Agent says Armonty Bryant’s “remorseful” about DUI

Armonty Bryant AP

The agent for Browns rookie defensive end Armonty Bryant said his client was “remorseful,” after pleading no contest to a recent DUI charge, the kind of trouble he said he was going to avoid after a college arrest for selling marijuana twice to an undercover agent.

Now, he plans to show up for the Browns’ rookie minicamp this weekend, hoping he’s still welcome.

“We’re going on the premise that he’ll be accepted at rookie camp and that it’s all systems go,” agent Marc Lillibridge told Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer. “We haven’t heard otherwise. Armonty knows the Browns are upset about this, and they should be. But he’s determined to move forward and have a tremendous career with the Cleveland Browns.”

With his plea on the DUI arrest, Bryant got what amounts to probation from the state of Oklahoma, though it doesn’t violate the terms of the probation he was on for the drug charge.

“Armonty made a mistake and he’s very remorseful,” Lillibridge said. “He was very distraught and felt he let a lot of people down, especially the Cleveland Browns. He was adamant about getting ahold of [general manager] Mike Lombardi and making sure the Browns heard it from him. . . .

“He told me, ‘I’m getting XBox Live and I’m not leaving the house,’. He said, ‘having a few beers is not worth giving up my football career.’”

Probably not.

But a self-imposed house-arrest with a video game probably isn’t the first step toward a productive career in the NFL either.

The thing Bryant’s agent is hoping for — so he gets 3 percent of something instead of 3 percent of nothing — is that the Browns insulate Bryant and offer the kind of support the defensive end apparently hasn’t had.

“As long as they surround him with a strong supporting cast, Armonty will be fine,” Lillibridge said. “He’s really a great kid who wants to do the right thing. Hopefully he’ll be telling his story in eight years, how he got out to rough start and overcame it and had a great career.”

Now it’s largely up to the Browns, and to what degree they’re willing to babysit a seventh-rounder who embarrassed them before he even showed up to work.

Permalink 23 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Home, Rumor Mill
23 Responses to “Agent says Armonty Bryant’s “remorseful” about DUI”
  1. enochmh2 says: May 8, 2013 1:19 PM

Geno you should hire this guy

2. jpb12 says: May 8, 2013 1:20 PM

Nice that he’s in Browns’ orange.

3. pathsovglory says: May 8, 2013 1:24 PM

He’s only sorry he got caught.

4. anthonymtx says: May 8, 2013 1:26 PM

How can someone be remorseful when they plead “no contest” instead of “guilty” like a real man? I know that they are on paper one in the same, but it’s just another way for you to not accept responsibility for your actions. Imho anyways.

5. GenXJay says: May 8, 2013 1:27 PM

Titus Young can’t comment on this.

6. thejuddstir says: May 8, 2013 1:31 PM

Where have we have heard this song and dance before…..and how many thousands of times. How many second and third chances do these idiots get and then they always have to have their agents make the press release because the players aren’t intelligent enough (although they all supposedly “earned” their college degrees, yeah right) to make a statement much less even read a word that has more than two syllables. It’s the unlimited number of chances that teams keep giving these guys, even though every team claims the player deserves “a second chance”, which is as phoney as the courts that punish these fools. Why wouldn’t a DUI be a violation of his probation on two previous drug convictions? It would if it were Joe Blow. If the courts aren’t going to punish they idiots, why should the NFL team is what it amounts to I guess….which means they have unlimited chances to break laws and possibly put innocent people at risk when they are breaking the law. Gettin’ rather tired of it myself.

7. eatitfanboy says: May 8, 2013 1:33 PM

Like I said the other day, go buy a personal breathalyzer and monitor yourself the next time you drink. Consider how drunk you feel when you register .095, and then decide how badly you want to crush this kid.

Again, NOT SAYING IT’S RIGHT, but have a little perspective.

8. ilovefoolsball says: May 8, 2013 1:45 PM

“I’m not willing to condemn for life a kid who blew a .095. I’d be willing to be 60-75% of people on the road Friday after 11pm would blow that.

Again, NOT SAYING IT’S RIGHT, but have a little perspective.”

———-

I get what you’re saying I guess it’s just harder for the ordinary working man to sympathize with a guy who is making millions of dollars and making dumb mistakes that could jeopardize that kind of wealth when most people are busting their ass to make less than 50K a year.

9. godofwine330 says: May 8, 2013 1:52 PM

XBOX Live and not leaving the house is a good idea. Being that I was in the Navy, I know how hard it is to just be young and bored and wanting to go out and drink. But the problem with you getting something to drink is…you have to get back. Hopefully he gets a chance to learn his lesson and he never does this again.

10. surfinbird1 says: May 8, 2013 1:55 PM

He’ll be sellin’ weed at minicamp.

11. eatitfanboy says: May 8, 2013 1:56 PM

ilovefoolsball says:

—–

I agree. I wasn’t trying to say you should have any sympathy for him. You shouldn’t. I was mainly referring to people who seem to think he shouldn’t be able to play in the NFL because he’s had a couple scrapes with the law.

I wouldn’t lose my job for one misdemeanor DUI. Would you?

12. thegreatgabbert says: May 8, 2013 1:57 PM

Brown’s issued a statement of their own. “He is not Armonty any longer. Let someone else have him.”.

13. timb289 says: May 8, 2013 1:57 PM

Again, NOT SAYING IT’S RIGHT, but have a little perspective.
    _______________________________

Hey Eatitfanboy,

I bet you would be more willing to condemn him if you lost a love one to an impaired driver like him. I dont think your perspective holds water!

14. latchbeam says: May 8, 2013 1:59 PM

Hope he can overcome his mistakes… He’s young but I hope he uses this to turn it around. Not that its an excuse, but he sold $20 worth of weed and drank a sixer… he didn’t assault, rape or kill someone.

15. thegreatgabbert says: May 8, 2013 2:00 PM

While Armonty is not officially related to Dez, there does seem to be a certain resemblance.

16. blahblahblah1313 says: May 8, 2013 2:29 PM

Every one deserves a second chance. Oh wait. I meant a 3rd chance. Of wait I meant a …You get the idea.

17. brownspower says: May 8, 2013 2:36 PM

Putting the responsibility on the Browns for this guy to straighten his life out would be a surefire way to get the axe if I was the GM of the Browns. I’d want to hear how he is going to do it for himself. He’s screwed it up, he better fix it. This doesn’t sound like it’s going to go well

18. onereasonableman says: May 8, 2013 2:52 PM

Nobody surrounded me with a great supporting cast on my first job.

It isn’t the Browns’ responsibility. It is his. The Browns responsibility is to win games… please. If along the way, they manage to help some people with troubled lives, then all the better.

And I have an idea, how about his agent work to surround him with a great supporting cast?

19. eatitfanboy says: May 8, 2013 2:53 PM

timb289 says:

Hey Eatitfanboy,

—-

Do a little research. 90% of fatal accidents where alcohol is a contributing factor involve drivers at least 2 to 3 times the legal limit.

10 years ago, when the limit was .10, he wouldn’t even have been arrested. Does that mean .098 was less dangerous then?

All lowering the limit from from .10 to .08 did was allow the police to make more arrests and thus look like they were “doing something” about drunk driving.

Don’t be a sheep. Educate yourself.

20. borophyll says: May 8, 2013 3:11 PM

Thanks a lot, Banner and Lombardi.

21. fourthandafoot says: May 9, 2013 3:48 AM

I had him rated at 322 overall because well he’s a lowlife but I can’t blame Cleveland for taking a chance on him at pick 217 but I can blame Cleveland for not sitting him down the next day after the draft and showing how to be a pro. They should have had daily guidelines in place for him right away. His problems go far beyond just selling 20 bucks worth of marijuana to an undercover cop twice on campus.

22. fourthandafoot says: May 9, 2013 4:16 AM

I’ll give it up to Armonty Bryant. At least his character bio was an interesting read during the draft process. Not as good as some in the past like the FB who had a gun running merc for hire dad or the OT who had an incest history :( or the TE who was a rapist and an alcoholic who drove into a retirement home. Falls short this year of only a few like DJ Hayden, Manti Teo or Shamarko Thomas.

It was a pretty clean and boring draft class this year. I only dropped down a few guys from draftable to a priority UFA rating. Ray Ray Armstrong wasn’t really a draftable guy so he doesn’t count. Ray Graham dropped to 268 and that was generous, Mark Harrison to 259, Greg Reid to 262, Marquess Wilson kept a draftable grade at 190 but the biggest fall was Tyrann Mathieu who I had at 45 for ages but dropped him all the way down to 273 just two days before the draft. Good luck Arizona.

P.S. not putting down Manti Teo, Shamarko Thomas or DJ Hayden. They fell into more of the interesting read category rather then skunk class.

23. timb289 says: May 11, 2013 7:38 PM

timb289 says:

Hey Eatitfanboy,

—-

Don’t be a sheep. Educate yourself.
    ________________________________
    Hey Eatitfanboy,

Maybe you should do alittle research yourself, in the state where he will be employed and where I live, any alchohol in your system will get you arrested! The legal limit per say applies to whether your drivers license will be automatically suspended by the state. An alchohol level of .035 could land you an OVI conviction. I work in Law enformement and have had training to detect levels of impairment at different BAC levels. I can tell you that no one person is the same. Point is, dont be a turd and get a designated driver for gods sake!