Rex Ryan: Geno Smith is no diva with the Jets

Geno Smith AP

As Jets second-round draft pick Geno Smith was put through the wringer of withering media scrutiny over the last couple weeks, one of the stories making the rounds was that Smith acted like a “diva” in meetings with NFL coaches. Jets coach Rex Ryan says he has no idea where that came from.

“Maybe I don’t know what diva behavior looks like, but he certainly didn’t do it here,” Ryan said after Smith had his first rookie minicamp practice today. “He’s a football player that you can tell loved the game, very knowledgeable about his system. I never saw that at all.”

Ryan says the Jets researched Smith’s college career and found that he was known for being a good student of the game and a good team leader.

“Anybody that you talk to at West Virginia will tell you that,” Ryan said. “He knew it. He studied it more. He prepared harder than anybody. That’s all, just be himself, that’s the big thing, he already knows how to do it. This guy has been playing quarterback and [has been] the leader of his football team for a number of years.”

On the practice field Friday, Ryan liked the way Smith carried himself.

“You kind of listen to the huddle, all that type of stuff,” Ryan said. “Some guys can’t spit it out, [Smith] certainly can. Those are things you look at, the way he conducts himself, eyes up, all that type of stuff.”

Whatever Smith might have done to turn off coaches on 31 other teams doesn’t matter now. On the Jets, his coach likes him just fine.

Permalink 100 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New York Jets, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
100 Responses to “Rex Ryan: Geno Smith is no diva with the Jets”
  1. thehatefulnerd says: May 10, 2013 8:08 PM

Compared to Sanchez?

2. thesteelers says: May 10, 2013 8:09 PM

In just three sentences he says I, I, I’m, my, I, myself.

3. blkdmon says: May 10, 2013 8:11 PM

That coming from the diva of head coaches…ummmm, yeah , ok, whatever you say Rex.

4. mrbigass says: May 10, 2013 8:13 PM

Well, I am now totally convinced after hearing from Rex that Geno is not a Weeno………

5. virusgvr says: May 10, 2013 8:13 PM

“I never saw that at all”….

There are a lot of things you have never seen Rex.

6. mpmoell says: May 10, 2013 8:13 PM

Is Rex’s comment based on comparisons to Tebow

7. firstroyal says: May 10, 2013 8:14 PM

Not sure what ryan would say when asked-
    I know I am on the hot seat, everyone has been laughing at us for months-oh and now our newly drafted QB is a diva.

This is in line with
    what else is he supposed to say?

8. rhamrhoddy says: May 10, 2013 8:16 PM

Maybe not yet.

Maybe not EVER but maybe just not yet.

9. valentino8100 says: May 10, 2013 8:17 PM

Maybe a whole sleeve this time Rex?

10. joeflaccosunibrow says: May 10, 2013 8:21 PM

He said he would not be there for the second round of the draft after falling out of the first round. That was a cry baby reaction. He changed his mind after he was advised to sack-up. Then fires his agent after the draft.

And he’s not a diva? Fine. Cry baby is a better fit.

11. skoobyfl says: May 10, 2013 8:22 PM

If you want to take control of Rex’s team, you put your best foot forward.

12. agcooney108 says: May 10, 2013 8:22 PM

The steelers……how does that mean he’s a diva? He’s a QUARTERBACK!!! HE needs to make good decision making and HE needs to believe in himself to play QUARTERBACK to play in this league. Every QB talks like that.

You’re honestly just a hater on the jets and just want your 5 minutes of fame

13. huskerkid93 says: May 10, 2013 8:22 PM

Keep on hatin on Geno all you want the media has done all they can to smear him. Yesterday he was the first to report at 12:01. Surprised Cimini and Mehta didn’t accuse him of being a minute late. Smh.

14. thebigtim2012 says: May 10, 2013 8:22 PM

What exactly was he supposed to say “damn that geno is one diva d-bag”? C’mon lets think a little.

15. thesteelers says: May 10, 2013 8:24 PM

Despite Geno being a diva, he’s still better than Sanchez. I think Kordell Stewart could come out of retirement and out-perform Sanchez. Sanchez is the child that you never wanted, but just happened.

16. bminder1972 says: May 10, 2013 8:24 PM

Yeah, and Rex’s next tatto is gonna be a baby and his binkie. This is gonna be awesome to watch, lmao. #jetscircus

17. ibreathefootball says: May 10, 2013 8:24 PM

Rex and Geno are both divas!

18. cardmagnet says: May 10, 2013 8:25 PM

It takes A LOT to be considered a diva among that team. A diva anywhere else looks like a humble rookie when put in a Jets locker room.

19. thenew013 says: May 10, 2013 8:26 PM

no disrespect to the fans but i do not like the jets and co. idk if its rex or how they used tebow or how sanchez ate that weiner but they recently have come off as “show-offy” and in such bad taste i almost wanna puke. ima jags fan so feel free to hate on my squad. i do love that jet green though. that is the only thing i like about this team right now.

20. svn2011 says: May 10, 2013 8:35 PM

Yup.Rex is a good judge of a QB. He who invented the traffic light colors to help his QB.

21. rukkus1 says: May 10, 2013 8:39 PM

Rex is a diva. Revis was a diva. The media is a diva. Geno is a rookie. Let him spend some time in the frying pan before you call him cooked.

22. donmcg2012 says: May 10, 2013 8:40 PM

Like anyone believes what the foot man says. Cmon Rex, when you talk, everyone laughs.

23. ravensbob says: May 10, 2013 8:46 PM

The ny jets. The ugly red headed stepsister of ny football.

24. jetsjetsjetsnow says: May 10, 2013 8:55 PM

The last I read it you quoted like 2 anonymous sources, now your writing “Whatever Smith might have done to turn off coaches on 31 other teams doesn’t matter now. On the Jets, his coach likes him just fine”.

What a joke!!! Pretty pitiful when ya gotta make up stuff like that. So you’ve been in contact with 29 additional anonymous sources now about this? Funny very funny!! You guys are really desperate to keep this story going. Really really pathetic work ethic on your part!

25. spedman24 says: May 10, 2013 8:59 PM

Geno’s fired agents put all that garbage out there about him

26. peepeetoucher says: May 10, 2013 8:59 PM

thesteelers says: May 10, 2013 8:09 PM

In just three sentences he says I, I, I’m, my, I, myself.

Whats he supposed to say “The Geno can make good decisions, the Geno trusts himself”. How else do you answer a question about yourself about firing your agent without the word “I”? Should he of used “WE”?

27. conspiracygenerator says: May 10, 2013 9:02 PM

While all eyes will be on Geno throughout the remainder of the offseason and training camp, one player I believe will turn some heads and ultimately earn a spot on the active roster is undrafted free agent wide receiver Ryan Spadola from Lehigh. You heard it here first.

28. EJ says: May 10, 2013 9:12 PM

His showing in day 2 of the Draft didn’t change anyone’s mind, he already looked like a brat saying he wasn’t going to come back after day 1. The only reason he showed back up was because everyone called him a diva.” Once a diva, always a diva.” – Rex Ryan

29. onlyopinionthatmatters says: May 10, 2013 9:12 PM

I’m more amazed at how terrible his throwing motion looked in that picture then I am by what geno and Rex are saying..

30. ronniemundsmambo says: May 10, 2013 9:12 PM

Rex defends a poor character player and says he is not a diva??? His line about not knowing how to spot one is hilarious. See Santonio. Schotty will define it for you if still unclear.

31. citiciti says: May 10, 2013 9:13 PM

J-O-K-E …joke,joke,joke
    The Jets,Rex and Geno.

32. theytukrjobs says: May 10, 2013 9:15 PM

Smith played like a first round talent in college. Questions about his character dropped him to the second round. Overall, you should have the same expectations of him as you would any other second rounder.

Dalton dropped because of arm strength. He’s average now. Russell Wilson dropped because he suffers from dwarfism. He’s pretty darn good. Tavaris Jackson because he can’t enunciate. Mediocre at his prime.

Smith has just as much potential to be good or bad as any other 2nd round QB the way I see it. And I tell you what, I don’t give a crap what his attitude is if he goes out on Sunday and hits the WR’s between the numbers ain’t none of that other crap going to mean a whole lot.

33. tooz72 says: May 10, 2013 9:15 PM

he’s not an NFL QB either Fattie

34. watermelon1 says: May 10, 2013 9:16 PM

And people were worried about tebows mechanics? Look at that picture of geno!

35. theytukrjobs says: May 10, 2013 9:16 PM

Okay the Tavaris example was bad because he didn’t “drop” per say but still all 2nd round QB’s have their knocks is what I’m trying to get at.

I’d rather have a guy like Smith where his knocks are stuff like attitude that good coaching might mend as opposed to a dude who simply can’t play. I don’t think anyone has ever really accused Geno of being unable to generate passing offense.

36. dbfan4ever says: May 10, 2013 9:26 PM

“Geno Smith is absolutely a diva. Quick quote: “That’s what I went with. I think I’m pretty good with my decision making. So I trust myself.”

In just three sentences he says I, I, I’m, my, I, myself.”

_______________________________

Congrats this has to be one of the dumbest posts I have seen in a while! You need context bro. Anyone can string 3 sentences together and make anyone look selfish. With skills like this you must work for the NY media!

37. Stiller43 says: May 10, 2013 9:30 PM

Agcooney,

Did you seriously just say someone gets fame by making a post on pft?

38. scytherius says: May 10, 2013 9:44 PM

Well. This time next year we’ll know.

39. noodlecbs says: May 10, 2013 9:49 PM

“I never saw that at all”….

There are a lot of things you have never seen Rex.

His feet?

40. qdog112 says: May 10, 2013 9:49 PM

I know you hate to here coach say that, It doesn’t fit your narrative does it Nawrocki fans?

41. berniemadoffsides says: May 10, 2013 10:00 PM

Jets = The JV squad

42. dondiraider says: May 10, 2013 10:10 PM

smh….one practice and Ryan is already spewing ……uhg!!!

43. dlk47823 says: May 10, 2013 10:10 PM

Don’t worry birdbob- Your Ravens will be this year’s redhead….

44. slobmykolb says: May 10, 2013 10:19 PM

the steelers says;

In just three sentences he says I, I, I’m, my, I, myself.

Could it be that he was asked a direct question about himself??? Duh! Or would you rather he had said ” that’s what Geno Smith went with. Geno Smith thinks Geno Smiths pretty good with Geno Smiths decision making. So Geno Smith trusts Geno Smith.”

Actually on second thought yeah I’d rather he said it that way too

45. j0esixpack says: May 10, 2013 10:25 PM

Not to worry Jets fans.

If Geno doesn’t pan out the team is still in good shape with Sanchez as the starting QB.

46. tunescribe says: May 10, 2013 10:27 PM

I can’t wait for more clips of Rex leaving the field after a game muttering, “Unf*ckingbelievable.”

47. pats777 says: May 10, 2013 10:41 PM

Ha ha. The new third ring in the circus has arrived.

48. rubicon202 says: May 10, 2013 10:47 PM

No Rex but your word is…

49. drgfri says: May 10, 2013 10:54 PM

No diva…… Aka he’s winning to participate is serious foot rub sessions

50. harrisonhits2 says: May 10, 2013 10:59 PM

thesteelers says:

Despite Geno being a diva, he’s still better than Sanchez.
    _________________

I don’t think anyone can say how good he’ll be at the NFL level until he gets into a regular season game and the heat is on.

As it stands now there’s just as much chance he’ll be a bust as a success, just like any other rookie who hasn’t played in a real game yet.

51. astigmatism? football? why not both. says: May 10, 2013 11:00 PM

Rex Ryan deserves an “F” for this

52. hartdaddy says: May 10, 2013 11:04 PM

Look at how many people have put their names out there to defend this kid while those clowns who scrutinize Smith still hide behind that cowardly “anonymous” tag.

If that doesn’t say it all, i don’t know what else to tell you.

53. @Cereal_22 says: May 10, 2013 11:25 PM

Ready for 4-12 Jets fans ?

54. anonymousnevermindfishdeath says: May 10, 2013 11:43 PM

Give him a couple weeks. He’ll go Jets

55. NotoriousKDV says: May 10, 2013 11:47 PM

Sounds like a coach that’s been told to start Geno Smith if he wants any chance of keeping his job beyond this year.

56. GrossmanDaSexCannon says: May 10, 2013 11:54 PM

Well, I’m sure not by comparison.

57. seatownballers says: May 10, 2013 11:58 PM

Can’t say I care. I’m refusing to buy into jets/media hype

58. GenXJay says: May 11, 2013 12:06 AM

This teams national spotlight should blow over after this season. The only problem is, & jealous tah boot, the Cowboys camera hogging in 2014.

59. jrod2go says: May 11, 2013 12:08 AM

I hope Gino takes Mark’s job and then becomes Mark’s Mom’s favorite player.

60. thesteelers says: May 11, 2013 12:16 AM

___________________________________

I know this is hard for you to garner, but he says nothing. Maybe he disregards the media and focuses on his work. But, again, he is a diva so he cannot do that. He feels the need to address the media and establish HIMSELF. If he could, he probably would call himself “the Geno”.

61. inphinitejest says: May 11, 2013 12:17 AM

Who gives a poop if he’s a diva.
    Can he play?

62. seattlenative57 says: May 11, 2013 12:29 AM

And of course, the Jets know what it takes to be a successful NFL quarterback. Just look at their roster the past couple of seasons.

63. pitpenguinsrulez says: May 11, 2013 12:50 AM

New York Jets: The WWE version of The NFL

64. taintedsaints2009 says: May 11, 2013 1:13 AM

Geno Smith is just another QB the media created for hype and drama. maybe he can play. maybe he can’t. but he was specifically targeted by the media for the drama aspect. this draft class was pretty boring, and they needed to make somebody the spotlight. Geno Smith is who they picked.

now that Tebow, and Sanchez, are most likely on their way out, the media has to fill that drama void. so far, it’s working out nicely.

65. wnstonchill says: May 11, 2013 1:31 AM

The jets need to put a gag order on Rex Ryan! As Abe Lincoln once stated; “It’s better to be thought an idiot than to open one’s mouth and remove all doubt……”

66. CKL says: May 11, 2013 1:36 AM

thesteelers says:
    May 10, 2013 8:09 PM

In just three sentences he says I, I, I’m, my, I, myself.
    __________________________________
    And in this case, that’s not a bad or selfish thing to say…at all.

If he says after a game they lose, “I played well. I think I’m pretty good with my decision making. I trust myself” then he’s a diva and selfish.

67. johnnyb216 says: May 11, 2013 2:22 AM

Has anyone else ever gotten a job and not acted like a total jerk to the manager?

68. swaggyy says: May 11, 2013 2:32 AM

Pretty hilarious how Geno and Rex are making a media circus about nothing already. The pressure is just building and building like Sanchez. Yikes just look at the pic above. That is an ugly throwing motion. Looks like a right handed Tebow. I bet you could find a better QB on the METS

69. thetooloftools says: May 11, 2013 3:31 AM

This guy is going to make them wish they had kept T-)—->

70. madsqgrdn says: May 11, 2013 4:34 AM

@Cereal_22 says:
    May 10, 2013 11:25 PM
    Ready for 4-12 Jets fans ?

————————–

No jet fans here. Just us lame haters that have nothing better to do…

71. tdbragg says: May 11, 2013 5:56 AM

As a West Virginian who saw and attended quite a few Mountaineer football games , I can tell you Geno Smith was a model team mate and student while at WVU . The diva attitude that everyone is labeling this kid with simply never happened . He was loved by his team mates and the coaches never had a problem of any kind with him . As far as firing his agents , that was his right . He wasnt happy with the service he was getting , and he made a change . That doesnt make him an awful person , the way the media portrays it . Bottom line , let the kid get his feet wet , learn the Jets system and see how he does . Anyone , deserves that chance .

72. lrjets says: May 11, 2013 6:01 AM

The “critics” here are amazing. If you truly knew the game, you’d shut up and let the kid at least attend his second practice.
    Eli hit a tackilng dummy at his first rookie practice.
    Take a look at Peyton and Aikman’s first year records.

Loving the critics who identified their teams by their names.
    The Patriot fans have a thing or three to worry about.
    Steeler fans?
    At halftime, they’ll play “The Way We Were”.
    Keep on deflecting folks.

73. cool10857 says: May 11, 2013 6:03 AM

Rex Ryan: “Maybe I don’t know what a good QB looks like.” Duh, you think?

74. hehateme2 says: May 11, 2013 7:34 AM

the jets are a laughingstock. Get used to it. 4-12.

75. prideof10000lakes says: May 11, 2013 8:40 AM

I can’t believe how much press and attention such a bad team gets. ESPN must get paid by the jets for how much they talk and hype such bad teams.

76. njsteeler says: May 11, 2013 9:05 AM

LMAO, the 2 people that commented about the picture, and his throwing motion are clueles. It is a picture, and chold be that it was just snapped at the wrong time. I haven’t heard of any issuer with his mechanics, yet you two experts in the art of QB detected a flaw in the guys throwing motion.

77. jlambert58 says: May 11, 2013 9:06 AM

I guess Rex isn’t going to be putting his foot in his mouth this year.

Oh wait, that’s other people’s feet……

78. bucnasty says: May 11, 2013 9:26 AM

The next Vincent young…

79. immafubared says: May 11, 2013 10:06 AM

Rex why can’t you button your dam lip and let the kid be Geno. He is either going to be a bust or a bargain.

He could surprise people either way. I personnally think he needs to grow up. Maybe the NFL with toughen him up and make a man out of him and maybe it won’t. Geno’s problem may be that he finds in his new world he doesn’t rule the roost.

80. harry1941 says: May 11, 2013 10:34 AM

Steelers, NE, Bills and Miami, yo going down.

Go Jets

81. fissels says: May 11, 2013 10:36 AM

I guess that since the Tim Tebow saga is slowing down, we’ll be getting daily updates on Geno Smith

82. webofbelief says: May 11, 2013 10:46 AM

I really don’t see how anyone could look objectively at the treatment of players like Geno Smith and Cam Newton by the media/fans and not agree with what Warren Moon has been saying.

After Newton was drafted, the number of times on football forums that he was called dumb (“dumb as a box of rocks”, etc.) was truly shocking. The truth is that he scored higher on the Wonderlic than Jake Locker and yet no one ever calls him dumb. Hmm, I wonder what the difference is?

And the worst thing Newton did last year was get a little sucky after losing some tough games, and what was the result? The PFT folks actually come out and say that that the incoming GM in Carolina will have a big decision to make about whether their going to *keep* him, which is just bizarre.

As for this Geno Smith thing, it is so obviously a non-story. Oksay, so he focuses too much on his cell phone. Doesn’t that pretty much describe 99.9% of all other people in the world, including those who were probably making the criticism? Oh, and apparently he was upset about not being drafted in the first round. (I’m shocked!) Meanwhile Brady (and I’m not criticizing here) goes on T.V. and actually cries while recounting his draft experience and no one says anything.

Black quarterbacks are here to stay. Get over it.

83. shayeezy says: May 11, 2013 10:50 AM

not a jets fan, but i am looking forward to the mindless geno haters eat crow.

84. kgun80 says: May 11, 2013 10:55 AM

If he wasn’t playing for the Jets I would be rooting for the kid to prove people wrong. Looking at it objectively the kids getting a raw deal from the media. Give him a chance, he’ll have 2-3 year to prove if he’s a bust or not. If your going to criticize the kid criticize him about his throwing motion and the fact that he made a lot of dump passes to pad his stats.

That being said as a Bills fan I hope he sucks, and sets the Jets back even further then they are.

85. jonslaugh18 says: May 11, 2013 11:10 AM

What a dumb article. What do you think he’s going to say? It’s not like Rex would admit to it if he knew he drafted a diva.

86. plymouth11 says: May 11, 2013 11:22 AM

Personally I am pulling for Geno Smith at this point. The Jets were good under Rex because their D was great and covered for Sanchez mediocrity. When the D fell off it exposed how bad Sanchez was. Geno is a completely different skillset than Sanchez and will be able to make some plays that Sanchez can’t so I hope Jets coaches bring him along right and give him the chance to succeed. At the same time I expect the Jets D to be much improved this year, giving whoever is at qb a better chance.

87. damcmp says: May 11, 2013 12:09 PM

Ryan should know what a Diva looks like…..

88. dolphinatic13 says: May 11, 2013 12:14 PM

I’m pretty sure that the only part of Geno’s game that Rex really cares about is his “footwork”

89. cmdrsmooth says: May 11, 2013 12:23 PM

Tom Brady is a Diva. Worked out fine for Pats. Why the double standard?

90. chazzmon says: May 11, 2013 12:43 PM

What’s the over under for lame foot jokes in any Rex Ryan story? 4 maybe?

91. stonefish67 says: May 11, 2013 12:55 PM

N ot a Diva?
    Cut him.
    Everyone in that circus is a diva

92. clk320cpe says: May 11, 2013 1:44 PM

@webofbelief

Has nothing to do with black Qb’s.

Brady was a SIXTH round pick & has won 3 SB’s while playing in 5.

Eli was called dumb & aw,schucks before he won a 2-SB’s. Terry Bradshaw was called dumb multiple times before winning 4 SB’s. Steve Young was criticized for his attitude in SF before winning a SB. Jim Plunkett was called horrible things before landing in Oakland & winning 2 SB’s.

As for PFT speculating as to Newton’s future with Carolina, that’s what the media does. What if & maybe’s…after all this started as & one of the great things about PFT is how they try to keep that rumor mill going after all this time. It’s just sports talk!

Cam didn’t act like a team player after the losing streak last year, bottom line. Pouting & saying because you weren’t drafted in the first round you are taking your ball & going home gets ripped apart dude. You don’t think the same thing would have happened to Brady Quinn if he hadn’t been selected & pulled the same baby BS after the round ended?? Seriously?? Matt Barkley was projected to go in the first round, do you see any of that from him? Let Cam & Geno win a couple of SB’s. And stop bringing up things that just don’t exist.

93. zeke2517 says: May 11, 2013 2:04 PM

“In just three sentences he says I, I, I’m, my, I, myself.”

Do you know what context is?

94. zeke2517 says: May 11, 2013 2:05 PM

“N ot a Diva?
    Cut him.
    Everyone in that circus is a diva”

You didn’t even pretend to think before you wrote that, did you?

95. deflateddome says: May 11, 2013 2:53 PM

I really don’t think Geno will be much of a QB. Pouts too much when things go bad. The Jet’s best hope is Gerrard. I love the Milliner and Richardson pick.

96. lrjets says: May 11, 2013 4:11 PM

onlyopinionthatmatters says:May 10, 2013 9:12 PM

Yeah, it’s real easy to detect “motion” from a still picture.
    Look up the word (or have someone ) “motion”.
    After that, back to the dayroom, they’re having chocolate pudding today.

97. lrjets says: May 11, 2013 4:14 PM

dolphinatic13 says:May 11, 2013 12:14 PM

I’m more than pretty sure, the Dolphins will have 6 blackouts this season.
    Except when they play the Jets!

98. peepeetoucher says: May 11, 2013 5:21 PM

thesteelers says: May 11, 2013 12:16 AM

—————————————————-
    It’s not hard for me to garner, its just not reality to think that. How do you avoid the media when its a mandatory NFL rule that he must be made available to them (the first time since being drafted)? You can’t just ignore all questions and go hide in the corner when your a pro athlete (especially in NY). LMAO @ you acting like he called his own press conference cuz he felt the need to address the media and establish himself. Your reality is distorted by your hate on either Geno, Jets or both.

99. spedman24 says: May 12, 2013 12:29 AM

Can’t wait for this guy to dominate just like he did in CFB

100. boscoesworld says: May 12, 2013 3:13 PM

The sentence should have just said: Rex Ryan has no idea. That pretty much sums up sexy rexy.