When John Elway sees Montee Ball, he thinks of Terrell Davis

John Elway, John Fox, Montee Ball AP

When Broncos V.P. John Elway was Broncos QB John Elway, the team’s greatest success came at the end of his career, when he had one of the NFL’s best running backs, Terrell Davis, to carry a large part of the load.

Now Elway hopes the running back he drafted last month, Montee Ball, can have a similar effect.

His running style was a lot like Terrell Davis,” Elway said of Ball during a conference call with fans, via the Denver Post. “We hope that Montee has a career and even a longer career than Terrell had.”

Davis was MVP of the league in 1998 and helped the Broncos win back-to-back Super Bowls, but he had only four effective seasons before injuries ruined a promising career. The Broncos say it was a desire not to have an injured back that led them to draft Ball over Alabama’s Eddie Lacy.

“We liked both these backs, we had them very similar on the board,” Broncos personnel man Matt Russell said. “The issue with Eddie Lacy was we were worried about a toe injury that he had which is probably what caused him to slip. And we really felt great about Montee Ball. We feel we have a career back in Montee Ball.”

If Ball has the kind of instant impact that Davis had, Peyton Manning may end his career in Denver as successfully as Elway did.

Permalink 57 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Denver Broncos, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
57 Responses to “When John Elway sees Montee Ball, he thinks of Terrell Davis”
  1. melkipershero says: May 7, 2013 8:27 PM

When I see Elway I see a horse

2. taintedsaints2009 says: May 7, 2013 8:34 PM

better than saying he looks like maruice clarrett.

3. @Cereal_22 says: May 7, 2013 8:37 PM

Gotta hand it to them this was a great pick. Ball reminds me of Ray Rice

4. kagey7 says: May 7, 2013 8:38 PM

When I see Elway I see a horse too. A Bronco. And this Broncofan is extremely proud to have watched him his entire career. Not too many players these days start and end a 16+ year career with the same team. I’m greatful for having witnessed it.

5. benjua18 says: May 7, 2013 8:41 PM

his eyes must be going. consider it a success if he’s cedric benson.

6. trevor123698 says: May 7, 2013 8:42 PM

he’ll be a scrub

7. jrebar88 says: May 7, 2013 8:42 PM

Terrell Davis is a Hall of Fame running back. Its a shame he isnt in there. Name a running back that had a better playoff career than him. You can’t. Dominated the league until he was injured.

8. yssupasigninnamnotyep says: May 7, 2013 8:44 PM

Oh yeah kagey7…what a great guy. Blows off the team that drafted him, he’s a traitor just like MegaHead. Gonna love seeing Ball miss a protection and get ole one-and-done killed. By the way, learn how to spell grateful.

9. ozymandias121 says: May 7, 2013 8:45 PM

When I see Montee Ball, I see Kevin Barlow.

10. yssupasigninnamnotyep says: May 7, 2013 8:45 PM

Davis is not a hall of fame back…didn’t last long enough. He doesn’t belong, just like Floyd Little doesn’t belong…that was a farce.

11. jets13 says: May 7, 2013 8:48 PM

Comparisons like that make my head hurt.

12. 619sdfan4life says: May 7, 2013 8:48 PM

And when Mike mcCarthy sees eddy lacy he sees Dorsey Levens . So on and so on. Blah blah blah

13. profootballwalk says: May 7, 2013 8:48 PM

Maybe Ball can carry Manning on his back to the Super Bowl like Davis carried the over-rated Elway.

14. jjb0811 says: May 7, 2013 8:54 PM

should have traded a mid round pick for a proven MJD, then used the 2nd elsewhere.

15. greyhawk9 says: May 7, 2013 8:59 PM

I’ve always wondered how they get that horse to talk.

16. seoulslayer says: May 7, 2013 8:59 PM

jrebar88 says:
    May 7, 2013 8:42 PM

————

I loved the guy and without him Denver probably doesn’t win those 2 SBs, but he had way too short a career. If you want to talk about the real Bronco snub, no doubt it’s Atwater.

17. ncm42 says: May 7, 2013 9:02 PM

To the guy with the long nonsensical name, check career playoff stats for RBs, then get back to whether TD belongs in the Hall…

18. whitecastleisafoodgroup says: May 7, 2013 9:02 PM

Broncos will not get past the AFC Championship and certainly never beat anyone from the NFC West in the Super Bowl. I say that as an NFC Northerner.

19. questforthesixthnotthelast2013 says: May 7, 2013 9:16 PM

Peyton Manning won’t make it to the playoffs without a run game that T.D. brought, we saw how he under threw his reciever in his last playoff game, if he was capable Jim Harbaugh would have signed him after his work out, unless it was the money part and then well, he got his money didn’t he??
    Good luck, now you have Smith in K.C. it will be interesting how those two games go!!

20. rdav29 says: May 7, 2013 9:19 PM

So wait, with Lance Ball and Montee Ball, the Broncos now have two Balls at RB???

21. brewcrewfan54 says: May 7, 2013 9:20 PM

Atwater, man that guy could lay the wood to people. As a Montee Ball fan I hope John’s right except when they play the Packers.

22. thenew013 says: May 7, 2013 9:24 PM

wow. talk about pressure and high expectations. good luck monte.

23. silverhornet says: May 7, 2013 9:25 PM

I think Curtis Martin is a perfect comparison, same # too., well from college anyway.

24. pacificnw7722 says: May 7, 2013 9:28 PM

When I look at that picture of Ball I see Steve Urkel……

25. mrsryansfamoustoejam says: May 7, 2013 9:39 PM

Apparently, whenever Elway sees any football player, he also thinks of doughnuts.

26. jimmysee says: May 7, 2013 9:42 PM

Wish nothing but the best for Montee Ball — but he has a lot of Big 10 miles on those legs.

27. bowmanj35 says: May 7, 2013 10:03 PM

As a packers fan that watched those years when Davis was a beast, from what I’ve seen from Ball in college the comparison sucks. Ball was a good runner but IMO Davis was amazing and would have gone down as an all time great had he not blown his ACL during that tackle.

28. thegronk87 says: May 7, 2013 10:07 PM

Ah terell davis, the man who got elway his rings….

29. yahmule says: May 7, 2013 10:19 PM

They both belong, as do Randy Gradishar and Louis Wright.

30. drunkenpackblogger says: May 7, 2013 10:20 PM

When I see Eddie Lacy I think of Terrell Davis.

31. shaggytoodle says: May 7, 2013 10:35 PM

I really wish Ball the best, he was fun to watch @ Wis. and helped them get to 3 Rose Bowls.

I worry about his size, and I also worry about his ability to take the ball off tackle. The difference between college and pro’s is huge.

It had big effect on Reggie Bush, when all of a sudden he was trying to get the corner on guys like Lewis, Willis and Matthews. I am worried it will hurt Ball as well. I do believe that Denver’s O-Line will help him a bunch, as well as playing with Manning.

32. stevent92 says: May 7, 2013 10:42 PM

When I see Montee Ball, I see another in a long line of failed Wisconsin RB that will flounder out of the NFL in 3-4 years.

33. tdshouldbeinthehall says: May 7, 2013 10:44 PM

There is no doubt TD should be in the Hall, I don’t care how long he played. 2 SB , a league MVP, a SB MVP, a 2000 yd season, and the best 3 year rushing total of all time. What he did in four years is more impressive than most the RB in the Hall. It’s not like he just fell off, he ripped his knee up and couldn’t come back. It’s a shame that he will not get in but the average RB that stays healthy for 12 years and has a mediocre career can.

34. acanniv says: May 7, 2013 10:50 PM

“Blows off the team that drafted him, he’s a traitor”

I think what you meant to say was “exercised his right as an American citizen without a binding contract to seek employment elsewhere.”

Also, you can’t be a traitor if you were never loyal to a cause, smart guy.

35. gloryfromheaven says: May 7, 2013 10:50 PM

Geez a lot of Bronco haters in here. And how the f*** does Elway look like a damn horse? I own 4 horses and Elway doesn’t even remotely look like one, you people need to get out more.

36. lakermetskins says: May 7, 2013 11:00 PM

Bronco rb’s always seem to get injured and can’t finish the season.

Unless it’s that scrub Lance Ball of course.

37. thirdistheworrd says: May 7, 2013 11:04 PM

When I see John Elway, I think of Gary Busey.

38. metalhead65 says: May 7, 2013 11:05 PM

unless the broncos start playing defenses that tackle like IU did in the big 10 then that is stretching it big time. he will be lucky to be a third down back in the NFL. just another overrated badger coming out of college who looked good because his coach loved to run the score up on the weak teams in they played.

39. dietrich43 says: May 7, 2013 11:07 PM

I think John suffered too many concussions.

Can Elway join a class action suit as a player to sue himself as an Owner?

40. biggestredmiami says: May 7, 2013 11:21 PM

Call me crazy, but when I see Montee Ball, I see Montee Ball.

41. dwatkins69 says: May 7, 2013 11:37 PM

Yeah, Davis did it all on his own. That line that kept churning out yards with any RB they put back there. That was the key

42. skinsfanwill says: May 8, 2013 12:12 AM

Montee Ball had concussion issues in college. I’d take the toe injury over my running back being concussed regularly. See Detroit RB Best for comparisons.

43. buckybadger says: May 8, 2013 1:32 AM

I have doubted Elway every step of the way outside of signing Manning and he has been right. Here again I think the same thing but as a Badger fan I hope Ball the best. I think he is a bit slow to say he is TD but I hope he has a great career.

44. Savage Lizard says: May 8, 2013 2:38 AM

My fondest dream is to see Elway draft some snot nosed punk who tells him that he doesn’t want to play for the Broncos. That would be awesome!

45. armadalolz says: May 8, 2013 2:49 AM

You’re “grateful”, and I’m glad you took the care not to say the team that drafted him. You know, the one he refused to play for because that’s the kind of guy he is.

46. competitivecompetitioncompeter says: May 8, 2013 4:24 AM

Wow. That makes as much sense as Kubiak saying DeAndre Hopkins (small fast 1st rounder) reminds him of Rod Smith (big slow undrafted).

Yes, John Elway, your new RB reminds you of the only good RB you ever played with. Hope you didn’t blow your last brain cell coming up with that one. By the way, Terrel Davis was a 6th rounder, so if Montee Ball reminds you of him I guess you reached by about 4 rounds.

47. blutbaddenbill says: May 8, 2013 7:29 AM

Dementia must be setting in on mister ed,aye Wilbur?

48. joetoronto says: May 8, 2013 7:29 AM

“We hope that Montee has a career and even a longer career than Terrell had.” Horse face said

Oh, that’ll be hard, SMH.

49. toonloonboon says: May 8, 2013 7:34 AM

what do john elway and eli manning have in common? nope, not two super bowl titles each.

they are both runaway brides.

50. tsecor says: May 8, 2013 7:55 AM

Ball is the key to Mannings success in Denver? Really??

51. buffalomafia says: May 8, 2013 9:14 AM

Great pick!

52. rubicon202 says: May 8, 2013 9:37 AM

Getting a little ahead of the show. Never compare up and coming players to past dominant players like TD (oh, how I hated him) because you now have just added a layer of expectation, never; besides its bad luck.

53. vaphinfan says: May 8, 2013 9:42 AM

Is he referring to the Davis that helped him avoid losing his 4th straight Super Bowl after he went for 123 yards passing 1 pic o tds?

54. raiderlyfe510 says: May 8, 2013 10:00 AM

That’s all good, but unless Elway has someone that reminds him of Alex Gibbs Jr it won’t matter. Terrell Davis would have been a scrub without Alex Gibbs Jr.

55. chi01town says: May 8, 2013 10:21 AM

Elway was stabbing Tebow in the back while Tebow was WINNING PLAYOFF GAMES now why would anything Elway thinks matter to anyone? Elway cant be trusted.

56. Nickstixx says: May 8, 2013 11:30 AM

All of you uneducated fools on here… take like 5 minutes and actually do some research. Montee Ball and Terrell Davis are essentially the same exact size when they came out of college. They both ran similar times in the 40 at the combine. Then we all know Ball ran a faster 40 at his pro day. They both use the one cut and up the field style of running.
    So it is not really a stretch of the imagination at all to say they are similar and actually remind Elway of each other.
    For the dude that said if Montee really reminded you of Terrell then you reached 4 rounds to pick him…. you’re dumb. If all the teams could go back and re-do that draft he would be a top 5 pick easily.
    Oh yeah… and be like every hater and say “Elway looks like a horse.” that’s original. Clowns.

57. dcbronco says: May 8, 2013 7:27 PM

I think Ball is a little more shifty than Davis. But I see similarities in his ability to break arm tackles and use of the spin move. But the thing about Davis that made him special was that he is a zone-blocking system guy. He wouldn’t have been the same guy in the current system. Draw plays suck unless you have a scat-back. So unless Elway plans to fire Fox and replaces him with a coach that knows Bronco football, Broncos fans should continue to expect another average year running the ball. The real rushing yards came from zone-blocking in Denver when they were running a mixture of styles. Once Fox scrapped ZB all together, the running game stunk.