Asante Samuel’s clarification regarding gay athletes missed the mark

Asante+Samuel+Portraits+woyUMQVf7TIl Getty Images

Last week, Falcons cornerback Asante Samuel visited with Pat O’Brien and Steve Hartman of FOX Sports Primetime, and Samuel was asked about the then-fresh decision of NBA center Jason Collins to announce that he is gay.

“Straight people are not announcing they’re straight, so why does everybody have to announce their sexuality or whatever?” Samuel said.  “You know, what they prefer.  So, that’s just how I see it.  That’s just my opinion on things.  All respect, you know, I have nothing but respect for the people whoever decisions they make and whatever, but you know, you don’t have to show it and flaunt it like that.  You know what I’m saying?  We got kids out here, too.”

We gave Samuel the benefit of the doubt regarding his reference to children, assuming he simply didn’t want to expose them to any conversations about sexuality:  “While some may interpret Samuel’s remarks as meaning that he doesn’t want kids to be exposed to discussion about homosexuality for fear that they might become gay, his point seems to be that it makes little sense to be having conversations about sex within the confines of sports.”

But then Samuel traveled to Bristol for an appearance on ESPN, and he elaborated on his concerns about children.  (I didn’t realize it had even happened until appearing within the past hour on FOX Sports Primetime and having O’Brien and Hartman mention it.)  The second time around, it sounded a lot more like Samuel’s concern isn’t sexuality but, indeed, homosexuality.

“I don’t want to teach my kids those things,” Samuel said.   “I teach my kids God, how God lives His life.”

The interview was more than a bit awkward and clumsy, with Samuel avoiding any comments on whether he’d welcome an openly gay teammate or how the NFL should deal with the situation when it arises.

“If they pay me to figure it out, I’d do it,” Samuel said.  Asked by host Chris McKendry what he’d do, Samuel said, “I gotta get the check first.”

Translation?  Samuel has no idea what he’d do, because he knows that plenty of guys in the NFL feel the same way he does, which means that there would be plenty of resentment if/when a gay player chooses to (as Samuel put it last week) “flaunt” his sexuality.

And we wonder why no gay NFL player has felt comfortable about acknowledging who he is.

Permalink 80 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Atlanta Falcons, Home, Rumor Mill
80 Responses to “Asante Samuel’s clarification regarding gay athletes missed the mark”
  1. floratiotime says: May 7, 2013 7:11 PM

I think players should hide being jerks. Looking at you Asante.

2. mdpickles says: May 7, 2013 7:11 PM

People make too much of a big deal with Tebow and his God-preaching ways, but when a black athlete preaches God, no one notices or bashes their Christian ways. Why is that?

3. jax9113 says: May 7, 2013 7:12 PM

He’s right about there being no place for a discussion of sexuality. It’s football. It doesn’t matter if you’re gay or straight, what matters is what you bring to the field. A speculation circus surrounding gay players in professional sports is both distracting and unnecessary.

4. thegronk87 says: May 7, 2013 7:13 PM

Asante has no room to say anything. He was the guy who was supposed to cover David Tyree.

5. pkrlvr says: May 7, 2013 7:14 PM

But to play along, if I were to believe in the the idea that some omnipotent all powerful sky genie created us, wouldn’t I also have to believe that that same genie created gays, and was, in turn, cool with them? Because the only way to believe gays are against god is to believe they weren’t created by god, which would be a pretty narrow minded ignorant point of view.

Which of course goes right back to religion…..

6. goldrush36 says: May 7, 2013 7:15 PM

The one subject even more annoying than Tebow

7. nflconspiracytheoristdeluxe says: May 7, 2013 7:16 PM

I don’t think the NFL is quite as “enlightened” and “ready” as upper management, the media, and the Kluwe/Ayanbedejo types would have us believe.

8. melkipershero says: May 7, 2013 7:19 PM

9. Mr. Wright 212 says: May 7, 2013 7:21 PM

How does this “miss the mark” when it’s properly stated? That’s the way it should be. Straight people aren’t announcing they’re straight left and right, why should we be subjected to 174 stories of gay people announcing that they’re gay? No one’s bashing them, and they are free to live their lives as they choose, but we don’t need to hear about it every day.

10. blackandbluedivision says: May 7, 2013 7:21 PM

Don’t flaunt your sexuality. Flaunt your ability. He’s right, no one else is flaunting their sexuality.

Jackie Robinson isn’t a hero because he was a black person who played baseball.

He was a hero because he was a baseball player who happened to be black.

Let your on the field work shine more than your sexuality and no one will care.

You’re not going to harass a gay QB who just won MVP and lead you to the Super Bowl. He’s going to get more credit for being a beast than he will for being gay.

Now whether it is Christian is up to him and how he was raised. There’s a reason why there are a number of different Christians and different churches. They have different ideologies on certain things and they’re entitled to that. You can’t bash a man for being Christian and claim equal rights, then turn around a get mad when someone bashes you for being gay. You look like a hypocrite.

11. tfbuckfutter says: May 7, 2013 7:23 PM

Asante got married sometime in 2012.

So wouldn’t his kids, obviously born in wedlock as God intends, be too young to learn about living life how God wants?

And damn, they must be quadruplets to boot.

12. blackandbluedivision says: May 7, 2013 7:24 PM

pkrlvr says:
    May 7, 2013 7:14 PM
    __________________________________

I stopped reading right there. Yea, how about no. The belief and lack thereof has defined a lot of people’s lives. Whether you believe in God or not. It’s still a strong impact on your life.

13. biggsdarklighter says: May 7, 2013 7:26 PM

How about not posting articles where you’re saying that someone else’s opinion is wrong. You’re doing exactly what you’re saying is wrong. Plus, this is an amazing football article!! Sike.

14. whatjusthapped says: May 7, 2013 7:29 PM

15. bmoreravens1012013 says: May 7, 2013 7:31 PM

I appreciate when athletes speak their mind whether I agree or not. The media and even some fans are so hypocritical. On one hand they want athletes to speak out for a quick soundbite , but yet when the say something that they don’t like or agree, the athlete needs to just shut up. I hope more athletes speak their mind as long as its not hateful. If its stupid or ignorant then that’s on them, fair game…..but let’s not put a muzzle on every opinion just because some may disagree. In my opinion, sports and society as a whole is a bit too p.c. already. That’s the main reason most people like to watch sports in general, because its a getaway from the rigors of life ,and also it’s the one true place to go for true “Reality T.V.”

16. xxwhodatxx says: May 7, 2013 7:36 PM

This is really getting old. When a player wants to come out,he will and when that happens fine. But asking every athlete hypothetical questions hoping they say the “wrong” thing so you can crucify him is just despicable.

17. nmking26 says: May 7, 2013 7:36 PM

I’m 100% sure the media cares more about gay players on rosters than the actual players in the locker room do.

It’s pathetic.

18. prideof10000lakes says: May 7, 2013 7:40 PM

Basically Asante, what were trying to say is, it is okay to speak your mind as long as you are coming out of the closet. Otherwise just keep it in the closet, there’s no room for Christianity in the nfl.

Espn sucks.

19. nagaswan says: May 7, 2013 7:44 PM

Wait, there are ignorant people in the NFL who make bad decisions that hurt people?

20. nagaswan says: May 7, 2013 7:46 PM

re: prideof10000lakes

So what your saying is you are intolerant of people who are intolerant of intolerance.

21. petedutcher says: May 7, 2013 7:46 PM

Why is it that half my posts never show???

22. thesteelers says: May 7, 2013 7:46 PM

“I teach my kids God, how God lives His life.”
    ___________________________________

How insightful of you to know such wisdom. How did you acquire such information? From a book written 2000 years ago by mere men?

It’s 2013, people, where is the rationale?

23. djred34 says: May 7, 2013 7:47 PM

I’m with Asante why praise someone’s sexuality. And people were mad how much Tebow flaunted his religion. Smh

24. nagaswan says: May 7, 2013 7:47 PM

A reminder to all the bigots. There is no hell except what we make on earth. Deal with it.

25. petedutcher says: May 7, 2013 7:48 PM

Asante Samuel is right. Kids do watch and read this stuff. I don’t want mine learning anything about sexual orientation until I feel they are ready.

26. giantsfanlewis says: May 7, 2013 7:49 PM

Pkrlvr

You forgot to mention the people who god created who are murderers, rapists, child molesters and so on. God gave us the ability to choose. He gave us his rules to live by and if we chose to sin we are punished. That’s just how it is. Btw think of how narrow minded you are sounding critiquing Christians for hating others while you are bashing and spitting on their religion. Your being a bigot funny enough. Maybe you should open your mind before speaking

27. petedutcher says: May 7, 2013 7:51 PM

pkrlvr says: May 7, 2013 7:14 PM

“Just another example of how religion divides people. We’d all be better off without it.”

So you would hinder the right for people to choose religion? Hypocrisy at its best.

28. mediasloppy says: May 7, 2013 7:57 PM

This is the question I have to ask. If no one has come out as gay in sports except Collins recently, why is everyone always saying gays are flaunting in the locker room? Their are NO GAYS flaunting anywhere in the NFL. Which goes to show you how the minds of ignorance work and how deep stereotypes are seeded by institutions.

29. fearthehoody says: May 7, 2013 7:59 PM

Attacking someone’s faith is an easy target for the incompetent masses. Your so called “Knowledge” of Christianity is so far off, I could try to explain, but a football message board is not the place.

30. gbpackman says: May 7, 2013 8:00 PM

He has just as much right to his opinion as everybody else.

31. tfbuckfutter says: May 7, 2013 8:01 PM

blackandbluedivision says: May 7, 2013 7:21 PM

———————————-

Umm….religion is a choice, sexual orientation is not.

A better comparison would be to use race or nationality or height or eye color instead of religion….but you know….that doesn’t fit your point.

32. Mr. Wright 212 says: May 7, 2013 8:02 PM

tfbuckfutter says: May 7, 2013 7:23 PM

Asante got married sometime in 2012.

And damn, they must be quadruplets to boot.
    —————

Nice of you to point out something COMPLETELY irrelevant to the discussion.

33. fightingfloriosleftistagenda says: May 7, 2013 8:08 PM

Why is tolerance only preached by those intolerant of others views? I do not believe that sexuality has any place in sports. Nor do I believe that any man has the right to judge another. What irks me is the unwillingness of the leftist media to allow people that disagree with them to have their views acknowledged as mainstream. By reading your blog posts over the last few months you wold have people believe that half the NFL is gay. More likely it is nearer the 2-3% range that the rest of the population has. I won’t say just keep it to sports but lets get past the eventuality of a gay player in the NFL and wait for it to happen.

34. bearnation90 says: May 7, 2013 8:08 PM

Good for you Asante. Speak your mind. I am not against anyone who is gay. They can live their lives as they please. We should not judge because we are not in their shoes, paying their bills or living their lives. With that being said, I don’t understand why anyone has to come out and say “I am gay” just because they play sports. It’s not like any of my co-workers come out and say “Hey, i just won a case in court….and i’m gay” or “Man..that heart surgery i just performed was pretty difficult, but i’m gay”.
    Leave the subject out of the work place. Just like politics, it can rub some people the wrong way. And it may even make some people feel uncomfortable.

35. tfbuckfutter says: May 7, 2013 8:09 PM

I hope Asante doesn’t know his uniform is made from mixed fibers.

He’s going to FREAK OUT when he finds out he is violating God’s specific edict.

36. tfbuckfutter says: May 7, 2013 8:15 PM

Mr. Wright 212 says: May 7, 2013 8:02 PM

tfbuckfutter says: May 7, 2013 7:23 PM

Asante got married sometime in 2012.

And damn, they must be quadruplets to boot.
    —————

Nice of you to point out something COMPLETELY irrelevant to the discussion.

————————–

Are you SERIOUS?

His hypocrisy, hiding behind religion while openly defying the parts of God’s rules that he doesn’t like isn’t germane?

Okie doke.

37. lance19 says: May 7, 2013 8:16 PM

“…how God lives His life…”

What? Wait…God…is living a life that we can
    know, understand & model our own on?

Is Asante Samuel so religious that he
    knows what God is up to, as the rest of us
    wonder…?

38. nosmak40 says: May 7, 2013 8:23 PM

Gee, I remember when PFT use to be about football…..yawn..

39. tnt66 says: May 7, 2013 8:27 PM

Christians don’t claim they don’t sin and sometimes make changes. The difference is actively advocating for such behavior

40. thesloppy says: May 7, 2013 8:33 PM

Why does everybody have to announce their faith? You know, what they prefer. So, that’s just how I see it. That’s just my opinion on things. All respect, you know, I have nothing but respect for the people whoever decisions they make and whatever, but you know, you don’t have to show it and flaunt it like that. You know what I’m saying? We got kids out here, too.

41. pkrlvr says: May 7, 2013 8:41 PM

__________________________________

Stating an opinion is not hypocrisy, might want to learn the definition of the word. Religion has cost more lives and divided more people than any other force in the world. That’s a fact. Please explain where I am being hypocritical? Just because you don’t like what I have to say doesn’t make me a hypocrite. It might make you one though…..

42. ruddyboy says: May 7, 2013 8:41 PM

I completely agree with Asante, there is no need to broadcast a person sexuality no matter what job you are doing. That has NOTHING to do with their profession.
    Society as a whole is getting way to accepting of these practices anyway. When life was created no… matter your beliefs, there was never the intention to have any species of the same sex to be together. If there was that intention, why is it that those same sex partners cannot reproduce? Wouldn’t it be totally be possible if that is what the high almighty being (of any belief) would have wanted. Probably not, but us as a society deemed it all of a sudden that is perfectly acceptable. I, personally do not care what people do, I just do not want it shoved down our throats, in our TV programs, our magazines, and any other media source. And now in our sports!!
    We all accept this like it is perfectly okay because it is in their DNA, I say hogwash, what next, are we going to say child molesters are okay to since obviously their DNA is altered also. WHEN DOES IT STOP????
    Just entertain us, I do not care what sex you prefer!!!

43. paulitik74 says: May 7, 2013 8:43 PM

I’m a huge Falcons fan, but I couldn’t disagree with Asante more. Being open about your sexuality and talking about a sex act are 2 different things. The only thing he would have to explain to his children is that Mr. Collins like men like daddy likes mommy. Straight people are afforded the luxury of not having to announce their persuasion because its assumed.

I don’t know if all of Asante’s children are from the same mother, or if they were born in wedlock, and I don’t care, but if thats the case and he’s trying to defend his position from a biblical perspective, he’s a huge hypocrite.

44. noring4youstill says: May 7, 2013 8:43 PM

It’s a sin

45. pkrlvr says: May 7, 2013 8:45 PM

It seems to me that many of the posters here are under the mistaken belief that being gay is a choice!?!? I hope that is not the case but like another poster said, religion is a choice, sexual orientation is not.

46. therolandobottom says: May 7, 2013 8:46 PM

Tebow loves God and is ridiculed. Collins loves men and is praised. Priorities a little mixed up these days?

47. hisandherpes says: May 7, 2013 8:53 PM

Asante would have a point if not for the fact that Collins is the first American male big-four sport athlete to come out of the closet. I wasn’t a math major but I’m fairly certain 1 person ever does not = “everybody.”

48. prideof10000lakes says: May 7, 2013 8:53 PM

nagaswan says:
    May 7, 2013 7:46 PM
    re: prideof10000lakes

——–

I’m not sure, I was partially being sarcastic. I just think that the bigger of a deal we make out of the whole gay topic, the more separation it creates. I don’t scream I’m straight and I don’t expect anybody to scream I’m gay. If you are (not sayin you in particular but hypothetically) that’s great; be the gayest gay you can be.

Except for the ESPN sucking thing, that’s all seriousness.

49. monkeyhateclean says: May 7, 2013 8:56 PM

blackandbluedivision says: May 7, 2013 7:21 PM

Jackie Robinson isn’t a hero because he was a black person who played baseball.

He was a hero because he was a baseball player who happened to be black.

______________________

The fact that Jackie Robinson “happened to be black” is not why he is remembered and revered. Its because a black man playing in the majors was unconscionable in the era he played in. Yet, he had the skill, courage, and determination to challenge societal ignorance and intolerance.

In his case, it was based on the pigmentation of his skin, which he could not disguise. While its easier for gay athletes to disguise their true selves, why should they?

In no small part, its due to the ignorant comments Samuel made here, suggesting that kids would be corrupted if they were aware gay athletes existed. Or might “catch the gay” by somehow rooting for a gay player. Or might violate a particular religion’s ethos.

While patently absurd, its not that different from the ignorance and intolerance #42 faced.

50. Uncle Charlie says: May 7, 2013 9:01 PM

“There is absolutely nothing wrong with what he said but the liberal bias in the media wouldn’t stand for a single opinion that is outside of their own view of the world. So if you aren’t singing off their song sheet, you are duly forwarned that they will slam you unmercifully.”

I know, thank you so much all of you conservatives for telling us what “Gawwwd Thanks” and teaching intolerance to your children so we can continue to have social inequality. It’s fun to watch you be misled by false dichotomies. But such is the conservative condition.

51. therealtrenches says: May 7, 2013 9:05 PM

LOL @ everyone who was applauding this ignoramus last week.

52. philly4lyfe says: May 7, 2013 9:09 PM

I really hate all these athletes constantly flaunting their religious beliefs. if that’s what works for you then that’s cool, nothin but respect, but why do you feel the need to announce it to everyone else?

53. sadskinsfan89 says: May 7, 2013 9:11 PM

@pkrlvr Life is a choice. You may CHOOSE to end it whenever you want. That my friend is a choice

54. thatswhatimsayin says: May 7, 2013 9:19 PM

pkrlvr says:
    May 7, 2013 8:45 PM
    ————————————————————
    Actually the jury is still out on evidence of that.

I know I know the retort. Why in the world would i chooooooooose to be gay. You know and bring all of that public humility on myself?

My answer to that is: Are Packer fans born that way?

This is still a football forum isn’t it?

55. questforthesixthnotthelast2013 says: May 7, 2013 9:19 PM

Asante Samual is right though, its football, a game children watch, what does sex have to do with it???
    They are fully clothed men, not naked jumping around and landing on each other….

56. thenew013 says: May 7, 2013 9:20 PM

i have to agree with asante on this one.

57. cardinalsfan87 says: May 7, 2013 9:21 PM

It’s a free country he can be against gays all he wants. He is allowed to voice his opinion.

58. egomaniac247 says: May 7, 2013 9:22 PM

Whatever happens, I just want Asante to OWN IT.

Don’t issue a PR Dept written apology tomorrow that you don’t really mean.

Stand by your words. There’s nothing wrong with them. You obviously feel that way. Don’t fake-apologize.

If you say it and believe it, own it.

59. purplepunisher says: May 7, 2013 9:22 PM

Very proud of Asante for not being afraid to stand up for the common man that beleives in god. This country values continue to decline as does the country as a whole.

60. brintfatre says: May 7, 2013 9:35 PM

All the gay people should be given jobs in the news media. And all the straight people should just stop watching… oh wait, that’s already happening.

61. erckle31 says: May 7, 2013 9:35 PM

The majority of these commenters are so conservative its not even funny.

62. patssox says: May 7, 2013 9:43 PM

Hey everyone, I’m straight.

Why that’s so important I’m not quite sure.

63. bagadeez04 says: May 7, 2013 9:44 PM

I’m straight!!! Everyone look at me!!!! Yay I’m so brave ahhh look at me!!!! I’m coming out as a straight look!!!!

64. genericcommenter says: May 7, 2013 9:48 PM

I saw him being interviewed and I thought it was awkward and I didn’t like the way ESPN seemed to be baiting him into saying something controversial, and he really wasn’t going out of his way to say anything to offend anyone. It was just painful to watch. He’s not a politician, and he’s not a Chris Kluwe-type guy going to the media to present an issue.

For what it’s worth, I’m on the same side of the issue as guys like Kluwe, so I’m not trying to go out of my way to praise Samuel or prop-up the Tebow vs. Collins false narrative or anything like that.

I just thought what ESPN did was low-class and to beat-up on some of these players, who are not that articulate and are obviously not some hateful dudes, is wrong. He’s not running for office, and he’s not Pat Robertson going on tv trying to say crazy stuff.

65. thundersnacker says: May 7, 2013 10:18 PM

thesloppy says: May 7, 2013 8:33 PM

———————————————————
    Best Response.

66. Deb says: May 7, 2013 10:19 PM

pkrlvr says:

————————————————–

I’m a practicing Christian, but while listening to John Lennon’s Imagine earlier this evening was pondering whether we’d have peace if there were “no religion, too.” I doubt it. Love the song, but both you and the lyric underestimate human nature. If not religion, mankind would find something else to fight about. Even battles over trivial football rivalries have been as bitter–and as deadly–as the Crusades. Perhaps not “religion,” but faith has also united, sheltered, harbored, fed, clothed, and comforted. It may not be your thing, but your comments about believers are as ignorant as Samuel’s comments about gays.

67. gerard33 says: May 7, 2013 10:50 PM

He teaches his kids “how God lives His life”? … what a moron. Kinda gives black Christians a bad name, in my opinion

68. smartman415 says: May 7, 2013 10:54 PM

I agree with Asante, the NFL and other major sports should implement the “don’t ask don’t tell policy” this could save them a lot of legal trouble when some one “comes out” then they claims they got “verbally harassed” or cut by a team for it….to bad liberals think more about the minority then the majority

69. johnnytarr says: May 7, 2013 10:56 PM

pkrlvr says:
    May 7, 2013 8:45 PM

====================================
    Where is the proof either way? Years back they said they could tell before birth if a child was gay & then they took it all back when that “proof” was used to abort babies. (and I’m not for that before some idiot starts asking that question).
    I have no idea if it is from birth or not, but why are there identical twins where only one is gay?
    Can anyone figure out Anne Heche?

70. fbwhitedc says: May 7, 2013 10:59 PM

Being a former athlete who has played with a gay teammate in college, I have nothing against having a gay teammate. He didn’t have to come out for it to be known that he was gay. He was our teammate and he did his job well. Helped us win many games and played his part as we all did.
    With that being said, I have an issue with the constant comparison of athletes coming out and Jackie Robinson breaking the color barrier in MLB. The fact of the matter is that upon visual contact of Mr. Robinson you can tell he is black. Please tell when you can look at an athlete tell me that he or she is gay.
    I have not yet seen one gay athlete or gay person for that matter get sprayed with a water hose for being gay. Or attacked by dogs, beaten by police, turned away at the lunch counter, have to sit in the back of the bus our have their church blow up because of what they are! Please stop this comparison because it fits not work in this case.
    As for my former teammate who so happened to be gay, we treat him no different than we did when we played together. He is and always will be our teammate.

71. mediasloppy says: May 7, 2013 11:09 PM

Good for you Asante for speaking your mind…

Good for you Kluwe Speaking your mind….

This place is so full of hypocrites for whatever side you happen to be on.

I’m not posting in another gay article, because it’s pointless and frustrating.

72. wohtonamaton says: May 7, 2013 11:19 PM

The huge difference is that Asante Samuel gets to flaunt being straight everyday just by living his life. If he has a women on each arm at a club its no big deal, its what athletes do. But if any gay player was caught out in public with a significant other it would be a huge fiasco if he/she hadn’t announced it to the world. It sucks but its just the world we live in right now.

73. drgreenstreak says: May 7, 2013 11:44 PM

I know my family values rely on role models like Asante Samuel because he is such a fine and decent man with a good education and a very articulate manner of expression.

74. dretwann says: May 7, 2013 11:56 PM

PFT and all of NBC Sports have an agenda as do media in general. It is a tatic as old as time. The idea is to flood you with gay oriented material and information, that it becomes the new norm for everyone. Clearly this has to be the case because everyday there is at least one article. There is no rational reason for it, but they do it anyway. It is tiresome and that, I believe, is what they are banking on., you getting tired of resisting and giving in to the new norm. Why else have a story everyday about gays in sports?!

Lastly, I find it hilarious to read comments from atheists denouncing religion, especially Christianity. Atheists read the text but lack understanding and then propose to lecture you on hypocrisy. It is waste of energy to engage them and truly we are advised not to. The understanding of scripture requires faith which they don’t have by choice. You can pull anything out of context and waive it around as some evidence of contradiction, but it doesn’t make it so.

75. anarchopurplism says: May 8, 2013 12:07 AM

I’m tired of liberals telling people what to think. Absolutely sick of their blatant intolerance. Hypocrisy run amok.

76. j4man1 says: May 8, 2013 12:29 AM

Way to go Asante, you just gained some respect from me!

77. styx630 says: May 8, 2013 12:52 AM

Whole lot of ignorance up in here.

78. baseballstars says: May 8, 2013 12:52 AM

I’m almost hesitant to comment, because I don’t agree with Asante. Plus, Asante, considering the number of teammates you’ve had over the years, statistically speaking, you’ve had a gay teammate. Get over it.

At the same time, if we’re going to keep dropping “but they’re born that way!” argument, why the one way street? Maybe the people like Asante were born that way as well.

I’ll be glad when this is a non-issue and gay athletes can be viewed based on the merits of their prowess, not based on what they do in private with consenting adults.

79. phillytj says: May 8, 2013 6:50 AM

“The media is absolutely driving this gay thing down our throats. I dont care either way and good for Jason Collins coming out. I just dont need a daily gay article.”

AMEN brother!

80. CKL says: May 8, 2013 9:48 AM

You know, it’s funny ESPN tries so hard to court controversy like this and other topics when they kowtowed to the NFL in deleting their show “Playmakers” from the air because it outlined controversial topics such as a gay players, domestic violence, and evading drug tests and the NFL didn’t like it. I lost a lot of respect for them after that. And it sure made me question the NFL also. Why so sensitive if it was mere fiction, NFL? And why trumpet all your tolerance for everything now when you sure didn’t want any tv show having fictional topics about a gay player and other highly charged situations that anyone with half a brain knows actually happen in the NFL?