Arrested Lion apologizes (stop us if you’ve heard this one)

Colt McCoy, Korey Bosworth AP

Ronnell Lewis took the next step toward working his way into the 2014 Lions team calendar.

According to Tim Twentyman of the team’s official website, Lewis made a point to apologize to his teammates and general manager Martin Mayhew for his arrest in April for disturbing the peace and public intoxication.

I apologized to the team,” Lewis said. “I feel like I embarrassed myself, my family and the guys and the organization. We’ve had a lot of that in the past and I don’t want to be that guy again. I’ve learned from my mistakes and it’s time to pick it up and take on a leadership role.

“The apology was gaining some trust back a little bit. It’s not going to happen overnight. I just want to take one day at a time and hopefully it’ll blow over in the weeks and months to come. Hopefully, my playing ability and my character on the field and off the field will help the situation.”

Now, all he has to do is make the team to try to make things right. Even though the Lions lost Cliff Avril and Kyle Vanden Bosch this offseason, they drafted Ziggy Ansah as well as spending a fourth-rounder on Devin Taylor.

“It’s motivation,” Lewis said. “They took two guys. One was highly drafted and one was in the same situation I was in [fourth-round pick] last year.

“In those rounds, players are good and they’re going to have an opportunity to come in and play. It’s going to make me work a lot harder and be more accountable. I’m going to continue working, which is all I can do.”

That, and stay out of bar fights in Oklahoma.

Permalink 27 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Detroit Lions, Home, Rumor Mill
27 Responses to “Arrested Lion apologizes (stop us if you’ve heard this one)”
  1. thestrategyexpert says: May 8, 2013 2:20 PM

Arrest or no arrest, Ronnell is still a better choice than KVB. We didn’t really lose KVB this year, we gained from his departure as he was making countless mistakes on the field and he was a huge liability on our DL.

2. blahblahblah1313 says: May 8, 2013 2:23 PM

You already are that guy

3. citynative says: May 8, 2013 2:25 PM

@Lionsdraftguy

Classless organization?

4. jimmysee says: May 8, 2013 2:29 PM

Another lyin” Lion

5. johnelwayishorsefaced says: May 8, 2013 2:30 PM

Ok MDS Junior what would you have preferred that he do? Not apologize? Say that he was glad that it happened and that he’s going to do it again?
    He wasn’t apologizing to you or to the fans by the way he was apologizing to his teammates so this really had nothing to do with us or you. Next story.

6. jpb12 says: May 8, 2013 2:32 PM

“Marijuana usage will not scare away Detroit Lions in NFL Draft” – Martin Mayhew

These guys are all getting arrested cuz they got the munchies and they’re out for a late night snack when they shouldn’t be…

7. rc33 says: May 8, 2013 2:33 PM

If I’m ever in a bar fight in Oklahoma I’m just hoping Toby Keith is on my side.

8. toonzes says: May 8, 2013 2:47 PM

why MDS hates the Lions is anyones guess, but you’ll never here him say anything positive about the organization. he’s just been given a forum to take shots whenever he wants… good job Flo

9. matthewcarlson1 says: May 8, 2013 2:49 PM

formula for apology: say sorry. state shame. state regret. mention all those you let down. lie about learning from mistake. make statement of optimism for future. Stay out of trouble for a month or two. repeat.

10. robertocfg says: May 8, 2013 2:49 PM

Déjà vu.

11. sonoco says: May 8, 2013 2:52 PM

Embarrassed Lions fans to lash out at Jim Harbaugh for no apparent reason in 3 . . . . 2 . . . 1 . . .

12. toonzes says: May 8, 2013 2:54 PM

Like Ray Lewis?

13. tokyosandblaster says: May 8, 2013 2:57 PM

Man, this club is doomed.

14. toonzes says: May 8, 2013 2:59 PM

Not all repeat their mistakes, if they did there wouldn’t be enough players to make 32 teams.

15. lionsdraftguy says: May 8, 2013 3:01 PM

@citynative

You MUST be a 49ers fan. San Fran is the definition of classless. Lead by the bigmouth coach, all the way down to guys like Staley and Anthony Davis (who seems to always need a TE to help block..why is that?).

16. johnelwayishorsefaced says: May 8, 2013 3:02 PM

Sonoco-we don’t ever need an excuse to lash out at the most classless, universally hated coach in all of sports but thanks

17. mack2x says: May 8, 2013 3:06 PM

Could’ve been worse. But I guess many of the new, more sensitive members of PFT have never been in a scrap in a bar before.

18. dryble says: May 8, 2013 3:08 PM

Don’t think he had any issues in college. Everyone does some stupid crap in their early 20’s. As long as he doesn’t make a habit of it there won’t be a problem. He is gonna have to fight to get a spot on the roster, but he was gonna have to do that before this incident.

19. lionsdraftguy says: May 8, 2013 3:10 PM

@toonzes

You are 100% correct. The guy is pathetic.

20. mmsierra says: May 8, 2013 3:19 PM

He should Fit Right In !!

LOL !!
    A REAL Lion !!

21. mack2x says: May 8, 2013 3:22 PM

johnelwayishorsefaced says:
    ————————————-

Well played.

22. mack2x says: May 8, 2013 3:24 PM

mmsierra says:
    He should Fit Right In !!

LOL !!
    A REAL Lion !!
    —————————
    Calm down, you’re going to soil yourself.

23. eatitfanboy says: May 8, 2013 3:36 PM

When I was this guy’s age, I pulled alot of crap that could have gotten me in just as much trouble. Luckily, for the most part, I got away with it.

I’m not sure what’s up with all of the holier than thou people who want these young men drummed out the league for these ridiculously silly and minor offenses: either you were too geeky to have fun or you’re just a hypocrite.

Either way, lighten up. Just because these guys make more than you doesn’t mean they’re not allowed to act their age.

24. citynative says: May 8, 2013 4:09 PM

@Lionsdraftguy

You are infatuated with the Niners. In regards to your comments, look in the mirror. Your comments are as empty as your team’s trophy case.

25. lionsdraftguy says: May 8, 2013 4:20 PM

You’re a real tough guy CityNative. Or tough “kid”.

26. lionsyooper says: May 9, 2013 12:11 AM

There seems to be a bit of a misconception related to the number of arrests by Lions players that the average uneducated NFL fan does not comprehend. It may result from a biased media, a skewed perspective, or just utter lack of knowledge on one’s own part.

Case in point, the following is a breakdown of the number of arrests by team in the NFC North alone, from 2001 to 2011:
    Vikings – 34
    Bears – 19
    Packers – 13
    Lions – 7

If these numbers are not recent enough to make the point, the Vikings have had 10 arrests since the beginning of 2011 to present and the Lions have had 7.

Try to take an objective look at things before you start spewing out your uneducated opinions.

27. fourthandafoot says: May 9, 2013 3:31 AM

It was well known that he was a knucklehead with off the field baggage in college. This is not a surprise to the Detroit organization.