Boley’s agents issue statement

iyJ5gV3ftOuY Getty Images

On Thursday, reports surfaced that former Giants linebacker Michael Boley pleaded guilty to felony child abuse in Alabama three days after being released.

Boley has addressed the situation, via a statement issued by his agents.

Here’s the full text of it:  “Mr. Boley is dealing with a personal matter that allegedly happened nearly two years ago.  Michael has been and always will be a loving and supportive father to all of his children.  Due to the circumstances of the situation, he has chosen to enter into an arrangement with the Courts that serves the best interest of his family.  During this difficult time, Michael will gain strength from his family and continue to be the loving father that everyone knows him to be.  We ask that everyone respect the Boley family’s privacy at this time.”

The statement implies, subtly, that Boley pleaded guilty not because he’s guilty but in order to close the door on a bad situation.  And that can be a somewhat dangerous proposition for folks who have pleaded guilty to any crime, since pleading guilty means accepting responsibility.  Any statement that undermines the acceptance of responsibility opens the door to an effort to invalidate the plea agreement.

Boley for now remains in a diversion program, and if he successfully completes it the entire situation will disappear.

Permalink 21 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New York Giants, Rumor Mill
21 Responses to “Boley’s agents issue statement”
  1. joetoronto says: May 3, 2013 12:26 PM

Personally, I would NEVER plead guilty to “felony child abuse” if I wasn’t guilty.

No way, no how.

2. gotampabay52 says: May 3, 2013 12:37 PM

I agree i get new lawyer

3. justintuckrule says: May 3, 2013 12:39 PM

joetoronto says:
    May 3, 2013 12:26 PM

No way, no how.
    ——–
    Says the guy behind the cozy confines of a keyboard who’s not facing years in jail with criminals that love victimizing child offenders and not facing the testimony of a whole family of money grubbing in laws looking for a crumb of the $25M contract boley signed when this happened.

4. mtgblue1979 says: May 3, 2013 12:42 PM

He plead guilty because he IS guilty.

5. zaggs says: May 3, 2013 12:43 PM

“Any statement that undermines the acceptance of responsibility opens the door to an effort to invalidate the plea agreement.”

Unless that was part of the plea agreement.

6. canadianbucsfan says: May 3, 2013 12:43 PM

” Michael has been and always will be a loving and supportive father to all of his children. ”

Thats a bunch of BS.

7. spideysdog says: May 3, 2013 12:47 PM

justintuckrule,

typically I would agree with you. judging someone whose Arse is being held against the fire is a difficult thing to do. the one thing I will say, though, is that in order for any high end lawyer, worth an ounce of salt, to advise or push a plea agreement, there is typically more than he said / she said testimony. I would be highly surprised If he accepted diversion without a large amount of evidence being secured beyond statements.

on the flip side, as a Seahawks fan I commend the Giants for standing up and saying they want no part of this.

8. ryanrockzzz says: May 3, 2013 1:00 PM

This guy obviously isn’t a good person. In order to have these types of charges filed, the state has to undergo a investigation into the claims. Being a higher profile client is the only thing that is keeping him out of jail in this situation.

And @justintuckrule, I can see why Boley would want to plead down to avoid jail time. But that only makes him a worse person, and has nothing to do with money. It has everything to do with him not wanting to face any jail related consequence to something awful he admitted doing. If people want some of his contract, that’s a story for another day, and I would be surprised if someone just made this whole thing up to get money, unless they want to go to jail also.

9. kev86 says: May 3, 2013 1:11 PM

As a football fan, I’ll remember Boleys on the field hit that left Romo in a heap with a broken collar bone. And the second SB win over the Patriots of course.

10. onereasonableman says: May 3, 2013 1:51 PM

I read this as a carefully crafted statement to get as close as possible to making a client look like he is not guilty so he might get a chance to catch on with another team.

11. duncanthecat says: May 3, 2013 2:03 PM

Hopefully he can get his act together and move on.

He gave the Giants a couple of decent years.

12. k9krap says: May 3, 2013 2:06 PM

Part of the reason for the plea could be to keep the child/children involved from having to go through a trial and possibly testifying.

13. yashraba says: May 3, 2013 2:19 PM

just out of curiosity, in the court of law are there different levels of felony child abuse? I find it odd that someone can be facing felony child abuse charges that hold serious jailtime consequences, but can avoid it all with a simple diversion program. Frankly, if anyone pleads guilty to abusing a child its a travesty that they aren’t thrown in jail, but I’m just wondering if thats due to the “level” of abuse. The consequences he is facing as opposed to what he could have faced seem like they are on opposite sides of the spectrum, and it’s a bit of a head scratcher if a child abuser says “I did it” and is allowed to essentially walk free.

14. anarchopurplism says: May 3, 2013 2:25 PM

Pleading “No contest” was not an option?

15. justintuckrule says: May 3, 2013 2:26 PM

@joetoronto, @spideydog and @ ryanroczz –

I respect what you all have said and admire your stance that for such a despicable offense, if you knew you were innocent, you’d fight the charge to your grave.

I hate throwing this out there because it makes me sound dooshie, but, as an attorney, I can tell you that there are two schools of thought and neither are really wrong. There’s yours above and then there’s the “making a business decision approach”.

What is left unsaid in all of this is the huge risk Boley faces fighting the charges (even if he’s 100% innocent) and all of the intangibles that nobody addresses. Boley is 31 and, at best, has one payday left. Get sucked into a messy, COSTLY and very publicized child abuse trial and that goes bye bye. If he plays the “contrite”, “doing it for my family”, “we’re trying to get through this”, “it was a mistake that I’m learning from” card, he still has a chance to sign with someone. The news cycle is quick in this day and age.

Nevermind the fact that these cases are all “he said, she said”. There are plenty of 100% innocent child abusers in jail rotting away who chose morals over business decision. I for one wouldn’t risk my life on the decision of some backwoods Alabama (likely evangelical) jury.

16. granadafan says: May 3, 2013 3:48 PM

“During this difficult time, Michael will gain strength from his family and continue to be the loving father that everyone knows him to be. ”

Hahaha, this why lawyers have that well-deserved reputation as liars and scum.

17. garyhd01 says: May 3, 2013 4:49 PM

shouldn’t he have to allecute and tell the court exactly what he actually did, if in allecuting he says he did no wrong then its a faulty confession that should have to be proven and who filed the charges was it the mother a neighbor or a social worker too many questions not enough answers was he beating the kids locking them outside in the rain or something way worse

18. johnnysoup1 says: May 4, 2013 12:21 AM

Michael has an Autistic son. He was in Phoenix several years ago doing a fundraiser for ASD awareness. Very sad to hear this….

19. joetoronto says: May 4, 2013 4:24 AM

justintuckrule:

It’s not everyday someone gets charged with “felony child abuse”. It’s a super heavy charge that’s very rare.

I’m guessing that if Boley wasn’t a Giant, you would have a totally different take on this situation.

As much as I love this great game of football, and I love it to hell, NOTHING gets put above the safety of children to me, nothing at all.

20. fruitcovejag says: May 5, 2013 12:27 AM

Get him Jags! One year, maybe two. Lets go Jags!

21. bigearl5276 says: May 5, 2013 8:54 AM

Listen my 1st question is how many of you havefaced any prison time not jail time there,s a difference. 2 the DA’s office does not offer pre-trial diversion to people when they have sufficient evidence to convict that person. If you read the conditions it says charges would be dropped. As in Boley didn’t do this to begin with. It is clear to me that Boley disputed the charges and the DA has to work in best intrest of the victum but he/she obviously believed Boley didn’t do this to some extent in order for them to offer him the opportunity to ultimatly clear his name upon completion of the program. If charges are dropped they can be removed from public record and this goes away. Also, people will subject their children bad situations for $$$ or in this to cost Boley his job(the nfl doesn’t like bad press), I’m glad the DA realized this and gave Boley the chance to show that he is innocent.