Chip Kelly’s fast practices include eclectic soundtrack

Chip Kelly AP

Earlier today, we noticed a stream of tweets from writers covering the open portion of Monday’s first OTA practice for the Eagles under coach Chip Kelly.  Many were pointing out the music blaring while the players put in work.

The folks at CrossingBroad.com have listed the entire 24-tune soundtrack, giving the zealous Eagles fans the recipe for the ultimate iPod playlist.

From AC/DC’s Thunderstruck to Van Halen’s Panama to Duran Duran’s Hungry Like The Wolf to 2Pac’s California Love to Haddaway’s What Is Love? to the current Icona Pop hit I Love It, there’s an apparent method to Kelly’s evident madness.

“There’s a lot of science behind it but I’ve got 12 minutes left in this thing so I can’t really get into the details of it but there’s some science behind it,” Kelly told reporters after practice.  “We’ve used it for a while.”

Kelly said that his penchant for up-tempo practices started long ago, at the lower levels of college football.

“It started when we were at New Hampshire and then as I moved to Oregon, it was a little different when I was a coordinator and then changed a little bit more when I became the head coach,” Kelly said.  “We want to be efficient in our time, we don’t want to be on the field for a long time, want to maximize the time we’re on the field, and obviously you see us go from tempo periods to teach periods, there’s a rhyme or reason to what we’re doing, time on task versus time teaching, and I think there’s a good balance of that.  We want to get them in and get them out.  But we also have to get a certain amount of work in.”

But it’s not non-stop action.  Kelly explained that the goal is to simulate real football.

“Obviously we know we can’t practice full speed for the entire time we’re out there, so it’s got to be short bursts, but the game of football is short bursts,” Kelly said.  “It’s really an anaerobic sport when you look at it, because you’re going hard for five to six seconds and then you’re taking a break, and that’s what we’re trying to get accomplished with these guys.”

Through it all, the music will be playing.  It’s a phenomenon that is spreading through the NFL, and if/when teams like the Jaguars and Eagles have success with it, it will spread even more.

Permalink 49 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
49 Responses to “Chip Kelly’s fast practices include eclectic soundtrack”
  1. bettis3636 says: May 13, 2013 2:51 PM

Speaking of FAST…. I wonder how FAST this Offense is gonna CRASH AND BURN!!

2. mrphatal says: May 13, 2013 2:53 PM

Que the Eagle H8rs and the dream comments Now!

3. overweightman says: May 13, 2013 2:54 PM

Imagine the looks on the players’ faces when Don Mclean’s American Pie comes on. It’s gon be a long day fellas.

4. cakemixa says: May 13, 2013 2:56 PM

The off season can’t end soon enough.

5. ud1hens says: May 13, 2013 2:57 PM

I don’t know how Chip Kelly will do in the NFL but I am fascinated to find out. Total 180 from the Andy Reid tenure of “time’s yours” and “I have to do a better job of putting my players in better positions.”

6. gloryfromheaven says: May 13, 2013 2:58 PM

Don’t you think that there whole offense is gonna be extremely tired once the fourth quarter hits? I mean, it’s not like they substitute players in and out like a defense does…

7. canadianbucsfan says: May 13, 2013 3:00 PM

My favorite sport of all time? Football. My favorite artist of all time? 2Pac. I would of loved to listen to some Tupac during my highschool practicing days.

8. doe22us says: May 13, 2013 3:00 PM

This guy is going to have a mutiny on his hands by week 3, when players start rebelling against him. Heard, he revamped their whole cafeteria, he should take a look at himself in the mirror his diet needs changing.

9. skinsfaninphilly says: May 13, 2013 3:02 PM

So..he had an uptempo mini camp…who cares?!? My biggest question is..with all this offensive mastermind nonsense & changing of the culture..what has Chip Kelly ever won? I mean..its a story to talk about, but who cares that he has been doing this since the lower levels of college..it hasn’t won anything for him yet at any level! And before you say I’m hatin, a Fiesta or Outback Bowl don’t mean $#@& compared to national championships.

And if the offense is gonna be off the field so fast, are u saying that you’re gonna hope to score & rely on one of the worst defenses from last year that is transitioning to a new coach & scheme to win games for u? I’m just sayin

10. kd75 says: May 13, 2013 3:02 PM

If I was forced to listen to Duran Duran at work, I’d quit.

11. andyreidisthegoat says: May 13, 2013 3:03 PM

————————————–

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

Kelly will revolutionize the game. music at practice. smoothies after practice. what next? interpretive dance during warm-ups. Sheer genius. this man is unstoppable. and look at that mrphatal not on dream team comment.

12. joebuckiscreepy says: May 13, 2013 3:03 PM

There is nothing scientific about “what is love?”

13. ninerfan81 says: May 13, 2013 3:04 PM

Not sure it makes sense to hedge any bets on Mike Vick, I think he’s essentially a crash dummy until one of the other QB’s get up to speed, Mike had one elite year as a starting QB, I just dont have any faith that he can guide this team.

14. conseannery says: May 13, 2013 3:07 PM

mrphatal says:
    May 13, 2013 2:53 PM
    Que the Eagle H8rs and the dream comments Now!

Habla espanol?

15. mrphatal says: May 13, 2013 3:09 PM

skinsfaninphilly says: May 13, 2013 3:02 PM

——————————————————–

Unfortunately SEC always gets a bid as well as a usual Big 10.– Just sayin’

16. thegreatgabbert says: May 13, 2013 3:13 PM

In the music industry the genre is known as “Eclecto Pop”. Led by the hot new group AHDH Syndrome.

17. andyreidisthegoat says: May 13, 2013 3:14 PM

it will blow my mind if he tries to get a 3rd receiver into an area that only has 2 men covering it and runs a no huddle up tempo offense. what he is doing this? this has never been attempted before in the history of football. chip kelly is the mad scientist the nfl is waiting for. he is going to shock the world-alert the media.

18. mrphatal says: May 13, 2013 3:18 PM

bettis3636 says: May 13, 2013 2:51 PM

Speaking of FAST…. I wonder how FAST this Offense is gonna CRASH AND BURN!!
    ************************************************

No Faster than Pitts-burgh not making the playoffs last year.

19. lostsok says: May 13, 2013 3:22 PM

I’m not sure I’d call that list “eclectic.” Throw in some Leonard Cohen and Tom Waits. Then you got you some eclectic.

20. saintmyfault says: May 13, 2013 3:23 PM

Could not help but notice “We are the Champions” is not included on his mix tape.

21. justintuckrule says: May 13, 2013 3:26 PM

What a joke of an organization. No wonder they’ve never won a SB. Their new coach is training the team to “Sweatin’ to the Oldies”.

22. mrphatal says: May 13, 2013 3:27 PM

andyreidisthegoat says: May 13, 2013 3:03 PM

————————————–

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

********************************************

Im an Eagles Fan (from Philly) living in Nashville Now (for work). I have several Titan players leaving in the same Community as me. And I let it be know that, “I owe VY a punch in the face for the Dream Team Comment.”

23. kd75 says: May 13, 2013 3:31 PM

Best songs on the playlist:

Thunderstruck, ACDC
    Panama, Van Halen
    Crazy Train, Ozzie
    Rock You Like a Hurricane, Scorpion
    Shipping Up To Boston, Dropkick Murphys
    We Will Rock You, Queen

24. andyreidisthegoat says: May 13, 2013 3:32 PM

—————————————
    Yeah, that’s the kicker of it all. Such a scrub player, making years of heart ache for the teams fans. it is just tough to put the toothpaste back into the tube once it gets out.

25. kd75 says: May 13, 2013 3:33 PM

You’d think Chip would include an Eagles song on his playlist…”Life in the Fast Lane. Surely makes you lose your mind.”

26. thegreatgabbert says: May 13, 2013 3:33 PM

This could change the course of music history. Imagine if Bob Dylan had shown up at the Newport Folk Fest with an ECLECTIC guitar back in 1965.

27. yevrag3535 says: May 13, 2013 3:34 PM

Skin fans are nervious. Shanny plays Glenn Miller and thinks it’s new stuff. FAIL… Losers…

28. stevenwilliams2013 says: May 13, 2013 3:36 PM

This is gonna be a disaster season. Philly fans are gonna crucify Chip.

29. NoWearMan says: May 13, 2013 3:44 PM

“Eclectic”?? “ECLECTIC”???

(Said in Jim Mora “playoffs” tone)

Someone needs to look up “eclectic” in the dictionary. Always better to use words that you understand the definition of.

30. mattbarkley123 says: May 13, 2013 3:49 PM

Big chip :)

31. captrtp says: May 13, 2013 3:54 PM

I really wish all you no nothing about football commenters back off and let the man do his job. Professional sports is always changing and re evolving look at the up tempo the Pats use. Baseball humm I see shifts and pitchers not throwing over 80 pitches hockey went to light weight graphite sticks. Lets just see where it goes most of you idiots are gonna be surprised cause it will work

32. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: May 13, 2013 4:00 PM

We’ve moved on from Dream Team. Now it’s about the “Duck Dynasty”. Keep up people.

Chip Kelly’s “Duck Dynasty” team will play in quick bursts for sure. The defense will play about 6 seconds, give up a score, and take a break. The offense will play about 6 seconds, Vick turn it over, and then take a break.

I have a song request, ‘Send in The Clowns’. This college coach experiment is a joke!

Cue up hater comments. Whatever.

33. bleedgreen11 says: May 13, 2013 4:01 PM

Baby don’t hurt me.

no more.

no more.

34. mrphatal says: May 13, 2013 4:04 PM

justintuckrule says: May 13, 2013 3:26 PM

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Another NY Loser Browsing Eagles Post..
    What did you put in your case last year?
    Oh Wait, I know… It was DUST!!!!!!

35. rocketcrab says: May 13, 2013 4:05 PM

I live in Eagles territory and I did like Andy Reid, and I have no dog in this fight, but I will be interested to see what the Eagles look like this coming season. Why do I have the feeling that their offense won’t be so mad-scientist as some think? Either way, it stokes interest.

36. larrydavid7000 says: May 13, 2013 4:05 PM

o chipper you have already out done yourself for the 2013 season. I guess chipper you need to start looking ahead for the 2014 season. What a LOSER.

37. orakpocalypse says: May 13, 2013 4:08 PM

Funny stuff. Not as funny as Vick or Barkley trying to run this guy’s offense, but still funny.

38. stlunatik says: May 13, 2013 4:15 PM

keep on dreaming team

39. buddysguys says: May 13, 2013 4:21 PM

Pac will pump anyone up, thats that shizzzzzz

40. Mr. Wright 212 says: May 13, 2013 4:47 PM

I like that, honestly.

But the Giants are not moved by it.

41. tgerhardt says: May 13, 2013 4:51 PM

Dream team is now the dance team

42. tdk24 says: May 13, 2013 5:33 PM

There must be some kind of “From College HC to Rookie NFL HC” handbook or something. And the first chapter is called…So your new team sucked, it must have been because of slow practices. Seriously, seems like every rookie NFL coach tries this and his players get burnt out fast. Yes, your team needs changes, but this method of fast tempo practices is a tried and true recipe for failure.

43. 54isaiah17 says: May 13, 2013 5:43 PM

Ravens have been doing this up-tempo, loud music-laden practice thing ever since John Harbaugh took over 5 years ago.

5 straight PlayOff appearances, 5 straight years with a WIN in the Playoffs, 3 AFC Championship Games, and a SuperBowl Victory to cap it all off!

Maybe this stuff actually Works!!

44. kerryc21realty says: May 13, 2013 6:23 PM

Anyone want to take bets that shannahan and RG3 will embarrass the eagles on the Monday night opener? LOL

45. toonloonboon says: May 13, 2013 8:00 PM

chip kelly: DJ / football coach

46. officialgame says: May 13, 2013 8:23 PM

What’s he won? 48-7 at Oregon a Rose Bowl and Fiesta Bowl at a average program before he arrived. Bottom line he will be successful. His teams are vastly superior when it comes to aerobic endurance endurance. His teams get twice the amount of reps because of his pace. His teams average 20 more plays per game because of the speed they play out. Think about the Eagles doing what they do all year long while the opposition they play has a week to prepare for them.

47. dabmasterhap says: May 13, 2013 9:18 PM

They have Pat Shumer as their offensive coordinator, Do I need to say more…

48. 1trinieagle says: May 13, 2013 9:29 PM

I am loving the ” HATE ” by many here about my Head Coach Chip Kelly… Lurie hired Chip because he thought Chip was an innovator. I believe Lurie got the right guy.

The league scribes and fans are paying attention. Defenses better get in shape…hahhahahha. I get many hoping Chip fails, y’all keep hope alive, hear. Chip is just Getting It Started. Don’t get Scared yet?. Chip got to at least win a game first hahahhahaha

49. oldforester says: May 15, 2013 11:07 PM

Players love playing for Kelly and he wins games by scoring more points than anyone. This is not rocket science. If I’m going to war I sure as hell would want this guy working on my battle plan, rather than trying to figure a way to score more points than him on game-day.