Rex Ryan hopes to coach Jets for “about another 20 years”

AP

As Jets coach Rex Ryan prepares for his fifth, and most tenuous, season with the team, he continues to believe that he’ll remain on the job for many more to come.

In an interview with WLNY-TV in New York, Ryan said he hopes to remain the team’s head coach for “about another 20 years.”

It’s a rare flash of bravado from a coach whose horns have been filed down to a nub in recent months, as demonstrated by far more restrained words and demeanor.  He’s clearly on the hot seat for 2013, working now for a G.M. who eventually may decide to hire his own head coach after the upcoming season ends.

With Ryan’s best player traded to Tampa and a high second-round pick used on a quarterback who may not win the starting job, the task has gotten a lot taller in the past 12 days.

70 responses to “Rex Ryan hopes to coach Jets for “about another 20 years”

1. I hope he coaches the Jets for another 20 years as well.. great coach who’s defense never falls out of the top 10. At least with Rex I know we have an identity.. couldnt say the same with Mangini, Herm, etc.. Marty Morhinweg is gonna help him out big time coaching the offense

2. He won’t be coach for another 20 games.

It’s funny to think about now, but it wasn’t that long ago that Ryan was considered a coaching genius.

3. I’m a Jets fan but I constantly ask myself “WILL THIS GUY EVER SHUT UP”. He keeps putting his foot in his mouth. I guess it has to do with his fetish. Between the bravado and outright lies i.e. “we plan to use Tebow a lot, Tony Sparano does a great job for us” you wonder if it will take the ringmaster to leave so this “circus” atmosphere ends. He needs to take a page from the crotchety old man playbook of Tom Coughlin and just stop talking and try to produce on the field and let those results speak for themselves.

4. I know I love Jet bashing BUT unfortunately for Rex the man who hired him is going to be the reason it will cost him his job. If Tannenbaum ever gets another GM job outside of managing a McDonalds, that owner should be drug tested.

5. Once Wrecks Ryan stops living in denial and starts accepting reality then maybe he can start planning on coaching in future.

The Jets will win a superbowl guaranteed. Mark Sanchez is our QB guaranteed. Revis will always be a Jet guaranteed…. notice how once he guarantee’s something things start going in the opposite direction??

Now he wants to coach the jets for 20 more years… I think he’ll be lucky to get 20 more months.

6. I “hope” they make him coach for life. That way there is one less team in the league to compete against.

7. bosskingnation says: May 3, 2013 1:42 PM

————————————————

Hey Jets Fan,

We just finished having the same feeling. I mean did you ever hear Chan Gailey talk? At least Rex sounds like he believes the bullsh*t coming out of his own mouth…

Bills Fan

(P.S. Thanks again for holding the bottom for us this year guys)

8. I swear the Jets can’t go a single day without a player or coach TALKING about what they are GOING to do.

Why don’t you guys all stop talking, go perform on the field and talk about what you have DONE.

9. And I HOPE to win the lottery and score a date with Kate Upton and we all know how far hoping that happens is going to get me soooooo…

10. Just when you think he started to be humble, he strikes again, i don’t think he can be quiet, no matter how hard he tries, lets go get a damn snack.

11. whatnojets says: May 3, 2013 1:45 PM
    The best head coach the New York Jets have/had in many years

Even if true, it’s a sad statement. The hapless jet franchise has become a laughingstock. Wrecks has a lot to do with this.

12. Hey, it could always be worse. Jerrah Jones could be the owner/GM, Stevie Jones the VP of Mouthpieces, Rex the headcoach and brother Robbie the DC.

13. SDboltz- I would seriously worry about my own
    sorry team. SD has been the ultimate underachiever and consistently whipped in SD by the Jets whenever they make the playoffs.
    You want to talk about QB issues. Rivers has become a bottom dweller among AFC QB’s and is
    looking at another pathetic season.
    How did your coach do again????

14. hehateme2 says:
    May 3, 2013 2:06 PM
    whatnojets says: May 3, 2013 1:45 PM
    The best head coach the New York Jets have/had in many years

——————————————–

Look it up Hehe…..the best coach NYJ ever had/have

15. Great, at the end of it, the Jets will have another 20 make believe trophies that someone in their organization guaranteed.

16. Rex was doomed to fail with the state of the team and the personnel/salary cap/contract issues, but Idzik is doing such a good job rebuilding (with limited resources) that he may save Rex’s job.

17. dlk47823 says:
    May 3, 2013 2:13 PM
    Bills fans- You’ve lost 10 of last 14 vs Jets- end of story.

———————————————

And you both have the same number of Super Bowl trophies over that span to show for it. End of story.

18. Rex is a good coach and I love his refreshing style. Won a Super Bowl as DC in Baltimore and is 4 and 2 in the playoffs. One losing season and everyone wants to write him off. F that , I’m glad the jets finally have a winning coach.
    Now that Tannebaum is gone I hope ownership lets Rex show what he can do with a decent roster. (2 AFC championship games)

19. “whatnojets says:May 3, 2013 1:45 PM

The best head coach the New York Jets have/had in many years!

And that’s why they haven’t won a superbowl in a really long time.

I’m a Fins’ so trust me, I know our coaches have sucked since Shula, but at least I’m not delusional to think tha they were awesome.

20. I hope both he and his brother coach for more than the next 42 years as we need the humor from listening to the inane comments they constantly spew.

21. In addition to the arrest meter maybe there should be a Jests meter for every time somebody on the Jests says/does something stupid which means it will probably never make it past 1 day.

22. overkil2 says:
    May 3, 2013 2:39 PM

And that’s why they haven’t won a superbowl in a really long time.

——————————–

I’m saying that he’s the best coach we have for the last 30-40 years. Better than Parcells and the rest of those wannabes…

Name me one who has a better record than Rex

ZERO-NONE-NADA

23. Jets fans need to talk more about their Superbowl win. I know, I know, that was back in the days of Caligula, but hey, the Jets did get one. Talking about ancient SB wins seems to work for the Niners fans, so why not those of GangGreen?

Way to go Rex, this Bud’s for you!

24. So 20 years means December 30, 2013 right? Chuckie is already looking at houses in the New Jersey area Rex.

25. sdb0ltz says: May 3, 2013 1:38 PM

The Patriots, Bills and Dolphin fans all approve that message.
    _________________________________
    Glad you all feel that way – I mean the Pats have lost to the Jets in the playoffs since Rex became HC and both the Fins and Bills haven’t made the playoffs since Rex became HC

26. If he is going by the same time measurements as his brother where 5 minutes = 20 days, 20 years would equal 576,000 years.

We can only dream.

27. Also, what is Rex saying in this article that is so bad? The guy is saying he hopes to remain the HC of the Jets for 20 years – is that really being terrible?

What coach says “I hope to never be a HC again?”

28. Jet fans are constantly bewailing how the media is crapping on the poor franchize. While in some cases they have a point, but what they don’t understand is that the Jets have EARNED that reputation of being a “circus” And the man who is responsible for most of the damage is Rex Ryan.

So stop whining about all the bad publicity and learn to live with it until your franchize has EARNED the right to be called something different than the laughing stock of the NFL

29. Noll coached the Steelers for 23 years and earned that longevity. Parcells coached 22 years, and it spanned 4 teams and two intermediate retirements.

The only current coaches that deserve to coach their current teams until they retire for good are Belichick, Coughlin, and Tomlin… maybe McCarthy.

Right now, Rex Ryan hasn’t earned 2014 – forget 2033.

30. As a pats fan I hope he’s right. Always nice to have an opposing coach that has no idea what’s going on in his own offense and making roster decisions based entirely on loyalty.

31. He should not have been allowed to coach after his last 20 minutes in 2012.

He’s a downward trend coach that can’t give anyone hope!!

32. Yikes, hopes he takes his post-season firing okay. He just can’t shut his yapper and this new GM isn’t going to have it.

33. jrs1972 – agree! It’s great being fans of a NY team that lately always seems= to beat NE when it matters most – Playoffs and SB

34. Some of the people on here really need to stop feeding into all this Jets drama. Oh yeah Rex is back to running his mouth all because he said he hopes he still coaching the Jets in 20 years. Yeah nobody hear here hopes there not working in 20 years.

35. Jet fans are constantly bewailing how the media is crapping on the poor franchize. While in some cases they have a point, but what they don’t understand is that the Jets have EARNED that reputation of being a “circus” And the man who is responsible for most of the damage is Rex Ryan.

THAT IS ABSOLUTELY AN ACCURATE STATEMENT!

45 YEARS…and won 2 division titles….I mean that’s the NFL’s septic tank.

My best memory of jets, was last Thanksgiving evening..NE just ran them out of their own stadium..blew them out…Fireman Ed defects,,and by start of 3rd period, maybe 10-15,000 loyal fans left, half of them Patriot fans.

Hoping they do keep Rex another 20…jets may hit 65 years w/o reaching SB.

For those jet fans critical of Bills/Dolphins…check out times in playoffs, playoff wins, and compare to jets..not close. All 3 teams have sucked last decade plus, but jets maybe NFL’s worst franchise in history.

36. He’ll be lucky to stay just over 20 days into The regular season. They’ll go 0 fer or win 1 preseason game, lose there first three reg games and he’s toast. He’s a chump who needs to be a coordinator somewhere.

37. WHAT A J O K E.!!!!!!! IT WILL TAKE JUST THAT 20 YEARS TO UNDO THIS CIRCUS THAT THIS FAT IDIOT HAS CREATED.

38. Rex I have a feeling you and Sanchez will be gone at the end of the season, but hopefully they’ll dump Sanchez before the season even starts. I think even Woody Johnson is starting to see your act has grown old.

39. ampats says:
    May 3, 2013 1:47 PM
    ________________________________
    Sadly, Tanny is now an agent. If he can find a bunch of GMs who write bad contracts like he did, he’ll get rich!

I’m the rare Pats fan who doesn’t mind Rex most of the time. And he said nothing wrong here. Come on, man. Even when Rex was told about how G. Smith guaranteed the Jets would make the playoffs, he just smiled and said “I hope he’s right”. 2009 Rex never would have done that. I respect that Rex is willing to change how he does things when things don’t go well. A true egotist wouldn’t do that. It’s a sign that he could be a very good HC someday. Right now, I think he’s still too “young’ in the job to say for sure (not many would have seen it in BB after his first few years either), but he’s also been handicapped by having an awful GM and an owner who is off in la la land half the time. Let’s see what happens.

40. Millions of football fans would like him to stay there a lot longer alos. Of course, none of those people are Jets fans.