Rondé takes high road regarding possibility he was nudged out

Barber AP

The Buccaneers at all times made it clear that they wanted cornerback Rondé Barber to return for a 17th season.  And that they were in no hurry whatsoever for him to make a decision.

And then as Barber took his time to make a decision, the Buccaneers signed safety Dashon Goldson in free agency, traded for cornerback Darrelle Revis, reworked the contract of cornerback Eric Wright, and drafted cornerback Jonathan Banks in round two.

So in the aftermath of free agency and the draft, the message became more and more clear.  Sure, the Bucs would have given Rondé a spot on the roster, but they wouldn’t necessarily have given him a spot on the field.

To his credit, Barber isn’t complaining.  While he has said that he would have returned if the team had made a Favre-style pitch (our words, not Barber’s), Barber has not hinted at any concerns regarding the changes the Bucs made to the secondary while Barber was making up his mind.

“We had some discussions about what [my role] might be but I went into last year under the same circumstances,” Barber told Erik Kuselias on Thursday night’s edition of Pro Football Talk.  “I knew they were going to make some moves in free agency.  They were going to go get a cornerback that they thought was going to be a starter and that my role was going to change and it would work itself out and they were very open about it and they were the same way this year.  So if I would’ve came back I’m not sure where I would’ve fit into that puzzle when we signed two pretty outstanding players, Goldson at safety and Revis at corner.

“Eric Wright signed another deal to come back or restructured his deal to be back with us so I’m not sure where I would’ve fit in.  It would have played itself out and I’m sure if I would’ve decided to continue to play I would’ve been happy with whatever role that I would’ve landed in but as it stands nobody has to worry about that decision.  It was time for me to move on.  It was a personal decision, there were a lot of factors that weighed into it but I’m happy to be going on to what’s next for me.”

Barber also continued to take the high road on a separate topic.  Twin brother Tiki remains confounded by the fact that people hate him but love Rondé.

“He asked me that question this morning,” Rondé said of Tiki.  “I didn’t give a good answer this morning and I probably can’t give a good answer now but you know he played in a city that honestly loves to hate their athletes after their done.  They want to prop you up and they also want to bring you down.  I lived in a city that celebrates unconditionally their heroes.  Tampa’s a small town or at least has a small town feel and when you become one of their icons; you’ll always be an icon.  It’s not necessarily that way up there.”

That’s not entirely accurate, as Gantt pointed out on Thursday.  The two brothers handle their business differently.  Indeed, what would Tiki have done if instead of grandstanding his retirement in a way that undermined the Giants’ 2006 season he waited until the offseason to make a decision and meanwhile the Giants signed, traded for, and drafted three other running backs?

Tiki would have been, yes, flabbergasted.

He’ll likely be even more flabbergasted if Rondé ultimately thrives as a member of the media in his post-football life.

This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Permalink 33 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New York Giants, Rumor Mill, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Top Stories
33 Responses to “Rondé takes high road regarding possibility he was nudged out”
  1. micknangold says: May 10, 2013 9:36 AM

You didn’t expect Ronde to blame his own twin brother (through the media no less), did you?

2. natejthompson says: May 10, 2013 9:42 AM

Class act

3. realpro14 says: May 10, 2013 9:45 AM

Ronde knew the pain wasn’t worth the money..trust me, no-one is turning down 2 or 3 million especially when they are not playing much…they offered him veteran coach/player $…

4. 10elite says: May 10, 2013 9:47 AM

Once Tiki got his fumbling under control, Giants fans loved him. He shot himself in the foot (Plax’ed himself in the leg?) with his comments about Eli after he retired. If Ronde gets a roll in the media, and immediately starts ripping apart the Bucs team and their locker room, like Tiki did, we’ll see how long Tampa loves him.

5. jerseyshoregiant says: May 10, 2013 9:48 AM

Not surprised Rhonde is as big a tool as Tiki.

6. unbiasfan says: May 10, 2013 9:50 AM

When Tampa Bay signed Dashon Goldson and traded for Darelle Revis they subliminally asking Ronde to retire

7. leftyman says: May 10, 2013 9:51 AM

Tiki is flabbergasted at these latest developments.

8. ninerfan81 says: May 10, 2013 9:52 AM

Be happy you’re leaving with all of your senses and at least a decent stride to your step. After 240 or so consecutive games, a SB, it’s time my friend, you’re classy and intelligent and you can use those talents to benefit a greater good. Tiki btw is basically getting what he deserves unfortunately.

9. GrossmanDaSexCannon says: May 10, 2013 9:54 AM

“OH MY GOD SHUT UP TIKI! I don’t know, so just let me live my retirement in PEACE.”

(All siblings fight)

10. jeagan1999 says: May 10, 2013 9:58 AM

As much as I have loved having Ronde on the Bucs these last 16 years, the time was right for him to walk away. He has his records and a shot at the HOF, the Bucs secondary (and entire defense for that matter) is much stronger with Revis, Goldson, Baron, etc…, and Ronde is still healthy and concussion free. I’m still amazazed that a guy as small as Ronde could have played the physical style he played for all those years, and not missed a game for 15 years! Most NFL layers have a hard enough time getting through 16 games without injury….Ronde was a true Ironman!

11. terraj35 says: May 10, 2013 10:01 AM

If Tiki were in Ronde’s spot, he would’ve bashed the bucs in his retirement press conference. Even knowing he’s lost a step, he would’ve let his ego take over…That’s why people dont like Tiki.

12. richkotitte says: May 10, 2013 10:02 AM

Perhaps Ronde’ will get a job in sports commentary, and if he wants to take a day off Tiki can substitute. But when he gets a sour attitude and repeatedly drops the ‘f’ word, we will all know whe he is really just flabbergasted with who HE is!!

13. buccaboo says: May 10, 2013 10:07 AM

Ronde= Simply, THE BEST. We love our Ronde and always will. I’ll continue to wear #20 to the games.

14. fusstr8tedfinfan says: May 10, 2013 10:18 AM

It appears the Bucs have been slowly rebuilding a defense that was as good as any back in the early 2000s. I don’t know how many points their offense will score but it might not have to be many if their defense plays as well as expected.

15. gtskyrider says: May 10, 2013 10:21 AM

It was time for him to go, go out knowing you still have some game…not faded glory! I hope he makes it into the hall of fame…gonna miss you Ronde and will cherish those good times!

16. gaadr says: May 10, 2013 10:37 AM

Having listened to his weekly radio show, Ronde is going to be outstanding on TV/radio. I was always interested in what he had to say. He was refreshingly blunt, but always polite and even-handed about it.

17. alewatcher says: May 10, 2013 10:44 AM

Tiki is the evil twin, which is why no one likes him.

18. cromags says: May 10, 2013 10:49 AM

NYC is still in love with flawed guys like LT, Namath, Gooden, Strawberry that won titles. The Gmen won the title only after Tiki left, all the while he was throwing stones – that’s why he doesn’t get the love those other guys do.

19. canadianbucsfan says: May 10, 2013 11:02 AM

Watched Barber over the years.. he was never a freaky athlete (5’10 185) but this guy put a bunch of dedication and effort into his film study and his preperation that he was able to be a good football player for 16 years. Considering he switched to a new position last year, was in his 16th year he put up some pretty impressive stats. 48 ints 28 sacks.. HOF

20. gochargersgo says: May 10, 2013 11:14 AM

While Ronde takes the high road, Tiki needs to take notes.

21. petedutcher says: May 10, 2013 11:33 AM

Wow…What I’m seeing here is a bunch of people coming down on Tiki for coming down on other people.

And at the same time, you’re acting just like the things you accuse him of.

My thought is that Ronde Barber is the perfect example of a male role model, and is a clear picture of what each player should strive to be like.

22. jm91rs says: May 10, 2013 11:39 AM

What’s the difference between Tiki saying I’m retiring after this year and Strahan doing the same thing the super bowl year? And Strahan held out.

Tiki is unlikable for his personal life problems, his failure in the media, and his Giants bashing after he left. Saying he’s not liked because his retirement announcement under-minded the Giants season is false.

I would say that most of what Ronde said is right, NY vs Tampa Bay. Tampa Bay is the more forgiving town. And I doubt Ronde will be throwing any stones on his way out of town.

23. chazzmon says: May 10, 2013 11:47 AM

Class act and had a great career!

24. tampabaydon says: May 10, 2013 11:48 AM

Growing up in the area & working very closely with the Bucs’ organization for 3 yrs. now, I have not heard anyone speak negatively of Ronde. He is a class act on & off the field & will be missed greatly.Other than looks, he should NEVER be compared to Tiki PERIOD. I’m not sure how many stories jerseyshoregiant heard about Ronde up in jersey. However, the fact that he can’t even spell the guys name correctly, confirms both his lack of credibility & intelligence.

25. olcap says: May 10, 2013 11:50 AM

Classy dude, one of the classiest players ever in the NFL. We’ll miss ya Ronde!

26. wareagletampa says: May 10, 2013 12:54 PM

fusstr8tedfinfan says:
    May 10, 2013 10:18 AM

———————————————–

Bucs offense was #13 last season. And they just happen to adding 2 All-pro guards to their line this season.

27. odessabucs says: May 10, 2013 1:32 PM

He was ready to say goodbye. Don’t be surprised if he ends up with a nice gig on the new FOX Sports 1.

28. sethb222 says: May 10, 2013 2:28 PM

High Road???

NO! That was Talib… lol

29. kingpel says: May 10, 2013 2:34 PM

He is washed up and a liability back there in coverage. This “retirement” is years overdue.

30. blackfoot11 says: May 10, 2013 3:04 PM

He is the consummate pro and doesn’t need to engage in a war of words. He was the only one on the roster that knew what it actually takes to hoist the Lombardi. Enjoy retirement Ronde.

31. rcampore says: May 10, 2013 3:09 PM

____________________________________

You are completely wrong if why you think Giants fans dislike Tiki. No one was mad at him because he decided to retire and announce it mid season. If he would have retired and went on his way, Giants fans would have embraced him completely.

The one and only reason us fans can’t stand him is because during his retirement season and all year after it, he basically bashed the Giants and specifically our QB and our Coach every chance he could. He acted like he was above the team and people should worship him.

While Tiki was great for the team, he is not above the team. I love the Giants not just one player.

There are plenty of other flawed players out there that NY fans still love. LT, Petite, Strawberry…etc. They are still loved because why they made mistakes off the field, they were always loyal to their team and it’s fans.

32. Duckhomie says: May 10, 2013 3:13 PM

This man is a class act. Players new to the NFL need to pattern themselves after him.

33. tampa2betterthanyou says: May 10, 2013 5:43 PM

At one point or another, the Bucs had to prepare for life after Ronde. They saw the writing on the wall: if it wasn’t going to be this season, then it would be next season. It just happens that this year the opportunities presented themselves that they stacked the deck against him. It’s not like he was in his prime, he was in the twilight of his career. I’d much rather the Bucs be well prepared for life without him than have him retire and leave them in a lurch. I’m definitely going to miss seeing him on the field… He was definitely a playmaker and a ballhawk.