Justin Blackmon: I have no excuse

Jacksonville Jaguars v Tennessee Titans Getty Images

The NFL announced Tuesday that Jaguars wide receiver Justin Blackmon has been suspended for the first four games of the 2013 season for violating the NFL Policy and Program for Substances of Abuse and Blackmon has issued a statement in response to the league’s decision.

“I’ve made a mistake and I have no excuse. I am truly sorry and disappointed in myself for putting the Jaguars in this situation, and I look forward to putting this behind me and maturing and growing as a person. I will have a productive training camp and pre-season with my team, and during the suspension I will work hard to stay in top football shape and be ready to help the Jaguars when I return. I have chosen to be accountable for my poor decision, and I sincerely apologize to my teammates, coaches, the front office and Jaguars fans for the impact of my mistake on the team.”

General Manager David Caldwell also issued a statement that says the team is “disappointed” in Blackmon and “confident he understands the obligations ahead of him” while adding that the team will not allow this news to slow down the progress they’ve made over the last three months. Thanks to two DUIs before he signed with Jacksonville, there are significant protections written into Blackmon’s contract that wipe out his remaining guarantees in the event of a suspension. The Jags could, therefore, cut him without owing another dime.

Caldwell’s statement offered no indication that the team plans to do that, but we saw the Bucs rework their contract with cornerback Eric Wright under similar circumstances this offseason.

Permalink 52 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Jacksonville Jaguars, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
52 Responses to “Justin Blackmon: I have no excuse”
  1. thegreatgabbert says: Apr 30, 2013 4:59 PM

Now we know why McDonough and Clark got canned.

2. raiderapologist says: Apr 30, 2013 5:00 PM

No excuses? That’s rare.

3. alecanthony says: Apr 30, 2013 5:00 PM

Translation – Justin Blackmon: you would be violating the substance policy too if you had to play for the Jaguars”

4. captainwisdom8888 says: Apr 30, 2013 5:02 PM

Now imagine what Tyron Mathieu will do!

5. gswgoboom says: Apr 30, 2013 5:02 PM

It’s actually kind of refreshing to hear someone man up. I got more respect for him now.

6. emptyjay429 says: Apr 30, 2013 5:03 PM

Mayhaps he was out celebrating the 4/20 holiday?

7. ctattles says: Apr 30, 2013 5:03 PM

8. whysomanylosers says: Apr 30, 2013 5:03 PM

Honey Badger wont care when he stumbles down the same path…

9. prideof10000lakes says: Apr 30, 2013 5:04 PM

the biggest loser in this whole situation is Blaine Gabbert…..tebow?

10. buccfaninhawkeyecountry says: Apr 30, 2013 5:05 PM

Can you rework a rookie contract tho? I know Russel Wilson couldn’t rework his for the “good”. Can they rework it negatively?

11. rhamrhoddy says: Apr 30, 2013 5:05 PM

What he should do is not return until 5 weeks have passed instead of 4. Pretend he lost track.

Then he could say “Aw man, See? Told you it was the adderall!”

12. theskolbandit says: Apr 30, 2013 5:05 PM

Good answer I respect that

13. onebucplace says: Apr 30, 2013 5:06 PM

You do have an excuse, you have to spend half the year in Jacksonville, that’s enough of a reason for most people to turn to a life of illegal substances.

By the way, to continue our conversation from yesterday – he’s the populations of top 3 cities in Florida. Jacksonville is the biggest and most populated, the folks there might want to know this as they apply to join Georgia.

1 Jacksonville 821,784
    2 Miami 399,457
    3 Tampa 335,709

14. hookem6903 says: Apr 30, 2013 5:06 PM

It’s refreshing to hear someone take accountability for their actions and say they have no excuses. Definitely doesn’t happen enough.

15. kylexitron says: Apr 30, 2013 5:07 PM

“FF steal this year. Will go VERY late in drafts. Bet he gets 8 TDs over those final 12 games.”

Which QB is Jax going to trade for that is going to throw 8 TD passes this year?

16. clevelandclowns says: Apr 30, 2013 5:07 PM

I am so glad Cleveland didn’t get him.

17. garyhd01 says: Apr 30, 2013 5:09 PM

rams wanted Blackmon got brockers pead and Watkins instead now we get Austin and bailey wow did we get lucky

18. bdawks20 says: Apr 30, 2013 5:09 PM

I’m not condoning what he did, but at least he didn’t lie or didn’t make up something like “I didn’t know what I was taking” or my personal favorite “I was hacked”

19. bouwel92 says: Apr 30, 2013 5:09 PM

Least he had the balls to own up to his mistakes.

20. jtbaudendistel says: Apr 30, 2013 5:10 PM

Yes you do. You’re a Jaguar

21. tigershark49 says: Apr 30, 2013 5:10 PM

This guy is proving why i would be a bad GM. I wanted him, but he is blowing it!

22. nfl4days says: Apr 30, 2013 5:11 PM

No doubt for weed. Like the boxer who got fined 910k for smoking weed, while the guy on roids got. A 10k fine. Show you where priorities are.

23. thestillcity says: Apr 30, 2013 5:11 PM

In what way are you being accountable if you won’t even admit what you did?

24. CKL says: Apr 30, 2013 5:12 PM

People who violate the substance abuse policy should never be allowed to use the word “mistake”.

25. prideof10000lakes says: Apr 30, 2013 5:14 PM

can’t be smokin weed downtown…

26. pittsburghsteelerz says: Apr 30, 2013 5:19 PM

“No excuses? That’s rare.”

No explanation either. Typical PR fluff. You, good sir, have drank the kool-aid.

27. johngaltwho says: Apr 30, 2013 5:20 PM

“I’ve made a mistake and I have no excuse. I am truly sorry and disappointed in myself for putting the (insert team name here) in this situation, and I look forward to putting this behind me and maturing and growing as a person. I will have a productive training camp and pre-season with my team, and during the suspension I will work hard to stay in top football shape and be ready to help the (insert team name here) when I return. I have chosen to be accountable for my poor decision, and I sincerely apologize to my teammates, coaches, the front office and (insert team name here) fans for the impact of my mistake on the team.”

Agents have a file of prepared statements

28. squared80 says: Apr 30, 2013 5:20 PM

He’s just sorry he got caught. Millions of dollars and the hope of the franchise and you still can’t keep things in line? Pathetic.

29. pittsburghsteelerz says: Apr 30, 2013 5:21 PM

“1 Jacksonville 821,784
    2 Miami 399,457″

Yes the population of Miami is 400,000.

However, the population of the Miami metro area is 5 MILLION. There’s not 4 MILLION people hiding in the jacksonville metro area.

30. gbmickey says: Apr 30, 2013 5:27 PM

Sounds like many here are congratulating him for owning up to his mistake or is it mistakes? Correct me if I am wrong but to get suspended for 4 games he had to have failed to previous tests all in the short time he has been in the league. Kind of sad with how fortunate they are and what they are given they cant sacrifice at all and give up the past.

31. schmitty2 says: Apr 30, 2013 5:29 PM

Gabbert has that affect on wr’s

32. vikingsvoice says: Apr 30, 2013 5:31 PM

“Owning up to his mistakes”, means he would have come out and apologized after the incident occurred, not after the subsequent suspension goes public.

33. damrvrhunter says: Apr 30, 2013 5:34 PM

His statement where he takes full responsibility was so refreshingly shocking coming from a wide receiver no less but the last couple of paragraphs quickly explained his “pretension” at humility. Oh well nearly fooled me.

34. z561 says: Apr 30, 2013 5:38 PM

Justin JOHNNY WALKER BLACKmon sure likes to party…

35. mrpresident2 says: Apr 30, 2013 5:38 PM

At least he has the balls to admit he did something wrong rather than blame Adderall

36. ctattles says: Apr 30, 2013 5:42 PM

Sam Agrabo

37. hehateme2 says: Apr 30, 2013 5:44 PM

1 Jacksonville 821,784
    2 Miami 399,457
    3 Tampa 335,709

You missed the point. Miami is a major market. Jacksonville…. not so much.

38. cobibones13 says: Apr 30, 2013 5:51 PM

Gene Smith still winning

39. getyourownname says: Apr 30, 2013 5:54 PM

Anyone still think the Cardinals should not decline to guarantee contract payments to Mathieu?

40. siggtacular says: Apr 30, 2013 5:56 PM

Wow. Making millions and messing up. Well that’s what you get with a second rate organization like the Jaguars. Maybe Mr. Khan should take some pointers from Steve Bisciotti

41. justintuckrule says: Apr 30, 2013 6:05 PM

Just contract that team already, please.

42. nonetruerthanblue says: Apr 30, 2013 6:46 PM

This fool said the same thing last year after his DUI’s. Dumb ass will never learn.

Just say NO

43. raiderapologist says: Apr 30, 2013 6:54 PM

pittsburghsteelerz says: Apr 30, 2013 5:19 PM

“No excuses? That’s rare.”

————
    Not at all. He hasn’t been in the league long enough to get suspended for weed, so it was obviously a PED violation. I’m just saying he didn’t try to claim ignorance or a tainted sample, or some of the other excuses we tend to hear when players get caught.

44. therealpittbull says: Apr 30, 2013 7:09 PM

Prime example of why YOU should be a role model to your children, not athletes. Before he was drafted, he was depicted as the role model for a kid back in Oklahoma. DUI’s and other substances? Yep, that’s what I want my kid to emulate. NOT. Go to class, get a great education, be who GOD created you to be and do al he placed in you to accomplish.

45. bookofelisha says: Apr 30, 2013 7:25 PM

i respect him even more now as a person for messing up like humans do but instead he owned up to it! respect

46. greyhawk9 says: Apr 30, 2013 7:26 PM

Yes indeed

47. greyhawk9 says: Apr 30, 2013 7:28 PM

He was to high and drunk to think of a viable excuse

48. morganstan100 says: Apr 30, 2013 7:41 PM

He accepted responsibility for his actions. There goes any possibility of ever becoming a Steeler.

49. theuglitruth says: Apr 30, 2013 7:45 PM

Wasn’t everyone vilifying the Cardinals yesterday.

50. pacodawg says: Apr 30, 2013 7:51 PM

Right from the heart. Lol

51. purpleguy says: Apr 30, 2013 9:45 PM

If anyone thinks he thought up or made that statement, they’re on the same stuff that got him the suspension.

52. thejuddstir says: Apr 30, 2013 10:01 PM

We hear how these clowns talk when interviewed but then are expected to believe that they could put together a grammatically correct statement. It was offered as a written statement of remorse because Blackmon couldn’t even pronounce the words in the statement much less write it. I believe it is verbatim of the statements his agent put out with his previous 2 DWI’s. I agree with another poster who said he doubts Blackmon is into the weed……my money says cocaine.