Tyler Eifert already has multiple roles in Bengals’ offense

Tyler Eifert AP

Tyler Eifert has been with the Bengals for all of one day of practice, but he already plays an important part in Cincinnati’s offense. Actually, multiple important parts.

Eifert, the tight end the Bengals took in the first round of the NFL draft, said after the first day of rookie minicamp that he’s going to be a lot more than just a tight end.

“A lot of the things I’m learning are a lot of the same plays we had in with two tight ends — move me around in different positions,” Eifert said. “Today I was out in the slot quite a bit. I think I’m picking it up pretty fast.”

Eifert was working as a hybrid tight end and slot receiver on Friday and he said the Bengals’ offense came naturally to him.

“I think I picked it up better than I thought I would at first,” Eifert said. “It’s not a whole lot, but it’s definitely something new for me. I’m catching on pretty quickly and moving around quite a bit.”

Bengals coach Marvin Lewis agreed with Eifert’s self assessment.

[Eifert] is as advertised,” Lewis said, via Joe Reedy of the Cincinnati Enquirer. “What I was most impressed with is how he did a great job in the running game and the techniques he’s being taught. I know he can run and catch, and turn get-back shoulder plays and all those kinds of things that you have to do in tight spots in the NFL. I know he can do all that. But the other stuff was impressive today.”

One rookie minicamp practice isn’t much to go on, but all indications are that the Bengals have big plans for what Eifert can do.

Permalink 38 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cincinnati Bengals, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
38 Responses to “Tyler Eifert already has multiple roles in Bengals’ offense”
  1. canadianbucsfan says: May 11, 2013 10:35 AM

Eifert will be a beast for the Bengals. Dude is great at going up and getting the ball.

2. wryly1 says: May 11, 2013 10:38 AM

3. shogunassasin30 says: May 11, 2013 10:45 AM

I’m pretty much a ND honk so a little biased but I’d like to think i’m fairly objective as well. I can promise Bengal fans that they got themselves a really REALLY good player. Run and catch wise he’s like Gronk, but he’s not a der der doofus like Gronk. Because, you know, he went to Notre Dame :-D

4. peytonwantsaflag says: May 11, 2013 10:46 AM

“TE will play an increased role in Bengals offense because even with AJ Green, Dalton is limited as a verical passing threat.”
    ————————

Yeah, right, that’s why Brady, roethlessberger and the rest are using them too.

5. logicallionsvoice says: May 11, 2013 10:47 AM

Tyler Eifert is no Brandon Pettigrew

#notgoodenoughtobealion

#16-0 super bowl champs

#restore the roar

6. droyer85 says: May 11, 2013 10:49 AM

Might be the next Jimmy Graham

7. harrisonhits2 says: May 11, 2013 10:51 AM

Sounds like he’s a similar player to Aaron Hernandez

8. bigdaddybullwhip says: May 11, 2013 10:58 AM

The Red Rifle may not be the franchise quarterback of the Bengals future, but with all this talent he’s going to look like one. Watch out Texans not this year.

9. joetoronto says: May 11, 2013 11:04 AM

No need for speedy WR’s on that team, noodle arm can’t get him the ball anyway.

10. cincy85 says: May 11, 2013 11:05 AM

i cant wait to see this offence

11. peytonsneck18 says: May 11, 2013 11:06 AM

bengals blow!!!

12. peytonwantsaflag says: May 11, 2013 11:23 AM

Hey joe, trolling is bad enough but trolling on the Bengals is really pathetic.

13. packerfan12 says: May 11, 2013 11:33 AM

I watched him play at Notre Dame, and he would actually line-up as a receiver. I was very surprised when they took him, but not only are they going to use him as a tight end, they’re going to line him up to create mismatches. Overall, I think this was a good pick, helps out Dalton, A.J and that offense. I personally think the AFC North is up for grabs, and as of right now I think the Bengals are going to win it.

14. logicalvoiccsays says: May 11, 2013 11:34 AM

Pathetic.. simply pathetic.

The Tigercats need two first round scrub tight ends to play up to the level of big Freddy D. Mr. Snyder is smart enough to let just one elite tight end to fall into his lap in round 2 instead of taking multiple mediocre tight ends early. How proud my boyfriend and I are to be part of such a glorious organization.

#elitemanagement #kingsofDC #superbowlbound #RGbeastmode

15. sfniners4life says: May 11, 2013 11:37 AM

I love what the bengals have done in the post chad and Carson diva era. Nothing but smart picks and def is underrated. I expect a big year from then this year and getting past wildcard round. I would love to see another niners vs bengals game.

16. andrewproughcfe says: May 11, 2013 11:53 AM

Too bad Dalton locks onto his receivers all the time – AFC North safeties are going to get just as many of his weak interceptions with or without Eifert on the field.

17. boswivel says: May 11, 2013 12:05 PM

Sounds like Tyler Eifert is what Tim Tebow should be.

18. bigassbiscuit says: May 11, 2013 12:20 PM

Go-fer,waterboy…etc. How many roles can the man have already? I imagine this young man will be a great TE in the league for years to come, but ffs will the media give it a rest with speculation, he has played a single snap yet.

19. youalldrinkhaterade says: May 11, 2013 12:27 PM

Zach Ertz will have a better career…

20. ravensbob says: May 11, 2013 12:27 PM

As a Ravens fan, this is who I wanted Baltimore to get. He is Dave Casper with size.

21. palmercp9 says: May 11, 2013 12:40 PM

Red had as many 40+ yd completions as Falco last year (12), more than Brady (8), Stafford (9), Peyton (7), Matt Ryan (10)…

Hines Ward still sucks.

22. ampatsisahypocrite says: May 11, 2013 1:10 PM

Hines Ward will one day be in the Hall of Fame.

Carson Palmer will one day be in the Hall of Quitters.

23. droyer85 says: May 11, 2013 1:15 PM

palmercp9 says:
    May 11, 2013 12:40 PM

Matt Ryan doesn’t even count on that, he has 2 top 10 receivers, no one else on that list does. They make him look better than he is.

24. pskotte says: May 11, 2013 1:20 PM

andrewproughcfe:

Can’t wait to see all the 5″10″ AFCN safeties try to cover 6″5″ Eifert. He’s going to eat them up.

25. ahostiletakeover says: May 11, 2013 1:23 PM

Afyer another pair of a solid drafts, it looks like the AFC North will come down to Baltimore and Cincinnati again.

26. bionicpeter says: May 11, 2013 1:46 PM

What you get from Notre Dame is smart talented players thanks to today’s coaching staff.

27. buffalobills4ever says: May 11, 2013 1:51 PM

Rookie of the year?

28. mazblast says: May 11, 2013 2:33 PM

He seems awfully fond of the word “I”.

29. johnnyb1976 says: May 11, 2013 2:47 PM

Pettigrew is no Jermaine Gresham

#Dontphuckwithabengal

WHO DEY!!

30. deflateddome says: May 11, 2013 2:49 PM

logicallionsvoice says:
    May 11, 2013 10:47 AM
    Tyler Eifert is no Brandon Pettigrew

#notgoodenoughtobealion

#16-0 super bowl champs

#restore the roar

————————

And Schwartz is no Marvin Lewis. He will be gone after this year. Eifert will be a stud.

31. kazkal says: May 11, 2013 2:59 PM

“””No need for speedy WR’s on that team, noodle arm can’t get him the ball anyway.”””

You and anyone else callin Dalton a noodle arm is a retard,He over throws AJ at time the problem isn’t strength but accuracy on his deep ball…Sure he’s not packing a howitzer but he also isn’t chad pennington.

32. nbooat says: May 11, 2013 3:54 PM

Joetoronto has been trolling Bengals posts since Palmer trade. He is a Raiders fan and a total loser. Dalton is better than every QB Jokeland has had in last 10 years. Raiders fans shouldn’t be running their mouths at a franchise that exploits their weaknesses as overtly as Cincy does.

33. ranoversquarells says: May 11, 2013 3:59 PM

He may try to imitate the Aaron Hernandez role, but something tells me he won’t be able to replicate it.

34. andrewproughcfe says: May 11, 2013 4:09 PM

palmercp9 says:
    May 11, 2013 12:40 PM

==============================

I’ll bet Brady and Ryan were real impressed with Dalton’s 16 INT’s last year his road wildcard loss to the Texans.

Face it, in his first two seasons he’s thrown 13 INTs against AFC North opponents, and threw more in his second year than in his first. They’ve totally figured him out.

35. farvite says: May 11, 2013 6:16 PM

Steeler fans; obnoxious and intolerable for over a decade.

36. wtgriffin says: May 11, 2013 6:55 PM

I’ll bet Brady and Ryan don’t care, because they are busy trying to win a Superbowl. Only losers that no lives and troll articles about other teams care about that.

37. hitdog042 says: May 12, 2013 9:25 AM

People who rip on Dalton are clueless. Show me a QB who started as a rookie and 2nd year, 32 games who had 47 TD /29 int w a qb rating if 84 both years combined. One who improved in every category from year 1 to 2 albeit a few more int.

A QB who has made the playoffs both seasons.

Thought so. The list is very short. And Dalton is on it.

Seriously people. Name the QBs who can claim that.

His stats are favorable to the greats who actually started as rookies. Look it up and stop showing lack of intelligence.

38. redpillmindstate says: May 12, 2013 6:12 PM

I love to see so many trolls…… They KNOW perpetual ass whoopings are coming for years to come from WHO DEY! …. and all we do now is reload and go harder SB bound!