49ers rookie Quinton Patton shows up too early for work, sent home

Quinton Patton, Isaiah Frey Getty Images

Yes, you read that correctly.

49ers rookie wide receiver Quinton Patton, eager to begin work with his new team, flew from Nashville to San Francisco at his own expense Monday to work out with the club. However, the 49ers sent home the fourth-round pick from Louisiana Tech before he arrived at the club’s facilities.

According to 49ers head coach Jim Harbaugh, who told the story on KNBR-AM in San Francisco on Wednesday, Patton would not have been able to take part in the club’s rookie minicamp from May 10 through May 12 if he arrived this week. According to Harbaugh, NFL rookies can be present at a club’s facilities right after they are drafted, but Patton was arriving after that period of time. (For those interested in hearing the story,  Harbaugh’s remarks begin at about the eight-minute mark at the above link. Also, a hat tip to the 49ers for mentioning Patton’s interesting journey on Twitter.)

In the interview, Harbaugh joked that Patton’s trip was “probably the best money that he’s ever spent,” given how the story would now be associated with his desire to play the game and would be told time and again if he has a long career.

That said, Harbaugh’s respect for the rookie was clear.

“The fact that he would buy his own ticket, fly out here, just to me speaks volumes about him,” Harbaugh said. “I mean, to be honest with you, he reminds me of me. That’s something I would have done.”

And Harbaugh’s enthusiasm about Patton’s enthusiasm was clear, too.

“Isn’t that awesome?” Harbaugh said.

Permalink 52 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, San Francisco 49ers
52 Responses to “49ers rookie Quinton Patton shows up too early for work, sent home”
  1. whatchutalkinabouthillis says: May 1, 2013 10:54 PM

I like your moxie kid! He’s jumped AJ Jenkins on the depth chart and all he had to do was take a plane trip.

2. harrisbarton says: May 1, 2013 10:55 PM

Contrast Patton’s early arrival to that of Michael Crabtree his rookie year. Held out, showed up late, didn’t really show up until his third year in the league. Somehow I think that Patton will have an impact earlier in his career.

3. willsco16 says: May 1, 2013 10:59 PM

Funny story, I can’t wait for this guy to be a contributor in the future. Maybe we let Crabs walk (because who knows how much money he will want in 2 years) and hopefully Patton won’t be a huge drop-off. This does speak volumes about his character and the 49er Faithful will not forget it.

4. Stiller43 says: May 1, 2013 11:01 PM

That few hundred bucks (especially when youre about to get a check for at least a hundred thousand) was good money spent. Puts him in favor with the staff and the fans…even if it was him being stupid.

5. 619sdfan4life says: May 1, 2013 11:01 PM

Hey Justin Blackmon, take notes from this rookie

6. UPYRS says: May 1, 2013 11:03 PM

Better learn the rules rookie

7. olyniner says: May 1, 2013 11:07 PM

Insert Seahawk comment here.

8. bennyb82 says: May 1, 2013 11:08 PM

Jim Harbaugh just totally smeared this guy publicly…saying Patton reminded him of himself…

9. modhairken says: May 1, 2013 11:12 PM

Or it shows that he is completely ignorant for not checking beforehand. I wonder if he checks his fly before leaving the bathroom.

10. Rick Spielman is a Magician says: May 1, 2013 11:13 PM

This sounds like one of the dumbest rules in a league full of really dumb rules.

11. mikebyrne1502 says: May 1, 2013 11:14 PM

Got to love it baby, like Kevin Hart says “everybody wanna be rich no one wanna put in work”
    This kid is ready to put in work and I’m sure it’s about to make him RICH

12. Mr. Wright 212 says: May 1, 2013 11:19 PM

I love it. Better than Geno Smith, who thinks it’s his birthright to not only be drafted #1 overall, but have the world at his feet.

13. whitdog23 says: May 1, 2013 11:24 PM

he’s not able to participate in mini camp because his school hasn’t had graduation yet. happens EVERY year. not that hard to remember or put in the story

14. bus035 says: May 1, 2013 11:29 PM

As a Seahawks fan, I was really hoping we drafted this kid. Of course, our most hated rival picks him up instead. However, I have little doubt Patton will be a solid player and I believe Baalke and company got good value in the 4th round.

15. jml4343 says: May 1, 2013 11:30 PM

This is how you draft. Find guys who want to work hard and are not preoccupied with signing bonuses.
    He’ll get his once he proves himself.
    Just like the rest of the world….

16. cali49er707 says: May 1, 2013 11:32 PM

Thats what im talking about!! It does not matter if your a 9er fan or not. When it comes to a rookie making a decision like this, you can only appreciate.

Sounds like Kap deciding to drive down to team headquarters from Turlock hours after being drafted!!!

Some people say they love the game others show it!! I love this kid already!!!!

17. seenable says: May 1, 2013 11:36 PM

This should help to quell some of the character concerns that in part caused his ‘fall’ to the forth round.

18. xxhovaxx says: May 1, 2013 11:37 PM

Niner fan here I loved this pick! And to hear this lets me he’s someone who really loves the game! And is eager to learn!

19. darryllmcgee says: May 1, 2013 11:38 PM

This is “Complete Dedication!” This young man deserves the respect of the entire NFL Universe. Not many people would do what he has done. As time goes by, it’s going to be interesting to witness how his career progresses.

20. datdangdrewdundunituhgin says: May 1, 2013 11:43 PM

man i dislike the 49ers, but this is a pretty good story. good luck to him, he sounds like a great kid with a future.

21. skolvikes82 says: May 1, 2013 11:46 PM

I wish every professional athlete had that kind of unselfish desire just like the Adrian Peterson’s, Peyton Manning’s, and Tom Brady’s of the world and I suppose even Aaron Rodgers even though I’m a Viking’s fan and he plays for the Packers. I know there are many others out there, but we hear to often about the bad players( at least the stuff they do off the field) than we do the good things players do off the field.

22. thestrategyexpert says: May 1, 2013 11:55 PM

Yeah real awesome that your admin department can’t communicate an itinerary for your newly drafted multi-million dollar liability.

23. jetsnlakers says: May 1, 2013 11:58 PM

No Jim. He reminds you of me.

24. canjura says: May 2, 2013 12:03 AM

Not gonna lie, as a St. Louis Rams fan in the SF Bay Area, I’m actually liking this kid.

25. revischrist16 says: May 2, 2013 12:04 AM

Respect

Shocked he lasted to the end of the 4th round

26. sjsuraider says: May 2, 2013 12:12 AM

“Reminds me of me” egotistical much?

27. shadowcell says: May 2, 2013 12:18 AM

that *is* kind of awesome, actually

28. comebackid says: May 2, 2013 12:23 AM

That’s something a great father, pastor, or coach taught this kid that’s a great story. Just became a fan of this kids’.
    Geno take note this is how to act.

29. lilphil240 says: May 2, 2013 12:25 AM

The guy paid for his own plane ticket?! He must be a great guy!

30. norcalsportsknowledge says: May 2, 2013 12:26 AM

Always a good sign to show up to work early.

31. samquix says: May 2, 2013 12:36 AM

I would have stayed. 9 days in Frisco this time of year? Not too many places nicer

32. Phintastic says: May 2, 2013 12:45 AM

Not a miners fan, but that’s just awesome…

33. bigboysmash says: May 2, 2013 1:03 AM

This guy is a steal for a 4th round pick.plus there are worse things than showing up early to work like showing up late or not showing up at all…

34. eventhorizon04 says: May 2, 2013 1:07 AM

I guess one could say, Patton attacked that day with enthusiasm unknown to mankind…

Or rather, “enthusiasm that is heavily restricted by the rules in the current CBA.”

35. Max says: May 2, 2013 1:27 AM

Great pick, big time performer! Good value where they got him in the draft!

36. bobhk says: May 2, 2013 1:40 AM

Let’s see who’s attitude is better Quinton Patton’s or Geno Smith’s….Hmmm…

37. braceyourselffor12 says: May 2, 2013 1:46 AM

Actions speak louder than words, welcome to the Niners Quinton. You seem to have the right attitude.

GO NINERS!!!!!

38. rhoadsmike says: May 2, 2013 1:53 AM

I’m excited to see this kid play! Think we may have found a sleeper.

39. showmethemtds says: May 2, 2013 2:00 AM

Harbaugh said it all. That’s freaking awesome, especially in a league full of whining, complaining, diva wide receivers. Hopefully he’s successful and maintains that mentality.

40. lgwelsh1 says: May 2, 2013 2:51 AM

What a story LOL. Now here is a kid who wants to play football!

41. discosucs2005 says: May 2, 2013 3:16 AM

He just earned himself a tie breaker. If final cuts roll around and he’s tied with some other rookie for the last roster spot, this is gonna be the tie breaker.

42. douglasdfresh says: May 2, 2013 3:49 AM

Fantastic first impression, Rook.

43. ninersreciognizebch says: May 2, 2013 4:18 AM

I got a feeling this guy is going to be stud receiver the steal of the draft

44. calwilliams06 says: May 2, 2013 4:53 AM

I love Jim’s positive spin in making sure that what could be construed as an embarrassing event is instead thought/talked about as a positive, character revealing event.

That said, a quick call ahead woulda been wise.

45. borisbulldog says: May 2, 2013 5:19 AM

Umm, Jim? It’s really not awesome!

What it means is Patton can’t read or follow directions!

Kinda like jumping off sides every game because he’s stoked to be a niner!

46. supremekingz says: May 2, 2013 7:02 AM

I’m liking him better than AJ Jenkins already!

47. sfniners4life says: May 2, 2013 7:06 AM

AJ Jenkins better watch out.

48. spideysdog says: May 2, 2013 7:57 AM

as a Hawks fan I hate anything related to the FortyWhiners. As a football fan, I love the story. Sad indictment on sports fans when this thread has almost no action, yet the next team to publicly reject Tebow will have hundreds of comments.

on a related note…. where was this kids agent to tell him NFL policy and save him the 500 dollar ticket?

Kind of funny, Revis can hold out time and again for extra millions when he HAS a contract with very little repercussions, but this youngster is not allowed to show up and do some work. SMH

49. godofwine330 says: May 2, 2013 8:28 AM

As for first impressions I think he me one helluva impression on the coaching staff in SF. Great for him. He is on my watch list. As Harbaugh said, that is pretty awesome.

50. laxcoach37 says: May 2, 2013 8:48 AM

Sounds admirable, but shouldn’t he be in the final weeks of classes or taking exams like all College students. At the very least it is a violation of the NFL rules until he is done. Some players especially from out West can’t come to Minicamp because of this rule.

51. nananatman says: May 2, 2013 10:19 AM

I got written up for saying awesome at work, they called me overly enthusiastic.

52. albinorhino49 says: May 2, 2013 11:28 AM

Should of just stopped over to uncle Jerry’s house. AJ isn’t doomed yet but Patton is hungry and talented. Jerry reached out to the wrong kid. I bet when Jerry hears of this he will invite him back out to train and run the hill. I hope Jim sent Quinton back home with a playbook or something that he can mentally work on. This kid is going after “IT”.