That sly Rex uses media to send message to Coples

Quinton Coples AP

Jets coach Rex Ryan took a not-so-subtle swipe at second-year pass-rusher Quinton Coples Friday, saying he was disappointed in last year’s first round pick.

If Quinton doesn’t do a better job in the weight room he might have to, . . . he’s got to compete like anybody else for a job,” said Ryan, via Seth Walder of the New York Daily News. “So I’m a little disappointed in Q in the weight room in the last day.”

Let’s be honest, it’s not like the Jets are going to cut Coples or anything.

Coples was hounded by work ethic questions coming out of college, and Ryan was obviously trying to use public shaming as motivation, saying he was generally pleased with the player’s work.

“He’s been doing great, but any time I’ve got a chance to get him, I’m going to,” Ryan said. “I expect so much for him, if he lets up a little bit we’re going to make sure he knows about it.”

The Jets need Coples to respond, as they’re moving him to outside linebacker, and they need a more consistent effort from that position.

Permalink 30 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New York Jets, Rumor Mill
30 Responses to “That sly Rex uses media to send message to Coples”
  1. inyofaceagain says: May 10, 2013 3:19 PM

Rex thinks hes sly and cute.

Surprised real Jets fans don’t call for this guys head.

2. mec693 says: May 10, 2013 3:22 PM

that kid had 5.5 sacks as a rookie and could easily have 10 this year on ability alone.. if he put in 2 hours 6 days a week like most professional athletes the sky would by the limit. I hope he learns quick cause he’ll waste his healthy youth years faster than he thinks

3. dalcow4 says: May 10, 2013 3:24 PM

lol—– If it was Belicheat off-handedly mentioning that to a reporter– everyone would be saying that the move was pure genius.

4. cliverush says: May 10, 2013 3:25 PM

The difference between the Jets and winning teams continues to grow. This statement by Coach Ryan is an example. On winning teams every player has to compete to retain their job. BB in NE tells every player on the team that they are all equal regardless of how they arrived. All players are told they must win the job in the training camp/ pre-season time period.

5. spideysdog says: May 10, 2013 3:27 PM

smart moveby Rex. someone must be whispering in his ear.

6. coucheducation says: May 10, 2013 3:28 PM

Just a motivation tactic. Did the same thing last year with Kerley and that worked out pretty well

7. alexb1234 says: May 10, 2013 3:28 PM

Rex has been playing mind games with his players for years through the media….he always uses the media either for mind games OR when he says something crazy to take the attention off his players and to put it on him which takes the pressure off of the players….

8. multiplemiggs says: May 10, 2013 3:29 PM

Rex Ryan is a genious who will win 3 Super Bowls as Head coach of the New York Jets. Mark. My. Words.

9. tedmurph says: May 10, 2013 3:31 PM

Sly message for Rex; keep you resume updated.

10. scoops1 says: May 10, 2013 3:32 PM

Vernon Gholston part deux

11. captainwisdom8888 says: May 10, 2013 3:32 PM

I am significantly surprised that both Rex Ryan and Mark Sanchez actually have jobs in this league, let alone for the same team that they have consistently failed with time and time again. I would HATE to be a Jets fan….

12. steeelfann says: May 10, 2013 3:41 PM

Maybe Rex should use another media method to contact Coples, heck maybe a swinger site? I know that has got attention from others.

13. jpb12 says: May 10, 2013 3:43 PM

In other news… Belichick still thinks Tebow sucks

14. micknangold says: May 10, 2013 3:47 PM

I’m a “real” Jets fan and I love Rex. The people who think he should be fired just don’t like when he runs his mouth, but the fact is his defenses are consistently in the top ten, even this 6-10 team. He’s a good coach and if Geno Smith plays well and we can run the ball effectively we can turn it around in a hurry. J E T S JETS JETS JETS

15. 6ball says: May 10, 2013 3:48 PM

I believe he was the 16th pick in the draft. Rex should expect him to be a strong contributor.

The same goes for Patriots first rounders Jones and Hightower. They’re expected to carry their weight.

16. tedmurph says: May 10, 2013 3:48 PM

Sensitive yets fans today. I guess when you’re passed by Miami and Buff, it’s gotta hurt. Maybe that guy’s right; Rex is a ‘genious’, just like the fans. Think I’ll fly to Vegas and look into those 3 SBs

17. firstand4ever says: May 10, 2013 3:52 PM

Very Parcells like move by Rex. Tuna had a knack for taking digs at players he expected the most from. Ask Curtis Martin.

I remember towards the end of the 1998 season, Parcells put an empty gas cannister in front of Bryan Cox’s locker to insinuate that the veteran was not going to be able to sustain his high level of play.

Coples had a very good rookie season. Rex is trying to get the most out of him.

18. mrsryansfamoustoejam says: May 10, 2013 3:55 PM

My Rexy never dances around when trying to make a point!

19. kd75 says: May 10, 2013 3:56 PM

Coples must have pretty feet.

20. kingpel says: May 10, 2013 4:01 PM

Too bad someone in the Jets front office wouldn’t start doing the same thing to Rex whenever he causes an unnecessary distraction.

21. kolbydoerge says: May 10, 2013 4:01 PM

Rex/Jets are jokes.
    If you want to send a message do it like Pete Carroll, tell him in front if his teamster and only ask for one thing. Accountability. PERIOD.
    Hawks don’t play mind games, that’s why we have zero drama!
    GoHawks!

22. micknangold says: May 10, 2013 4:04 PM

Sensitve or pissed off that people are constantly trashing the team and the fans? I hate the Dolphins and the Patriots but I have good friends that are fans of both. Most of the people who hate the Jets probably have never had a conversation with a fan. We’re not all like the fat moron screaming at Joe Andruzzi.

23. bilnicki62 says: May 10, 2013 4:20 PM

micknangold says:
    May 10, 2013 3:47 PM

As a fellow Jets fab I understand the statement and too think we’ll be better than most think. But when you run your mouth for 4 years straight…well 3 really, and you produce two crappy seasons in a row, you have to think…what am I doing wrong. Turning his attention to the offense would be a start.

24. citiciti says: May 10, 2013 4:45 PM

J-E-T-S are a J-O-K-E!

25. onbucky96 says: May 10, 2013 4:54 PM

Fire Rex! Rex makes Foot Fetish Pics! FREAK!

26. nofaceangler718 says: May 10, 2013 5:05 PM

“but the fact is his defenses are consistently in the top ten, even this 6-10 team.”
    -micknangold

I am a true Jets fan and I watch every game 2-3 times. If you really believe the stats and feel this defense is a top 10 or in any way intimidating you don’t know football. This defense never gets the job done in crunch time. The only time this defense was dominant was when Jenkins was ripping it up at DT for 10 or so games in year 1. After that hey have been mediocre at best. Rex makes his hay bullying bad offenses with completely inexperienced QBs. Other than his run in the playoffs Rex has been awful. They never won big season games and last year’s defense was never tested in a high stakes game where the other team was good and really needed to score.

27. sdb0ltz says: May 10, 2013 5:28 PM

First off I must admit I hate hate HATE Rex Ryan… that said I really liked what he said there. Very honest. Put the guy on blast but at the same time made it known its because they know how great the guy could be with the proper efforts.

Kind of like a positive criticism. Well played Rex. Well played.

28. larrydavid7000 says: May 10, 2013 5:51 PM

Rex your disappointed at Copland. Now that’s calling the kettle black. You Pathedic loser of a coach. You only have a job because your owner is as dumb as you are. Have another snack and play like a LOSER.!!!!!!!

29. jrcoop says: May 10, 2013 11:33 PM

Sly Rex needs to make sure Geno gets # 16. That makes for an easy correction of his tattoo once Sanchize is waved.

Too bad about Coples, it’s almost impossible to change lazy.

30. cool10857 says: May 11, 2013 6:05 AM

Couples is just another draft pick bust by the Jets.