Titus Young’s father addresses son’s actions: “That’s not my son.”

Lions Young Arrest AP

Whatever circumstances have led to former Detroit Lions wide receiver Titus Young to be arrested three times in a week, his father, Richard Young, doesn’t recognize the person he raised as a child.

According to Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press, Titus had spent Friday morning with his father prior to being arrested for the third time in a week. The pair had made a morning run to get doughnuts and coffee and returned back to Richard’s house in Los Angeles. Titus told his father he’d left his phone and asked for the key to retrieve it. Titus then took off and wound up back in jail.

“I hope they just forgive Titus because this ain’t none of Titus, it wasn’t none of his fault,” Richard Young said. “I look at my son right now, I don’t see my son. That’s not my son. I know my son. Titus is not the boy I really raised, I’m saying the way he act, the way he intermix in society right now. He shut down, he look through you, it’s like he’s depressed.”

Titus was arrested on DUI charges last Monday and released from jail. He then was arrested again doing his best “Gone in 60 Seconds” impression and trying to steal his car back out of the police impound lot. Then Friday he was arrested for a third time and charged with burglary, assault on a peace officer and resisting arrest.

Richard recalled a conversation with his son after his troubles with the Lions where Titus was struggling to figure out what was happening to him.

“He said, ‘I just don’t feel good. I’m not myself, I don’t feel good, Dad. I don’t know what’s happening to me,’ ” Richard said.

Titus was supposed to re-enter a program Monday for medical treatment when he was arrested and wound up in the medical facilities of the Central Men’s Jail in Santa Ana, Calif. instead.

“We want y’all to pray for the Young family,” Richard said. “Ain’t nothing we can do, man, but pray. We just want Titus to get well, that’s all we’re doing right now. We ain’t thinking about football, we’re thinking about our son now because I don’t know what’s going on with him.

Whether it’s through the legal system or through the efforts of his family, let’s hope Titus Young can get the help he desperately needs.

Permalink 108 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Detroit Lions, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
108 Responses to “Titus Young’s father addresses son’s actions: “That’s not my son.””
  1. patsarethegoat says: May 14, 2013 2:03 AM

Titus Young clearly has some mental health issues that need to be treated. No sane person would have behaved the way he did the past year. Although it is a slim chance, I hope that this man who is acting like a child gets the help he needs and finds his way back onto field.

2. timegambit says: May 14, 2013 2:10 AM

This used to be kind of funny. Now it seems to be getting really serious.

I’m all for bashing pro athletes that screw everything down the drain, but this kid is too young and I think he has a serious anxiety disorder.

Get him some help ASAP!

3. kd75 says: May 14, 2013 2:16 AM

You know a kid was raised right when his on the record statement includes: “I’m saying the way he act, the way he intermix in society right now.”

4. Mr. Wright 212 says: May 14, 2013 2:16 AM

You can bet someone will focus more on the father’s diction, instead of the context — realizing that Titus needs some serious mental health treatment ASAP.

5. seanx40 says: May 14, 2013 2:19 AM

Was it his son when he assaulted team mates in college? His son when he sucker punched a teammate last year? His son when fought with his position coach? His son when Titus intentionally lined up wrong on plays? Face Mr. Young, this is exactly who your son is.

6. flaccosunibrow says: May 14, 2013 2:19 AM

I sure hope there’s an underlying story we don’t know about leading him to do these things, and that he’s really not this senseless. It’s a shame to see a good player like this spiral out of control. Get a hold of yourself Titus!

7. britishraven says: May 14, 2013 2:23 AM

Actually there are several other things you can do than pray. Maybe if you had listened to your son 4 months ago he wouldn’t be in this situation now.

8. fdugrad says: May 14, 2013 2:36 AM

” It wasn’t none of his fault.” This says a great deal about how Titus became so empowered to believe there are no logical consequences for his behaviors.

9. captainwisdom8888 says: May 14, 2013 2:41 AM

Get right kid.

10. sparty0n says: May 14, 2013 3:03 AM

I do hope he gets some help. Football is secondary. This guy needs some serious help!

But, can you stop calling him a former Lions player every time he comes up? He was with the Rams last. Call him a former Ram! We don’t need any more press about Lions players getting it trouble.

11. aspensoar says: May 14, 2013 3:09 AM

Clearly we don’t know why Titus Young is acting so erratic, but its worthy of note that many severe mental disorders have a typical onset during late teens and early twenties. Young is 23 and its not inconceivable that he is showing the first signs of some serious disorder. It is, of course, quite possible that drugs are involved. Either way, his behavior has been pretty darn erratic, and according to his father in this article, he is not the same person he was before, suggesting to me that its likely either drugs or mental health issues are at play.

12. bleedburgandyandgold says: May 14, 2013 3:09 AM

The kid def needs help its to bad he had potential

13. redfield11 says: May 14, 2013 3:09 AM

I’d ask how long its ganna take for media to just stop caring about Titus Young, but then again nfl.com has a tebow tracker that no one tracks and we still get updates on ryan leaf

14. lofty35 says: May 14, 2013 3:15 AM

Has to be his evil twin

15. dannomac21 says: May 14, 2013 3:18 AM

I myself am not a father, but can only imagine how hard this must be for Richard and the family. Theyre in my prayers.

16. favresweiner says: May 14, 2013 3:26 AM

Hope that Titus Young gets some treatment soon. His actions have proved that he is not stable and he needs help NOW.

17. beelicker says: May 14, 2013 3:27 AM

Nobody ever informed this man what is a mental health warrant & how to file one?

18. cali49er707 says: May 14, 2013 3:37 AM

Truly sad circumstances.

Being a father myself I can only sympathies for the father & all this young man’s family. I truly believe the guy needs the proper help to hopefully turn his life around. Even though he probably will never play another snap in the NFL. The most important thing is for him to get his life back on track & to hopefully live a normal productive life football or no football.

19. andybutters says: May 14, 2013 3:41 AM

Maybe Dad teaching responsibility to his son would be a good start over denial.

20. hockeyflow33 says: May 14, 2013 3:50 AM

The fact that you think praying to some imaginary being and stating that it is not his fault means he will be doing this again and again. But hey, as long as you don’t steal my car feel free to waste your talent and get arrested as often as you’d like.

21. majormeatcurtains says: May 14, 2013 3:56 AM

Better get him professional help even though pops sounds pretty worldly.

22. juggernautsaint says: May 14, 2013 4:02 AM

Bet he still thinks he’s better than megatron

23. canjura says: May 14, 2013 4:24 AM

Another example of a young man (no pun intended) not being able to deal with challenges life has thrown at him. This will be a norm soon with our “everyone gets a trophy even though they get beat by 40 points” mentality our society has taken on over the past 10 years with our kids.

24. kicksave1980 says: May 14, 2013 4:39 AM

I can understand a father being disappointed here, but he loses me when he says “it wasn’t none of his fault.” Maybe that’s part of the problem. You give kids the knowledge and upbringing to succeed in life, but at a certain point they go their own way and it’s on them. When you say things like “it ain’t his fault”, you’re making it worse. It IS his fault. The sooner people stop blaming everyone else for their mistakes, the sooner their lives improve. He obviously needs help, but he doesn’t need people making excuses for him.

25. joetoronto says: May 14, 2013 4:52 AM

It’s gotta be tough to go through life with an empty head, but it is what it is.

He’s responsible for his own actions, no excuses.

26. milehigh53 says: May 14, 2013 5:11 AM

The kid was a great talent, but I think the dope has the best of him. It’s a shame because I really think he could have been a top 5 slot WR.

27. seatownballers says: May 14, 2013 5:27 AM

Get some meds titus! No one wants to see you dead

28. louhudson23 says: May 14, 2013 5:32 AM

This has seemingly moved into the realm of mental illness…best of luck to this young man and his family as they begin to address and deal with these issues,hopefully before any loss of life or injury to Titus or anyone else.

29. arrogantnation says: May 14, 2013 5:41 AM

I actually feel bad for Titus

30. sourdoughsam says: May 14, 2013 5:46 AM

Sad. I can’t imagine how proud they must have been of Titus just a few years ago and how scary it must be as a parent to see the state he is in now. The chemistry in a person’s body can change dramatically within a relatively short period of time. Whether it be drugs or neurohormones, I really hope this kid can get the right type of help to gain control over his mind again.

31. thesteelers says: May 14, 2013 6:16 AM

I remember seeing the pre-draft profile videos of Titus Young on NFLN a couple years ago and he seemed like a well-rounded man with good parents and he was determined to do great things. He needs to see a specialist ASAP.

32. seahawkshurtpeople says: May 14, 2013 6:27 AM

A few days ago when this story first popped I was amused by it. No more.

This kid is sick. He really needs professional care and I hope he gets it and is able to do something constructive with the remainder of his life. If not he’s going to end up dead before he’s thirty and no one wants to see that.

I can’t imagine the horror his family is going through right now. I hope he can turn his life around.

33. samapoc says: May 14, 2013 6:41 AM

Well, I can see why Titus is an idiot. Nothing like hiding from problems to avoid them.

34. ramcountry says: May 14, 2013 6:48 AM

Young’s latest escapades are the culmination of a pattern of anti-social behavior stemming at least adolescence.

Young’s parents-ordained ministers, both- can’t see him for the way he really is? Shocker.

35. blackqbwhiterb says: May 14, 2013 6:49 AM

I usually insert something hideous here, but in this instance I really sense this kid is a mess and needs help, he’s practically crying out for it. Hope he gets it.

When a guy gets busted for something stupid once, he’s a bonehead and we make fun. When a guy is outta control like this, he has issues and he will end up dead or someone else will. I hope he finds his way.

36. fischera50 says: May 14, 2013 6:51 AM

If he doesn’t get help soon, this dude will end up on a table in the medical examiners morgue! Sad

37. donmcg2012 says: May 14, 2013 6:52 AM

None of his fault?? A father in denial, so sad.

38. brewcrewfan54 says: May 14, 2013 6:55 AM

None of it was his fault? I tend to disagree with that.

39. GenXJay says: May 14, 2013 6:57 AM

Try explaining that to the people/authorities your son affected.

40. charliereno says: May 14, 2013 7:13 AM

I would take Mr. Young much more seriously if he would learn how to speak English properly.

41. thebadguyswon says: May 14, 2013 7:16 AM

Definitely sounds like depression.

42. blackqbwhiterb says: May 14, 2013 7:19 AM

Well, I’d really like to make off color jokes here, but this kid clearly is in a bad emotional/mental state… He does need help, it’s apparent he’s crying out for it… Even if the mess he’s in is entirely his own choosing, I hope the young man gets help and straightens out the mess he is in.

43. johanvil says: May 14, 2013 7:20 AM

You can say whatever negative you want about his actions and rightly so.

It’s clear though he needs help asap.

44. raiderufan says: May 14, 2013 7:21 AM

Praying is not all you can do….could be all you’ve ever done….which could lead to answers.

Buit it’s not all you can do.

45. trojanmaaaan says: May 14, 2013 7:25 AM

you certainly didn’t do your son any favors if you brought him up speaking ghetto English like the jibber jabber in your quotes sir.

46. rlj2170 says: May 14, 2013 7:26 AM

I hope in the next coming years we will hear about Titus as the next feel good story of recovery from addiction and mental health

47. omniscient48 says: May 14, 2013 7:29 AM

I wonder if something as simple as lithium could help him?

48. legeisyaj says: May 14, 2013 7:38 AM

Unfortunately you can’t fix stupid. Sad. Hope the guy finds the right path before its too late for him (or more importantly someone else).

49. jimmyt says: May 14, 2013 7:38 AM

Just read a post where the home owner said he was just about to shoot Young when the cops got there and he ran. Sounds like one more step and Young would have been dead.

50. elwaysagenius says: May 14, 2013 7:39 AM

“My son wouldn’t have gotten caught”

51. 13arod says: May 14, 2013 7:41 AM

somebpdy nneds to help him soon before it is too late

52. cags777 says: May 14, 2013 7:45 AM

Hope he gets the help he needs soon. Sad to see how this is turning out.

53. timmihendrix says: May 14, 2013 7:48 AM

A major step to him getting help would be his father not excusing personal responsibility for his actions. Nothing is more tiresome than hearing the creators/enablers of a sociopath talk about how lovely their little baby is. Grow the F up Titus.

54. cometkazie says: May 14, 2013 7:55 AM

I think it’s time we stop criticizing the kid and hope he gets the help he needs.

There obviously is something really wrong and help is available. The problem lies in getting him to avail himself of it.

Concentrate on the problem. There is plenty of blame, just get him help.

55. phinfan says: May 14, 2013 8:01 AM

All those joys of him joining an nfl team just went ‘flush’ down the drain

56. evilbilly3 says: May 14, 2013 8:04 AM

If I was one of those affected, I would sleep better knowing that Titus was getting help. What if Marshal is correct?

57. ninerfan81 says: May 14, 2013 8:05 AM

It’s apparent something is going on with the kid, I just hope he gets the right help before its too late. Its an apparent emergency situation now.

58. biggerballz says: May 14, 2013 8:09 AM

with all the double negatives his dad used, it sounds like titus is completely to blame.

59. bills4 says: May 14, 2013 8:11 AM

Boo hoo!

60. totallydisgusted says: May 14, 2013 8:16 AM

They can actually go through the courts and have him forcefully committed. Once they get him in the system as a mental health case it’s easier to keep him institutionalized. If he goes to jail he’ll just come out crazier.

61. sportsguy88 says: May 14, 2013 8:26 AM

Since he used a double negative, he means it was his fault. Richard Young should have just said that. Instead of beating around the bush by using a double negative. Because it was all his son’s fault.

Titus will never be in the NFL unless he gets some serious help (and of course serve his jail time).

62. benvincible says: May 14, 2013 8:26 AM

Tonight on E-60:

Jeremy Schapp Reports on the Titus Young Head Injury case… Was the NFL’s “soft rules” on Wide Receiver’s leading with their head to blame for the often erratic behavior of the former Lion Wide Out?

And a follow-up story on former Olympian Lo-lo Jones and her quest to remain celibate before marriage in jeopardy?

FML…

63. bartlettruss says: May 14, 2013 8:28 AM

I don’t excuse his actions, but I think this kid needs psychiatric care. I hope someone will help him get it. His NFL days are probably over. He’s probably going to jail. That much may be inevitable, but I wonder if he’s suffering from a mental illness. I hope he gets the care he needs.

64. papacrick says: May 14, 2013 8:28 AM

I don’t care what anyone says he’s still better than Megatron

65. MP says: May 14, 2013 8:35 AM

Get well soon Titus.

66. whatnojets says: May 14, 2013 8:37 AM

“Ain’t nothing we can do, man, but pray.”

How about some medical or psychological help?

67. classactcalvin81 says: May 14, 2013 8:41 AM

This is truly a sad case. I went from dogging the kid to really feeling bad for him. I hope he gets the help he needs. Go D

68. gixrider says: May 14, 2013 8:43 AM

This stopped being funny a while ago. This guy isn’t a turd ala Ndamukoung Suh or the old Pacman Jones, he is a seriously unstable individual who needs to be committed to a mental heath institution to protect the public and himself.

69. hehateme2 says: May 14, 2013 8:46 AM

The grammar is strong with this one… sounds like another delusional parent who refuses to see the truth in their child.

70. dylude says: May 14, 2013 8:46 AM

Mental illnesses can present in men as late as 30. If he has a personality disorder it would explain a lot of his inability to acquiesce to the structure of the NFL. He needs a coach like Coughlin to even have a chance to succeed in the NFL. He needs lots of structure and unfortunately he is about to get it the hard way in jail.

71. 49erstim says: May 14, 2013 8:48 AM

Does he need help? YES! However “this ain’t none of his fault”? Absurd. Stop making excuses for him! If he needs help GET HIM HELP! Do not continue to let him go off the rails! “this ain’t none of his fault”. Typical. I guess it’s societies fault then because your son blew his big chance and now he is going crazy. Nice. At this rate this MAN will end up dead, but don’t worry because “,this ain’t none of his fault”…..

72. oldirtyman says: May 14, 2013 8:50 AM

Mr. Young just face the truth. Your son Titus is a screw up, and you the father are partly responsible.

73. beastmode5150 says: May 14, 2013 8:57 AM

Was that English?

74. thraiderskin says: May 14, 2013 8:58 AM

I’m a jerk, I guess, because I don’t feel bad for him (Titus) at all… I will say that I feel terrible for his parents, sometimes you can do everything and still get nothing.

75. bobby2478 says: May 14, 2013 8:58 AM

The guy is suffering from some serious mental issues, possibly bi-polar or some other disorder. While praying is nice, it won’t do anything to help him live a normal life.

This guy clearly needs long term help from a mental health professional. Hopefully his father can convince Titus he needs help. You can’t solve serious mental health problems on your own or by praying. There is no shame in admitting you need help. That’s the only way he’ll be able to put this behind him and enjoy the rest of his life without hurting himself or others.

76. vette200 says: May 14, 2013 9:00 AM

“That’s not my son. I know my son. Titus is not the boy I really raised, I’m saying the way he act, the way he intermix in society right now. He shut down, he look through you, it’s like he’s depressed.” (Titus Brown’s father)

The same could be said for the majority of inmates in prison who didn’t receive help until it was too late.

77. scottieplongballs says: May 14, 2013 9:01 AM

Mental health problems are very difficult to understand. I feel bad for what he’s going through, cause ive been there. But he needs to fight for himself to find away. His football career is over but his life isnt yet. Find yourself Titus.

78. green41563 says: May 14, 2013 9:03 AM

Mental illness is the most underdiagnosed disease in the country.

I’m not a doctor, but I’ve seen and read enough to make me think the guy has a serious problem.

79. genericcommenter says: May 14, 2013 9:07 AM

With all the attention paid to concussions, healthcare for physical ailments, and on the field safety, I hope the NFL/teams pay attention to mental health services for their players. I’m not saying they don’t- I’m not privy to that. And I have heard some good things about teams helping players with depression and addiction. It seems like his teams had to see some obvious signs of potentially dangerous mental illness. No one owes the guy a roster spot in that situation, and you can’t help the unwilling, but I hope they do what they can.

FWIW, mental illness can hit anyone. I had a middle-aged family member that had a psychotic breakdown out of nowhere. This was someone that had great parents and extended family support system. Had a good middle-class job and went everyday for 20+ years. Family was alerted by employer when he didn’t show up for work one day. Over the course of just a few days he seemed to change into an unrecognizable person. Family ended up intervening w/hospitalization.

I’ve known plenty of “good” people to breakdown at some point or develop mental illness from a young age. I don’t get criticism of family- your parents can’t prevent you from developing sickness in most cases. The father is just saying what he sees- he doesn’t see the son he knows and loves, and doesn’t have any better explanation than any of us.

80. zeeman911 says: May 14, 2013 9:12 AM

Probably needs to just put the crack pipe down…..

Your not breaking into homes or cars for no reason, you are breaking in for $$$….

81. qbcoach9 says: May 14, 2013 9:19 AM

lots of other people in the world with problems, not many with opportunities that he had. I find it had to feel bad for a guy who has consistently made bad decisions in all aspects of life. Throw him in jail and hope he gets some rehabilitation, because he is either on drugs or has no grasp on how to live and abide by laws in a society where he is not ‘special’ anymore. Im just sick of the pity party for people who’ve made some money in their early 20s. Some people appreciate what they get and excel, some don’t.

82. mtheparrothead says: May 14, 2013 9:19 AM

He did however get his tenuous grasp of the English language from me.

83. stlunatik says: May 14, 2013 9:21 AM

I don’t feel sorry for this bum. He had the chance to live the NFL dream and blew it. Behavior like this just doesn’t start all of a sudden. Someone had to recognize this before and bring it to his attention. “But Cuzz ain’t nothin wrong wit me, I’m the best to ever play”. What a freaking moron

84. dirtydrew says: May 14, 2013 9:26 AM

It’s sad when a dad is paying for his own shortcomings as a father. He no be sho wha ta do. It appears Titus needs psychiatric help. He is bi polar most likely. His dad was not there for him early. Too bad a coach, team or friend were not there for him before he ruined his career. Good luck young man. I hope you get the help you need.

85. granadafan says: May 14, 2013 9:32 AM

Why is it that immigrants who come to this country can learn proper English after awhile and their children definitely speak like natives, yet entire communities of others who have been here for hundreds of years cannot?

86. getyourownname says: May 14, 2013 9:38 AM

Anyone who is a parent (and even those who aren’t) can sympathize with what this father is feeling. And it’s pretty clear he does not have the education or sophistication to understand how to contructively deal with it. We all know parents, even those who are educated, who are emotionally invested and cannot objectively deal with issues when their kids face adversity.

But it’s very hard to believe this is the first time his symptoms were presented. We have read about teams in the draft hearing stories about his college days, so you would think the college and his parents should have heard of these issues before. And if BSU coaches or administrators knew about these issues, and interacted with his parents about them, you would think they realized he wasn’t going to get support (meaning seeking medical attention, etc., not prayer) from his family and did not try to actively assist, they share some blame here; after all they wanted to benefit from his “services” as a college player. Or maybe they did, and his family rebuffed it. Same goes for the Lions. But I would like to know more about that aspect.

Not excusing Young for personal responsibility, but if it is a medical issue, there’s only so much a person can do on his own.

87. njraiderfan19 says: May 14, 2013 9:40 AM

Maybe it’s not his fault, Richard. Sometimes people with mental disorders are so out of control that they can’t ask for help (I have experience with this in my family). It’s up to a caring family to make hard decisions for them, and confront them to get them the help they need.

Or were you too caught up in your son’s big paychecks that you were afraid to stop the gravy train? Well, guess what….it’s derailed and your son’s life is a mess. Time to rethink the ol’ priorities.

88. realskipbayless says: May 14, 2013 9:46 AM

He said it was drop dead Fred.

89. whyamiacowboysfanagain says: May 14, 2013 9:56 AM

Um, I’ve seen the mugshots…. yes it is.

90. azarkhan says: May 14, 2013 9:58 AM

I hope society gets the help it needs in staying away from Titus Young, i.e., I hope Titus gets a long stint in jail.

91. immafubared says: May 14, 2013 10:03 AM

Ok, if its not your son, the who’s son is it and why is your last name Young. and why would you name him Titus?
    Go get him out of jail, take him home, and play some ball in the yard with him. Just don’t let him off his chains.

92. eatitfanboy says: May 14, 2013 10:19 AM

I’d like to thank all of the language professors on here for pointing out the imperfections in his father’s diction. That is clearly the most important part of this story.

I, for one, am done making jokes about this kid. He needs help, and I hope he gets it.

93. nou04 says: May 14, 2013 10:38 AM

I liked the direction this was going, the father saying it wasn’t like his son acting this way.

Then he lost me when he just wants forgiveness because “it wasn’t none of his fault”? Really? Who’s fault is it then?

That’s a big problem with our society. Not my child, he couldn’t have done any of that. It’s not his/her fault. Accept responsibility for your actions. That shows maturity and will go a long way for people when asking for forgiveness.

94. lks311 says: May 14, 2013 10:47 AM

As a Lions’ fan I bashed this kid repeatedly early on, but, it quickly became clear that he needed professional help—help he may not be equipped to get on his own. Also, not so sure that the home invasion wasn’t an attempted at getting shot, because he can’t bring himself to commit suicide…yet.

At this point, it’s not on Titus, it’s on the family to step in and help their son.

95. thewarrenmoon says: May 14, 2013 10:48 AM

His father sounds very educated, I bet he will get to the bottom of this.

96. thesteelers says: May 14, 2013 10:53 AM

Schizophrenia, to those prone, develops in the brain in the early 20s. This could very well be the case for Titus. Hopefully he doesn’t have recurring symptoms and it was just a couple episodes, but from the look of things, it doesn’t seem promising.

97. panicaddict says: May 14, 2013 11:09 AM

Is it possible that this guy just doesnt give a crap? Maybe some jail time will allow him to think about things. If he needs medical help, he can get it while he is serving his sentence.

Do the crime and do the time

98. yssupasigninnamnotyep says: May 14, 2013 11:10 AM

Sounds like the apple didn’t fall far from the tree.

99. soup1282 says: May 14, 2013 11:21 AM

ain’t got time for that!

100. ilovefoolsball says: May 14, 2013 11:28 AM

It sounds like a demon is following him around.

101. shadowcell says: May 14, 2013 11:35 AM

I’m not going to rag on his father for this. What’s he supposed to do when his son is publicly melting down, his promising career is disintegrating, and people are making fun of him and even wishing they could hunt him for sport and kill him themselves? Is he supposed to agree that his own son is some worthless waste of oxygen and some internet tough guy should totally come shoot him in the face? What kind of father does that?

Part of the problem, it seems, is that Titus Young doesn’t appear to really understand that he has a problem. And if he doesn’t understand that he has a problem, he can’t really reach out and get help for it, because in order to reach out for help you have to know that you need help. That’s part of the whole idea of being responsible for yourself; you’re able to stand back and view yourself objectively enough to see what’s up to you and what’s not, when you can do something yourself and when you need help. And when that capacity is impaired, it’s that much harder to take responsibility for yourself. Most people have a hard enough time doing this as it is, without getting arrested multiple times and flushing away a promising NFL career.

I’ll be shocked if he ever plays football again, since every team in the league would be more than justified in looking at his episodes on the Lions and not wanting to risk it, but I think the time for mockery is over. He has issues, mental or drug-related or whatever, and it’s in everyone’s best interest if he gets help in dealing with them so he can become a productive member of society. Like Brandon Marshall said, if he can somehow straighten himself out and somehow come back to football, he’ll be an inspiration; but, football or not, he needs help, before he winds up like Jovan Belcher.

102. shadowcell says: May 14, 2013 11:42 AM

And before anyone else mentions it, I don’t think *anyone* here is for one moment suggesting that Titus Young shouldn’t answer for the crimes he committed.

103. squared80 says: May 14, 2013 11:43 AM

I’d deny he was my son, too. But at least he’s still better than Calvin Johnson, right?

104. earlcampbellrules says: May 14, 2013 11:45 AM

Of course he has mental problems, most criminals do. Do you think our jails are full of well adjusted people? I hear everybody saying that he just needs help. Maybe, or maybe he’s just a piece of thrash that needs to go to jail. The fact that he can catch a football has no bearing on the situation.

105. mlindem2 says: May 14, 2013 12:28 PM

This week on Maury…..

106. tomlotter1948 says: May 14, 2013 6:22 PM

Just another pro athlete giving his future away…..WHY????

107. timmihendrix says: May 14, 2013 10:57 PM

This dude has been an arrogant lunatic for quite some time now. I’m pretty sure his attitude problems are the reason he went to Boise state. He had multiple disciplinary issues in college and multiple issues in Detroit. He’s a spoiled brat who is surrounded by people who excuse his behavior, some because he can run & catch others because he’s their son. All share blame in this outcome but ultimately its his fault for behaving like a wild animal with no regard for anyone around him (most notably Titus jr)

108. thirdistheworrd says: May 15, 2013 3:04 PM

tomlotter1948 says: May 14, 2013 6:22 PM

Just another pro athlete giving his future away…..WHY????
    _________
    I think that’s kind of the point of this whole article: Titus Young is not a rational adult making rational decisions at this point. Again, that’s not to say he shouldn’t face the consequences of his actions, just that, at this point, it’s hard to rag on him for the “Pacman Jones” factor.

Not to get all sappy, but a very close friend of mine had her life literally ripped apart by undiagnosed bipolar disease a few years ago– Young’s fathers reaction was the exact same reaction that we all had when she came home from college and was, mentally, a completely different person. No one could figure out what was going on until within a matter of weeks she had alienated all of her friends and family , done a couple stints in jail, and given up a scholarship to Columbia med school to go be a stripper in Vegas. Luckily, her parents were able to track her down and get her help but, like Titus, she managed to burn so many bridges so fast that her life will never be the same. (the remarkable speed of self-destruction behavior is another strong similarity– both my friend and Young essentially brought their lives toppling down around them in a matter of weeks)

Point is, when Young’s father says “that’s not my son,” it really means something specific and significant, and it also means this pattern is likely to continue until Young gets help or completely self-destructs. And though we don’t want him to serve as an example for future pro athletes, I don’t think anybody actually wants to see personal harm come to Titus Young, especially if he truly is not in control of his own actions.