Doctor says Eddie Lacy’s toe shouldn’t be a concern

Alabama Eddie Lacy AP

Concerns about the condition of Eddie Lacy’s toe caused him to fall to the second round of the NFL Draft.

But the Packers are glad he fell into their laps, and the doctor who worked on the Sgt. Hulka of this year’s draft process said the concerns were unfounded.

University of Alabama team doctor E. Lyle Cain Jr. told Tyler Dunne of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel that any worry about Lacy’s long-term toe health has passed.

Lacy had fusion surgery, but only on one small bone at the tip of his toe, meaning he still has mobility.

“The joint underneath the toenail was fused to allow the ligament to work better basically,” Cain said. “It’s something you do to give you a better push-off. His big toe moves just like a normal big toe in terms of motion. . . . If you fused it completely, it’d give you a stiff big toe and you can’t push off and that’s a big problem. In Eddie’s case, he does not have that. His fusion does not affect his big-toe motion.

The bottom line is, the fusion he had does not affect his big-toe motion.”

That’s good news for the Packers, who desperately needed some ballast for their run game, and adding a physical runner could be the complement they’ve been looking for.

“That answered the question really,” Cain said. “I think that takes it out of the equation, . . .

“I expect Eddie Lacy to have a long, productive NFL career. I don’t think the toe will be a problem in his career.”

Of course, the Packers hedged their bets by doubling up with UCLA running back Johnathan Franklin, but they clearly trusted their medical report on Lacy, when other teams did not.

Permalink 58 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Green Bay Packers, Home, Rumor Mill
58 Responses to “Doctor says Eddie Lacy’s toe shouldn’t be a concern”
  1. unbiasfan says: May 10, 2013 9:57 AM

He will be a bust, he had a better O-Line in college than he will in the pros

2. floratiotime says: May 10, 2013 9:58 AM

His brain is a huge worry though.

3. GenXJay says: May 10, 2013 10:01 AM

Packers have bigger problems than some rooks toe.

4. jjthesportsguy says: May 10, 2013 10:13 AM

Between bringing in 2 exciting backs a shuffling their offensive line around to protect Rodgers’ I am very excited about the potential of this offense even without Jennings and Driver(they were essentially without those guys last year anyway).

5. scoops1 says: May 10, 2013 10:16 AM

not worried

6. We need Bud Grant says: May 10, 2013 10:21 AM

Given my Vikes are in the same division, I hope he doesn’t turn out to be the next AD.

7. johnnyjagfan says: May 10, 2013 10:23 AM

This isn’t quite RGIII & Kirk Cousins, but still interesting to pick two of the top 5 or so RBs in a draft.

8. profootballboss says: May 10, 2013 10:23 AM

the Vikings, Bears and Lions just shat themselves

9. shinedown37 says: May 10, 2013 10:26 AM

If he can stay healthy for a full year, watch out the packers could score touchdowns on every possession. Especially with Franklin, to switch up the tempo.Throw in the passing game, and if there defense can improve from last season, the Pack will be Back!

10. flaccounibrow says: May 10, 2013 10:30 AM

The main issue is that his 1st mtp joint which is directly behind his fused joint will have to work harder and ultimately will become arthritic. this will be a career ender. It likely won’t happen in the near future, so GB still got solid value for him. It does shed light on why Pitt. Cin. and Den. passed on him though.

11. crownofthehelmet says: May 10, 2013 10:33 AM

Yes, I’m sure having two toes permanently glued together won’t affect his mobility at all. Great draft pick.

That was sarcasm tokyo.

12. jrmbadger says: May 10, 2013 10:37 AM

“Lacy had the surgery in the 2011 offseason, but went onto rush for 1,322 yards and 17 touchdowns. So if it’s a problem, it’s hard to tell.”
    ===============

That was my thought on hearing this whole thing. The toe was such a problem that he dominated his senior year? That’s like if the Vikings cut Adrian Pederson this offseason and teams refused to sign him because of his ACL injuries despite his monster year last year.

Either some teams are WAYYY overthinking this, or there are other reasons they passed and this is an excuse.

Either way, he may be the STEAL of the draft.

13. leftyman says: May 10, 2013 10:41 AM

The Packers had Rex Ryan clear the toe.

14. thedoubleentandres says: May 10, 2013 10:43 AM

I didnt see much college football at all, but this guy looks like an absolute beast. Im a huge Broncos fan and Im just hoping the decision to go with Ball over Lacy doesnt come back to hunt us

15. immafubared says: May 10, 2013 10:56 AM

I have Lacy being a bum. The Packers will have had two poor drafts in two years. Last year, Perry and Worthless did nada for a first and second. This year Datone is going to a team that rushes linebackers not DE’s so how does he fit in?
    I have the Pack at 6-11. It will be a long climb for them to get back to the SB. The Vikes and Lions are vastly improved and the Pack are full of what if players.

16. Rick Spielman is a Magician says: May 10, 2013 11:01 AM

We need Bud Grant says:May 10, 2013 10:21 AM

______

I don’t think you need to lose any sleep over that.

17. Rick Spielman is a Magician says: May 10, 2013 11:01 AM

The Packers can only hope that Lacy will be as successful as their last second-round running back, Brandon Jackson.

18. slayisland says: May 10, 2013 11:04 AM

Totally agree packers not doin much to improve “TURF TOE” will always come in to play

19. nemobhax says: May 10, 2013 11:06 AM

So technically this makes him an ungulate? :)

20. canadianbucsfan says: May 10, 2013 11:09 AM

With arguably the best QB in the league, one of the best passing attacks in the league, additions of Lacy and Franklin ( they compliment eachother very well, Lacy will come at you and truck you hard for extra yards, Franklin will take the ball outside and outrun you for a long run. Oh yeah, the pack have a pretty talented but young defense also. Rodgers will get another SB ring, who knows if its next year..

21. bordner says: May 10, 2013 11:20 AM

It looks like the Packers will finally have a halfway-decent run game to complement their passing game. I’d say judging by their false bravado-filled comments, viking fans are extremely worried about this. But then again, all they ever do is post on Packer stories, so it’s kind of hard to tell.

22. jhein23 says: May 10, 2013 11:25 AM

How are the Packers going to go 6-11, when there is only 16 games on the schedule? And last time I checked they have Aaron Rodgers since opening day 2009 – he has only lost to the Bears once, Vikings once and Lions once. So he’s 21-3 in the division, 48-12 in the regular season, a MVP, a SB win over Big Ben and the Steelers in that time. Yet fans of other teams in the division still call him Karen and act like he’s overrated.

23. shaggytoodle says: May 10, 2013 11:28 AM

I think that TT’s patience helped a lot, only investing a later 2nd round pick takes some pressure off of Lacy. He also picked up an insurance policy in Franklin.

Hopefully those 2 guys can be the effective RBs that GB needs to help balance their offense attack a little more.

24. axespray says: May 10, 2013 11:30 AM

Viking Fans talk like they were just in the superbowl, yet their team is more likely to fall off the map this year, than to contend… It’s like someone cloned an army of Rex Ryans and gave them a keyboard – All off-season we’ve been hearing the yap about how great Christian Ponder is – the “PURPLE REIGN” – lol … I wonder if Steeler/Raven fans are trolled this often by Browns fans.

25. Rick Spielman is a Magician says: May 10, 2013 11:34 AM

immafubared says:May 10, 2013 10:56 AM

_____

All good points but it’s hard to take them seriously when you don’t know how many games are in an NFL season.

26. emoney826 says: May 10, 2013 11:43 AM

@jhein23, its called jealousy. Those fans come on every packer thread spewing their jealousy and hatred for the team that has practically dominated the division since the early 90’s. It’s understandable to hate us. It’s like me hating the st Louis cardinals. No matter how good the brewers play, we cannot get past them. It sucks.

27. emoney826 says: May 10, 2013 11:45 AM

And if Minnesota or Chicago picked up Lacy in the draft, they’d be calling him and AP or him and Forte a great 1-2 punch. But since its the packers who picked him, he’s immediately called a bust.

28. jhein23 says: May 10, 2013 11:52 AM

I agree @emoney826 lots of jealousy on the Packers and not just PFT articles. If Aaron Rodgers stays healthy the defense can finish last in the league by a wide margin and they are still going to win more than 6 games.

29. shaggytoodle says: May 10, 2013 11:57 AM

immafubared says:May 10, 2013 10:56 AM

______

Perry got hurt like week 5 or 6, so I don’t think you should judge him on that, he is pretty raw, but you might want to wait another season before you pass judgment.

I am guessing you probably said Rodgers was a terrible QB after going 6-10 his first year as a starter.

30. jhein23 says: May 10, 2013 11:58 AM

Vikings fans – when Adrian Peterson was absolutely dominating down the stretch last season I saw 8 and even 9 man boxes trying to stop the run. What QB in the NFL wouldn’t have success? So in that last reg season game – we had polar opposites Ponder against a defense that couldn’t stop the run, putting 9 man in the box against a defense that had no respect at all for the Packers running game and an offensive line starting Newhouse and a rookie right tackle in the Metrodome. I think Rodgers job was a little tougher yet the Vikings still barely squeaked the game out. Pump your chest – SB bound. We’ve seen lots of running backs repeat 2,000 yard seasons in NFL history.

31. Carl Gerbschmidt says: May 10, 2013 12:19 PM

Eddie Lacy is going to be the best RB in the NFL for the next ten years. With the running game shored up between Lacy and Franklin, a little extra fire power for our Defense, Bulaga sliding over to Left Tackle – nothing’s gonna stop us now. Here. We. Come.

Hey, vIke fans! How many Super Bowls have you won?

32. Rick Spielman is a Magician says: May 10, 2013 12:44 PM

I’m not saying that Lacy or Franklin will be a bust, but history is not on your side, Packer fans. The Packers have drafted 30 running backs in the last 30 years and only one (Dorsey Levens, 1994) turned out to be any good. Ten of those running backs were drafted in the first three rounds and they were all busts. So while you’re all crowing about what a great running game you’re going to have now, try to remember how many times you’ve done that before. Does anyone remember Alex Green (3rd round, 2011)?

33. Carl Gerbschmidt says: May 10, 2013 12:51 PM

@spielmanmagic

So, you’re a history buff, eh? Here’s a history question for you:

In the history of the NFL, how many Super Bowls have the Minnesota Vikings won?

34. Rick Spielman is a Magician says: May 10, 2013 1:15 PM

@Carl –

Enjoy your memories. I hope Lacy or Franklin pans out for you. They each have a 3.333% chance of being successful.

35. Carl Gerbschmidt says: May 10, 2013 1:27 PM

@Rick

Oh, you like stats, too? Maybe a stats question then:

In the History of the NFL, there have been 47 Super Bowls played. What percentage of these Super Bowls have been won by the Minnesota Vikings:

A. 0.000%
    B. 0.000%
    C. 0.000%
    D. All of the above

Read carefully, because it might be a trick question.

36. doe22us says: May 10, 2013 1:29 PM

I am a speedy guy myself, it always amazes me that something as benign as a toe could just derail ones speed. The human anatomy is indeed amazing.

37. tokyosandblaster says: May 10, 2013 1:58 PM

There are more Vikings trolls on this post than there have been Packers trolls on any Vikings posts all year, combined.

What’s so cute about it is that the Vikings think their picks are going to be probowlers this season.

Shariff t-Rex Floyd won’t impact anything before Peterson is a backup in 2 years.

Please, PLEASE have your rookie corner on Jordy, James, or Randall.

And cordarelle “window licker” Patterson is one of the dumbest people in NFL history: your GM even said it. I’m sure that will turn out well.

Don’t worry about how the already vastly superior Packers have found ways to become even better than they were last year, focus on how your GM doesn’t seem to realize that his golden child QB is one of the worst in the league.

Whoops.

38. gtodriver says: May 10, 2013 2:03 PM

@jhein23

Rodgers has been the starter since 2008 – not 2009.

He lost 3 of his first 4 starts against the Vikings- getting swept by the Vikings in 2009.

For a fan of a team that lives in the past it appears you have blacked out the many failed seasons that your franchise has had.

39. jhein23 says: May 10, 2013 2:03 PM

@Rick – Edgar Bennett was a very solid running back drafted in the early 90’s had a good career.

40. tokyosandblaster says: May 10, 2013 2:07 PM

@GTO, we don’t forget the bad seasons. They just remind us how amazing the Championship seasons are.

I mean, you know…

41. jhein23 says: May 10, 2013 2:20 PM

gtodriver I know that he has been the starter since 2008, I wouldn’t have specifically written down 2009. 2008 was a bad season where the Packers lost several close games and finished 6-10. We’ve had 1 losing and season since 1992 – so yep lots of failure since I started watching the Packers in 1989.

42. Rick Spielman is a Magician says: May 10, 2013 2:23 PM

@jhein23 –

I considered Bennett, but the one year he had over 1,000 yards rushing, he only averaged 3.4 yards per carry. I’ll let you have him, but I guess my standards for successful running backs is a little higher.

43. jhein23 says: May 10, 2013 2:23 PM

Oops 2 losing seasons since 1992 my bad forgot the season the Packers when Favre threw 29 picks and the Pack went 4-12

44. Rick Spielman is a Magician says: May 10, 2013 2:30 PM

jhein23 says:May 10, 2013 2:20 PM

___

I’ll be you’re glad you weren’t paying attention from 1968 to 1988. Of course, neither were most Packer fans who didn’t jump on the bandwagon until the team started winning.

45. jhein23 says: May 10, 2013 2:30 PM

@Rick – your standards are where they should be, he wasn’t great. But he did a lot of little things great like pass blocking, 1 of the best pass catching, especially screen pass running backs too. I think he had at least 2 seasons where he was over 70 catches.

46. We need Bud Grant says: May 10, 2013 2:34 PM

nemobhax says:May 10, 2013 11:06 AM

So technically this makes him an ungulate?

++++++

I’ll admit I had to look it up, but that’s pretty good…

47. tokyosandblaster says: May 10, 2013 2:38 PM

Don’t give Rick too much credit.

He thinks Ponder is the best QB in the league.

48. Rick Spielman is a Magician says: May 10, 2013 3:30 PM

tokyosandblaster says:May 10, 2013 1:58 PM

____

Really? Because I read all the Viking stories and you’re on there a lot. And you’re not offering well thought out opinions and facts like I am.

49. deltaoracle says: May 10, 2013 4:36 PM

Rick Spiel, Brandon Jackson was the leading rusher for a team that won the Super Bowl. I bet Peterson would settle for that. And Thompson didn’t draft most of the mediocre running backs you are so happy about. We’ll see what happens.

50. themagicfanguy says: May 10, 2013 4:43 PM

@Spielman It’s been TWENTY YEARS since Green Bay got Favre and became one of the consistently dominant teams in the NFL, they’re not “bandwagon” fans anymore.

51. wafflestomp says: May 10, 2013 4:56 PM

Rick Spielman is a Douche says:

———————————————————————————
    Don’t think so, The Packers have sold out every home game during that span. Hell, long before that even.
    I should know, since I’ve been there for a fair share of them.

Yeah, I will admit that our team hasn’t been always been pretty or effective, but you can’t dog the Packer fan’s loyalty.

Besides, it takes all of the pain and anguish, you endure as a fan, to really enjoy the view from the mountaintop.

I’m sure you can understand what I mean… um……err……Oh, nevermind.

52. filthymcnasty1 says: May 10, 2013 5:42 PM

Viking fans should quit worrying about Lacy’s big toe, and start worrying about Ponder’s camel toe.

53. gbp4ever says: May 10, 2013 6:30 PM

Packers checked this out and knew about it. If he had his big toe totally fused he would have went much later then he did.

54. stevelibrandi says: May 10, 2013 11:36 PM

better keep cedric bensons cell phone number

55. stevelibrandi says: May 10, 2013 11:37 PM

steelers know their stuff they passed cristine michael is more likely to dominate a toe ended jack lamberts career

56. stevelibrandi says: May 10, 2013 11:42 PM

Last o line in college I saw like that had Chris Ward Doug France doug mackey and jimmy moore blocking for archie griffin explains how a mediocre back won back2back heismans

57. outlawshark says: May 10, 2013 11:45 PM

@Rick
    It’s tough to draft an AP when the Packers are consistently picking towards the bottom of the draft order. The Vikings always seem to pick towards the top, thus they are provided a MUCH better opportunity to do so. In Vegas, they call it odds.

58. Rick Spielman is a Magician says: May 11, 2013 12:21 PM

@outlawshark –

That actually isn’t true, but whatever. Robert Smith and Michael Bennett were picked in the 20’s. Terry Allen was picked in the 9th round.