Ansah offered free movies tickets, thanks to glasses

Ziggy Ansah AP

What started off as a goof has turned into a perk for Lions first-round pick Ziggy Ansah.

As a dare from college buddies, the former BYU defensive end wore lensless 3D glasses when he was drafted. The look, as you might expect, drew attention.

Now, according to Brian Manzullo of the Detroit Free Press, Ansah has been offered free admission to IMAX movies for a year.

Ansah picked up the glasses while seeing the movie “Thor,” and hanging onto them has paid off.

“We, at IMAX, couldn’t help but notice your keen sense of style at the NFL draft this year,” the company said in a letter. “You made quite a fashion statement with your pair of 3D glasses. As a member of the Detroit Lions, you share our love for the color blue and we would like to add an IMAX silver lining for you – we would love to celebrate your first year in the NFL with the opportunity to see all IMAX 3D movies on us for the next year.”

Of course, Ansah’s meteoric rise to the fifth overall spot in the draft will enable him to be able to afford all the movie tickets he wants.

Permalink 19 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Detroit Lions, Home, Rumor Mill
19 Responses to “Ansah offered free movies tickets, thanks to glasses”
  1. shawon0meter says: May 4, 2013 3:48 PM

Doesn’t Von Miller and half the NBA wear the same glasses?

2. randallflagg52 says: May 4, 2013 3:48 PM

That’s pretty cool of IMAX. I also like Ansah’s goofy sense of humor. The game needs more clownish types like him and less criminals.

3. thetroofishere says: May 4, 2013 3:51 PM

Why is it that the millionaires are the ones whol always get the free stuff?

4. PeterKingLovesCoqAVin says: May 4, 2013 3:56 PM

I get that IMAX wants to piggyback on this for brand awareness, but I’ve never understood why companies think it’s good PR to give free stuff to rich people. I find it senseless.

5. kotapug says: May 4, 2013 4:02 PM

Slow news day ?

6. saints4life57 says: May 4, 2013 4:04 PM

I agree with why do the rich people always get stuff for free? But lets look at this! If I wear those glass’s , about 30 people tops are going to see me with them on! He wears them and millions of people see them! Hmmm it’s not really brain science!

7. tfbuckfutter says: May 4, 2013 4:06 PM

“As a dare from college buddies, the former BYU defensive end wore lensless 3D glasses when he was drafted.”

Wow. Those outrageous mormons.

8. dhn66 says: May 4, 2013 4:06 PM

… Because rich athletes are high profile and have a lot of eyeballs on them and such gifts will result in promotional articles written on ProFootballTalk?

It’s not senseless. It’s sensible business.

9. gmsalpha says: May 4, 2013 4:11 PM

I used to work at a movie theatre. I got all the free movies I wanted, and I didn’t even have to wear those lensless 3D glasses!

10. kyannalashae says: May 4, 2013 4:31 PM

Umm I’m pretty sure OKC Thunder’s Russell Westbrook rocked those same lensless 3D glasses all of 2012 and he didn’t get any free movie tickets.

11. pathsovglory says: May 4, 2013 4:37 PM

what the heck, man? if I wore lenseless 3D glasses for a day you think I could maybe get just 1 free IMax movie pass? Lol

12. vilelabyrinth says: May 4, 2013 4:58 PM

lame story is just an excuse to take a shot at a kid for no apparent reason…cool.

13. silvernblak says: May 4, 2013 5:33 PM

I will give a shout out to the LDS Mormons! Atleast its a harmless little joke and not adrug violation, resisting arrest or DUI! Keep up the good character Ansah its refreshing to hear in the NFL!!!

14. sosuhme says: May 4, 2013 6:04 PM

For all of you who were laughing and making fun of him – look who’s laughing now. Free movies!!!

15. j4man1 says: May 4, 2013 6:57 PM

Just makes him look like the moron he apparently is.

16. atsbuzz says: May 4, 2013 7:58 PM

I feel sorry for the guy. He won’t fit in with the inmates on the Lions’ D; too nice of a guy.

17. tangysizzl says: May 4, 2013 8:32 PM

I just thought he was making fun of the Lions first round pick last year who wore similar looking glasses.

18. peytonsneck18 says: May 4, 2013 8:34 PM

If i wear a rubber, will Magnum give me a free year supply?

19. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: May 7, 2013 7:49 PM

And for looking like he is 60 years old, Ansah will receive free Centrum Silver for a year.