49ers encouraged by Marcus Lattimore’s physical

Marcus Lattimore AP

The 49ers got their first in-depth look at Marcus Lattimore’s knee since they drafted him, and they were pleased with what they saw.

That doesn’t necessarily mean the rookie running back will play this season.

The fourth-round pick went through a thorough examination upon reporting with the rest of the 49ers rookies this week, and coach Jim Harbaugh was encouraged.

“Everything looks good structurally with all the guys that we drafted,” Harbaugh said, via Matt Maiocco of CSNBayArea.com. “The ACL looks really good for Marcus. We have to take a step back in terms of some of the cutting because we want that inside of the knee, the lateral side of the knee, to heal fully.”

Lattimore probably would have been a first-round pick, before a nasty right knee injury in October. That and the team’s abundance of picks allowed them to take a flier on him late, knowing they don’t necessarily need him this year, and can give him time to get well.

“I think that would be fine,” Lattimore said of the possibility of a redshirt year. “Whatever happens these next three months probably will determine that. I’m going to continue to keep working hard, and if I’m called upon, I feel like hopefully I’ll be ready.

“I feel like whatever’s best, I’m going to go with that. We have a lot of great guys on our team — Kendall [Hunter], Frank [Gore], Anthony Dixon, LaMichael [James]. And I know I can learn a lot from those guys.”

He’s going through meetings with teammates and coaches now, and that might be the extent of his activity this year. The luxury of depth works for him too, as it gives one of the brightest stars in college football a chance to get back to the form he showed at South Carolina.

Permalink 26 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, San Francisco 49ers
26 Responses to “49ers encouraged by Marcus Lattimore’s physical”
  1. sfniners4life says: May 10, 2013 8:58 PM

I expect a big career from lattimore and smart for niners to save him until he ready.

2. noeffinway says: May 10, 2013 9:02 PM

“……we want that inside of the knee, the lateral side of the knee……”
    ___________

On my knees the inside is called the medial. The lateral is the outside. They must build em different on NFL players.

3. jdphx says: May 10, 2013 9:10 PM

Ahhh Coach…

Coaches should only coach.

“because we want that inside of the knee, the lateral side of the knee, to heal fully.”

Lateral: 1. In anatomy, the side of the body or a body part that is farther from the middle or center of the body. Typically, lateral refers to the outer side of the body part, but it is also used to refer to the side of a body part. For example, when referring to the knee, lateral refers to the side of the knee farthest from the opposite knee. The opposite of lateral is medial.

4. jdphx says: May 10, 2013 9:14 PM

Ahhh Coach…

Coaches should only coach.

“because we want that Ahhh Coach…

Coaches should only coach.

5. braceyourselffor12 says: May 10, 2013 9:14 PM

As a Niner Faithful I can only wish the best of luck Marcus, just take time to heal. Frank Gore came into the league having suffered a similar injury and he seemed to work out pretty well.

No need to rush out there as we have a solid core of RB’s. I love the attitude of the NFC West now, rising out of the ashes to be the most dominant in the League.

To my fellow Niner fans, don’t be like the Seahag trolls: move forward with humble hearts. We know what it’s like to root for champions and we know what it’s like seeing our team sink into the abyss. Mark my words: hubris will catch up to them.

Go Niners!!!!!

6. jdphx says: May 10, 2013 9:15 PM

I failed HTML class…. obviously!

7. mswravens says: May 10, 2013 9:29 PM

The inside of the knee would be the medial side, not the lateral side. Just sayin…

8. smartman415 says: May 10, 2013 9:39 PM

I think my 49ers are going to have quite the RB committee when Frank Gore retires. LaMichael James is going to be a great change of pace back and Lattimore (if his knee recovers) and Kendall Hunter both have the ability to be good NFL every down backs….with that said Anthony Dixon has a lot of heart and I hope we are able to find a way to keep him on the roster with special teams or something along those lines

9. latchbeam says: May 10, 2013 9:48 PM

Pulling for you Marcus!!!

10. thebigtim2012 says: May 10, 2013 9:49 PM

This kid is the real deal. Let him take the whole year off fully heal and the niners will be greatly rewarded.

11. kramerbarthomer says: May 10, 2013 9:52 PM

The inside part of the knee is the medial part of the knee. Not the lateral. Way to be a moron Harbaugh.

12. theytukrjobs says: May 10, 2013 10:00 PM

On one hand, a team trying to win now should be taking players that can play now. But the 9ers really have a roster in such good shape all around that they can make an investment like this to help them win in the future as well.

With Lattimore if he can’t play by week 6 they have to IR him. It is kind of unlikely that he’ll play this season so they’ll probably shut him down midway through camp to pick up some other team’s cast off that fits a need.

Crazy for a team that went to the superbowl to have 14 picks the next year. 9ers will be hanging around for a while most likely.

13. pacopicopiedra says: May 10, 2013 10:33 PM

Harbaugh, the inside of the knee is the medial side, not the lateral side.

14. jrazz22 says: May 10, 2013 10:42 PM

Great value pick for the 49ers. He’s in a perfect situation to rehabilitate his knee without a ton of pressure. If he works out it will be a steal for the Niners.

15. myosin10 says: May 10, 2013 10:45 PM

I’m calling it now, at the end of the season around game 12 this guy will be on everyone’s Fantasy Football roster racking up points like crazy!! SF drafted the best RB in the draft and dude will be a star next year

16. realfootballfan says: May 10, 2013 10:51 PM

This dude’s going to be a beast for them in a couple of years when Gore slows down.

17. tennesseeoilers says: May 10, 2013 11:25 PM

Three years ago, I relocated from Nashville to Charlotte (on the North and South Carolina state line). I lamented being in this fringe college football region of the country, which also “boasts” Duke and Appalachian State. But then I saw Marcus Lattimore play for the first time, and that changed everything. Immediately, I had a reason to care and before long, I was a genuine fan of his. Congrats on that steal of a deal, ’9ers.

18. gades22 says: May 10, 2013 11:46 PM

I love all the people dogging Harbaugh because he’s a professional football coach and not a medical doctor. Especially considering all these people had to look up “lateral vs medial” on Wikipedia.

19. lionsdraftguy says: May 11, 2013 12:36 AM

The inside of the knee is the medial..

The big fat thing in the middle of Harbaughs face is his big mouth.

20. jayniner says: May 11, 2013 1:35 AM

Apparently there are only board certified doctors commenting here…..and obviously you know better than the 49ers medical staff as to what’s best for the players and the team….

21. blueballz77 says: May 11, 2013 3:04 AM

I don’t think I ve ever wanted A player to make it big time more than this Kid – Giants fan.

22. decon49 says: May 11, 2013 10:00 AM

I think he was referring to both the outside and inside since he said the acl was healing good

23. icardfan says: May 11, 2013 10:06 AM

From a Cards fan, good luck kid. I think he’ll be a better person and player with this adversity.

24. datdude76 says: May 11, 2013 11:44 AM

Harbaugh was clearly referring to the “unhappy triad”. Which includes the LATERAL meniscus, the MEDIAL collateral ligament and the ACL, of which as he stated the ACL has healed fine but the other parts of the “triad” must heal fully to avoid future injury.

Good Day

Go Niners!

25. questforthesixthnotthelast2013 says: May 11, 2013 12:44 PM

What no seagull fans yapping about the only victory against the niners in two full seasons!
    Harbaugh is smarter than the average Bear, but he isn’t a doctor!
    So when he speaks about it, maybe it came out wrong , but the whole knee is better, they just want to be cautious and not put it at risk, like the ‘Skins did with RGIII in the playoffs.
    Wish the niners well and hope Gore goes for 2000 and Kaeper throws for 5000 and 50 TD’s.
    Whoop Whoop!!! Go Niners!!!!!!

26. jebdamone says: May 11, 2013 2:21 PM

i cannot wait to see this kid busting loose in a couple years behind that beastly niners OL.