Belichick to host part of Schiano’s staff next week

Greg Schiano, Bill Belichick AP

Bill Belichick and Greg Schiano are old pals.

But they’re taking that relationship to the next level, even beyond Belichick’s compulsion for drafting Schiano’s old Rutgers recruits.

According to Don Banks of SI.com, the two will bring parts of their coaching staffs together next week at the Patriots facility to discuss coaching topics.

The fact they play each other in Week 3 is apparently no deterrent, and the league has no problem with the arrangement.

The two met for joint practices before their preseason game last year, and they could be planning another such workout. But that wouldn’t require taking six assistants to New England.

A Patriots spokesman said the group meeting isn’t unprecedented, just that previous versions hadn’t been revealed.

That part’s not surprising, even if their little get-together is.

Permalink 26 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New England Patriots, Rumor Mill, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
26 Responses to “Belichick to host part of Schiano’s staff next week”
  1. milkmandanimal says: May 3, 2013 4:06 PM

As a Bucs fan, I’m all for anything that might result in Schiano absorbing some of Darth Hoodie’s evil magic.

2. onebucplace says: May 3, 2013 4:10 PM

I bet there is going to be a lot of man-on-man hugging, some arm wrestling maybe some nude showers — you know all that tough guy stuff.

3. listerineman says: May 3, 2013 4:15 PM

Greg, bring some coaches up to Boston. We cant get the Talib guy under control. Help me. Please help me.

4. larrydavid7000 says: May 3, 2013 4:17 PM

What the hell.!!!!!! This is like kissing your cousin.?????? Losers.

5. ialwayswantedtobeabanker says: May 3, 2013 4:28 PM

Man, all my fellow Steeler brothers (and a few sisters) can’t stand Belichick, and I get the whole Spygate bending of the rules — but as one who deeply appreciates the aspects of this great game, I really dig that guy.

Smart as a whip, ahead of the curve, creates angles and opps, much respect to the Hoodie. He’s got a nice dry/wry sense of humor too – he’s alright.

6. revroy78 says: May 3, 2013 4:28 PM

Look we all know Bilichick can’t just show up to Bucs’ headquarters to bug the place. Much easier to invite over Tampa’s coaches and secretly place a hidden camera on them. That way they’ll be introducing the cameras/audio equipment to their practice facility themselves.

I’m honestly surprised Bilichick doesn’t have his own squadron of aerial drones at this point.

7. mrpresident2 says: May 3, 2013 4:31 PM

Never heard of such a thing…that’s pretty cool

8. garyhd01 says: May 3, 2013 4:33 PM

9. ampats says: May 3, 2013 4:40 PM

Have to love Rams fans still making excuses for the “greatest show on turf” choking on the biggest stage blaming a rule initiated by Roger Goodell in 2006.

10. meandjuliojonesdownbytheschoolyard says: May 3, 2013 4:52 PM

If Schiano is bringing his guys up there to learn general principles of leadership and establishing a cohesive culture, than I’m all for it. As much as I hate the patriots the way that locker room stays out if the headlines and always remains competitive is pretty impressive.

11. azarkhan says: May 3, 2013 4:58 PM

Schiano is a second year coach who appears to be building the Bucs into a contender. If he and his staff can get some tips from the Patriot coaches on what it takes to run a successful team, more power to them.

12. bucrightoff says: May 3, 2013 4:58 PM

Belichick has gotten himself a lot of Rutgers players the past few years. Clearly he thinks highly of Schiano’s ability to produce NFL ready players. And as a Buc fan it makes me think we have a damn good coach.

13. nolasoxfan2012 says: May 3, 2013 5:00 PM

Quoting garyhd01: “as a ram fan subjected to a super bowl loss after spy gate my thinking is that for every piece of info shiano gets belechick will probably get 2 sending coaches to the pats is like allowing the fox into the hen house”

Please learn what Spygate was. It had nothing to do with the Pats-Rams Superbowl. The “Superbowl tape” never happened and isn’t Spygate. It’s an urban legend. The man who published the article making that claim didn’t have legitimate sources. He and his bosses published it anyways because they thought someone else was going to publish a story to that effect. He was forced to retract the story, but only after a bunch of people conflated it with “Spygate.” He no longers covers the NFL.

14. 8to80texansblog says: May 3, 2013 5:02 PM

Belichik is going to show him all the best places to hide cameras in other teams practice falcilites….

15. frankiefiveangels says: May 3, 2013 5:10 PM

I’m a patriots fan and I find Belichick’s fondness for Greg Schiano and Rutgers somewhat odd. In fact I am wondering if there is a scheme for Schiano to follow Belichick as Pats head coach once Belichick retires. Belichick is a god to Robert Kraft, so much so he may be making plans for his succession with Krafts blessing.

16. mrbigass says: May 3, 2013 5:18 PM

After a catered lunch, the topic will be video taping and the financial ramifications.

Totally worth it sez Bill……

17. thebigtim2012 says: May 3, 2013 5:30 PM

Nothing to see here other than 2 coaches with mutual respect trying to learn from each other. Bill does have his line of succession already in place with mcdaniels.

18. jcmeyer10 says: May 3, 2013 5:33 PM

I love this. Coaches just trying to make themselves better.

On a side note to the “Greatest Show on Turf” choking. The Pats themselves proved a couple times, high powered offenses don’t always translate in the Super Bowl.

19. mitybuc says: May 3, 2013 6:54 PM

“I love this. Coaches just trying to make themselves better.” -snip

Agreed.

This kinda meet is unusual…but very cool.

The longstanding professional culture/aura/mindset/ect of the Pats locker room is second to none in the league.

(Talib will be a model citizen (which i think will happen) or gone)

Big fan of how Shiano’s molding this Buc team/staff.

20. j0esixpack says: May 3, 2013 9:32 PM

Seems to me they could also help give each other additional scouting insights into respective AFC and NFC teams each has to play.

21. petedutcher says: May 4, 2013 12:00 AM

Bill is being unusually unselfish with Schiano. Very out of character.

Odd but I’m not complaining. As a Bucs fanI want Schiano to become the best coach in Bucs history.

22. randallflagg52 says: May 4, 2013 12:52 AM

Topics of the meeting will include how to hide a camera during practice, and how to cheat using the injury report.

23. CKL says: May 4, 2013 8:46 AM

thebigtim2012 says:
    May 3, 2013 5:30 PM
    __________________________________
    I will weep if McDaniels becomes the Pats HC someday. I didn’t even want him back as OC.

BB had joint practices with the Saints before too and the staffs interacted and learned from each other. I think he views them as teaching and learning experiences for himself as much as it is for his players.

Frankly the one that raised my eyebrows was when he invited Shanny into Pats camp the year Shanny was unemployed. Shanny has a pretty good track record against the Pats. I didn’t want him learning anything that would make it even better!

24. bucswin10 says: May 4, 2013 9:18 AM

What is the big deal….Football guys that live and breathe football every minute of the day getting together to discuss football.. There is no insider information, nothing wrong with guys talking about thier craft…Yes there are alot of jokes to be made here lots of material here but I have no problem with it and I applaud both sides for doing it…Its not like a new coach can just jump on PFT and learn about life in the NFL..LOL

25. yem123 says: May 4, 2013 12:06 PM

They became good friends when Belichicks son enrolled at Rutgers. Belichick would go down there to talk to the Rutgers players, he got to know them which explains why he has drafted so many.

26. cliverush says: May 4, 2013 1:34 PM

The Pats have hosted NFC South teams in the past. (The Saints and the Bucs) The players enjoy the experience and get out of the heat for a few days. There is a scrimmage which allows players a chance to show their stuff. Good for these two teams.