Bears QB coach loves Jay Cutler

Jay Cutler, Matt Cavanaugh AP

Bears quarterbacks coach Matt Cavanaugh is in love.

OK, maybe that’s an overstatement. But Cavanaugh sure does sound like he loves Jay Cutler after the brief time they’ve had to work together this offseason.

Very impressed with Jay,” Cavanaugh told the Chicago Tribune. “Very impressed. He’s borderline football brilliant. I think he gets it. I think he knows the game. I think he knows offensive schemes. I think he knows defenses.”

Cavanaugh said Cutler is warming to the Bears’ new offense and eager to learn from the Bears’ new coaching staff.

“I think he’s embracing how we want to approach things,” he said. “There has been a lot of give and take. We didn’t come in here with a mandate that this is exactly how we’re doing it and there is no leeway. We wanted his feedback. He’s been willing to do that. It’s a good working relationship now.”

Heading into the final season of his contract, Cutler is facing a make-or-break year in Chicago: If he plays well, he’s likely to get a big new deal in 2014. If he plays poorly, the new regime in Chicago is likely to go shopping for a new quarterback in 2014. It’s way too early to say how things will work out, but Cavanaugh likes the early returns.

Permalink 58 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Chicago Bears, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
58 Responses to “Bears QB coach loves Jay Cutler”
  1. pathsovglory says: May 14, 2013 7:19 PM

well it’s not like he’s some first year rook and he wasn’t particularly terrible beforehand either…

2. thesteelers says: May 14, 2013 7:19 PM

In other words, he loves interceptions.

3. moeman79 says: May 14, 2013 7:20 PM

Yhea I have a man crush on Jay also.

4. thegreatgabbert says: May 14, 2013 7:20 PM

Yeah, you’d never guess the guy is only 30 years old and has only been playing the position for the past 20 years.

5. vgferenzi says: May 14, 2013 7:22 PM

Most people who have been around Cutler do like him. This public hatred of him comes from people like Tom Jackson TMZing his every facial expression to feel self important and the meat-head mouth-breathers who can’t form an original thought continuing to “feel” the way TV tells them to.

6. emoney826 says: May 14, 2013 7:22 PM

Wait until Cutler blows him off on the sideline and makes him look like a fool.

7. atwatercrushesokoye says: May 14, 2013 7:23 PM

But can he still throw it harder than Elway?

8. golforepar says: May 14, 2013 7:25 PM

Watch out you may give him a big head errr wait too late!

9. kwjsb says: May 14, 2013 7:26 PM

Must be close to closing time at the bar …….

10. conseannery says: May 14, 2013 7:29 PM

Not to be that guy, but I’m going to be that guy…

The headlines on this site have become progressively worse and approach borderline linkbaiting on a regular basis. The one for this article is Exhibit A. Nowhere within is there any quote – whether direct or implied – that Cavanaugh “loves” Cutler.

Furthermore, whether it’s the collusion conspiracy theories, Tebowmania or an entire day’s worth of articles dedicated to Reavis signing with Tampa, the quality of this site is no longer up to the standards I was accustomed to when I first started visiting PFT back in ’05.

This might not be posted, but hopefully this feedback – and I mean it to be constructive – won’t fall on deaf ears.

11. Iknoweverything says: May 14, 2013 7:30 PM

Opposing defenses love Cutler too.

It’s apparent that this Cavanaugh clown doesn’t have a clue as to what it takes to evaluate talent.

He sure does “think” many things about Cutler, but the problem is that he doesn’t KNOW. But he will get to know soon enough, after Mr. INT continues to feed the ball to his opponents and then sport his pouting and aloof personality all year long………..again.

Does this guy “fall in love” with every substandard person that he briefly meets? Doesn’t speak wonders about the Mrs.

12. ditkabutkus says: May 14, 2013 7:32 PM

Heard the same thing when Ron Turner was running the O, then Martz, then the Mike Tice Experience.

As a Bears fan I badly want Cutler to succeed, but I don’t think this is necessarily a make or break season unless he has a Sanchezian type season. Even if Cutler puts up a 20td 15int, and the Bears go say 7-9 or 6-10, would they still pick high enough to get a Bridgewater or Taj Boyd? Plus I think Cutler’s talent would still get him paid, whether Chicago or elsewhere.

13. ramcountry says: May 14, 2013 7:33 PM

Loving Jay is easy.

Living with Jay…….

14. jojopuppyfish says: May 14, 2013 7:44 PM

You know, its not like Cutler was wrong about Mike Tice

15. tangledupinblue12 says: May 14, 2013 7:47 PM

I’m in love with Jay Cutler. Remember last season when he stiff-armed AJ Jefferson right in the damn brain, flipped him the ball while he was on the ground, and then laughed when he got an unsportsmanlike penalty?

That’s why I love Cutler.

16. olhoss1884 says: May 14, 2013 7:51 PM

I would say that Cutler’s less-than-likeable personality has been his biggest issue. Much of the rest has been beyond his control. Until last year he had no decent receiver to throw to, he’s had a terrible OL and a different form of bad OC every year.

I don’t think he’s one of the top QB in the game but I think the Bears can certainly win with him if they give him an environment…meaning good coaching and decent players…around him.

17. hatesycophants says: May 14, 2013 7:57 PM

@conseanery,

Excellent post.

18. titusyoungslegalcounsel says: May 14, 2013 8:03 PM

Jay Cutler doesn’t even love Jay Cutler

19. kyle407641 says: May 14, 2013 8:05 PM

hahahahaha….. I couldn’t stand him from day two in denver… first day was like a first date…. second day you want the b#@! $ to leave

20. filthymcnasty1 says: May 14, 2013 8:06 PM

This makes sense. Much love from one journeyman QB to another.

21. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: May 14, 2013 8:10 PM

Still in honeymoon phase now. But if things don’t go well, don’t be surprised if Jay throws Matt’s a** under the bus. Just sayin’.

22. niubears says: May 14, 2013 8:17 PM

For those who don’t like him, I highly recommend listening to his one-hour radio show on Monday’s during the season. It will be the most entertaining hour of your week guaranteed.

23. lionsdraftguy says: May 14, 2013 8:17 PM

I am a huge lions fan and hate the bears, but I would be more than happy with cutler as my qb.

24. marjorine1 says: May 14, 2013 8:28 PM

Yeah, I am sure Cutler is borderline brilliant. He’s a buffoon. True story.

25. avr29 says: May 14, 2013 8:35 PM

It’s funny that everyone loves to call Cutler an INT machine. Over the course of their last 3 (active) years, Rivers, Brees, P. Manning, Roethlisberger, and E. Manning have all thrown more INTs than Cutler. Brady, Rodgers, Ryan, and Flacco have thrown less. Of course, none of them, except maybe Roethlisberger and Rivers, has such a bad combination of receivers and offensive line. Of course, now with Marshall and Jeffrey in Chicago, there will be more expectations for the passing game, but wasn’t one of the “story lines” for the Bears last year about how they only had 1 receiver (Marshall), and really needed to find help at TE and receiver? There’s a saying: when everything is going right, the QB gets too much credit, and when everything is going wrong, the QB gets too much blame.

26. GenXJay says: May 14, 2013 8:37 PM

Does Brandon know about this “love” you speak of?
    This may push him over the edge.

27. ososrule says: May 14, 2013 8:53 PM

marjorine1 says:
    May 14, 2013 8:28 PM
    Yeah, I am sure Cutler is borderline brilliant. He’s a buffoon. True story.

Yeah, everyone that graduates from Vanderbilt has that label.

You just made yourself look like a buffoon.

Cutler is going to do well next season and it will stick in your craw if you hate on Jay…..which will make it even better! Jay has had to learn 4 different offenses since being in a Bears uniform, with a statue/deer staring into headlights coach and no offensive line and no one competent enough to call plays correctly. That has all changed in case you haven’t noticed. Keep on hating, you will eat your words and drown in your hate.

28. rr2000k says: May 14, 2013 8:57 PM

A) Jay Cutler
    B) Matt Cavanaugh

nothing more to say…

except LOL!

29. goodknave says: May 14, 2013 9:01 PM

As an aside, I haven’t heard Maurice Jones-Drew’s opinion on whether Derrick Rose should be playing or not.

I figured that punk would spout his nonsense regarding other athletes, too.

30. duneroad says: May 14, 2013 9:11 PM

Is this the same guy that worked for the Jets and had to watch Sanchez every day? No wonder he is impressed

31. adoombray says: May 14, 2013 9:17 PM

None of us know anything about Jay Cutler other than what the press has spoon fed you. to quote Maynard James Keenan, “all you know about me is what I sold you.” It seems to me that everyone who actually sits down and hangs out with Cutler would run through a brick wall for him. He’s extensively involved in charitable work in the Chicago area and you never hear about it because he doesn’t draw attention to himself. He doesn’t do it for the press and he rightfully couldn’t care less what a bunch of talking heads on TV or people with itchy keyboard fingers on the internet have to say about him.

Assuming that you know for a fact that Cutler is a jerk based upon a few choice stills and un-sourced hearsay is about as ridiculous as writing a headline stating that the QB coach loves him from “good working relationship”

32. mineallmine001 says: May 14, 2013 9:17 PM

That only leaves one question to be answered.

Who pitches and Who catches?

33. baselman1974 says: May 14, 2013 9:21 PM

rr2000k
    Matt Cavanaugh won a Super Bowl as OC for Baltimore Ravens in 2000 with Trent Dilfer as QB.

34. goodfellas17 says: May 14, 2013 9:57 PM

Cutler is a joke! Jeff George Jr. for sure. I

35. metalhead65 says: May 14, 2013 10:06 PM

hate all you want but I would love to have seen Brady,Manning,Rodgers or brees put up their numbers in the offenses Cutlers has had the misfortune of being in. at least this new coaching staff comes with a background in offense and knows that getting a field goal in the first quarter is not a reason to go into a prevent offense like they did when Lovie was in charge. at the very least they should be able to call a play without burning a timeout to get it in or have the right personal on the field. and were any other qb who “acted” the way Cutler does the press would be praising his passion for the game. because he does not play the media game he gets crucified.

36. vonpoleandynamite says: May 14, 2013 10:11 PM

PFFFTTT This is a lie!!! Not even Jay Cutler loves Jay Cutler

37. cuda1234 says: May 14, 2013 10:32 PM

How many quarterbacks who have to learn a new system every year ever reach their potential?

38. patfanken says: May 14, 2013 10:54 PM

After coaching Mark Sanchez for a few years, any QB coach would love the new guy. Forget about Cutler’s flaws and idiosyncrasies, compared to Sanchez he’s Joe Montana.

39. bla bla bla says: May 14, 2013 11:01 PM

40. chi01town says: May 14, 2013 11:29 PM

Cutler has won 10 games a season since hes been in Chicago. the Wisconsin media has been trying to discredit him the whole time. but now he has an offensive minded head coach, a big TE.. and Marshall to go with a real O-line and Forte. Chicago will be hard to beat this season.

41. seals1 says: May 15, 2013 12:08 AM

I smell a break up,,,,,,,,,the problem with living with people is you haven to live with people. The reason I like cutler is I hate people also. Just as much as him.

42. lionsfan2014 says: May 15, 2013 12:25 AM

I am pretty sure “loving Jay Cutler” was on the job posting;

Requirements:
    1. Must Love Jay Cutler
    2. Must have also so have a pulse.

43. cmdrsmooth says: May 15, 2013 12:26 AM

Sanchez was his previous QB. Bar is not very high for this coach.

44. purpwalk says: May 15, 2013 12:52 AM

are they teaching him how to block?

45. dino2997 says: May 15, 2013 2:31 AM

The hate is quite amusing. The hate from broncos fans is just sour grapes. Either way I as a Bears fan am glad he’s on the Bears

46. larryboodry says: May 15, 2013 2:38 AM

In the second year under Martz – the only time the Bears and Cutler had the same OC back-to-back – Jay had the Bears at 7-3 and scoring around 30 points a game, 13 TDs and only 7 INTS through 10 games. Then Jay got hurt and the whole thing went to hell in a hurry.

For this reason, unless Jay has a complete meltdown this year (not happening), I hope the new regime gives him a new deal so he can grow with the new system they have put in place…There will undoubtedly be growing pains this year – hopefully not too many – and it would be foolish to blame that on Cutler and cut him loose too soon.

47. onbucky96 says: May 15, 2013 6:12 AM

Yeah. Who are the other QBs?

48. gbmickey says: May 15, 2013 8:42 AM

The Wisconsin media has been trying to discredit him? You really have no clue do you. Cutler has been very good to GB he gets all the credit in the world for throwing us all those picks not to mention tapping out of the most important game of his life.

He obviously is not thought very highly in Chicago because who let’s a qb they have faith in go into his last season of a contract? The answer is none. Chicago is a qb graveyard.

49. chi01town says: May 15, 2013 10:29 AM

Thanks a lot gbmicky you just proved my point. This season will be different cause everybody wants to talk to a winning QB and the media.. all of the media will want to talk to Cutler.

50. CKL says: May 15, 2013 11:39 AM

I used to really dislike Cutler, but he’s growing on me. He’s a surly bleep who knows he’s a surly bleep. I kind of like that. He definitely has a sense of humor, though you may miss it if you aren’t a Bears fan who hears him all the time. In a way, Cutler kind of reminds me of my team’s HC. Lots of people hate him too but he’s also a surly bleep who knows he’s a surly bleep and he also has a good sense of humor though only us Pats fans usually see it. They even both dress all scruffy in their pressers. :D I think both guys just dislike fanfare and media and want to do their jobs.

And I NEVER thought Cutler was faking being too hurt to go back in the NFCC. LaDanian Tomlinson was wussing out, he was cleared by the docs the year his QB played with a torn ACL in a playoff game against my team. His own HC thought he should go back in. But he didnt’ get much hate as Cutler because “everyone loves LaDanian”. I wish truth could just be truth whether people like or hate a guy.

I agree with Bears fans that Cutler hasn’t had ideal circumstances in Chi. That said, he had the cream of the crop in Denver: great playcaller, great OL , great skill players and he still had INT issues. So I don’t think it’s entirely fair to blame all his INT issues on the woes of the Bears OL, and lack of skill players and decent playcaller.

51. bla bla bla says: May 15, 2013 11:51 AM

“This season will be different cause everybody wants to talk to a winning QB and the media.. all of the media will want to talk to Cutler.”

Yeah, that could happen…if Aaron Rodgers and Matt Stafford get abducted by aliens.

52. larryboodry says: May 15, 2013 12:50 PM

Let’s see if my previous post stays up, or if the censors thought it made too much sense, or that it wasn’t insulting enough to other teams’ fans.

53. larryboodry says: May 15, 2013 1:19 PM

bla bla bla says: May 14, 2013 11:01 PM

“You guys have it all wrong. Very many of us fans absolutely love Jay and hope he stays with the Bears for a very long time.

Of course, When I say “us fans” I mean us fans of the other teams in the NFC North.”

Uh-huh…Maybe you should consider this about Jay:

Career vs. Detroit…7-2, 12 TDs, 1 INT, and a 100.2 QB rating.

Career vs. MN – 6-2, 17 TDs, 9 INTs, and a 91.7 QB rating.

Career vs. GB – 1-7, 9 TDs, 16 INTs, and (not surprisingly) a QB rating of 61.5.

So unless you’re a cheesehead, you should probably shut up now.

54. bla bla bla says: May 15, 2013 1:41 PM

Well guess what, Einstein? I am a cheesehead. Now what?

55. larryboodry says: May 15, 2013 2:36 PM

Now I congratulate you, and make the point that got deleted with my original reply…You spoke for ‘us fans of the other teams in the NFCNorth,’ when to be honest the fans in Minnie and Detroit prob’ly wish Jay was still in Denver.

You know, I had no idea which NFC North team you pull for until now, since you never (that I’ve seen, anyway) talk about them when out for a troll.

56. bla bla bla says: May 15, 2013 4:07 PM

And I had no idea Cutler had such success against the rest of the North. Now I really hope he stays with the Bears forever.

57. larryboodry says: May 15, 2013 4:37 PM

Touche!

58. iowahbr says: May 20, 2013 8:51 AM

the great thing about cutler is how many posts he can help produce when his name comes up on an article here.