Brandon Meriweather expects to be ready for camp

Brandon Meriweather AP

It looks like there’s going to be a competition for starting safety spots with the Redskins this summer and Brandon Meriweather says that he thinks his torn ACL will have recovered enough for him to be a full participant in it when camp gets underway.

Meriweather suffered through a lost season in 2011, hurting his knee in the preseason and then reinjuring it when he tried to make a return in Week Four. He finally made it back to the field in Week 11, but didn’t even make it through the first half before the torn ligament that ended his season. Meriweather, who took a pay cut to stay with the team earlier in the offseason, told Mike Jones of the Washington Post that he’ll work on the side during OTAs because he is focusing all of his efforts on being ready for training camp.

“I’m trying to look at the big picture, and the big picture is [training camp],” Meriweather said. “I try to keep my expectations to day-by-day. That’s all I’m concerned with. The steps I take day-by-day. … Of course, I want to be back out there. I’ve got a bad taste in my mouth because I wasn’t able to help my team.”

The Redskins drafted Phillip Thomas and Baccari Rambo last week to go with Reed Doughty and DeJon Gomes at safety with Tanard Jackson possibly getting reinstated from suspension down the road. Ideally, Meriweather would nail down the strong safety spot with the others vying for snaps next to him. It sounds like he’ll be healthy enough to give it his best shot, although his 2012 experience is a reminder not to count any unhatched chickens.

Permalink 16 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Washington Redskins
16 Responses to “Brandon Meriweather expects to be ready for camp”
  1. skns2thend says: May 1, 2013 8:59 AM

If Brandon stays healthy, he’ll keep strong s on lockdown. Thomas and Rambo will be able to adjust to almost any secondary position….I’ve high hopes for them both. I don’t see doughty and Gomes staying for the 14 season of these two rookies stay safe and sober thus season. I’m ready for the #1 defense and the #1 offense in the same year…guess I could be reaching a little bit on that desire. Though it’s possible, right, Redskins Nation? We’ve a bright future.
    HTTR

2. blackqbwhiterb says: May 1, 2013 9:00 AM

Nothing like competition for his paycheck to motivate a guy to rehab as hard as possible…. That kinda thing is happening at more than one spot on the Redskin roster!

3. nfcbeastly says: May 1, 2013 9:18 AM

This just brings to light how much Sean Taylor meant to that Franchise…..RIP

4. uangerme says: May 1, 2013 9:22 AM

Glad to see the Redskins making a strong run at improving that terrible secondary. They may not be able to spend much money on big name guys due to the cap but hopefully some of these guys will step up and shine this season.

5. twilson962 says: May 1, 2013 9:22 AM

Let’s hope so. The D looked a lot better when he was on the field last year…albeit for more or less 1/2 a game.

6. kerryc21realty says: May 1, 2013 9:34 AM

He had a great half game last year against the eagles before getting injured. The skins will be a force in the NFC again this year

7. the3taveren says: May 1, 2013 9:57 AM

I hope he is healthy, but I wouldn’t count on it. He had a bad knee in training camp, warmed up for a game and was lost for another seven games and then almost made it through one half.

You who I can count on? Reed Daughty. Sure he had physical limitations, but he is always where he is supposed to be and is always healthy enough to play. Plus he is a ST standout.

I’m sure the Thomas and Rambo make the team, but after that it will be Gomes, Daughty, Merriweather, and Jackson competing for the other two (or three) spots. I bet Daughty takes one of them, leaving one spot for the other three.

8. skns2thend says: May 1, 2013 9:57 AM

Sean Taylor….was so awesome….was so devastating. Just seems that the SKINS injuries year after year are always plentiful and to the heart of the team. I know all teams have injuries, and maybe it seems the same to every true fan of that team….but damn it man, it’s always our best that it happens to. And at the most important positions that we’ve not prepared in depth for. Just keeping the faith thru all the hardships that everything is finally aligned for the success that this 81 year old franchise deserves.
    Remembering Sean Taylor….
    HTTR

9. bigkountry24 says: May 1, 2013 9:59 AM

Man PLEASE get healthy before you even think of getting back on the field! Thats all we ask. You ans RG3 take your time and comback at 100%. HTTR!

10. rhamrhoddy says: May 1, 2013 10:08 AM

In New England he’s known as The Big Bang Clock from his post-London trip press conference.

Google: Big Bang Clock

For the youtube interview and then the youtube local sports “Rock Around the Clock” remix

11. denverwally says: May 1, 2013 10:35 AM

When this guy was completely healthy he sucked big time. A first round pick who lost his job in New England to a street fee agent. Besides being a horrible DB who has never learned to take correct angles, he is a huge head hunter. The best thing for the Skins would be to cut him loose and go with the young guys.

12. firesnyder says: May 1, 2013 11:20 AM

I don’t have much confidence in Meriweather. One of the three noobs: Amerson, Thomas, or Rambo needs to emerge as a starting caliber safety. I think it’ll happen. We drafted guys who honestly had 2nd and 3rd round talent, but are coming off injuries which bumped their draft stock. Another wise move by Shanny and Allen. Its funny, most media outlets give the Redskins a “C-” for the draft, but I think it was lights out!

13. redskinfansince82 says: May 1, 2013 1:29 PM

Skins are laying the foundation on how to build a championship contender on a shoe string budget, No thanks to those snitches in NY. I still got my 21# Taylor framed in the man Cave.

14. hogforlife says: May 1, 2013 3:36 PM

The Redskins have improved their secondary enough this offseason that even if Merryweather can’t make it back we should be ok.I really hope he does get back. He is a strong run stuffer.This year or next should be the year the Skins take a step forward and get deep into the playoffs. HTTR!

15. boyshole25 says: May 1, 2013 9:22 PM

Skins have another two years before they really start making noise and then rg3 will demand 20 mil per year so were ok httr

16. lakermetskins says: May 1, 2013 11:16 PM

No harm to Meriweather; but why is no one hating, hoping, praying, that this guy’s knee gets amputated, like haters want RG3 knee’s.?

I still haven’t figured out why folks hate RG3 so much.

Of course I’d love to see a healthy Meriweather and RG3 return.