Report: Tom Brady wins big at Kentucky Derby

Getty Images

We’ve known for many years that Patriots quarterback Tom Brady has plenty of football skills, but it seems that he’s a pretty good horse racing handicapper as well.

Brady was at the Kentucky Derby in Louisville over the weekend and was caught on video celebrating Orb’s victory with as much excitement as the horse’s owners immediately after the race came to a close. There’s a lot of hugging, back slapping and an appearance by former Patriots Tedy Bruschi, Dan Koppen and Wes Welker as well during a scrum that raised the question of just why Brady was so excited about a win for the Janney and Phipps families.

According to the Boston Herald, it is because Brady had a pretty big win of his own on Saturday. Brady reportedly bet $4,700 on Orb to win the race, a wager that wound up returning $25,000 when he crossed the line before any of the other 18 horses. Brady certainly wasn’t putting his life savings on the line, but that kind of win at the track would certainly explain all the whooping at Churchill Downs.

Three Super Bowl rings, millions of dollars in the bank, a supermodel wife and a nose for winners at the track. When’s something ever going to break right for this Brady fella?

This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!

84 responses to “Report: Tom Brady wins big at Kentucky Derby

1. Somewhere Bridget Moynahan is smiling. She just found out where her child support check is coming from.

2. He won because he had cameras in the stables during warmups. Come on, man! Someone had to say this.

3. $4,700 for him? Thats like one of us putting 20 cents down and backslapping when it comes back we won a dollar.

4. Keep in mind, he really didn’t play much in college and was a draft day flier … so he’s had some struggles.

We don’t read about him in the police blotter, so we should be happy for the guy … HATER!

5. Sure, he has had a good run for several years now. But all we have is the public persona. We don’t know any of the things going on in his life behind the scenes. It might be more difficult than we can ever imagine. And if the public things seem to going well, all I can say is “Good for him. He seems like a good guy.”

6. Evidently the personification of the term, “living a charmed life”. Its why I don’t go to the track. I couldn’t win a $2 “Show” bet on a nag with even odds.

7. I was gonna do the whole “Been a while since you won something” bit but then again cracking on a NFL player/millionaire/sex symbol when my breakfast just consisted of 3 items off the dollar menu wouldn’t look nor feel right.

8. Ican’t wait to see how many ignorant and insulting comments this gets. 😛
    I thought as happy as TB was he must have known the owner personally!
    I wonder if Welker bet? He actually owns a horse named Undrafted and races (in other races, not the Derby I don’t believe).

9. During the season when he doesn’t have Welker anymore and Amendola gets injured. That’s when I think his luck will start running out. Welker made that offense what it was.

10. Yeah, but pocket change for him. That’s like a story about me winning $25 dollars on a scratch ticket.

11. Really? Tom Brady, multimillionaire, married to another multimillionaire, won 25K yesterday, when there was virtually NO risk in his $4700 wager?

It would have been bigger news if you reported that he’d had a Slurpee yesterday.

12. He flew down to the derby in the private jet of Orb’s owners, supposedly, as reported elsewhere. Who was he supposed to bet on?

Plus, I’m sure he had seen practice film of the horses warming up. Because, you know, Brady can’t win anything without cheating.

(Just getting out in front of it.)

13. Something about that picture makes him look both gigantic compared to the other guy and old (he looks 50+ in that hat).

14. The Kentucky Derby is a good good time, even if you’re not Tom Brady. If you haven’t gone yet, it’s definitely a “life list” item. Plus, it’s the offseason, so no interference with my football watching activities.

15. I feel the pain within your name … but couldn’t disagree with you more …

I haven’t been able to get to many games, but been to 2 where the Bills won (of course seen plenty the other way) … Beating Brady couldn’t be sweeter! … rare, but sweet!

——————————–
    @liveandcrywithbills says:
    May 6, 2013 12:36 PM
    I am so jealous of Brady. My Bills will never go anywhere until this master of all trades retires.

16. Hey logical. Before you talk about the Pats cheating ask yourself why the Skins dont have their full cap at their disposal? Seriously people they beat the Rams in the Superbowl and let it go long ago. Every team does something.

17. Sounds like a lot of Brady haters out there.do really think tb dosent work hard on the field to earn his pay.then my friends you never played football .i have my wife @I work hard ever day to earn our keep .I retired in 09 at 47.DON’T HATE THE PLAYER .HATE THE GAME …TRY BEING HAPPY .MAKES THE DAY BETTER FOR ALL.LOL EVERYONE ..

18. As long as he avoids any involvement with events that says NY Giants, he should be fine. Seriously, as a Dolphins fan he has ruined the last 10 years for me, but you can’t hide the fact that this guy is to be admired. He works hard and is a proven winner on and off the field. We are ALL jealous, the difference is for us sane folks is that hating should only come to those that don’t deservethe good fortune. Tom Brady is a true role model, good citizen and a 1st Ballot Hall of Famer. All the power to him.

19. albertmn says:
    May 6, 2013 1:16 PM

____________________________________
    You mean Bill Belichick?

20. Dude hasn’t won a big game since 2003 nice to know he won something that track and hope he retires there soon. The AFC and the patriots belong to Flacco now!

21. Pretty Boy won something in some sport’s biggest game? That hasn’t happened in years!

22. captaineagles says:May 6, 2013 12:45 PM

—————————————
    Untrue. He used to win without Welker. Of course, he and his team had a little extra help, but they did win without Wes. Props where props are due.

23. “dealer009 says:
    May 6, 2013 12:39 PM
    Why even waste your time buying the ticket if you’re that rich?”
    ______________________________

Because gambling is an addiction. He probably bet on the Giants to win in their last 2 Superbowls.

24. This guy has been killing my team for was seems like forever. Still ..you gotta love him just not on sundays.

25. Lets see now, all the little minds in these comment threads killed Amandola for publicizing that he was going to donate to the Boston Bombings charities. So now some little mind is hammering Brady for not donating his winnings to a charity. You can’t win with the haters on these sites. How do you know he did not donate? Just because he didn’t make some public comment about it? I would be willing to bet dollars to donuts that he donates far more than most people would ever guess. He’s a totally class individual, he was brought up in a solid household of a loving family, he never turns up on the police blotters, and he is (queue the haters) a devout Catholic. Donations are part of his upbringing and his life, I am sure.

26. blacknole08 says: May 6, 2013 12:33 PM

So many people hate on Brady because he has everything a guy could want. But he truly is in a class of his own?

Really? He cries and pouts when calls don’t go his way. Poor sport. Fathered a child and abandoned the mother…. yea, great role model.

27. catquick says:
    May 6, 2013 1:08 PM
    He can use the cash for a new hat

——-
    Hey now, maybe he got a free bowl of soup with that hat……

28. navyeoddavee9 says: May 6, 2013 12:37 PM

He’d be a bigger winner, donating his winnings to a worthwhile charity

_____________

This whole internet thing makes it so easy to judge, doesn’t it?

29. Knew there would be alot of stupid comments as soon as it was posted since this is old news to us living in New England.

Especially the comments about him only putting down a $4700 bet. I guess instead he should have bet 1 million $$ or some absurd amount like other athletes like Joey Porter that lose ridiculous somes on money gambling that creates financial hardships on them.

There is an old saying about betting, only bet what you can afford to lose and Brady placed the bet for the fun of it.

Hate on Tom Brady all you want but there is one thing this has proven again, Tom Brady is a winner !!

30. I read the headline and figured this would go over like the time Mr. Burns won that minivan at the Isotopes game and got Whitey Ford knocked unconscious by the barrage of pretzels.

But things are relative tame here.

31. jamaltimore says: May 6, 2013 1:33 PM

—-

Yeah, I guess winning 2 AFC championship games in the last few years is “nothing”.

Ans please the 12th rated QB in the NFL, Jump Ball Joe owns nothing.

Oh how is life will be difficult without Q to bail him out!

32. Nice hat…you think his ugly wife would give him some fashion tips.

33. ‘as a Dolphins fan he has ruined the last 10 years for me, but you can’t hide the fact that this guy is to be admired’
    ————————–

Strange I would say the Dolphins owners and management ruined the last 10 years. The Pats just give them a little helping hand now and again.

34. @liveandcrywithbills says:
    May 6, 2013 12:36 PM

I usually don’t disagree very often with other Bills fans, but I had to with this one. The Bills may have not have had much luck lately against Tom Brady and the Patriots, but I believe we are about to turn the corner on that very soon. Buffalo is just starting to come back together, how the team was during the early 90’s. I may sometimes have trouble hearing now and then, but you can’t miss the sound of the winds of change coming! Go Bills!!!! #BillsMafia #EJ3

35. PS hehateme’

being a disgruntled Dolphins fan whose team may be moving in the not too distant future shouldn’t get in the way of the facts which couldn’t be further from the truth regarding Tom Brady’s breakup with Bridget Moynahan.

I suggest you might want to look into your icon Dan Marino’s marital history and documented philandering with young things which is why his wife of many years divorced him.

36. EJ says: May 6, 2013 2:13 PM

@liveandcrywithbills says:
    May 6, 2013 12:36 PM

I usually don’t disagree very often with other Bills fans, but I had to with this one. The Bills may have not have had much luck lately against Tom Brady and the Patriots, but I believe we are about to turn the corner on that very soon. Buffalo is just starting to come back together, how the team was during the early 90′s. I may sometimes have trouble hearing now and then, but you can’t miss the sound of the winds of change coming! Go Bills!!!! #BillsMafia #EJ3

—-

Oh EJ, you poor poor delusional Bills fan……

#Billsmafiaislame

37. jamaltimore says: May 6, 2013 1:33 PM

=======================

Ravens fans are becoming insufferable lately….

38. He’s gambled on quite a few fillies over the years to mixed results 🙂

I’m sure he felt safe in that ORB wouldn’t make him cut his hair or dress a certain way

39. Wouldn’t that be a more of a blessing if he just gave it out to all the people that tried in this world and want to make this a better place for everyone else? Pay it Forward my brother!

40. Who cares about the race…

Seriously, the bow tie and all the yipping???

He looked like Pee-Wee at an adult movie convention.

41. Good quarterback but it is cruel and inhumane to do this to horses, dogs,etc. NFL players make a decision to play a violent game. horses dogs do not have a choice to be used.

42. Congrats to Tom Brady but picking the favorite, even in a twenty horse field, hardly makes one a good handicapper. What did he do the rest of the day? Did he have any of the gimmicks? I’m sure we would have heard about it if he did. Decidedly unimpressive and much ado about nothing.

43. Glad to see Tom Brady finally catch a break for once in his life. Life’s been a constant struggle for the poor guy.

44. We often forget these guys are just people. I was invited to a Jerod Mayo fundraiser last year by his financial advisor and was standing next to a table of the Patriots kicking team (Gostkowski, Mesko, Adkins) in a private room away from the crowd. Brady came over to talk with them. He does not make eye contact with strangers (like the other players) and positioned himself with his back to us. Most players are not recognized in public but everyone recognizes Brady. He is a private, almost shy, guy. He can’t engage everyone on a personal level. No offense taken by by us, I am just glad he’s our quarterback.

45. gdeli says:
    May 6, 2013 6:05 PM

_________________

Yeah making these beautiful creatures run at full strength for a couple of minutes is a horrible thing for them. They were designed to just stand around with their teeth in their mouths not gallop quickly over the ground. These creatures have better care than 90% of humans. Worry about something that actually matters to humankind.

46. A guy who has hundreds of millions of dollars and gambles clearly doesn’t understand the concept of compound interest.

47. For all the morons saying that Brady “bet on the favorite, big deal”, consider that the favorite has won the Derby exactly FOUR times since 1979. Yeah, that’s a sure thing. Do your homework before you make stupid comments.