Jared Allen feels healthy, isn’t thinking about possible free agency

Jared Allen, Ron Marinucci Getty Images

Vikings defensive end Jared Allen had a pair of surgeries on the same day earlier this offseason, but he’s feeling almost all of the way back to full strength.

Allen spoke to Alex Marvez and Solomon Wilcots on Sirius XM NFL Radio Wednesday night and said that he was excited about being able to train the way that he wants to train after being limited by a shoulder injury last offseason. One of the surgeries he had was to repair a torn labrum in that shoulder and Allen, who also had a knee cleaned out, says he’s got about 95 percent of the motion back already.

Allen had less to say about the possibility that he’ll become a free agent after this season, sticking with the well-worn approach of only worrying about football when asked about 2013 being the final year of his contract.

“I’m a Viking this year, I’m gonna go out play my heart out and try to win a Super Bowl,” Allen said. “I always look at chips fall where they may. My motto is if I take care of my job on the field the rest will take care of itself.”

Allen just turned 31, but he didn’t show too many signs of slowing down in 2012 as he posted double-digit sacks for the seventh time in the last eight years while playing in every Vikings game for the fifth straight year. Assuming there’s no sudden drop in production or serious injury, it’s hard to imagine that the Vikings won’t want to stay in the Allen business a little bit longer.

Permalink 37 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill
37 Responses to “Jared Allen feels healthy, isn’t thinking about possible free agency”
  1. logicalvoicesays says: May 2, 2013 9:58 AM

He should ask Adrian Cheaterson which syringe will help him feel better. #Cheaters

2. Carl Gerbschmidt says: May 2, 2013 10:00 AM

Vikes are cute when they talk bout winning a Super Bowl in May. So full of hope and excitement.

3. larryboodry says: May 2, 2013 10:07 AM

Barring serious injury Lance Louis would have played a full season last year.

4. rbirving says: May 2, 2013 10:30 AM

Any player who isn’t looking towards a championship at this point is setting the bar too low.

Allen has played through injuries in multiple seasons. He’s a fierce warrior. I hope he retires a Viking.

5. Rick Spielman is a Magician says: May 2, 2013 10:31 AM

I’m sure the Vikings will sign him to an extension this summer, not only to keep him around another few years but to reduce his cap number for this year.

6. wdnemesis says: May 2, 2013 10:35 AM

Nice hoping he plays longer than a year for us. Our front 4 is going to be beefy this year.

7. Logicalvoice says: May 2, 2013 10:36 AM

Hopefully he will feel healthy enough to knock Rodgers on his butt a dozen times and chase down the limping rg3 and knock him sillier than the stupid redskins fans who post on Vikings articles.

8. orakpocalypse says: May 2, 2013 10:39 AM

Probably my favorite non-Redskins player right now. I feel bad for him having to play in Minnesota and never win anything ever. Come to DC!

9. immafubared says: May 2, 2013 10:50 AM

Was never a big Vike fan until I saw the owners – not to be confused with the owner of the Lions who for 45 years didn’t spend a dime on talent, go out and get this guy and Winfield in an attempt to improve the team.
    Allen is a funny guy. Great attitude that carries over to the rest of the team.
    The Vikes will be a force this year. I see them playing the 9er’s for the super bowl spot this year. Not the Lions, Packers or Bears or Seattle.

10. mnjoemama says: May 2, 2013 10:52 AM

AP ‘s MVP trophy he took from waaron wodgers is cute ! Skol vikes

11. jjthesportsguy says: May 2, 2013 10:53 AM

Nothing but respect for this guy. As a die hard Packer fan, that’s saying something. He goes about his job a way that I wished all athletes would. He’s fun to watch 14 games out of the season, I certainly wouldn’t mind if he were out of the division next year.

12. smittee22 says: May 2, 2013 10:57 AM

Rick Spielman is a Magician says:
    May 2, 2013 10:31 AM
    ————————————————–

I agree 100% with you on this. I am a little confused why they haven’t worked out an extension yet. He has a huge cap # so it would be nice to get him locked up for the next 3-4 years and get that reduced so we can sign the draft picks

13. Norseman says: May 2, 2013 11:06 AM

I’m surprised Allen hasn’t already restructured, and lengthened, his current contract with the Vikings. He’s like $18m on the salary cap this year.

Hope something is announced this off-season. Allen has at least a couple more good years left, maybe more. Now that he doesn’t have the injuries, and in a contract year, I expect he’ll have a great year and compete for the all-time sack record again this year.

14. taintedsaints2009 says: May 2, 2013 11:11 AM

i hope they bring him back for two more years after this year. good reliable defensive ends are hard to come by…but he has to make way for everson griffen. Griffen is a STUD

15. GenXJay says: May 2, 2013 11:12 AM

Carl, what’s cute is he’s a prized Def. player not taking up a 1/6 of cap space.
    & D.c. trolls, Jared wouldn’t risk his knee on that rocky terrain you call FedX Field for the rest of his awesome career. Hail to the Red Tails! HTTRT!

16. filthymcnasty1 says: May 2, 2013 11:40 AM

I think the rest of the NFC North is in real trouble as the Vikings rally around Ponder and his brave attempt to come back from his tragic arm bruise.

17. theytukrjobs says: May 2, 2013 11:59 AM

What is up with these boards? The other day I had a post erased by admins because I basically said Collins’ coming out wasn’t all that big of a deal since he’s on his way out as a player anyways and really isn’t risking much in terms of career.

But yet every single Vikings thread somehow is kicked off by some unemployed idiot logicalvoice ranting about Peterson doing roids or some other zany nonsense about the Redskins.

I mean seriously, can we ban trolls on this site?

18. lawrencemercado says: May 2, 2013 12:04 PM

logicalvoicesays says:
    May 2, 2013 9:58 AM

———-

I hope you get hit by a Redskins team transport truck. I really do. Maybe that’ll knock some sense back into your head.

19. whatjusthapped says: May 2, 2013 12:23 PM

I can’t believe he used the words, “Vikings” and “winning the Superbowl” in the same sentence.

As the great American author, Mr. Kinky Friedman would say, “He has a better chance of seeing Jesus Christ pull up in front of his house in a 1971 Ford Pinto”

20. dtrb10 says: May 2, 2013 12:40 PM

Jared Allen in a contract year. He will break the sack record this year 24 sacks for JA!!! None of the teams really bolstered their lines in the draft or FA. He is gonna have a field day in the North this year.

21. filthymcnasty1 says: May 2, 2013 12:58 PM

I applaud Jared Allen for gutting out his injuries through the playoff loss to the Packers.

Maybe Ponder could one day learn from his example.

22. badgerviking says: May 2, 2013 1:20 PM

filthy mcnasty1:

with a QB they gotta take care of their arm…and that is no means me defending ponder…i think he is an idiot…BUT a QB with a messed up arm is worthless…and we could have ended up stuck with the brainless joe webb for longer…ponder taking 1 game off=a blessing…

23. brewdogg says: May 2, 2013 1:40 PM

logicalvoicesays is right….Peterson did cheat. Or at least he has an unfair advantage over everyone else. You see, AD is so far beyond normal humans that he caught the eye of Odin, who has adopted him as a son. In Asgard, he is called Adrian Odinson, and here on earth he wields the powers of the Norse gods, although honor keeps him from unleashing his full power of his peers.

Perhaps the Redskins can beg their ancestors to imbue Griffin and Morris with the spirit of the bear or something like that…… Then they might stay close enough to choke on Peterson’s dust as he runs away with another MVP this year.

24. larryboodry says: May 2, 2013 1:54 PM

dtrb10 says:

“None of the teams really bolstered their lines in the draft or FA. He is gonna have a field day in the North this year.”

The Bears o-line last year:
    Webb, Spencer, Garza, Louis, Carimi

The Bears potential o-line upgrades this year:
    Bushrod, Slauson, Lonergan, Long, Mills

You were saying?

25. gbmickey says: May 2, 2013 2:12 PM

Genx 1/6th is exactly what Allen is taking up with his 18 mil. while Matthews who you insinuated does is only making about 11.5. Matter of fact Allens cap hit is about 75% of Matthews and Rodgers combined cap hit. Do a little research so you don’t emabarrass yourself.

26. bryco9 says: May 2, 2013 2:52 PM

He would be an idiot to rework his contract, collect $18 million this yr., have even an average J.A. season of 12-14 sacks and sign another 3-4 yr. contact worth 20-30 million and 8-12 upfront. Why give up that kind of money.

27. tokyosandblaster says: May 2, 2013 3:33 PM

For all the Vikings fans saying that the packers had too much invested in two players, don’t the Vikings have 44 million invested in three?

Peterson / Allen / Jennings?

That puts the packers combo of Rodgers and Matthews to shame, almost as much as Rodgers and Matthews shame the Vikings almost every time they play. That last regular season game was the fluke, ladies. Not the start of a trend.

Now we know why they can’t field a competitive team; too much money wrapped up in three players.

28. Rick Spielman is a Magician says: May 2, 2013 3:39 PM

larryboodry says:May 2, 2013 1:54 PM

The Bears potential o-line upgrades this year:
    Bushrod, Slauson, Lonergan, Long, Mills
    _____

Bushrod, Long, Slauson…heh heh heh heh heh.

29. purpwalk says: May 2, 2013 3:44 PM

JA will be better this year with a better D line and D back field all around. LBs might even be better, too

30. shaggytoodle says: May 2, 2013 3:57 PM

In my opinion I don’t think he would sign an extension. The guy still has some in the tank, but honestly he wants his best chance to win a championship.

If Ponder shows a lot improvement I think its easier to convince him to stay. If he regresses and the team regresses. Its a tough sale.

He may choose to play has last few years elsewhere.

31. larryboodry says: May 2, 2013 4:44 PM

@Rick Spielman is a Magician:

You can be a Heidi fan and still admit to following is true:

Bushrod>Webb
    Slauson>Spencer/Rachal
    Long>Louis
    Mills>Carimi

I like Garza, but the Bears need to get younger at center.

Laugh all you want now, ’cause when it is your turn this year to finish third in the division at 10-6, not even the Lions will sympathize with you.

32. Rick Spielman is a Magician says: May 2, 2013 5:05 PM

Larry, I was making an immature “Beavis and Butthead” kind of joke about the players’ names. I have no idea who any of those players are.

33. tokyosandblaster says: May 2, 2013 5:13 PM

The Vikings fans laughing at anything are the crazy ones.

No one with that history of ineptitude would find any humor in a sport in which God has forsaken them.

34. vikingsgohard says: May 2, 2013 10:39 PM

@tokyosandblaster if only there were some way for us to cheat our way to a Super Bowl win like the saints

35. truevikingfan says: May 3, 2013 4:19 PM

Do people get off from leaving dumb and ridiculous comments. It doesn’t matter who you are a fan of or not a fan of. I am a diehard Vikings fan but that doesn’t stop me from showing respect. The 1st moron”logicalvoice” should be dragged in the street and shot. What a joke. AP is a beast and deserves all the respect in the world. He’s a nice guy who donates time and money to youth programs and charity. He makes NFL players look like youth league kids and has class. Jared Allen is a great guy too. If you want to rip on a team or player then do it because of facts or trash talk with dignity. People like that should be banned from posting!

36. bleedtwincitiessports says: May 3, 2013 4:30 PM

hey nbc why don’t my comments ever make it on here? Nothing is inappropriate about my comments, but yet they never show up? What a joke…

37. johnnytarr says: May 4, 2013 4:19 PM

theytukrjobs says:
    May 2, 2013 11:59 AM

I mean seriously, can we ban trolls on this site?
    ===================================

bleedtwincitiessports says:
    May 3, 2013 4:30 PM

===================================

They do this all the time with no rhyme or reason.