Daryl Washington works with second team at Cardinals OTA

Arizona Cardinals v Atlanta Falcons Getty Images

When the Cardinals signed linebacker Daryl Washington to a six-year deal before last season, there probably wasn’t much thought that they’d be planning for a future without him at the first OTA of the next offseason.

As a result of Washington’s four-game suspension for violating the league’s substance abuse policy and subsequent arrest on two counts of aggravated assault, that’s just where they found themselves on Tuesday. Washington ran with the second-team defense while the newly signed Karlos Dansby worked with the starters during the first OTA of the Cardinals offseason.

Washington met with the media after practice, his first time in front of reporters since his arrest. Washington didn’t talk about the case beyond saying he hopes there aren’t any further repercussions from the league. Although he watched Dansby with the ones, Washington said he didn’t think his standing with the team had changed because of his off-field issues and that he was planning to keep his head down and work hard for the rest of the offseason.

“All I can do is come out here and work as hard as I can and let everything else play out. I don’t like to bring a lot of attention to the team,” Washington said, via the team’s website. “I wish I could’ve just been more aware of a lot of situations obviously on both ends of the stick with the league and myself. All I want to do is move forward from here and just try to help my team and bring positive attention to the team.”

No attention at all would probably suffice for now.

Permalink 12 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Arizona Cardinals, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
12 Responses to “Daryl Washington works with second team at Cardinals OTA”
  1. markywahlberg says: May 14, 2013 5:48 PM

say hi to your mother for me

2. thesteelers says: May 14, 2013 5:52 PM

LOLOLOL looooooooooser!

3. mobuccsfan says: May 14, 2013 5:53 PM

I’d say he is lucky to have his job…I could see him being cut and suspended the entire year–maybe even longer if he actually does some hard-time in jail. Interesting to see how this plays out–it’s a shame. He had a ton of talent and was probably one of their better defensive players…SMH.

4. luz56 says: May 14, 2013 6:09 PM

What don’t you understand…. Drug violations and assault! … You are either misinformed or just stupid…I believe the latter

5. pathsovglory says: May 14, 2013 6:09 PM

not the best way to get in the good graces of your new head coach.

6. gbrim says: May 14, 2013 6:21 PM

He got himself into this mess–don’t hand him anything. Instead, make him earn everything on his way back out. That is the best way to make the changes in his behavior stick for the long term.

7. cryanr says: May 14, 2013 6:23 PM

Anyone with half a brain realizes that the Cards are trying to get their first unit ready. Washington is out four games regardless of what happens with the allegations placed on him. It would be foolish for ANY team not to prepare for the worst.

4 games is a lot of time to miss in the NFL. It’s only smart to make sure the guy taking his place gets the most reps.

Washington is one of those players who doesn’t need much practice anyway. He’s that good.

8. thebag79 says: May 14, 2013 6:28 PM

He’ll get more games….. Fool

9. fordmandalay says: May 14, 2013 7:05 PM

Daryl, I’d like to introduce you to Titus Young. I hope he teaches you a lesson or two.

10. clssylssy says: May 14, 2013 7:31 PM

Washington’s off-field issues have been blown way out of proportion and his alleged “assault” charges are REALLY, REALLY murkey…he said/she said…”victim” with a police history for assaulting a former boyfriend and who admittedly threw a potted plant at him? One has to wonder who the victim really is in that mess and the violation of the substance abuse policy is equally sketchy. Sounds like the Cards are looking for a way around paying him the money he is due and are feeding the media storm. The alleged “violations” aren’t even felonies and if the NFL suspended all the players who had records there wouldn’t be anybody left to suit up!

11. djjackson81 says: May 14, 2013 7:34 PM

Cardinals are covered, Washington should re work that 10 million bonus for the let down to his team.

12. stell2013 says: May 15, 2013 3:10 PM

People just need to shut up about my boy washington u aint in his shoes so dont judge