Apr 29, 2013 10:40 AM

Honey Badger Don’t Care.

8. PeterKingLovesCoqAVin says: Apr 29, 2013 10:48 AM

The union should be having a fit over this. Sets a terrible precedent. I don’t blame the team for wanting protection, but NO guaranteed money? Wow.

9. ilovefoolsball says: Apr 29, 2013 11:00 AM

this will work for at least one season

10. jbarr1 says: Apr 29, 2013 11:09 AM

got news for ya. The only way this kid is going to stay clean is if he wants to stay clean. No amount of money, testing or whatever is going to do it. I wish him well.

11. romoscollarbone says: Apr 29, 2013 11:14 AM

This dude is going to be, if he isn’t already a huge alcoholic and probably dabble in the fine china.

12. accipiterq says: Apr 29, 2013 11:15 AM

Can someone explain to me why he is being moved to free-safety. Seems odd to me…

13. paepae805 says: Apr 29, 2013 11:16 AM

I am really liking this pick for the Cardinals. If the kid has really turned the page, it will work out for both sides. I am hoping the best for him and the Cardinals

14. sonofsamadams says: Apr 29, 2013 11:17 AM

I hope Peterson can score some sweet kush cus Honey Badger don’t smoke no skunk weed.

15. majormeatcurtains says: Apr 29, 2013 11:33 AM

As long as he makes enough to pay his hair dresser and they convince him that anyone with the ball is holding a blunt in their sock, they’ll be fine.

16. tmac4454 says: Apr 29, 2013 11:38 AM

In my life, the company I worked for in the 90’s told me that I was going to be tested for drugs. I asked myself is smoking worth not having a job? I chose to put down the weed and get those peanuts I asked for. My point is if this young man continues to follow the same negative path while playing with the elite and making great money that we all Americans wish we could make, he is to blame. So I commend the Card’s to make the Badger show them that he has matured and understand that he got the chance that some athletes never had. Good Luck Badger….

17. dioalice says: Apr 29, 2013 11:39 AM

Prior to the draft I was hoping this kid would not get drafted by any team, in any round. Then the Cardinals (the team I’ve died with nearly every NFL Sunday since 1970) takes this clown.

That said, he’ll have PP and the entire organization to help him. The upside, if he stays clean, is tremendous. But let’s see where he is in two-three years.

Either a great value pick or a throwaway of major proportions. I give Keim and Arians kudos for their first draft and for having the stones to risk it. I do hope they are right.

18. ty49er4life says: Apr 29, 2013 12:15 PM

I wanted the 9ers to take them so bad just to keep him away from the division rivals, it may end up being the cardinals best value pick ever for AZ. Then I started thinking tyrann in California with all that good weed might not work out well.

19. ty49er4life says: Apr 29, 2013 12:18 PM

If pacman can turn his life around anyone can. I think AZ got a steal.