Justin Blackmon: I don’t have a substance abuse problem

Justin Blackmon AP

Jaguars wide receiver Justin Blackmon issued a statement when he was suspended four games for violating the league’s substance abuse policy, which was the only thing we heard on the topic from Blackmon until Monday.

That’s when he met with the media following the team’s first OTA of the year. Blackmon, who was arrested twice for DUI before signing his contract with the Jaguars, said that he has received a lot of support from the Jaguars since the suspension and that he’ll continue to lean on the team in the future.

Blackmon was asked whether he would go to rehab, a question he avoided. He did answer a direct question about whether he had a substance abuse problem.

“No, I would say I don’t,” Blackmon said, via the Jaguars website. “Out of this whole thing one of the main things I would say that I had a problem with was just making a poor decision, making a selfish decision at that and not thinking about the long-term of it and just thinking about at the time. If you want to ask if I have a problem? I have a problem with making a poor decision.”

It would seem that making at least three of those poor decisions under the influence of alcohol or other substances constitutes having a problem with substances. Whether or not that’s something that requires rehab is a decision for Blackmon to make, but there’s definitely a pattern here that’s troubling. Another poor decision of this ilk could lead to Blackmon hurting other people or himself, to say nothing of a professional football career that would be seriously compromised by the year-long suspension that would accompany another violation of the policy.

Permalink 46 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Jacksonville Jaguars, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
46 Responses to “Justin Blackmon: I don’t have a substance abuse problem”
  1. mrphatal says: May 13, 2013 2:56 PM

There isnt testing for THC in the NBA Justin, go there. If there were testing, half the league would be suspended.

2. schmokes says: May 13, 2013 2:57 PM

First step is admitting it. He failed that.

Titus young jr 2.0

3. lionfish57 says: May 13, 2013 2:58 PM

Justin, you are traveling down that long lazy river called De Nile…

4. whatnojets says: May 13, 2013 2:59 PM

Isn’t that the normal response from someone with a problem?

5. The Rev says: May 13, 2013 3:00 PM

Yes, and you’re a white teenage girl.

6. purpleguy says: May 13, 2013 3:01 PM

Why is it that the guys with the biggest problems never seem to realize just that fact?

7. vgferenzi says: May 13, 2013 3:02 PM

He basically just guaranteed that this will continue…

No light at the end of the tunnel in Jacksonville.

8. thereisfootballwestofjersey says: May 13, 2013 3:03 PM

Of course you don’t! You just have bad luck bruh!

-Signed
    DENIAL AISLE

9. mcjeff42 says: May 13, 2013 3:04 PM

He has a problem. You can’t operate a vehicle at the level he did the last time without drinking a lot and often. My experience is almost identical in terms of numbers and I drank every night. Hope he doesn’t wait until he’s 4o to figure it out. He won’t make it with all the money he has made.

10. pleasantsurpriselefty says: May 13, 2013 3:04 PM

People grouse about how much teams evaluate pre-draft “poor decisions” by players. Exhibit A: mr Blackmon! Once a poor decision maker, always a poor decision maker.

11. godofwine330 says: May 13, 2013 3:06 PM

I will chalk it up to young and stupid. Young people drink to excess because they don’t know their bodies, they think drinking is cool, and they haven’t been doing it long. And, if they haven’t hit a wall (literally) many of them don’t get it. Even after the DUI. Many of us have been ther and drove home when we had too many to drink. many of us have even heard the “Berm Music” that alerted us that we were veering toward the side of the road.

He is on his third strike, now. Let’s hope he learned his lesson and doesn’t need any more failures. Jag fans better pray he doesn’t.

12. gcsuk says: May 13, 2013 3:07 PM

“I don’t have a drinking problem. I drink, I get drunk, I fall down. No problem.”

13. linvillegorge says: May 13, 2013 3:07 PM

I guess it’s possible that he doesn’t, but he definitely has a decision making problem.

14. favresweiner says: May 13, 2013 3:09 PM

Ya, and grizzly Adams had a beard….

15. thegreatgabbert says: May 13, 2013 3:10 PM

You could see this coming a mile away when Blackmon was in the draft. At least I could. Apparently a bunch of EX Jaguar employees couldn’t. Dumb ass Gene Smith didn’t even have they guy in for a personal interview last year. Then he trades up in the draft for him.

16. remyje says: May 13, 2013 3:10 PM

neither do i….

17. metrocritical says: May 13, 2013 3:11 PM

“I have a problem with making a poor decision.” Justin Blackmon. Actually, he has no problem with making poor decisions, but, apparently, he has enormous trouble making good decisions. Also, given his history of substance abuse related convictions and suspension, it would appear that he is a master of denial. Based on his own statements and his behavior, one might predict that these latest troubles will not be the last and that if he doesn’t open his eyes and shut his mouth, he will join other recently vanquished diva wide receivers outside the league and inside a penitentiary.

18. wfmulder says: May 13, 2013 3:11 PM

So I take it none of you holier than thou’s drink?

Give me a break and lay off the kid. He’s what, 22 and he’s playing a sport the majority of us could only dream about. The guy needs to learn how to call a taxi / limo, not rehab.

So many people think because you get a DUI you need rehab. No, you need to make smarter decisions. But it’s easier to go down the rehab road, it takes minimal thinking.

What happened to the world?

19. jakescott13 says: May 13, 2013 3:15 PM

translation: He has a substance abuse problem

20. chucknorrisisabeast says: May 13, 2013 3:17 PM

I don’t get when your blessed with talent, that people would dream to have. And to top it off to get paid Millions of dollars. I know it’s fun to party and stuff. But, when your supposed to be a role model for kids in the NFL and the community of your team. This is what frustrates me. I think the CBA should have a 3 strikes and your out policy. Instead of treating these players like kings. And constantly giving them chances for publicity and marketing. If they want to be Professionals ? Make sure the rules are Professional as well.

21. patriots123456 says: May 13, 2013 3:19 PM

The problem is, he won’t admit he has a problem. LOL

22. vikingbp says: May 13, 2013 3:21 PM

And I didn’t just leave a comment on this website.

23. kingpel says: May 13, 2013 3:22 PM

He does make bad decisions. And when he said he doesn’t have a substance abuse problem, he just made another one of those bad decisions.
    Being vague and uncertain would have been better than denying a problem.

24. whatnojets says: May 13, 2013 3:24 PM

wfmulder says:
    May 13, 2013 3:11 PM
    So I take it none of you holier than thou’s drink?

—————————————————–
    The NFL offer’s free limo service and he makes a ton of money to afford a taxi cab.

Stupid is what stupid does

Your holier than thou

25. 49erstim says: May 13, 2013 3:26 PM

@wfmulder…. Stop making excuses for the kid. He can drink as much as he wants AT HOME. Once he hits the road all bets are off! You and I could paint the town red one night and our combined BAC wouldn’t top what this guy does ALONE. I’m not judging the kid. I’ve done stupid garbage but I’ve NEVER driven drunk. Hitting the bar?…take a freakin cab…especially when you’re a millionaire!

26. gcsuk says: May 13, 2013 3:29 PM

wfmulder says:
    May 13, 2013 3:11 PM
    So I take it none of you holier than thou’s drink?

What happened to the world?
    ——————————————————–

You’re close. He needs to learn how to call a cab TO TAKE him to rehab.

So if YOU get 2 dui’s and get suspended from your job, are you going to question whether YOU have a problem? Most clear thinking people would. People with substance abuse problems would not.

27. thejuddstir says: May 13, 2013 3:35 PM

Maybe after his next offense when he gets a full year suspension he might admit he has a problem. Justin Blackmon=NotForLong

28. jprcox says: May 13, 2013 3:43 PM

Yes yes, neither Blackmon or T.Young have a substance abuse problem.

If you have to announce to the world you don’t have a substance abuse problem, you more than likely have a substance abuse problem.

People don’t realize it is better to ask for help and get help – since people cheer for you after to recover.

29. icdogg says: May 13, 2013 3:56 PM

People with substance abuse issues often are the last to know that they have substance abuse issues.

30. mp4philly says: May 13, 2013 4:07 PM

The rest of the world: Yes, you do.

31. z561 says: May 13, 2013 4:14 PM

Blackmon used to have a drinking problem. He still does, but he also used to..

32. heyguru1969 says: May 13, 2013 4:20 PM

“I don’t have a substance abuse problem. I’ve never slapped a substance or called it names. In fact, I love substances so much I swallow them so they’ll be part of me forever. Love me some substances!” — J.B.

33. jap0791 says: May 13, 2013 4:28 PM

Can you say…………denial?

34. nutitletown says: May 13, 2013 4:45 PM

Lot of judgmental people on this site huh……

35. sosuhme says: May 13, 2013 5:34 PM

Guess what Justin, if your abuse of substances is causing problems in your chosen career, you have a substance abuse problem.

36. gobuccs1280 says: May 13, 2013 5:40 PM

NFL likes people who have a problem with making poor decisions. See: Pacman Jones, Michael Vick, Donte Stallworth, Josh Brent, Tyrann Mathieu, Plaxico Burress, Ben Roethlisburger, Jamarcus Russell, Ricky Williams, Cam Newton, Titus Young, Leroy Hill, Jonathan Amaya, Michael Turner, Chad Johnson, Kenny Britt, Dez Bryant, Marshawn Lynch, Elvis Dumervil, Nick Fairley, Darrius Hayword-Bey, Rey Manaluga, Aldon Smith, Knowshon Moreno, etc. I just got tired of naming them, want to know for yourself, go to NFL Arrest Database.

37. iamhoraceknight says: May 13, 2013 6:27 PM

What exactly are the rules of The “Substance Abuse Program?” He’s in there for the DUI, so is he not allowed to drink at all? Is he tested for having alcohol in his system?

What triggered the suspension? Was it alcohol, Another Substance?

These stories are pointless to me unless there are some revealing details.

38. razzlejag says: May 13, 2013 6:37 PM

And Gene Smith traded up for this sorry possession receiver. Thanks (again) Gene.

39. fdugrad says: May 13, 2013 6:52 PM

Let’s review: DUI, more than one, the last being COMPLETELY blotto DIRECTLY before the most important day in your chosen profession…check. SUSPENSION from your place of employment for twenty-five percent of the year…check. EVERY SINGLE DOLLAR of your current salary no longer guaranteed…check. What problem…I ain’t got no STINKING problem!!

40. thesteelers says: May 13, 2013 6:52 PM

There should be more thorough tests for steroids, not THC. If anything THC screening should be done by the teams, not the league. Backward priorities.

41. matt24bucs says: May 13, 2013 7:18 PM

This douche’s only alcohol problem is when the liqour store is closed. What an idiot.

42. ambitoos says: May 13, 2013 7:19 PM

That’s what all addicts say. Everybody knows it but you.

43. bigdon76 says: May 13, 2013 7:31 PM

The first step to sobriety is admitt you have a problem.not deny you have a problem

44. jlswisc says: May 13, 2013 7:38 PM

None of us know Blackmon’s exact situation, but it is very hard based on what is public to say he has a substance abuse problem.

He is 22 and likes to drink. Maybe he also smokes pot. There are 0 reports of him showing up to practice wasted (not hung over, but drunk) or playing a game while drunk…That would indicate a substance abuse problem (not being able to lay off the substance when its time to be serious).

But at 22 going out and partying is normal. Very normal. Every night in every city there are hundreds of bars and clubs filled with thousands of 20 somethings. Do all of them have substance abuse problems? No.

The problem is with decision making and it is compounded bc alcohol changes your decision making (while your drunk). He likely got drunk, thought he wasnt and chose to drive.

Thats the problem.

45. jaygonz101 says: May 13, 2013 7:48 PM

And warren moon said this man is “Dez Bryant with all his brain cells.” what? Brain cells floating in alcohol? Dez has 0 DUI and 0 suspensions. Still stand behind your comment warren?

46. phinfan says: May 13, 2013 7:52 PM

He apparently fails lie detector tests too.