Skip to content

J’Marcus Webb details efforts to overcome personal struggles

Atlanta Falcons v Chicago Bears Getty Images

In an interview with the Chicago Tribune published Friday night, Bears offensive tackle J’Marcus Webb called his February arrest on drug-related charges “a wake-up call.”

“I had not been in one of those situations before, but I definitely had to deal with the consequences. I had to take the time to handle them and man up,” Webb told the Tribune‘s Fred Mitchell of his arrest. In the end, Webb was not prosecuted in the incident.

Webb told the Tribune that he has “taken the time to get sober and to remain sober” and that sobriety has “definitely has helped me on the field and off.” According to the Tribune, Webb indicated personal issues had affected his play.

Webb started all 16 games at left tackle in 2012 for the Bears, but with Chicago signing Jermon Bushrod, Webb (6-7, 333) seems ticketed for another position, perhaps right tackle, in 2013.

That’s business. In the Tribune interview, he shared some of his personal story, and here’s to hoping it’s helpful as he tries to live a healthy life.

Permalink 18 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Chicago Bears, Home, Rumor Mill
yo

Ravens part ways with 2013 fourth-rounder John Simon

Baltimore Ravens v New Orleans Saints Getty Images

The Ravens drafted 10 players in 2013, but only six of them will remain with the organization through Saturday’s cuts.

Aaron Wilson of the Baltimore Sun reports that the team has waived linebacker John Simon, who was their fourth-round pick last season. Offensive lineman Ryan Jensen was also on the cut list and the duo joins wide receiver Aaron Mellette and defensive back Marc Anthony as 2013 picks on the discard pile.

Simon played seven games as a rookie, recording four tackles, and had a sack in four preseason appearances this season. Jensen didn’t play in the regular season last year, but he and Simon both have practice squad eligibility remaining.

Wilson also reports that the Ravens have parted ways with cornerbacks Dominique Franks, Sammy Seamster and Tramain Jacobs. Franks’s departure is a good sign for the health of Lardairus Webb, Jimmy Smith and Asa Jackson as well as the chances of Derek Cox sticking with a team he joined earlier this week. Rookie defensive tackles A.J. Pataiali’i and Jamie Meder have also been cut.

 

Permalink 0 Comments Feed for comments Back to top

Adam Snyder released by the offensive line-thin 49ers

San Francisco 49ers head coach Harbaugh congratulates Snyder after the 49ers defeated the New Orleans Saints in their NFL NFC Divisional playoff football game in San Francisco Reuters

The 49ers were running short on the offensive line anyway, with the holdout of guard Alex Boone.

But they’re even younger and thinner there now.

According to Matt Maiocco of CSNBayArea.com, the 49ers are cutting veteran offensive lineman Adam Snyder.

There’s apparently nothing happening toward resolving the Boone situation, so the 49ers are going to go into the season with Joe Looney starting at right guard and several young players in key backup roles.

The 32-year-old Snyder started four games for the 49ers last year, and has 87 NFL starts. He should find work quickly if he wants.

Permalink 0 Comments Feed for comments Back to top

Browns release Leon McFadden

Leon McFadden AP

The Browns are parting ways with their third-round pick from the 2013 NFL Draft.

The club will waive cornerback Leon McFadden, Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer reported Saturday. PFT has confirmed the Browns will release McFadden, a San Diego State product.

McFadden (5-10, 190) played in all 16 games for Cleveland in 2013, making 19 tackles. He made two starts.

The Browns have also waived offensive guard Garrett Gilkey, a 2013 seventh-round pick, the Plain Dealer reported.

Of the Browns’ five 2013 picks, only outside linebacker Barkevious Mingo (Round One) and defensive end Armonty Bryant (Round Seven) remain on the roster. However, three of the Browns’ five picks were final-day selections. The club also acquired a pair of 2014 draft picks during the ’13 draft.

Permalink 0 Comments Feed for comments Back to top

Brandon Meriweather loses appeal of suspension

Meriweather AP

Washington safety Brandon Meriweather is officially suspended for the first two games of the regular season.

Meriweather, who was suspended for his sixth violation of the rules against hitting defenseless opponents in the head, has lost his appeal of that suspension.

The appeal was heard by Ted Cottrell, who is hired jointly by the NFL and the NFL Players Association. Cottrell was an NFL linebacker and had a long career as a defensive coach, so he’s not opposed to tough, physical defensive football. In fact, Cottrell reduced another suspension for Meriweather last year, from two games to one. But Meriweather has crossed the line too many times.

Meriweather will be eligible to re-join Washington for Week Three.

Permalink 2 Comments Feed for comments Back to top

Bengals release Orson Charles

Charles Getty Images

And another 2012 draft pick has been cut by the Bengals.

Joining second-rounder Devon Still on the waiver wire is tight end/H-back/fullback Orson Charles, a fourth-round pick two years ago.

Charles appeared in 16 regular-season games with six starts as a rookie.  Last year, he appeared in six games.

Listed as an H-back, he moved to fullback from tight end in 2013.  Depending on what former Bengals offensive coordinator Jay Gruden thinks of Charles, there’s a chance he could end up in Washington.

Permalink 2 Comments Feed for comments Back to top

Saints drop rookie receiver Brandon Coleman

Coleman AP

The Saints have had plenty of success in recent years with first-year receivers.  Brandon Coleman won’t be one of them.

Per a league source, Coleman has been waived.

At six feet, six inches, Coleman could become in time an intriguing weapon.  As recently explained by Katherine Terrell of the New Orleans Times-Picayune, drops in camp made it much more difficult for Coleman to make the roster.

If he clears waivers, Coleman has a good change of landing on the practice squad.

Permalink 1 Comment Feed for comments Back to top

Eben Britton among cuts in Chicago

Chicago Bears v Carolina Panthers Getty Images

The Bears continue to clear out the veteran backups on their offensive line.

The Chicago Tribune reports that Eben Britton has joined Dennis Roland and Rob Turner on the discard pile as the team makes its way to 53 players. Britton, a 2009 second-round pick in Jacksonville, re-signed with the Bears after playing 13 games for them last season but the team’s opted for a younger look on the depth chart.

As a vested veteran, Britton can sign anywhere without waiting for the waiver process to play out.

Biggs reports that the Bears have also parted ways with offensive lineman Taylor Boggs, offensive lineman Ryan Groy, wide receiver Dale Moss, wide receiver/kick returner Chris Williams, linebacker DeDe Lattimore, defensive lineman Lee Pegues, linebacker Jerry Franklin, safety Marcus Trice and cornerback C.J. Wilson.

Permalink 2 Comments Feed for comments Back to top

Reports: Vincent Brown doesn’t make Chargers’ roster

Vincent Brown, Charles Woodson AP

Vincent Brown’s time with the Chargers could be at a close.

According to Michael Gehlken of the San Diego Union-Tribune, the fourth-year wide receiver has not made the club’s 53-player roster.

Brown will be waived-injured, NFL Media’s Ian Rapoport reported Saturday, according to NFL.com. Brown has been sidelined with a calf injury throughout the summer and did not appear in any exhibition games.

The 25-year-old Brown caught 41 passes for 472 yards and a touchdown in 16 games (12 starts) for San Diego in 2013. The Chargers selected him in the third round of the 2011 NFL Draft.

Permalink 9 Comments Feed for comments Back to top

Titans cut Maikon Bonani, Tommie Campbell

Maikon Bonani

The Titans may have settled on Rob Bironas’s replacement at kicker.

Travis Coons has outlasted Maikon Bonani in this summer’s competition. Jim Wyatt of the Tennessean reports that Bonani has been cut after entering camp as the favorite. Bonani was 3-of-4 on both field goals and extra points. Coons, an undrafted free agent, made 2-of-3 field goals and could still conceivably be replaced when the Titans see who is available after all the cuts have been made.

Cornerback Tommie Campbell, a 2011 seventh-round pick who was flagged for seven penalties during the exhibition season, has also been released. Campbell went on Twitter to thank Titans fans for their support.

Wyatt also reports that linebacker Moise Fokous, tight end Chase Coffman, cornerback Ri’Shard Anderson, offensive lineman Eric Olsen, quarterback Dominique Davis and tight end Jason Schepler have been released.

Permalink 1 Comment Feed for comments Back to top

Bengal cut former second-rounder Devon Still

Still Getty Images

In 2012, the Bengals used a second-round pick on defensive lineman Devon Still.  In 2014, they release him.

Per a league source, Still will be among the cuts down to 53 players.

Still appeared in 10 games last season and eight as a rookie.  He told PFT Live a month before the 2012 draft that Still, who played at Penn State, is a Steelers fan.  The Steelers, along with every other team, will now have a chance to claim him on waivers.

Still’s situation underscores the inherent crapshoot that is the draft.  In the same year they ultimately wasted a second-round pick on Still, the Bengals signed an undrafted linebacker named Vontaze Burfict.

Permalink 3 Comments Feed for comments Back to top

Giants place Mario Manningham, Trindon Holliday on IR

New York Giants v New York Jets Getty Images

The Giants brought back Super Bowl hero Mario Manningham this offseason after he spent two injury-plagued seasons in San Francisco, but he couldn’t stay healthy enough to make the club.

According to multiple reports, the Giants will place Manningham on injured reserve on Saturday because of a calf injury he suffered in the team’s preseason finale. Per the same reports, kick returner Trindon Holliday, signed as a free agent this offseason, will be joining him after battling a hamstring injury for most of the summer.

Manningham was a 2008 third-round pick by the Giants and caught 160 passes for them over four year before moving on to the 49ers as a free agent. He had 51 catches in two years in California, but the injuries have derailed the career of a productive wideout.

Holliday returned two punts and two kickoffs for touchdowns with the Broncos over the last two seasons, but won’t be able to help the Giants in that area this season. The Giants may now turn to wide receiver Rueben Randle in the return game.

Permalink 3 Comments Feed for comments Back to top

Lions cut Stafford’s buddy Kris Durham

durham AP

The Lions have released a favorite receiver of Matthew Stafford.

Kris Durham, a former college teammate and roommate of Stafford’s, was cut today.

Durham played well at times for the Lions, but when Detroit signed Golden Tate this offseason there was one less roster spot available for a wide receiver, and it appears that Durham will lose the numbers game to be one of the backups behind Tate and Calvin Johnson.

Durham caught 38 passes for 490 yards last season.

Other Lions cuts include running back George Winn, tackle Michael Williams, cornerback Mohammed Seisay, defensive end Darryl Tapp, offensive lineman Garrett Reynolds, safety Nate Ness, linebacker Brandon Hepburn, center Darren Keyton and linebacker Shamari Benton.

Permalink 6 Comments Feed for comments Back to top

Eagles announce their full list, including Alex Henery

Alex Henery AP

Eagles coach Chip Kelly has always dared to be different.

So it stands to figure that the Eagles would buck the cut-day trend.

While many teams drag it out until the final minute, the Eagles are the first to announce their full list today.

The Eagles waived the following 19 players: Linebacker Emmanuel Acho, offensive lineman Josh Andrews, running back Kenjon Barner (waived/injured), cornerback Roc Carmichael, tackle Kevin Graf, kicker Alex Henery, wide receiver Damaris Johnson, safety Keelan Johnson, running back Henry Josey, linebacker Josh Kaddu, defensive tackle Wade Keliikipi, quarterback G.J. Kinne, cornerback Curtis Marsh, wide receiver Ifeanyi Momah, wide receiver Will Murphy, wide receiver Quron Pratt, safety Ed Reynolds, defensive tackle Damion Square and running back Matthew Tucker.

They also placed wide receiver Arrelious Benn and linebacker Travis Long on injured reserve.

With Lane Johnson’s suspension for the first four games, they’re now to the 53-man limit.

Permalink 9 Comments Feed for comments Back to top

Seahawks releasing Eric Winston

Eric Winston AP

The Seahawks are releasing one of the NFL’s most notable right tackles of recent seasons.

The club is parting ways with Eric Winston, PFT’s Mike Florio reported on Saturday.

The Seahawks signed Winston in July to compete for their right tackle job, a position that has been won by rookie Justin Britt.

The 30-year-old Winston has made 119 regular season starts at right tackle. He was a 16-game starter for Arizona in 2013. Before that, he had stints with Houston (2006-2011) and Kansas City (2012). It’s possible Winston could draw interest from clubs looking for experienced help on the right side.

Winston is the president of the NFL Players Association.

Permalink 33 Comments Feed for comments Back to top

Broncos cut Kevin Vickerson

Washington Redskins v Denver Broncos Getty Images

Veteran defensive lineman Kevin Vickerson did not make the 53-man roster in Denver.

Vickerson, who started 11 games last season for the Broncos, was cut today, according to Mike Klis of the Denver Post.

The move comes as something of a surprise considering Vickerson’s status as a starter last season, but the Broncos are deep on the defensive line, and they decided to go with younger players including the 25-year-old Marvin Austin, who signed with Denver this year.

Vickerson will become an unrestricted free agent immediately.

Permalink 7 Comments Feed for comments Back to top