D.C. Councilman wants team to change its name to Redtails

Washington Redskins v Tampa Bay Buccaneers Getty Images

With increasing talk that “Redskins” is a racial slur not fit for a professional football team, one member of the City Council in Washington, D.C. has what he thinks is a better idea.

Council member David Grosso told the Washington Post that he thinks the city’s NFL team should be called the Redtails.

“You can still sing the song and everything,” Grosso said. “Hail to the Redtails.”

If the mascot becomes the red-tailed hawk, Grosso said, “you can still keep the feather.”

Many American Indians have said the name “Redskins” is racist and offensive, and Grosso said the nickname doesn’t reflect well on Washington.

“It’s been a long time that we’ve had this name associated with Washington, and I think its time we take a stand and change it,” Grosso said.

To date, neither the league office nor Redskins owner Dan Snyder has shown any inclination to change the name. Grosso is hoping the rest of the City Council will join him in saying they should.

Permalink 258 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Top Stories, Washington Redskins
258 Responses to “D.C. Councilman wants team to change its name to Redtails”
  1. klattubarada says: Apr 30, 2013 3:18 PM

You know… I don’t hate this idea.

2. seatownballers says: Apr 30, 2013 3:19 PM

Tail between their legs! Lol

3. crush1128 says: Apr 30, 2013 3:19 PM

lol REDTAILS . you gotta be kidding me. i’m all for changing name but redtails?

4. medtxpack says: Apr 30, 2013 3:20 PM

Hi, im a dead horse, thanks for beating me!

5. hawkslv says: Apr 30, 2013 3:21 PM

Former WW2 Pilots will find this racist.

6. bharr170 says: Apr 30, 2013 3:21 PM

Can these politicians please start focusing on the growing number of legitimate issues facing America and stop worrying about such silly nonsense??

7. calicowboysfan86 says: Apr 30, 2013 3:21 PM

I love to hate the REDSKINS. Don’t change the freaking name!

8. skinsrock says: Apr 30, 2013 3:21 PM

Yep… Keep running your mouths… DC Council… How about we call them the Landover Redskins, Largo Redskins, PG Redskins, Alexandria Redskins… Maybe Snyder should remove “Washington” from the name.

9. rc33 says: Apr 30, 2013 3:22 PM

How ’bout killing two birds with one stone and call ‘em the Washington JasonCollins?

10. 12thmanhawks says: Apr 30, 2013 3:22 PM

Redtails…. Lol why not. It’s a joke of a name but it fits with the team fans and the whole organization anyways. I hope it passed bwaaaaaaaaa

11. finsfan4life1977 says: Apr 30, 2013 3:22 PM

Oh hell no!

12. turkjones says: Apr 30, 2013 3:23 PM

Too many grade school-caliber jokes can be made with the name “Redtails”… I’m surprised MDS didn’t slip a zinger in the article, frankly.

13. nomoreseasontix says: Apr 30, 2013 3:23 PM

How about “Split tails”?

14. floratiotime says: Apr 30, 2013 3:23 PM

You know that “fight for old DC” started out as “fight for old Dixie”. Kind of tells it all …

15. 13forgbp says: Apr 30, 2013 3:23 PM

now the rest of the country knows DC Councilman are stupid.

16. idonthavethebloodyoucrave says: Apr 30, 2013 3:23 PM

The Washington Chickenhawks? LOL

17. joeytorontosucks says: Apr 30, 2013 3:24 PM

The redtails? that sounds terrible… 1932 was its inception and they want to throw away 81 years of tradition.

18. onlysane1intheroom says: Apr 30, 2013 3:24 PM

I seriously hope the Redskins don’t give in to this PC BS.

19. blackshirtz says: Apr 30, 2013 3:24 PM

I like the Washington Blaze. The colors could remain the same and they could put fire on the helmet.

Redtails. uuugh. I swear i would convert to a different team!

20. andrejohnsonforpresident says: Apr 30, 2013 3:24 PM

I mean… It was only an entire race that we sort of.. came in and took their land (manifest destiny is a cruel mistress).. Slaughtered their entire civilization… I mean if you really look into the things early settlers did… idk.. do some research and look at some pictures and you tell me if you want your team to be called redskins.. Let me know how you feel after you get to the gas chamber section.

21. wcucarter says: Apr 30, 2013 3:24 PM

Fans will leave that team in droves if they change the name for the sake of political correctness.

22. paulitik74 says: Apr 30, 2013 3:24 PM

I like it. It’s also a nice shout out to the Tuskegee Airmen, and might help alleviate the damage from the travesty of the movie George Lucas made trying to honor them.

23. IBleedBlueBitchez says: Apr 30, 2013 3:24 PM

I think yellowtails would be much more fitting… :)

24. eagleswin says: Apr 30, 2013 3:24 PM

———————–

Define many? In 2004 the University of Pennsylvania’s National Annenberg Election Survey found that only 9% of Native Americans found the name Redskins offensive and or racist. Native Americans who speak out in support of the Redskins have been kept out of public eye so only those against it have a voice.

25. onearmsteven says: Apr 30, 2013 3:25 PM

why don’t you guys ever talked about the “many american indians” who take pride in the name?

26. boycord says: Apr 30, 2013 3:25 PM

Grosso must be a Giants fan. Redtails kind of sucks.

27. seattlecoug says: Apr 30, 2013 3:25 PM

Redskins, Redtails, Redrovers….. doesn’t matter. They’ll never win a playoff game.

28. revskip says: Apr 30, 2013 3:25 PM

As public pressure mounts the name will eventually be changed. Sad that it has taken this long for a frank discussion on the racism inherent in the name but sometimes progress is slow.

29. 1historian says: Apr 30, 2013 3:25 PM

No one has ever heard of this guy before.

After this silly idea passes he will slip back into obscurity

But many years from now he can show his grandchildren and great-grandchildren clips from his 15 minutes of fame.

So be it

30. ghostofgilchrist says: Apr 30, 2013 3:25 PM

They can change the name to the “Whiteskins”…I won’t be offended.

31. thefox61 says: Apr 30, 2013 3:26 PM

Keep the colors, keep the logo, keep the feather, rename to the “Americans” and piss off the Cowboys!

32. siggtacular says: Apr 30, 2013 3:26 PM

I understand where Native Americans are coming from, a name change is necessary, the Redtails are lame. The Washington Warriors sounds great, and the logo could be kept.

33. skinsfan91 says: Apr 30, 2013 3:26 PM

Hmm, redtails . . . Nope.

34. cantonbound13 says: Apr 30, 2013 3:26 PM

Good idea considering everyone has kicked their tails for years.

35. logicalvoicesays says: Apr 30, 2013 3:26 PM

Washington REDSKINS forever. #Dealwithit

36. xviixxiixxvi says: Apr 30, 2013 3:27 PM

Good. God.

37. justintuckrule says: Apr 30, 2013 3:27 PM

DONE! lol

38. bmoritz2003 says: Apr 30, 2013 3:27 PM

I have some Native American blood in me, Iroquois Tribe. I’d like to officially say, shut the hell up!

39. oakraid says: Apr 30, 2013 3:27 PM

Politicians should stay out of sports. They’ve pretty much screwed everything else up.

40. blowpackblow says: Apr 30, 2013 3:27 PM

PETA wants answers, this is offensive towards other types of animals. I am offended.

41. ttommytom says: Apr 30, 2013 3:28 PM

Someone needs to dump Snyder in the middle of the Dakota’s in the middle of the night.

Would kind of suck owning that name…

42. footballhistorian says: Apr 30, 2013 3:28 PM

The United States of the Offended….to all that want to grouse about the Redskins (whom I don’t even like) or the Braves, etc – quit your snivelling. The name was never meant to denegrate anyone – it was meant to borrow from the inherent toughness associated with the “victim” in question…now go get jobs…

43. inyofaceagain says: Apr 30, 2013 3:28 PM

how lame

44. twilson962 says: Apr 30, 2013 3:28 PM

The DC council should stick to what they do best; corruption, pandering, & general miss-management of DC.

45. ad2k13 says: Apr 30, 2013 3:29 PM

Redtails is a good fit. They’re gonna get spanked every year in that division.

46. mobuccsfan says: Apr 30, 2013 3:29 PM

You know…on one hand, I agree. I kind of like it…then I think about a few different things:
    1. Is it really that big of a deal though? I mean if it were being protested constantly and brought up all the time–and maybe it is and I just don’t know, but it doesn’t appear to be a big issue as most make it out to be, then I could understand maybe wanting to change the name.
    2. Who is City Council to tell a sports team that generates lots of money as far as sales taxes, travel, tourism etc etc to change its name, when the team is privately owned by a business man. That would be like me opening a business, then the City saying to change my name because it might be viewed as slightly offensive or racial.
    3. Maybe, I’m wrong here, but I look at it as kind of an honor and a tribute, if anything else. Again, probably in the minority–good thing I’m not on Reddit or I’d get down voted to oblivion.
    4. Red-tails would essentially be a red tail hawk or in this instance, another bird mascot. Two issues with this; First, aren’t there already enough bird name mascots in the league? And secondly, not only that but the same team and closest as far as competition for fans–Baltimore Ravens? I just don’t know if I agree with that.

All of this being said, I could kind of see Red-tails and think it could work/would work but there are some flaws with this–mainly it being an issue in the first place when so much more is happening and more important in our world than worrying about team names, if a player is gay or not gay, etc etc.

47. mauldawg says: Apr 30, 2013 3:29 PM

What a bunch of crap. People need to grow up. What is wrong with the name Redskins?They have had that name for a long time. Lets everyone bow down and kiss the butt of the DC Councilman. Just about as stupid as the idiot from I think Ga. that didn’t want anymore Marines on Guam because it might tip over. Americans have lost this country because we refuse to stand up to idiots.Look at the shape we are in now because of all the left wing crap. Grow a pair!!

48. t8ertot says: Apr 30, 2013 3:30 PM

Sounds appropriate

49. barrywhererufrom says: Apr 30, 2013 3:30 PM

I want the DC Councilman to change his name to Jackass

50. jtchernak says: Apr 30, 2013 3:30 PM

I’m not even a redskins fan and this is prolly the most stupid idiotic thing I’ve ever heard. I have a Native American friend that is a huge redskins and he isn’t offended. Give it a break

51. scoonie97 says: Apr 30, 2013 3:30 PM

Dumb. This is a dumb stupid dumb idea.

52. davekezer says: Apr 30, 2013 3:31 PM

It’s not a bad idea, but there are already five NFL teams that have bird mascots, one of which is already a hawk.

Changing the name isn’t really a necessity in my mind, but I might be swayed if they think outside of the box and propose a fresh idea.

53. financialfreedom801 says: Apr 30, 2013 3:31 PM

So there’s no problems in D.C. for this politically correct moron to solve other than a team’s nickname?

54. chargerdillon says: Apr 30, 2013 3:32 PM

Why not the Blackskins or the Spearchuckers. Clearly if calling their franchise the Redskins was never deemed racist by the all powerful and mighty NFL front office their should be no issue.

Shall we have all the teams named after animals to be changed so that we don’t promote animal curelty?

Should I be offended that my Norweigian ancestors are respresented by some bald jackwagon who wears horns and rides a harley into the stadium?

There’s a term for what needs to happen here, MAN-UP

55. skinswillsurprise says: Apr 30, 2013 3:32 PM

Not bad!! HTTR (Hail to the Redtails)!!!

56. rt66jake says: Apr 30, 2013 3:32 PM

As reported by Conan O’Brien: “In response to the D.C. Councilman’s concerns, Dan Snyder agreed to change the team’s name to something less offensive: The Maryland Redskins.”

57. kvanhorn87 says: Apr 30, 2013 3:32 PM

I would love for their logo to just be the feather.

58. elvis2013 says: Apr 30, 2013 3:32 PM

LOL, Red Tails, after getting that *** spanked.

59. jcmeyer10 says: Apr 30, 2013 3:33 PM

I like it.

On a side note. I just don’t get how a bunch of white people can say what is or isn’t offensive to Native Americans.

60. colonelcamp says: Apr 30, 2013 3:33 PM

Redtails? That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. Call for a name change all you want but at least suggest something better than that.

61. kev3west says: Apr 30, 2013 3:34 PM

Red-tailed Hawk, aka “chickenhawk.” No thanks.

62. mrbigass says: Apr 30, 2013 3:34 PM

In this day and age all it takes is 3 people to get on the internet and claim something is offensive and boom, it’s a big deal.

All these nutjobs running around playin’ the political correctness game is gettin’ on my last nerve.

Get over it…….

63. vikesfan320 says: Apr 30, 2013 3:34 PM

If you change the name and logo of a team, people have to start all over buying their sports memorabilia, which could make ridiculous cash. Surprised a guy like Dan Snyder isn’t all over this…

64. nebster21 says: Apr 30, 2013 3:34 PM

I guess you can name another person that is not going to be re elected.

65. procre8te says: Apr 30, 2013 3:35 PM

Im a DIE HARD skins’ fan, and to be honest at this point I dont even care if they change the name becuase I’m so sick of hearing the PC police decry the inhumanity of the term REDSKINS. BUT… Just for full disclosure let me point out a few little tid bits

1. The team was NAMED AFTER A NATIVE AMERICAN. In fact that coach at the time of the name change from the boston braves was Lone Star Dietz, was a sioux indian. So yea, It makes total sense that the team would HIRE a native american just so they could then in turn name the team a “derogatory” term. GPM (george Preston Mashall) really must have hated this cat so much so that he would HIRE him and then rename the team to infuriate him. Makes perfect sense.

2. All I know is that the day the name is forcibly changed, I will start teh campaign to change the Notre’ Dame “fighting Irish” becuase as a partial Irish decent I find that VERY derogarty, indicatting that Irish people are all violent Fighting people. I will also activly seek to change the New Jersey Devils, as I either am a god loving person, or hey.. maybe im a Athetist and that term totally offends me. Other teams to follow will include but not limited to: Vancouver Canucks (derogatory name for canidians) , golden state warriors (war mongers), Dallas Mavericks (promote gambling), Oakland Raiders (violent thieving pirates), Tampa bay Bucccenners (spanish pirates that attacked shipping), kansas city Chiefs and ALL other native american references i.e. Braves, blackhawks etc.., Minnasota Vikings (sea faringing Invading and Raiders/killers), san jose Earthquakes (obvious),

3. Source of Pride for indians. We took their land, bury their tradition, and now we want to erase and sinage, logo, or memories of a proud people. Braves on the warpath…. um not anymore. May as well just forget native americans all togheter.

Sigh…. Go RedTails

66. raider8er says: Apr 30, 2013 3:35 PM

Not a bad idea.

Keep the colors, change the logo a little bit and there you have it.

Think of how much money Snyder will make with fans buying the new gear. Plus, when has the Redskins updated their uni?

It’s not like it in the same untouchable class of uniforms like the Cowboys, Packers, Chief and Raiders. Browns too.

67. harrisonhits2 says: Apr 30, 2013 3:35 PM

“What is wrong with the name Redskins?They have had that name for a long time. ”
    ____________________

@ mauldawg

What’s wrong ? To native Americans its the equivalent of the N word for African Americans. Or the equivalent of the C word for Asians etc.

Its a racial slur. If the team had been called the Washington N-words for a long time would that make it right ? Of course not.

68. bigdawg24 says: Apr 30, 2013 3:35 PM

I find the name Cowboys offensive.

Let’s change their name to Cow Tails…

69. sicarii87 says: Apr 30, 2013 3:35 PM

If they change the name then the terrorists win….

But seriously… It’s the nickname of a SPORTS team. You know how many people immediately think Indians when they hear “Washington Redskins”? O yea, like no one.

70. alphaq2 says: Apr 30, 2013 3:35 PM

I thought it was the Native American group that wanted the trademark to not be recognized? Weren’t they saying that it’s not fair that they cannot make money off the trademarked property?

Snyder has said he won’t change the name. It’s going to take Congress getting involved to make it happen. I seriously doubt that happens. On the bright side, at least it gives a cause to all those that desperately need one. Cough cough Mike Wise and PFT…

71. mrpresident2 says: Apr 30, 2013 3:35 PM

Why must we be so politically correct? How many native Americans are offended by this? Maybe if they were offended they should speak up, instead of others assuming they’re offended and acting upon that assumption.

72. bertyboz says: Apr 30, 2013 3:36 PM

This politically correct society has gone too far. People must be bored to be worried about a team’s nickname.

Redtails… what a joke.

73. savocabol1 says: Apr 30, 2013 3:36 PM

I think some people don’t realize that saying the word redskins is like calling black people the n word.

74. shaunypoo says: Apr 30, 2013 3:36 PM

I prefer the term Native Americans. My ancestors are not from India.

75. jamaltimore says: Apr 30, 2013 3:37 PM

It’s about time. In one breath the NFL comes out praising anyone who wants to share their gayness and stands by them as HERO’s. On the other hand they stand by and do nothing while Belt buckle boy continues to sell his racists gear! I would say American Indians in this country actually are hero’s for what they had taken from them. Then again the guy running the NFL, like most others running our other institutions, is a TOOL!

76. nebster21 says: Apr 30, 2013 3:38 PM

I have gone through Indian reservations and casinos wearing Redskins gear and I got compliments. Not one person told me I was being disrespectful. Not one!

77. bdiesel757 says: Apr 30, 2013 3:38 PM

In other news…..

Councilman Grosso has been declared a lame duck member of the council….

78. wiley16350 says: Apr 30, 2013 3:38 PM

They originally were the Braves, so they could just go back to that nickname. Be the Washington Braves. Keep the colors and logo and all that the same. If they need to change the logo then change it to the spear. You would think that would be a good compromise. Although, I am not one that really thinks they should be forced to change the name since the nickname was created to celebrate their native american coach at the time.

79. nightrain42 says: Apr 30, 2013 3:38 PM

Not everything is meant to be offensive. Political correctness is stupid sometimes.

80. jikkle49 says: Apr 30, 2013 3:39 PM

The name is fine as most people don’t even associate or use the word Redskins as an offensive term or slam against Native Americans.

You say name Redskins and the first thing almost all will think of is the football team and not Native Americans.

81. abninf says: Apr 30, 2013 3:39 PM

Redtails would be sexist towards Native American women.

82. sicarii87 says: Apr 30, 2013 3:40 PM

Also, I hope he moves the team if he’s forced to change the name.

83. stevent92 says: Apr 30, 2013 3:40 PM

For the record, I would find “Whiteskins” absolutely hilarious and may even buy a jersey for the lame Alfred Morris, provided he’s good enough to even print one.

84. rr2000k says: Apr 30, 2013 3:40 PM

That’s offensive to hawks!!!!!

85. glad4sgone says: Apr 30, 2013 3:40 PM

As a fan of red tailed hawks, I am offended and outraged with this idea…

86. aneaglesfan says: Apr 30, 2013 3:41 PM

I not only dislike this proposed name change I just hate it. Since politicians have only proven they know how to screw up what they are hired/elected to do why on earth would we listen to them for advice. Let us not forget I am the last person that is in favor of another move towards politically correctness.

87. MasMacho says: Apr 30, 2013 3:41 PM

Redtails.. as in we just got spanked by the Seahawks in the playoffs and our tails are a stinging, bright red.

88. FlyFromTheInside says: Apr 30, 2013 3:41 PM

And the dead horse continues to be beaten….

89. 2ruefan says: Apr 30, 2013 3:42 PM

Leave it alone. Political correctness at it’s absolute worst. Never offended anybody for the last 50 years. Now all of a sudden “Oh, it’s so terrible, we’re so much more enlightened and educated and correct now.. we can’t have this.” Blah, blah, blah.. PUKE!

90. buffalomafia says: Apr 30, 2013 3:42 PM

Fire your mayor

91. psuorioles says: Apr 30, 2013 3:42 PM

HAHA… what a joke of a city and organization….

92. dvdman123 says: Apr 30, 2013 3:42 PM

This has got to a joke right?

93. garyhd01 says: Apr 30, 2013 3:43 PM

oh I forget to change the Indians to squaws oh crap that’s offensive make it the squabs while we are on the bird theme

94. shaggytoodle says: Apr 30, 2013 3:43 PM

At least the guy tossed a name out there, while taking their tradition in consideration.

He obviously thought about it, unlike most people who just scream that they want anything, but the Redskins.

95. hrmlss says: Apr 30, 2013 3:43 PM

My wife is a Navajo and has no problem with the name.

96. buffalomafia says: Apr 30, 2013 3:43 PM

Sorry! What I meant to say is fire that councilman!

97. raidermon says: Apr 30, 2013 3:44 PM

Hmm… Redtail. Kinda like those red-@ssed baboons?! How ’bout this…? Disenfranchise the team and move it to Toronto. Call them the Toronto Beavers.

98. galluswien says: Apr 30, 2013 3:47 PM

“Their tails are gonna be red, after we whoop dat ass!”

99. revskip says: Apr 30, 2013 3:48 PM

mrpresident2 says: Apr 30, 2013 3:35 PM

———————————————————–

Many have spoken up but they are drowned out by the loud voices of the bigots that defend the name. A huge protest of several Native tribes stood outside the Super Bowl when Washington played the Bills last time they made it to a Super Bowl. Another group of Natives took a grievance all the way to the Supreme Court but found no allies there either.

100. 81buckeye says: Apr 30, 2013 3:48 PM

Thanks for the link to Wikipedia. I learned a great deal about the Redtail Hawk this afternoon.

101. jwm042085 says: Apr 30, 2013 3:48 PM

not all hawks are from the sea…we should change the seahawks too cause thats just offensive to other hawks from other places

102. broccolilava says: Apr 30, 2013 3:48 PM

Of course Redskins is a racist name. How can anybody even suggest that that isn’t a racist name? Get a clue. For crying out loud, watch some Looney Tunes, or something. They don’t hide it.

If you don’t want to change the name because you don’t want people’s feelings to get in your way, then fine. But don’t pretend that a team literally named a racist epithet isn’t just that. Have the guts to admit it’s racist and defend your stance against changing it.

The name will get changed some day, and you can all get together and cry about how unfair it is to you.

103. beerbudsnbevo says: Apr 30, 2013 3:50 PM

What a bunch of PC crap…

On the other hand, I would love to see this happen so I can make fun of every Redtails Er… I mean redskins fan I know.

104. jjthesportsguy says: Apr 30, 2013 3:51 PM

So this is offensive to Native Americans, but the seminole is a tribute to them? Make up your damn minds. What are people going to complain about next? Isn’t there a global warming problem you all can complain about?

105. blackqbwhiterb says: Apr 30, 2013 3:52 PM

If I was Snyder I’d move the franchise to a city that would be happy to have the Redskins… If he gives in, I’m no longer a fan…

106. ketchupaholic says: Apr 30, 2013 3:52 PM

Redtails? And that’s not racist? P-51s that had their tails painted red to show the color of the poeple flying them? What a STUPID IDEA!

107. billinva says: Apr 30, 2013 3:53 PM

The Washington Generals would be fitting.

The team that always loses to the Harlem Globetrotters.

108. johnclaytonsponytail says: Apr 30, 2013 3:54 PM

Im offended by the 49ers name. Cause I’m 49 and not happy about it one bit.

109. whereyaat says: Apr 30, 2013 3:54 PM

I think the “Chickenhawks” would be a far more appropriate, and factually accurate moniker.

110. cfbfan2013 says: Apr 30, 2013 3:54 PM

Wonder if Washingon would rather have the mascot name or lose the team? Let’s test it and see Snyder look at a move to a new city.

111. m2karateman says: Apr 30, 2013 3:55 PM

Enough with the PC crap already. It’s gotten to the point of people griping just to gripe, and not because their complaint holds any merit. The team name has been that way for decades. Leave it alone.

112. fissels says: Apr 30, 2013 3:55 PM

We all needed a good laugh this afternoon. Thanks

113. jacktheraven says: Apr 30, 2013 3:57 PM

If they change their name to Redtails, they probably should change the city too. They play in MD and their FO & training facility will be in VA.
    There’s nothing Washington about them.

114. august589 says: Apr 30, 2013 3:57 PM

Most Native Americans–my wife and mother-in-law included–couldn’t care less about the name “Redskins.” And the councilman wants to replace “Redskins” with “Redtails??” EWWWWW!!!

115. auroraborealisfan says: Apr 30, 2013 3:58 PM

If it’s the same thing as calling blacks the “n” word, then why aren’t the politically correct calling it the “r” word? I don’t think it’s the same thing at all.

116. theclaim says: Apr 30, 2013 3:59 PM

Washington fans already KNOW what happens when you change the name of an EXTREMELY popular sports franchise. It plummets fiscally. The Bullets were a team I LOVED, I still can’t get on board cheering for The Wizards. I would rather HOPE for a Sonics return. The Redskins WILL never change their name. It is steeped in tradition with a rich history. If hearing the term REALLY offends you, you are completely out of touch. Turn on ANY top 40 radio station and you’ll hear ENDLESS references to racial slurs that ARE offensive. Aunt Jemima Syrup is on ALL of your local supermarket shelves. Red man chewing tobacco? Look around people, there are FAR more offensive racial epithets all around you ALL the time. Let me ask, have you EVER heard the phrase REDSKIN, PLEASE? Have you EVER heard ANYONE not just fans of a team use this term as a slur? Nope you haven’t, because it isn’t. I agree that in the 1800s and early 1900s this may have been the case. Point in short. Let’s abolish racism before addressing something as arbitrary as a football teams name. If we are going THERE. ALOT of teams need renaming. Bucs, Raiders, 9ers Vikings, Cheifs… I could go on for awhile. Unless YOU ARE USING THIS NAME AS A SLUR, it isn’t. Grow up, open your eyes and address one of the MANY real issues tearing our country apart. Pretty sure you CAN NOT put THAT on the Redskins. Have a good one!

117. august589 says: Apr 30, 2013 3:59 PM

Oh–one more thing… Quit dredging up an issue where there is none.

118. starfan79 says: Apr 30, 2013 3:59 PM

I hate the redskins and don’t really care.. Although its an old team with tradition and I do like tradition. I would keep it if I was the owner. I really wouldn’t name myself the redtails either… Lets name them the Red Dawn or the Red Dead.. All stupid names.

119. cajunaise says: Apr 30, 2013 3:59 PM

If you stop being a Redskins fan because they decide to change the name of the team (and they will, eventually), it essentially means your love of a racial epithet will have outweighed your love of football. Some might say that speaks volumes.

120. tformation says: Apr 30, 2013 4:00 PM

I’m of the opinion that the Redskins are a private organization and call themselves whatever they like. My advice to them would be to not give an inch on this issue, because once you admit any sliver of guilt, suddenly you’ll have a slew of professional victims whining in the media how that inch should be a couple miles plus reparations. And you’ll end up calling yourself something as ridiculous as the Redheinies or something.

If you must, get rid of the red-skinned guy on the logo. Play up the tradition of the name while adopting a more modern logo.

At absolute worst, consider the name “The Hogs.” If nothing else, it’s appropriate for Washington D.C.

121. 49erstim says: Apr 30, 2013 4:01 PM

Keep the feather…call them the Ticklers!

122. seaeagle707 says: Apr 30, 2013 4:02 PM

Well, it is D.C., so you can’t get rid of the “red” part. But talking about anyone’s skin or the color of it isn’t PC. Unless that person is white, and then all insults are okay. But getting back to my original thought, since it is D.C., the heartland of red ink, why not the RED-INKERS?

Gives it an occupational feel like, Packers, Raiders, or Cow boys. As an alternative perhaps the name REDTAPERS, would work, giving a nod to bureaucratic work practices.

123. christophershearin says: Apr 30, 2013 4:02 PM

since when did everything offend somebody? I mean hell if you look really hard around the office I am sure you can find something that slighltly offends you, and you can sue for……….. People need to grow a pair………

124. farmmbig says: Apr 30, 2013 4:04 PM

I recommend North Dakota change their name from “Sioux” to “Sue” and have an Attorney as their logo— They can keep everything the same!

125. vtsquirm says: Apr 30, 2013 4:04 PM

_________________________

Excuse me, are you native american? how do you know that they consider this a racial slur?

This is essentially the same as a white person saying that African Americans should or should not be offended by ___ (any racial slur you wish to insert here)

I have yet to hear from any Native Americans that are offended. I do keep hearing from other ethic groups telling us what native americans do and do not feel is a racist term. I’m sure there are a few out there, but the majority of Native Americans that I have heard from like the name.

126. jack3dsd says: Apr 30, 2013 4:04 PM

I live in SD and know for a fact that if indians wanted the named changed they would sue Dan Snyder and drop the charges for a couple million dollar settlement and build a casino that would tank and then be bankrupt again looking for the next person to get money from

127. indychiefsfan says: Apr 30, 2013 4:04 PM

Maybe the Native American society could weigh in on this before some suit in D.C. who has probably never seen a pro football game starts trying to change the teams name and logos. I can see both sides of this arguement but this councilman doesnt have any right to spearhead the effort ( no pun intended)

128. southpaw77 says: Apr 30, 2013 4:05 PM

The level of political correctness is offending me already . Suck it up.

People want the Cleveland Indians logo and name changed, then its the Redskins, then what. The KC Chiefs, Atlanta Braves?

Are the Irish clamoring for the Notre Dame logo and name to be changed since its a stereotype that they all like to fight?

Then what, PETA wants all animal names changed?

No National anthem since its offensive to other countries watching on tv, then what?

It just keeps going.

129. eatitfanboy says: Apr 30, 2013 4:05 PM

I actually have no strong opinion over whether or not the name should be changed, but I do feel the need to correct one factual error being parroted by so many commenters:

Unlike the term “Braves” or the names of individual tribes, like “Seminoles” or Sioux”, which are positive or accepted terms for Native Americans, the term “Redskin” was coined as an insult to Native Americans by early settlers.

It was never meant as a compliment, it was always intended as an pejorative term to belittle.

Have whatever opinion you want, but at least have your facts straight.

130. 49erstim says: Apr 30, 2013 4:05 PM

…or go the red-tailed hawk route, but have the hawk have one crazy leg that goes askew!

131. starchybunker says: Apr 30, 2013 4:06 PM

I like the idea of changing the name to DC Pigskins…a reference to the legendary HOGS and can still call them the ‘Skins…

132. theclaim says: Apr 30, 2013 4:06 PM

ketchupaholic says:
    Apr 30, 2013 3:52 PM

The Tuskeegee airmen agree! Or wait is the name to HONOR them or to keep a slur alive? The name Redskins is in homage to the Warriors that fought valiantly to uphold their values and traditions, not unlike TODAY’S Redskins football team is doing regarding the teams name

133. southpaw77 says: Apr 30, 2013 4:07 PM

Ya know that Chicago Blackhawks logo is offensive too.

Losing is offensive, can we all get trophies afterwards?

All this “I am offended” crap has got to stop.

134. vtsquirm says: Apr 30, 2013 4:08 PM

the only viable alternative that I’d accept would be to toss the logo and keep the name and the “R” (think joe gibbs cap) as the new logo or put the R in the circle with the feather.

135. theclaim says: Apr 30, 2013 4:08 PM

Pretty certain David Grosso just committed political suicide in Washington, Don’t see him having another term in office.

136. jojopuppyfish says: Apr 30, 2013 4:09 PM

How about the Washington Red Epidermises?

137. redbirdsrising says: Apr 30, 2013 4:10 PM

As a Cardinals fan, RedTails is a horrible name.

As tformation said, “Hogs”, or “Red Hogs” or something like that would be better than “redtails”. A tribute to the team’s glory days.

Or even better, call them “Red Handed” because most of the politicians in DC usually get caught that way.

138. 4gone says: Apr 30, 2013 4:12 PM

Borrowing from another poster (sorry to lazy to look it up) in a previous article about this topic “keep the name, just change the logo to a red potato” Done and Done.

139. sanityinsd says: Apr 30, 2013 4:13 PM

As my wise brother (and former Skins fan) has said for years, just change the logo and put a potato on their helmet and they can still be called the Redskins.

140. dmarek says: Apr 30, 2013 4:14 PM

So for the traditionalists, just to be sure, Brownskins or Whiteskins would be okay too, right?

Washington Reds. End of gripes.

141. redbirdsrising says: Apr 30, 2013 4:14 PM

BTW, to the guy who brought up “Seminoles” as a comparison…. apples and oranges. FSU, and all NCAA colleges that use indian references, must have permission from the local tribes to use the name and they work with the tribe to maintain the image.

“Redskin” is a generalized term directed toward Indians and was typically used as a derogatory term. We went through a similar thing here in Phoenix when one of our local mountains was named “Squaw Peak”. Squaw being offensive to many tribes as a derogatory term toward indian women.

Our Governor at the time strong armed a name change to pay tribute to Lori Piestewa. Most of us didn’t agree, but slowly its sticking and eventually nobody will care.

142. titan4ever595 says: Apr 30, 2013 4:14 PM

It is funny all the people on here crying racism that are not even Native American.

Take it from a Native American who was raised on a reservation in OK. Most of us got over stuff like this generations ago. Once the tribes started dressing up in tribal garb and dancing around in the lobbies of Casinos, offence went out the window.

If you want to scream racism for a group of people that you do not belong to, how about talking to a few and see if they want you to.

143. fwippel says: Apr 30, 2013 4:14 PM

Oh pull-lllease! This political correctness has got to stop.

Red-tails? How about something more appropriate like the Washington spending deficits, or the Washington crooked politicians?

This team has been the Redskins since they were founded in Boston in the 1930s. Leave it alone.

144. Chris Henry's Wild Ride says: Apr 30, 2013 4:15 PM

In other news, Americans are getting more sensitive by the day.

145. thebuzzonny says: Apr 30, 2013 4:15 PM

BREAKING NEWS: Council member David Grosso was spotted earlier today making dinner RESERVATIONS with CHIEF WAHOO. Then attempted to SCALP tickets to the Capitals game Thursday night.

146. seaeagle707 says: Apr 30, 2013 4:15 PM

EVERY reference to native Americans should be taken down and obliterated from the English language. Did they want to sue General Motors as well, for Pontiac (the name of a chief)? But let’s rid ourselves once and for all of all mentions of any N.A. name or description. We can simply ignore them and their casinos and discount cigarette selling empires. We can make America over, so they don’t exist in our realities. We can totally isolate them, since it is THEY that resent our using any reference to them. Atlanta doesn’t need the “Braves”. They can have the “Wimps” instead.

147. 202folife says: Apr 30, 2013 4:16 PM

As a kid growing up in DC I loved the Washington pro football team (refuse to say/write the name) but as I became older and realize how racist the name is I can’t stand them. Snyder didn’t help either.

148. eatitfanboy says: Apr 30, 2013 4:17 PM

theclaim says:
    Apr 30, 2013 4:08 PM

LOL- you have absolutely no understanding of DC politics.

First of all, the Redskins don’t play in DC and 95% of their season ticket base lives outside of the district.

Secondly, Grosso’s home district is very diverse and progressive. Chances are this position will only help his political future.

149. censormynameandmycomments says: Apr 30, 2013 4:17 PM

Redtails? That movie was terrible. Should we rename other teams after terrible movies? We could have The Anaheim Howard the Ducks, The Chicago Bad News Bears (the Billy Bob Thornton version), The Dallas Cowboys and Aliens, The New York Iron Giants (ok I liked this movie), The Houston Rocketteers, The Oklahoma City Days of Thunder, The Philadelphia Eagle Eyes, or my favorite- The San Francisco Plan 49ers From Outer Space.

150. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Apr 30, 2013 4:18 PM

“This new name offends me”.
    Sincerely, a Cardinal bird

151. farrisboy says: Apr 30, 2013 4:20 PM

In a city that’s in the bottom 5% in the country in safety and 0.6% over the national average in unemployment rate, this is the issue the councilman needs to address?

152. raiderlyfe510 says: Apr 30, 2013 4:21 PM

You don’t change a logo and brand that’s associated with 3 championships. Nobody cared about the “Redskins” name until they started winning again.

When I hear “Redskins” I don’t even think of Native Americans. I think of Riggins, Monk, Joe Gibbs, Ricky Sanders, the hogs and Counter-Trey, Darrell Green, Manley…etc.

The name Redskins represnts a history of power football, vertical passing, and championship defense. Jack Kent Cook standard of football excellence. To change the brand and logo will be asinine….considering all that it represents.

153. evrybdyhas1 says: Apr 30, 2013 4:21 PM

Call this a crazy idea but in a free society….. freedom means calling your team what ever you damn well please and all those offended can exercise their freedom of choice to not watch or attend games.

If we all think alike we can all be politically correct and then who needs freedom!

Get rid of this name and we then can all forget the plight of Native Americans and have a squeaky clean conscience or the name can serve as an honor and reminder.

If you don’t like it see first paragraph

154. 1standinches says: Apr 30, 2013 4:22 PM

If Alabama is considered “Red Man” then why are they so pressed about this name thats been around for 80 yrs when that state has been here longer than that? Exactly Sit your you know what down Grosso.

155. panthers34 says: Apr 30, 2013 4:22 PM

When I clicked on this I thought he was talking about the Tuskegee Airmen. Their new logo could be a P51 Mustang.

156. paulitik74 says: Apr 30, 2013 4:23 PM

For the idiots that say the Native Americans should speak up if they are offended:

1) They have been, and fighting against the use of the name, even so much as taking it to court over copyright laws.

2) When 99% of your race has been either slaughtered or killed by disease, it’s kind of tough to gather enough people, or get enough money together to create an effective lobby.

For the “Historians” out there, the Washington Redskins have a notorious history of racism since moving to the DC area, they were one of the last teams in professional sports to integrate, oh yeah, and by the way their name is a freaking racial slur.

Sorry, “Braves” is not offensive. Chief Knockahoma, offensive, the name is not. The Cleveland Indian’s mascot and logo is. You may make an argument for the tomahawk chop, but the FSU Seminoles rally cry is similar and approved by that tribe.

Sorry, this is the 21st century, a team name shouldn’t offend anyone. There shouldn’t be a debate, if you can’t see that “Redskins” isn’t wrong, especially in the context of this coutnry’s history of treatment to native people, then you are blind.

157. noring4youstill says: Apr 30, 2013 4:23 PM

No the crooked politicians that do business there give the city a bad name

158. corvusrex96 says: Apr 30, 2013 4:23 PM

Not sure why the councilman cares the redskins don’t play in DC

159. dbones750 says: Apr 30, 2013 4:24 PM

Just when I think the Redskins couldn’t be any more of a joke….I am proven wrong.

160. commonsensedude says: Apr 30, 2013 4:25 PM

Since the ‘Skins haven’t played in DC for sixteen years now, I’m sort of missing how this is any of DC’s business.

161. schmitty2 says: Apr 30, 2013 4:27 PM

I can just hear the innuedos now- “Chasing the tails in the standings” “come from behind win by the tails” The possibilities are endless

162. geniusesq says: Apr 30, 2013 4:28 PM

Wow. Take a seat councilman.

163. mancave001 says: Apr 30, 2013 4:29 PM

I have a new idea. I say we all getting up and relentlessly mock anyone who even proposes such name changes. The stupidity is amazing.

164. kenstabler says: Apr 30, 2013 4:29 PM

I can see the first headline after their first loss “Red-Tails tuck their tales and can’t run”.

165. jelliot1978 says: Apr 30, 2013 4:37 PM

from Webster
    [count] informal + offensive : native american ◊The word redskin is very offensive and should be avoided.

If that is the definition from a respected dictionary does that not make you think the word should not be used, especially by a professional sports team? It has long been used in a derogatory meaning, not as harshly as the N word but still in unflattering terms. Sure some Native Americans may not find it offensive, just as some African Americans may not get bothered by the N word. The problem is that some do. The term has in time lost some of its harshness but that does not erase that the term was used for a long period of time as derogatory towards the people who inhabited this land before the European settlers came.

166. geniusesq says: Apr 30, 2013 4:39 PM

Polls show that Native American’s don’t even care. Stop with the fake outrage. HAIL TO THE REDSKINS

167. nachohippo says: Apr 30, 2013 4:40 PM

in 2016 they will be known as the Warriors. The colors won’t change and the mascot won’t change

168. jdubkc says: Apr 30, 2013 4:41 PM

whereyaat says:Apr 30, 2013 3:54 PM

_______________________________

Hold On! I’m a Jayhawk fan and that would take the wind out of every Misswho fan in the Kansas City area! Next Idea!

169. doclolly says: Apr 30, 2013 4:41 PM

Like our government doesn’t have any more pressing issues then what the name of a football team is.

170. richndc says: Apr 30, 2013 4:42 PM

For some perspective: There used to be a tree in a town in Texas in the town square of the county seat, all the locals called it the “hanging tree”. Everyone used the exact same kind of warped logic I see in many of the posts above when people finally started asking it be cut down. It’s funny how it’s a free country or ‘just a symbol’ when talking about certain things, but not others.

171. bytme says: Apr 30, 2013 4:43 PM

“With increasing talk that “Redskins” is a racial slur…”

The vast majority of the “talk” has been on PFT. I live in DC and it’s not even a whisper.

172. jdubkc says: Apr 30, 2013 4:44 PM

paulitik74 says:Apr 30, 2013 4:23 PM

_____________________________

So are they offened or just want to get paid?…. Kind of goes against your agrument.

173. jacktheraven says: Apr 30, 2013 4:45 PM

Doesn’t DC have more to worry about, than the name of their football team? If I was Dan snyder, I would change my name to the VA Lovers.

174. thirdistheworrd says: Apr 30, 2013 4:46 PM

_____________
    Which? Where? Cite your sources. If you can cite a legitimate source saying that “many [Natives] have said the name ‘Redskins is racist and offensive…” I will drop all arguments and fully support efforts to change the name to the “Red Tails”, or the “Warriors”, or the “Public Officials trying to make a name for themselves by stirring up tired old issues”.

175. jerseyshoregiant says: Apr 30, 2013 4:50 PM

Red Tails is really a pathetic name.

176. scouter2012 says: Apr 30, 2013 4:51 PM

The Redfails has a nice ring to it.

177. jerseyshoregiant says: Apr 30, 2013 4:52 PM

nachohippo says: Apr 30, 2013 4:40 PM

—————————————-

My first thought on a name change was Warriors and I would keep the uniforms exactly the same.

178. theclaim says: Apr 30, 2013 4:53 PM

raider8er says:
    Apr 30, 2013 3:35 PM
    Not a bad idea.

Keep the colors, change the logo a little bit and there you have it.

KIDDING RIGHT? Snyder would lose ENORMOUS revenue. I have a TON of REDSKINS memorabilia. I wear throwbacks most of the time already. No WAY I put a penny towards any REDTAILS gear. IF(and it won’t) the name WERE to change I would RELIGIUSLY wear my REDSINS stuff. DC has been down this path and it seems like a small thing changing a teams name. The Bullets will tell you it is NOT. Team name change all but KILLED that franchise. Where does it end? Am I going to have to come up with a new knickname for one of my FAVORITE NBA players EVER? Pistol Pete is rolling over in his grave. RIP Pete I got your back!

179. jerseyshoregiant says: Apr 30, 2013 4:55 PM

jelliot1978 says: Apr 30, 2013 4:37 PM

from Webster

————————————
    Every black person is offended if someone other than a black person uses the N word. Black kids started using the word 25 + years ago to take ownership of it.

180. zack2482 says: Apr 30, 2013 4:55 PM

To borrow from yahoo: How about names them the Washington Cicadas – in that the team is only winning team every 17 years or so!

181. majormeatcurtains says: Apr 30, 2013 4:56 PM

If they change their name to RedTails and EVER lose a team mate or ever FAIL to win the Super Bowl EVERY year, we will be offended. Signed: The Tuskeegee Airmen, the original RedTails!

182. formerworldchamps says: Apr 30, 2013 4:56 PM

A friend of mine’s job involves traveling to many western “indian reservations” in an official capacity.On my request he has asked many native americans how THEY feel. It’s about 60/40 they couldn’t care less.

183. baddegg says: Apr 30, 2013 4:56 PM

Several things:

1. Retails sounds stupid. Nice concept but think of something else.

2. DC politicians are among the most corrupt in the country, nay, the world. Ironic that one would lecture us on morality.

3. No matter what you say, Snyder is not going to change the name until he’s darn good and ready — or is being compelled to by the President, the Supreme Court, or John Mara.

4. Isn’t it about time for another story on RGIII’s recovery or the whereabouts of Tim Tebow?

184. kmartin173 says: Apr 30, 2013 5:03 PM

Just change the name to the Washington Liberals and let political correctness win the day once again.

185. lionsfansince87 says: Apr 30, 2013 5:06 PM

Any name change to reflect reality should be the Washington Redtape

186. emptyjay429 says: Apr 30, 2013 5:07 PM

How about Red Tape? Seems to fit the DC scene.

187. seattlecoug says: Apr 30, 2013 5:10 PM

How about the Washington Lastplacers?

188. ham1 says: Apr 30, 2013 5:11 PM

Don’t get me wrong I never want the name changed and Redtails is pathetic.

I once heard a baseball team local to the area in the 40’s called the Hustlers. I mean if your gonna come up with a name come up with something decent. Look what happened when the idiots changed the name from the bullets to the freaking Wizards……puke.

189. rg3isvictory says: Apr 30, 2013 5:11 PM

DC Councilman Moron, how did you come up with that name?

190. bhindenemylines says: Apr 30, 2013 5:12 PM

I’m part Cherokee and part Micmac Indian. I have been a Cowboys’ fan for the last 40 years. I could care less that they are still called The Redskins.

I’m also 1/4 Irish and think the Fighting Irish is more derogatory than The Redskins. The mascot looks like a drunk in a bad fight.

191. mobuccsfan says: Apr 30, 2013 5:18 PM

Accidently hit this report comment button trying to give a thumbs up to corvusrex96. Please ignore and forgive–both commenter and PFT. That dang button is too close to the thumbs up and down and I was trying to hurry through comments–again, apologies. I was agreeing with his comment and nothing to be reported or looked into.

Plus, I know you guys are really busy hammering out more where Tebow won’t go articles, gay or not gay articles, Geno pouting and the Jets’ dysfunction and more, so I really don’t want to take away from that! Keep up the good work! I love these articles and all the comments. Helps the day go by much better and feel a small gap in the off-season. I’m just ready for the real games to start again!

192. rushg says: Apr 30, 2013 5:20 PM

And as for the Seahawk fan who wrote “it wouldn’t matter, we’ll never win a playoff game”, obviously you have never looked at the hawks trophy case, talking about never!!! How stupid can you really be..

193. realskipbayless says: Apr 30, 2013 5:22 PM

This shouldn’t be an issue. They aren’t my fav team or anything but in my opinion its MD’s real team. Its been the Redskins for a long time. No reason to change now. You can’t make everyone happy. I know if they change it I will no longer support that team whatsoever and I’m sure I’m not alone. If people don’t like it don’t watch them. Easy as that. It should be up to the owner of the team whether or not a name change is in place.

194. theclaim says: Apr 30, 2013 5:23 PM

195. mediasloppy says: Apr 30, 2013 5:27 PM

Red-Tailed Hawks
    Cardinals
    Seahawks
    Ravens
    Eagles

I see a pattern.

196. theclaim says: Apr 30, 2013 5:28 PM

No you CAN’T still use the fight song
    Hail to the Redtails
    Hail Victory
    Birds on the warflight
    Swoop for old DC?
    ……..
    ……..
    ………
    Fight on fight on til you have won birds of Washington?

197. NotoriousKDV says: Apr 30, 2013 5:29 PM

While I do support changing the name, I don’t like Redtails. Even if it is referring to a Hawk, it just doesn’t sound that intimidating. Whenever they do finally decide to change the name, I hope it’s something that sounds more intimidating than Redtails.

198. thirdistheworrd says: Apr 30, 2013 5:32 PM

formerworldchamps says:
    Apr 30, 2013 4:56 PM
    ____________
    As much as your friend’s help is appreciated, the only real survey on the subject was much more definitive. The 2004 survey by UPenn’s Annenberg Public Policy Institute, a poll carried out over five years, concluded that 92% of Natives did not find the name offensive. Until somebody comes up with a study to the contrary, discussion of the topic will continue to be nothing more than media buzz and meaningless posturing by politicians and journalists.

199. 4sacroc says: Apr 30, 2013 5:35 PM

What a tool.

200. peytonsneck18 says: Apr 30, 2013 5:38 PM

called them the WASHED-UP-INGTO FAILEDSKINS!!!!

201. jlswisc says: Apr 30, 2013 5:47 PM

Here is the ting that is always overlooked in this conversation. Context.

Fans of the team ROOT FOR the REDSKINS. They use the word in a POSITIVE way. They want the Redskins to WIN and do WELL.

The only ones who use the term in a negative way are the haters.

But the vast majority of people who support the team and the term, use it in a positive way, with only positive meaning.

/Case Closed.

202. peytonsneck18 says: Apr 30, 2013 5:51 PM

OR THE WASHINGTON OVERATEDS

203. regis18 says: Apr 30, 2013 5:52 PM

How about Red Tails in honor of the Tuskegee airmen? You could even replace the American Indian logo on the helmets with a World War II fighter aircraft. That would be a hell of an improvement.

204. standintexas says: Apr 30, 2013 5:54 PM

I AGREE, I AGREE, I AGREE.
    Redskins is racist and offensive.
    Redtails is the most stupid thing I have ever heard.
    Why should we saddle the Native Americans and poor birds with this organization.

Just get on with it and name them the COWBOY WANNBE’S. Who could object to that????????

205. defscottyb says: Apr 30, 2013 5:56 PM

After taking it up the wazzoo from the PC wackos Red-Tails would be a perfect name! They would be leaving with a red tail. What a stupid idea, please do your job and fix what’s really wrong in DC and stop deflecting away the real issues at hand like poverty, rampant drug useage, corruption, alcoholism, violent crimes on and on…

206. rollerino1 says: Apr 30, 2013 6:01 PM

Change it to the Natives; Redtails sounds ridiculous.

207. dlr4skins says: Apr 30, 2013 6:12 PM

I have a better idea. How about
    WASHINGTON NFC EAST DIVISION CHAMPS?

You already should be use to it!

208. defscottyb says: Apr 30, 2013 6:14 PM

Dan Snyder is a life-long Redskins fan (even before he bought the team). He is very proud of the team name and it’s rich heritage. As long as he owns the team there is absolutely no way he will ever change the name (and he shouldn’t). Do you really think he will ever cave in to these PC Wackos? No, not a chance. All these idiots who keep speaking out against the name are wasting their time. Find another issue to raise your political profile, this one is a pipe dream. Btw, I am part Cherokee and don’t have a problem with the Glorious name Redskins, the proud warrior on the helmet and the teams rich heritage. Put that in your peace-pipe and smoke it…

209. tatum064 says: Apr 30, 2013 6:16 PM

seattlecoug says:
    Apr 30, 2013 3:25 PM

==========

Uh, why dont you get your first Super Bowl ring before you run your mouth about playoff wins, mkayy?

Cmon, now.

210. prmpft says: Apr 30, 2013 6:20 PM

Politician – red-tail…you do the math

211. trapshoot says: Apr 30, 2013 6:21 PM

The Washington Deficits is a most fitting name. The logo could be a hole of any kind.

212. Robert says: Apr 30, 2013 6:24 PM

Washington Tribe 2015!

213. thethunderofgunns says: Apr 30, 2013 6:27 PM

Someone named redtail is completely offended by this.

Only in America do we have such a multitude of easily offended pansies.

214. indychiefsfan says: Apr 30, 2013 6:27 PM

The Chiefs are not a reference to Native Americans. They are named after the former mayor of KC who lobbied Lamar Hunt to move the team from Dallas. Chief was his nickname…..just saying.

215. micknangold says: Apr 30, 2013 6:28 PM

Corny.

216. raoool says: Apr 30, 2013 6:34 PM

It’s been a long time that we’ve let these alleged representatives ignore real problems and bicker about st00pid stuff. I think its time we take a stand and change it.

217. dartwick says: Apr 30, 2013 6:48 PM

Cant they find a name with no racial aspect?

218. joeyashwi says: Apr 30, 2013 6:54 PM

Keep the name, change the logo to an apple. Problem solved.

219. defscottyb says: Apr 30, 2013 7:00 PM

I have tried to stay away from posting about these idiotic PC issues but it just pisses me off. We all should try and ignore all this PC garbage as giving attention to it only fuels the fire. It’s all just a way for politicans and activists to make a name for themselves and money too. I have no problem with gay people and have some gay relitaves and friends that I am cool with and respect but… Is it just me or did that nba player coming out have to be the #1 top story all day and night yesterday??? Who freakin cares? Just play the game, why does it always have to be about the gays or some wacko PC issue? This country is becoming so overly PC and sensitve. All this white guilt is sickening. It’s never indians who complain, it’s usually politicans and why do they care? Because it raises their political profile and career and can also make them money. Indians don’t even care about the Redskins name, they care about real issues that affect their lives on reservations like clean water, medical issues, rampant alcoholism, corruption… How is changing the Redskins name really going to improve Natives lives? It won’t and frankly, it may even backfire because fans will develop anger towards natives so just leave it alone. It’s all making me want to boycott all sports if it continues.

220. spytdi says: Apr 30, 2013 7:01 PM

If we keep bowing to BS special interests our country will go to the same place, by the wayside.

221. tpa43 says: Apr 30, 2013 7:06 PM

Rednecks!

222. skiiins4life21 says: Apr 30, 2013 7:08 PM

Maybe that Councilman should move to and Indian reservation.

223. shrshot says: Apr 30, 2013 7:09 PM

The Washington Jackass Idiot Stupid Beyond Belief Cant Fix Crap Politicians. What? That’s already taken? Hmmm guess we’re sticking with REDSKINS. DC Council may now resume smoking crack, errr I mean business as usual, right Marion?

224. ronnielottspinky says: Apr 30, 2013 7:20 PM

I’m 5’9, can we change the Giants to Average

225. djohnson757 says: Apr 30, 2013 7:36 PM

Councilman what’s your name….focus on issues like corruption and a horrible school system

226. musicman495 says: Apr 30, 2013 7:46 PM

seattlecoug says: Apr 30, 2013 3:25 PM

——————————–
    Uh, the tally continues to be:

Redskins in Super Bowls: 3 for 5

Seahawks in Super Bowls: 0 for 1

Wake us when that changes.

227. musicman495 says: Apr 30, 2013 7:54 PM

indychiefsfan says: Apr 30, 2013 6:27 PM

—————————-
    Right, and I suppose everyone today is also supposed to attribute the arrowhead logo and mascot guy in headdress and war paint, on horseback with a spear to Harold Roe Bartle?

228. musicman495 says: Apr 30, 2013 8:08 PM

Perhaps the good councilman should be reminded that the team has nothing to do with DC anymore – they train in VA and play in MD – so the DC Council has no jurisdiction in this matter whatsoever.

229. boyshole25 says: Apr 30, 2013 8:24 PM

Haha liberals

230. defscottyb says: Apr 30, 2013 8:25 PM

I’m watching the Cleveland Indians vs Phillies right now and the Indians have a goofy big toothed red faced indian cartoon on their hats. Now that is racist. The Redskins have a proud warrior on theirs. I’m part Cherokee and darn proud of the Skins representing my heritage correctly and proudly and not with some goofy racist cartoon reminesent of the old looney tunes cartoons from the 40’s.

231. pointwithinthecircle says: Apr 30, 2013 8:32 PM

I think Heath Shuler is the politician that is leading this movement using the pseudonym David Grosso.
    HTTR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

232. seaeagle707 says: Apr 30, 2013 8:41 PM

My last thought on the subject (for today). I have always admired the Redskins’ logo, as it is one of the better designs in sports today. It is detailed, well executed, and the helmet colors compliment it nicely. Quite frankly, I think it elevates the Native Americans in the eyes of those who see it. It certainly does more for them, than that goofy helmet wearing porpoise, did for the Fins.

233. defscottyb says: Apr 30, 2013 9:19 PM

seaeagle707 says:
    Apr 30, 2013 8:41 PM
    _________________________________
    Well said! What other sports team shines such a proud light on the Native American people? As a part Native man I am extremely proud my team The Washington Redskins. Best fanbase in professional sports.

234. kingpel says: Apr 30, 2013 9:54 PM

How about the Natives?

235. juliusanonymous says: Apr 30, 2013 10:37 PM

There’s always some drunk white guy claiming to be part indian, and you find out his grandma was 1/64th “Apache” or “Iriquois” or some other nonsense.

If the term “Redskin” is such a badge of pride to Natives, why don’t y’all come on out to Browning, Montana, the largest remaining reservation in the USA and home to thousands of pure-blooded Blackfoot Indians.

Then, walk into a bar and tell the bartender, “Hey barkeep, I’d like to buy a round for all these Redskins.”

After you’re done getting your teeth kicked out (and if you survive the incident) come on back here and tell me how the “indians” see that term as a badge of pride. Yeah, sure they do.

236. orivar says: Apr 30, 2013 11:40 PM

I’m all for the name change because honestly, lets be serious, if it was something that could be taken against certain Caucasian groups there would be an out rage. The only real reason nobody cares about Redskins is because we’ve made natives irrelevant, like every country.

That being said, Redtails is just a STUPID name.

237. macwomack says: Apr 30, 2013 11:53 PM

How insulting is the term ‘Native Americans’ – it implies that a whole race of people didn’t know they were “Americans” until they were discovered by Italian explorers. Aren’t they the Native _________ where ________ refers to their own name for their own land/contry?

238. rick1k6 says: May 1, 2013 12:12 AM

How about the Washington Mascots? Pretty wide open interpretation there. Or the Washington Casino-Owner Americans? “Taking Back America One Nickel at a Time”. Sure, my suggestions are stupid. I’m just trying to keep up with the rest of you.

239. cougar69rt03 says: May 1, 2013 12:57 AM

Why not call them the Washington Palefaces . I am sure the white race would be up in arms over that lol NOT . They would care less . All these bleeding heart, tree hugging liberals need to get on to something that really matters , like people dying of cancer , aids ect . I have Delaware blood in me and I find NO offense to the term .

To the guy who talked about slaughtering , does he forget what all the tribes did to each other when they went to war kill, stole land, kidnapped other Indians . This is so out of hand . There is more important things in life to worry about then changing the name of the team . Next the Gay people will want the Packers name changed . Using the N word is only against the PC people if you are white . The brothers use that term all the time . Do you hear whiteys being pissed off about being called cracker, spook , snow monkey NO . This is getting so old . The old saying was sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me . GROW UP people

240. rujusten says: May 1, 2013 1:33 AM

How about this – keep the name the Washington Redskins and tell the corrupt left in DC to **** off. This is a private business that can call their team/organization whatever they want. If you don’t like it, don’t consume the product. I don’t like the bull**** lies that the Washington Post prints, so guess what? I don’t buy that ****ing paper. Get over it, the name isn’t changing! If you’re offended, root for the Redskins’ rivals. I suggest that DC council members get back to investigating their dishonest, lying, cheating employees that embezzle money from their constituents and leave private business that is operating in Maryland alone.

241. the3taveren says: May 1, 2013 6:14 AM

As a distant relative of a person killed by a pirate i find it revolting that the NFL has three teams that glorify some type of piracy. Why should we celibate the Buc, Raiders, and Vikings when all they represent are groups that raped, robbed and murdered.

But you know what, I’m smart enough to know that that isn’t what the team name really represents, just like I’m smart enough to know that the name Redskins it’s now synonymous with the Washington football team and no longer has any negative connotations towards American Indians. Maybe if someone had opposed the name change back from Brave to Redskins almost 80 years ago they would have a point. But the simple fact is the name now means Washington football, not anything negative towards any group of people.

242. mute617 says: May 1, 2013 8:05 AM

The word Giants is offensive to many little people I know. Lets change the Giants name while we’re at it. For a nation so desensitized as far as sex & violence, people sure are extra sensitive to words & phrases. It’s ridiculous. Like having your cake & eating it too

243. patriots420 says: May 1, 2013 11:25 AM

Redtails is offensive to the Native American escort services. With all this turmoil we need a logical voice to prevail and give us some guidance.

Wonder why he does not comment on these racial issues, like the cornball brotha scandal?

244. blu4l1fe says: May 1, 2013 11:32 AM

The D.C. Pigtails? Just kidding. Being from NY, we have gone through the same craziness, i.e. St. John’s Johnies (Redmen).

In one side, with all the Political Correctness in the world, it may seem just to change the name of the skins to appease everyone who’s offended by their current name.

On the other hand, the skins have always been known as the Washington Redskins. The name encompasses, not just the name of the team, but the whole history, the colors of the uniform, and the tradition that has followed the franchise.

I know it may not be the same, and may just be a stretch but in my opinion, this goes along the same lines as the turnover to stadium names to whoever pays the highest. Seriously, they’ve taken away part of the teams personality when they renamed stadiums. I think has done that to teams who have changed their names to be more politically correct and it will certainly have that same affect on the Redskins, and I am not even a fan.

What’s next? The Kansas City Mockingbirds?

245. thrilla04 says: May 1, 2013 12:28 PM

The Washington Redskin Potatoes. Name stays the same, mascot changes to an Irish man carving potatoes, since apparently nobody cares or finds it offensive when a team is named after a stereotypical Irish person.

246. nagaswan says: May 1, 2013 12:33 PM

The sad thing is many of the people who want to keep the name are doing it because they are racist, and this gives them an excuse to express it in public. Then there are stupid people who defend those people because they aren’t racist but just like “tradition.” I guess they are the very popular “accidental racists.” Everyone knows they should change their name to the Bullets anyway.

247. spankygreen says: May 1, 2013 12:56 PM

jtchernak says:Apr 30, 2013 3:30 PM

Hey Haus, does that 1 Native American friend you have speak for all??

Just asking.

248. nelly837 says: May 1, 2013 2:23 PM

This is the same city that elected Marion Berry TWICE! Enough said.

249. wormofthesenses says: May 1, 2013 3:46 PM

That’s great and all, but the Redskins operate out of Virginia, not the District. So what the DC council has to say about the name of the team is totally irrelevant and pointless. This is called diversion politics. Nothing more to it.

250. totallydisgusted says: May 1, 2013 9:46 PM

the redskins were named in honor of a native american player that the owner held in high regards. leave the damn name alone, but change those damn uniforms. keep the indian head though.

251. skinsfan0226 says: May 1, 2013 11:24 PM

O.K. , just another politician trying to decide whats best for the people. This team has been named the Washington Redskins since 1937, I am of Indian decent and this name does not dishonor me or bother me , its inspires me. I live in Virginia and my grandfather was half indian and his mother was full blooded. Neither were offended by this name and were huge fans of the team, as am I.

It really bothers me, that because some people feel that they have to make a name for them selves or are not fans of the team or their owner or their politics that they feel that they can run over all other citizens with their brand of politics.

If you want to change something, change how you treated the native americans as you call them today versus changing a team name to make yourself feel better. Politicians and soldiers ran native americans in the ground all during history and now by renaming a beloved football team, this will make it all better. o.k.

I will never understand this try for glory for these politicians but I hope the NFL and the Washington Redskins fight this with everything they have and people that have good sense vote these politicians out of office for good. With all the problems in the world you politicians choose to battle a team over its near one hundred year old name. Unreal and unbelievable.
    Now its really time to fight for ol D.C. Talk about heritage, look at what kind of American Heritage and Family Heritage that will be at stake and destroyed if this historic and yes I say Historic name is allowed to be changed. Where is there any disrespect in the term Hail to the Redskins! Try again councilman, make your name in politics somewhere else and stay the out of the NFL and my football team!

252. skinsfan0226 says: May 1, 2013 11:40 PM

David Grosso is a bum and must have grown up a Dallas fan that was picked on in school. Maybe we can call them the “washington hair club for men” after you, you joke! Find something else to make your mark in politics. You know about as much about native american heritage as Christopher Columbus did when he walked off a boat and called the natives of an already inhabited land Indians because he thought he was in India instead of America. This is what your complaints are based off of. Nice , a man who didnt know where he was that discovered something that was already discovered and then run the natives in the ground. You celebrate him with a holiday. But we sing Hail to The Redskins at a football game and were racist, because we support a football team with an american indian on the helmet and warrior celebration for every score with a nickname of Redskins. Please find useful ways to spend your time on more useful things in politics and leave our team alone!

253. saints4life57 says: May 3, 2013 8:34 AM

BTW the Redtails is the worst name ever!

254. saints4life57 says: May 3, 2013 8:36 AM

Nope you can’t be called the Redtails either because that offends me! Pick a new one sorry! ; )

255. gregmorris78 says: May 4, 2013 9:28 PM

Can we just drop this already? Good grief!

256. gregmorris78 says: May 4, 2013 9:33 PM

The team “hails” from Boston

I thought the original redskins was named after the patriots dressed at the tea party…

This story and the councilman are babble…

257. b3nz0z says: May 5, 2013 12:43 PM

I don’t like the name redskins, but I absolutely don’t think elected officials should be wasting their time on this.

258. redbeardxxv says: May 5, 2013 9:07 PM

take the Indian off the helmet and replace it with a potato. Nobody can gripe about the Redskin Potatoes.