Ravens rookie went from number two to Round Three

Brandon Williams AP

For Brandon Williams, the Ravens’ third-round pick, everything’s coming up roses.

Or maybe it’s just that anything would smell better than his old job.

The rookie nose tackle will never be offended by the smell of an NFL locker room, since his last job was hauling and moving portable toilets.

Sometimes, you got a little poop on you,” Williams said, via Aaron Wilson of the Baltimore Sun. “Every time I was doing that, I said to myself, ‘I gotta work harder, I’m not doing this the rest of my life.’ It motivated me to get better.”

That’s a relief to the Ravens, who think they found a steal with the 94th overall pick.

The 330-pounder from Division II Missouri Southern tried to take his mind off his old job by pretending the Porta Jons were offensive linemen, saying: “I acted like I was playing football. I just made it fun.”

That approach was not lost on his college coach Darryl Daye, who said Williams’ work ethic set him apart from others.

“We like to say, ‘Brandon is crap house strong,'” Daye said. “No job is too small for him. He’s what you want your son to be like: honest and true blue, a pleasure to coach. Brandon came up really rough, but he never let anything stand in his way. His mother is a very old-school, stern woman who raised him to be a Christian and to always have that humble mentality.”

His mother worked two jobs to support the family while he was growing up, and Williams said he wanted to repay the favor.

And if that means never having to work at a job that stinks, all the better.

Permalink 35 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Home, Rumor Mill
35 Responses to “Ravens rookie went from number two to Round Three”
  1. bigbenownsthenfl says: May 6, 2013 9:21 AM

Haha. You’re with the Ratbirds organization now. That whole organization is poop. At least it will remind you of your old job. Poopbirds suck!

2. naanunaanu says: May 6, 2013 9:23 AM

I used to work construction and those poophouses were insane, you could hardly pee in them, without fighting back vomit. I remember the guy who would come to clean them would wear no gloves and smoke cigarettes while cleaning…… I will say that those crapboxes did have some wonderfully philosophy and insight to life. Williams must have read some of that and decided to work harder to get to where he is.

3. totallyuselessme says: May 6, 2013 9:32 AM

I instantly like this guy.

4. reed20fence says: May 6, 2013 9:36 AM

Said it woth Elam but it bears saying again:

Get used to it folks. ”Red star” players are the wave of the future.

Any scoundrel can be a model citizen when they know the scouts are watching and the cameras are on them beginning with the combine. All agents coach their guys to ”say the right things.”

But true leaders are those that earn the respect of their peers behind the scenes, in the film study sessions, in the weightrooms, and in the lockerroom.

A similar story can be written for Brown who was elected twam captain before playing a single snap for KState after transferring from “the U,” and John Simon who was one of the few men ever to captain the Buckeyes twice.

5. swagger52 says: May 6, 2013 9:56 AM

Where do the Ravens find these guys? How does every other team pass on them? I bet he likes girls too.

6. ravensdominate says: May 6, 2013 9:59 AM

We are champs. You are not.

7. ridingwithnohandlebars says: May 6, 2013 9:59 AM

Took me a second to get the joke in the headline. Congratulations Brandon, hope you keep that same attitude heading forward.

8. joemammy says: May 6, 2013 10:02 AM

Excellent career preparation for living and working in Baltimore.

9. logicailvoicesays says: May 6, 2013 10:39 AM

Hauling toilets is great preparation for playing for the Ravens.

10. bigkountry24 says: May 6, 2013 10:42 AM

Brandon just keep your head on straight and continue the good work…We all hit rough patches sometimes my man and only the strong survive! Trust me i know.

11. jtbsteeler says: May 6, 2013 10:50 AM

This is too funny. THere’s no place like the toilet bowl city of Baltimore.

12. jtbsteeler says: May 6, 2013 10:51 AM

THis guy was drafted because NGata is garbage and his career is down the toilet.

13. si1m says: May 6, 2013 10:53 AM

3rd rd ravens rookie =more newsworthy than the entire steelers organization. Except when they’re getting shown up for 3rd string WRs

14. bigbenisgay says: May 6, 2013 11:06 AM

At least he is used to handling sh!t for when we play the steelers

15. ravensdominate says: May 6, 2013 11:11 AM

Love how we always get down to earth, humble players who also have all the goods physically. Take notes redskins and steelers!

World Champs

16. granadafan says: May 6, 2013 12:11 PM

Steeler and Redskins fans are just the worst, and it’s not even close.

17. doctordirty907 says: May 6, 2013 12:46 PM

This story just made my morning, and

bigbenisgay says: May 6, 2013 11:06 AM
    At least he is used to handling sh!t for when we play the steelers

and this ^^ was the cherry on top haha!

18. flavadave10 says: May 6, 2013 12:51 PM

Hard not to root for this guy. And I love that “sometimes you get a little poop on you” quote. That needs to be the Ravens rally cry for the 2013 season!

19. scoobies05 says: May 6, 2013 1:01 PM

he must have known he would be playing pittsburgh twice a year…good practice for dealing with crap. go ravens

20. lovefootball4life says: May 6, 2013 1:44 PM

jtbsteeler says: May 6, 2013 10:51 AM

~~~~~

Holy cow! Did you actually think about this before typing it? That’s just crazy talk. Four straight pro bowl appearances and 5 straight all pro selections says differently.

21. mazblast says: May 6, 2013 1:47 PM

bigbenownsthenfl says:May 6, 2013 9:21 AM

————————————–
    This fellow Steelers fan would like to remind you that the Ravens, not our team, are the defending Super Bowl champs.

Show some respect. They have earned it. Show the respect you demand from others when our team wins it all. Then knock their heads off next season.

22. ddogdaddy says: May 6, 2013 1:53 PM

Regardless of what team he plays for, how could you not root for this guy? I hope he ends up making a crap load of money playing football.

23. ravonatorswallowsspunk says: May 6, 2013 2:02 PM

Nice pick

Cheers!

24. jomochiefsfan84 says: May 6, 2013 2:33 PM

This guy played college at my hometown & seeing anybody make it to the pros is a huge step coming from that tiny school but to later know his life story makes me wanna cheer for him “not the ravens” but for him to have a long successful career!

25. Nofoolnodrool says: May 6, 2013 3:04 PM

At least his surroundings will smell familiar .

26. crownofthehelmet says: May 6, 2013 3:43 PM

…by pretending the Porta Jons were offensive linemen.

porta jons have more mobility than Oher, and McKinnie.

27. scoobies05 says: May 6, 2013 3:44 PM

and when he goes to pittsburgh he will be used to the smell…your turn nofool

28. Nofoolnodrool says: May 6, 2013 4:00 PM

Scoobie once again copying is the sincerest form of flattery, but I am not impressed with your weak attempt. It was a story that lent itself to humor..the guy show have kept that story to himself.

29. scoobies05 says: May 6, 2013 4:38 PM

believe me…wasnt trying to imitate or flatter you. i do know that if someone posted against pitt you would be all over baltimore. perhaps next time we will have a more worthwhile topic

30. Nofoolnodrool says: May 6, 2013 4:56 PM

scoobies05 | May 6, 2013, 4:38 PM EDT

I would just as you frequently do, but the difference is you are more of a cheerleader all is well because its the ravens etc. that I don’t and won’t do. The steelers are by no means perfect so I don’t pretend they are. You on the other hand match to the lemming drum of the raven mantra.

31. Joemontanaflacco says: May 6, 2013 5:44 PM

Given his experience with toilets, I’m amazed Big Ben didn’t plead with Pittsburgh to take him in the first round.

32. scoobies05 says: May 6, 2013 6:09 PM

i actually have criticized the ravens on a few calls…most notably rolando. however i have the belief in my team and how it does things…and we have the current trophy to prove it. so you root for your team how you want and i will root for my team how i want.

33. vincentbojackson says: May 6, 2013 7:10 PM

He’ll feel right at home when he catches a whiff of Baltimore for the first time.

34. Joemontanaflacco says: May 6, 2013 10:03 PM

Actually, the only poop in this story is the poop the Steeler fans had to eat after talking smack about how the Ravens and the Elite Joe Flacco would never win a Superbowl.

35. ravensbob says: May 10, 2013 8:50 PM

Ravens spend money. Bungles and sqeelers do not. Ravens are World Champs!!!