Vikings unveil plans for new fixed-roof stadium

VikingsStadium

It’ll open in 2016, after the Vikings spend two years playing home games outdoors.  The wait could end up being worth it.

On Monday night, the team unveiled a proposed design for the new stadium, to be built partially on the site of the Metrodome.

“Tonight’s unveiling showcases a bold, iconic design delivered by HKS,” Vikings owner/president Mark Wilf said in a statement release be the team. “Not only is this facility unique to Minnesota, but the stadium will also provide Vikings fans with the best game-day experience in the NFL, which has always been our goal.”

The roof won’t be retractable, but it will appear to be that way.

“Vikings fans will be closer to the action than any stadium in the country,” Vikings owner/chairman Zygi Wilf said.  “The combination of operable end walls with a clear roof and large windows throughout the facility will give fans the opportunity to experience the best of both worlds:  an outdoor feel with protection from the elements.”

The new building will hold 65,000 fans, and it undoubtedly will host a Super Bowl at some point as part of the loose quid pro quo that arises from stadiums wholly or partially funded by taxpayer dollars.

Permalink 166 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
166 Responses to “Vikings unveil plans for new fixed-roof stadium”
  1. unbiasfan says: May 14, 2013 1:17 AM

Best stadium in the NFL for the best team in the NFL #skolvikings

2. benihanagt says: May 14, 2013 1:20 AM

I guess Seattle built their stadium a year or two too early for “loose quid pro quo that arises from stadiums wholly or partially funded by taxpayer dollars”

oh well

3. vienners says: May 14, 2013 1:23 AM

It looks good now but how will the view be when its covered in snow?

4. Matt says: May 14, 2013 1:27 AM

Glass roof is a great idea unless snow covers it up. Does snow ever fall in Minnesota?

5. ryanw822 says: May 14, 2013 1:27 AM

damn

these new stadiums of the 2010s make stadiums built in the mid 90s-early 2000s look like welfare cases.

6. gdeli says: May 14, 2013 1:32 AM

I wanted a retractable roof. This is still better than the dome AS LONG AS THE SEATS ARE BIGGER AND CONCOURSES ARE BIGGER(drinks food …cheaper-ha). I hate the dome from regular seats to the suites the seats just suck. 3 -4 times the bathrooms for women has to be also. I hope this stadium has a team that will finally win a SB after 51 years. Dump the dome and its bad nfc championship disasters.

7. kd75 says: May 14, 2013 1:36 AM

That is a major trade up from that eyesore FKA The Hubert H Humphrey Metrodome.

Got a little purple. Got a little gold. Art Deco design. Looks really cool to me.

Can’t wait to blow a 21 point halftime lead in the playoffs in that stadium #Giants1997

8. macneil4025 says: May 14, 2013 1:37 AM

The stadium looks amazing!! The real question, can their be grass with sunlight coming in all year round?? SKOL Vikes!

9. sherlock30 says: May 14, 2013 1:39 AM

It clearly looks like a upside down Viking Ship. Not unlike most of the Minnesota Viking’s football seasons.

SKOL

10. itssocoldinthed says: May 14, 2013 1:40 AM

So it’s not retractable, but is it collapsible?

11. smithopher says: May 14, 2013 1:41 AM

Honestly, it looks like an Olympic stadium. Not a bad thing, that’s just my initial reaction.

12. mobuccsfan says: May 14, 2013 1:45 AM

I think they could of went with an open air stadium. Would of been better.

13. skolvikes says: May 14, 2013 2:01 AM

A palace fit for a (Vi)king.

14. parkerdevrick says: May 14, 2013 2:03 AM

I’m all for daring and different when it comes to architecture, but that’s just plain ugly.

15. unfkwthabl says: May 14, 2013 2:06 AM

Go to vikings.com and see the video on this…

Its going to be one of the coolest stadiums around for awhile

16. wipackman1265 says: May 14, 2013 2:21 AM

Stupid !!!!!! Viking stupidity !!!! It’s pretty clear these people don’t get it !! All stadiums in Minne need retracible roofs …. Good lord !!

17. homerhanky82 says: May 14, 2013 2:26 AM

Bring on the Jealous comments! This thing is beautiful and will be the best stadium in the NFL when it opens. Skol!

18. competitivecompetitioncompeter says: May 14, 2013 2:39 AM

Clear roof? Neat. I really hope it doesn’t wind up getting all skungy-looking after a few years like every skylight ever manufactured by mortal man to date.

And hey, if the Vikes wind up moving to LA, you can always use it to grow tomatoes.

19. underlinebmx says: May 14, 2013 2:42 AM

imagine the superbowl in a snow storm in this… amazing design

20. camlwalk says: May 14, 2013 2:52 AM

I don’t like the new stadium because I think Ziggy should’ve paid for it. I don’t like when teams hold a gun to the head of communities and say “buy us a stadium or we’re moving to LA!”. Ziggy could’ve afforded it many times over.

21. purpwalk says: May 14, 2013 2:57 AM

as long as it keeps them in mn, i like it

22. theysone says: May 14, 2013 3:01 AM

Looks kinda cool, looks kinda like Noah’s ark.

23. inyofaceagain says: May 14, 2013 3:22 AM

This is going to be the best, most original, state of the art facility in the NFL. I know alotta MN folks wanted it in Arden Hills but this stadium is gonna make downtown Mpls shine. Congrats Mark Dayton & Zigi Wilf! Cant wait til the Superbowl comes to Minnesota!

24. fijabbersman345 says: May 14, 2013 3:23 AM

That stadium is so awesome!

25. daburgher says: May 14, 2013 3:37 AM

Its cool they shaped it like a boat keeping with the theme of Vikings.

26. drekomp says: May 14, 2013 3:39 AM

When you’ve been dating a ‘1’ (that might be generous…) in the Metrodome, pretty much anything else will look like a ’10’ so if some of us Vikings fans are overly-enthusiastic about the fact that our team isn’t leaving and we have a brand new home on the way, please let us have this moment.

I bet some Minnesotans will deem it too flashy but my initial reaction was extremely positive. I give it an easy ‘9’ and I expect to give it a ’10’ after my first visit.

Some purists will whine about the fact that it has a roof but this will hopefully allow the Vikings to continue to have one of the loudest stadiums in the league. Yeah, it’ll still be a temperature controlled pass-fiesta for Rodgers and Stafford but hopefully we’ll hide the crowd noise speakers as well as Seattle has and be able to make it work in our favor.

27. mec693 says: May 14, 2013 3:41 AM

that stadium looks incredible

28. InFact says: May 14, 2013 3:46 AM

When it snows, and the glass roof caves in, it will be an outdoor stadium.

29. bigmarsh57 says: May 14, 2013 3:55 AM

Holy taxes!!!

30. bleedtwincitiessports says: May 14, 2013 4:06 AM

It’s amazing looking! I did kind of like the one rendering of the stadium with the slopes and the glass that looked liked the water cube in china, but this stadium will definitely do! Largest score boards in the NFL, beside cowboy stadium! Largest glass roof in the WORLD, largest glass pivoting doors in the WORLD! I also like all the “V’s” I see in the structure! Cannot wait! SKOL!

31. logicalvoiceshouldsay says: May 14, 2013 4:24 AM

It would be the right call to put a roof on it but allow for natural light (like Detroit’s stadium) and air. A fully retractable roof would only be used by the Vikings for 3-4 games per year tops.

They built first class facilities in the Twin Cities for both the Twins and the Wild. This design is definitely unique, but not totally outrageous, and very functional. It looks like a win on par with (or not too far from) the other two stadiums.

But that right field fence for the Gopher baseball games is going to be 600 feet!

32. dafedub says: May 14, 2013 4:56 AM

Side doors are way better then a tacky retractable roof. With this, u get the sun light through the glass, and either temperature controlled imvironment, or the windy outdoor weather. This is all that we can hope for.

33. blazertop says: May 14, 2013 5:11 AM

I guess GB and CHI ought to start shopping around for roofs… What happened to playing football outdoors??

34. tv426 says: May 14, 2013 5:17 AM

So when the roof caves in, this time people will be showered with broken glass? Nice addition!

35. blanchonegro says: May 14, 2013 5:23 AM

its a shame a team with an automatic home field advantage called the weather/snow n they ruin it by putting up a dome AGAIN!!! They will suck until they go back to an open air stadium!

36. reptar24 says: May 14, 2013 5:46 AM

Can’t wait to see the Vikings whoop on those Jabroni’s in Green Bay/Chicago in this beauty.

Skol

37. kidfootball says: May 14, 2013 6:04 AM

They took design inspiration from the vehicle that the Jawas drove.

38. gsomatt says: May 14, 2013 6:16 AM

I think the concept artist and/or architect was trying too hard to be different.

39. waterboy420 says: May 14, 2013 6:33 AM

I have never been able to figure why the vikings are not smart enough to build an outdoor stadium. They went to 4 Super Bowls when they had an outdoor stadium and 0 since they’ve played indoors. The minnesota winters are the greatest home field advantage any team could have. Especially because they are a run first team. Would the fans rather be warm at games or win Super Bowls? Look at the post season advantage outdoor cold weather teams have had in the post season. i.e. Pats,Steelers,and Packers to name a few. So here goes to another 30 years of being warm indoors with 0 Super Bowls. Is everyone in Minnesota stupid?

40. Troll_toll says: May 14, 2013 6:38 AM

I must admit Green Bay’s new home away from home looks pretty sweet.

41. bloomer006999999 says: May 14, 2013 6:50 AM

Was at the Guthie, and what a great appearance from the state leaders, the Vikings Brass, Owners, Paul Allen, Players, former coaches and supporters.

What a magical night that, the state of Minnesota presented not only to the community, but to the respecting fellowship of fans aboard. Fans aboard, from the Packers, Lions and the Bears. Our division will remain in-tact for 30+ years.

You should be happy about this … if you’re a loyal football fan. You should be happy.

Yes … the Minnesota Vikings will now covet, not only the most ironic, but perhaps the most technologically advanced stadium not only HERE … but in the WORLD … a Stadium built here, in Minnesota.

THOUSANDS of NFL fans may disagree.

It’s okay.

Jealousy is a natural feeling.

Besides, look it up … Minneapolis was rated #1 the most *Tech Savy*, city in this Country. * 2009-2010*

We don’t have the biggest Stadium in the world, but we have the BEST STADIUM in the world.

=)

42. officialgame says: May 14, 2013 6:52 AM

We know it will be loud.

43. droyer85 says: May 14, 2013 6:53 AM

You could have linked to a story with more pictures, it’s okay I found some.

44. deck28 says: May 14, 2013 6:58 AM

Greenhouse???…been to Miller Park with the roof closed which has some side windows and it is hot and stuffy in there. Not to mentio this novelty shape is just that.

45. hscorpio says: May 14, 2013 7:00 AM

Most importantly, what kind of sound system will they be using to pump in crowd noise?

46. n001363 says: May 14, 2013 7:01 AM

Run through the flying visual on the teams website. Truly a one of a kind design. Worth the wait!

47. droyer85 says: May 14, 2013 7:03 AM

More Pictures:

48. hehateme2 says: May 14, 2013 7:04 AM

Cool stadium…. too bad the team isn’t worth it.

49. betterandbetterthan says: May 14, 2013 7:07 AM

It’s in Minnesota. It doesn’t matter if its in a done, no one wants to go to Minnesota in Febuary.

50. veence69 says: May 14, 2013 7:08 AM

What? Packer fans hate the new stadium for no other reason than they hate the Vikings?

You don’t say. Hey, have we landed on the moon yet?

51. patriotsdefense says: May 14, 2013 7:10 AM

The first design was better. It looked very modern European soccer. But I suppose it was untenable because of how expensive it looked. The new one is still really nice. Congrats Vikings fans!

52. rasalghoul says: May 14, 2013 7:13 AM

I can’t wait until it’s finished! Sounds like an amazing place for the Packers to win another super bowl. :-)

53. kingpel says: May 14, 2013 7:15 AM

Why are the Vikings and their fans so afraid of bad weather? The Packers and Bears have won championships due in part to tough homefield adavantage in the playoffs while the Lions and Vikings play in domes and get shredded by high powered offensive teams in the post season. I dont understand why Detroit and Minnesota are so reluctant to take advantage of the weather.

54. trevor123698 says: May 14, 2013 7:21 AM

I will never in my life enjoy a multi billion dollar monstrosity of american “lifestyle”. I once worked in one and I often saw the photos of the old school stadiums and I just don’t understand why the concept of the polo grounds can’t be upgraded through modern engineering to allow maximum seating. THose days are gone though and they need to hawk their 15 dollar drinks and foot long dogs

55. phinfan says: May 14, 2013 7:36 AM

Stephen Ross is flabbergasted

56. filthymcnasty1 says: May 14, 2013 7:45 AM

It looks like a Fleet Farm.

57. francheyes says: May 14, 2013 7:45 AM

It looks like a Viking ship….pretty sweet looking, kudos

58. cags777 says: May 14, 2013 7:48 AM

The outside of the stadium reminds me of a mega church (buildings I generally despise). However, the inside of the building more than makes up for it, and I am counting down to 2016! I can’t wait!

59. packattack1967 says: May 14, 2013 7:50 AM

10,000 lakes, 3 stadiums, zero Lombardi Trophies

60. whatjusthapped says: May 14, 2013 7:54 AM

I don’t get it, how could it be, “the best game-day experience in the NFL” and a Viking home game at the same time? That’s an oxymoron like military intelligence, kosher ham, or Viking’s Superbowl parade.

61. tecmobowl34 says: May 14, 2013 7:54 AM

Minnesota has a football team?

62. thatswhatimsayin says: May 14, 2013 7:56 AM

“That there Clark is a………ship?”

63. garyman1 says: May 14, 2013 8:02 AM

Looks good…. my only concern is with that clear roof, how hot will that building get on warm days ?

64. jrmbadger says: May 14, 2013 8:03 AM

*sigh* yet another modern eyesore. Why couldn’t they model it after TCF Bank Stadium (which looks classy to me) instead of the Weisman art museum?

65. We need Bud Grant says: May 14, 2013 8:07 AM

Dear Wilf Family,

We have given you $700M and the NFL is likely giving you at least another $20 more. You are getting this stadium for little or no money put of pocket. And you tell us “the roof won’t be retractable, but will appear that way.” Child, please, the people of Minnesota deserve better.

Sincerely,
    The Fans

66. jmak79 says: May 14, 2013 8:13 AM

I’m sure the first game ceremony will include the hoisting of their third straight Super Bowl banner and the retirement of Brett Favres #4

67. obsessedvikingfan says: May 14, 2013 8:14 AM

Love all the glass. Will be indoors but still need sunglasses. Love the glass doors how they open.

68. codiablo says: May 14, 2013 8:14 AM

It looks like a circus tent

69. iejdaniel says: May 14, 2013 8:28 AM

I like it! And I really like reading all the comments on the Strib site, from the whiners practicing their class envy. The Wilfs have more money than you, too bad!

70. binkystevens says: May 14, 2013 8:30 AM

I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

71. SparkyGump says: May 14, 2013 8:38 AM

I hope it can handle the snow loads it’s going to get in those Minnesota winters. It should be open air but I guess only Packers and Bills fans can handle snow and cold.

72. kidpresentable says: May 14, 2013 8:43 AM

Clear roof, huh? After the disaster that was the Metrodome, you’d have to think that AC is going out at some point turning the stadium into a greenhouse.

73. arnoldziffel says: May 14, 2013 8:48 AM

An outdoor feel with protection from the elements … aww – that’s nice. But bring your sunscreen Viking fans – we wouldn’t want you to get a sun burn …

74. duluthvikesfan says: May 14, 2013 8:50 AM

Looks great! The interior and alternate outside design pictures on the team website give you a better idea of what to expect. I big change from the current dome.

75. truehoosier62 says: May 14, 2013 8:58 AM

I think the new stadium’s design will take time to appreciate, even if some don’t immediately care for it.
    It has great sloping lines, plenty of glass to take advantage of the ambient light, wider concourses, and a Scandanavian “feel”. With the skywalk to be connected to downtown, I could see this becoming one of the more desireable venues in America for various events.
    Good job.

76. teamgale88 says: May 14, 2013 8:58 AM

I like it but I don’t understand why they are building it to host baseball games. College baseball isn’t the most popular thing in town. I guess I’d understand if this stadium is the backup for twins games if there is snow on the ground, but that brings me to my next point. Why build a roof on a football stadium where you can play in snow and rain but not on the baseball field where you need ideal conditions.

77. coachkilla6 says: May 14, 2013 9:01 AM

So instead of an inflatable roof that collapses under snow, fans will get to experience razor sharp shards of glass falling down on them instead. Brilliant design Minny!

78. scottieplongballs says: May 14, 2013 9:03 AM

Freaking sweet!

79. Troll_toll says: May 14, 2013 9:04 AM

Beautiful stadium. Will make a great home away from home for Green Bay.

80. jackflak55 says: May 14, 2013 9:11 AM

You know what is the best way to create an outdoor feel? Build an outdoor stadium.

81. foosball11 says: May 14, 2013 9:19 AM

A transpaent roof…is that so the fans can see the snow before it comes crashing down on them?

82. mack2x says: May 14, 2013 9:31 AM

Really? Must be a bunch of viking homers voting, that thing looks like a jacked up circus tent.

83. taintedsaints2009 says: May 14, 2013 9:31 AM

Another boondoggle at the expense of the taxpayer while the billionaire pockets the revenues. I can’t help but laught. Minnesota is the most consistently liberal voting state in the country, and you got tax the rich governor mark Dayton (whose family started Dayton’s) sitting up there with ziggi smiling ear to ear because they completely fooled Minnesotans with their new funnel for cash. Oh but electronic pull tabs will take care of all of it! Whoops.

Any other company that would want to build a new building would have to float bonds, but not the tax exempt Vikings. Ziggy won’t even be paying property taxes on this thing.

UN. Freaking. Believe able. But I’m sure Minnesotans will look the other way and go for the gay marriage legislation. They are being robbed while letting the burglars.right in the front door, but gay marriage, yeah that’s priority number one.

I wonder how much more money that roof tacked on to the price…

84. fargovikesfan says: May 14, 2013 9:35 AM

How many times do you people clamoring for an open air stadium have to be told? The Vikings WANTED an open air stadium, but the State and city of Minneapolis required it to be a dome so it could be used for other events (i.e. Final Fours, Concerts, etc), plus more likely to draw multiple Super Bowls with it indoors.
    With that being said, the glass roof will let in alot of natural light, and if the doors are open on both ends, will get outdoor air into the stadium as it is.

85. mvp43 says: May 14, 2013 9:40 AM

At least the Packers and Bears still play real football outdoors.

86. andrewd85 says: May 14, 2013 9:44 AM

All the “snow is going to collapse the glass roof” comments are stupid.
    I’m sure the architects aren’t aware they are building a stadium in Minnesota. It’s not glass by the way, it’s clear ethylene tetrafluoroethylene (ETFE). Stop acting like “glass” and “architectural” experts, these architects are a lot smarter than you. There will probably be heating coils in the roof to melt the snow.

87. GM says: May 14, 2013 9:45 AM

I wanted no roof, until I froze my rear off waiting to get into the Packer’s game.

88. kevinwi says: May 14, 2013 9:45 AM

The architects and design team knocked it out of the park with this one… Bringing the outdoors, indoors.
    Absolutely the most stunning stadium design I’ve ever seen. Can’t wait to attend a game there.

89. deflateddome says: May 14, 2013 9:46 AM

Specs of the Stadium:

•Approximately 1.6 million square feet.
    •65,000 seats, including some of the closest in the NFL; expandable to 73,000 for a Super Bowl.
    •Up to 125 suites and 7,500 club seats, including suites and clubs at the field level, some of which will put fans closer to the sideline than in any other NFL stadium.
    •Seven levels, including two general admission concourses with 360-degree circulation and various views into the bowl.
    •Highest quality HD video boards in the NFL located in both the east and west end zones and video ribbon boards throughout the interior of the seating bowl.
    •Over 1,200 HD flat screen televisions throughout the concourse for all fans in attendance to view the game.
    •Capability to host more events than any other large stadium in the world, including NFL football and a Super Bowl, MLS soccer, NCAA basketball and baseball, high school sporting events, motocross, concerts, conventions, marching band competitions.
    •Access points to the city and stadium site from all four sides of the stadium.
    •Large west plaza (over two acres in size) for game day, non-game day and seasonal public gatherings as a connection to the downtown corridor.
    •Lightest and most efficient roof structure in the nation for a major new stadium, which will include a single large steel super truss providing primary support for the main long span roof.
    •Largest clear ethylene tetrafluoroethylene (ETFE) roof in the world and the first on a stadium in the nation, allowing connection to the outdoors from a climate-controlled environment.
    •Largest glass pivoting doors in the world that will open to the west plaza.
    •Application for LEED-certified status.
    •Parking ramps with skyways from the north and south sides of the stadium and connections from the facility to the downtown skyway system.

90. ghlatty says: May 14, 2013 9:47 AM

There is a reason teams hate to play September games in Tampa or Miami and December games in Buffalo, Green Bay or Chicago. Use the elements, cold and snow are your 12th men when playing warm weather teams.

91. emptyjay429 says: May 14, 2013 9:47 AM

My first instinct was to think it was weird and ugly. I woke up this morning, took another look and read the details and I really like it now. It’s gonna be a pretty cool place.

92. turdfurgerson68 says: May 14, 2013 9:58 AM

Why would you build an enclosed stadium when there are so many dope retractable roof stadium designs available???

Seriously ALL new NFL stadiums should have retractable roofs, openable upper walls and a system for multi grass surfaces (like Arizona has).

Sorry Viking fans…no return to the 1970s home field advantage for you.

93. muskyhunter2542 says: May 14, 2013 10:05 AM

Will be The Packers home away from home!!!

94. immafubared says: May 14, 2013 10:05 AM

I love the idea of glass to let in light. Glass is great. BUT NOT IN FRIKING MINNESOTA WHEN ITS 15 BELOW ZERO MORONS! Glass is a poor conductor of heat and cold. That’s why no one has glass houses in Minnesota because its too dam cold.

95. tritz32 says: May 14, 2013 10:07 AM

No matter how many new stadiums are built The Frozen Tundra of Lambeau Field in Green Bay, WI will forever be the greatest stadium ever built. You can take that one to the bank, JACK!

For all you haters out there, come watch your team play there and tell me different after…

96. immafubared says: May 14, 2013 10:09 AM

Milwaukee and other stadiums have retractable roofs but the league won’t let them use them during playoffs. Isn’t that stupid?

97. andrewd85 says: May 14, 2013 10:09 AM

“Looks good. I hope they considered the similarity to a green house during the warm months.”

Nope, I bet these architects with PHD’s aren’t aware of that, you better let them know.

98. 7ransponder says: May 14, 2013 10:19 AM

I love this “use the elements” argument that so many people make to try and discredit a fixed roof stadium. If your TEAM is built well enough, it won’t need some outside force to help it win championships, that’s an excuse for a bad team that can’t win on pure talent and athleticism.

The stadium is beautiful, functional, state of the art and world-class in many features and will have its praises sung about it when people come to watch games there, just as Target Field did before it. I’m excited and any real Minnesotan and Vikings fan should be too.

99. stoutfiles says: May 14, 2013 10:31 AM

Have fun with that taxpayers. It doesn’t matter how nice it is when you can’t even afford to go. Between parking, tickets, food, and beer, it’s the price of a small vacation.

100. reemer894 says: May 14, 2013 10:38 AM

I think the Vikes kept the Metrodome so long just to piss off Packer fans. Those small seats gotta get uncomfortable for you wide loads who are used to taking up 3 spots on your Lambeau bench seats.

101. @Cereal_22 says: May 14, 2013 10:39 AM

Wow, freakin’ sweet looking. Will they let the Twins play there if they ever make the World Series ??

102. Rick Spielman is a Magician says: May 14, 2013 10:45 AM

Makes Lambeau look like a high school practice field.

103. Rick Spielman is a Magician says: May 14, 2013 10:49 AM

I like the idea of the glass roof but I hate the shadows that come with it. I remember the Vikings playing at Indy last year when their roof was open and there were shadows all over the field. It’s really distracting when watching on TV.

104. muskyhunter2542 says: May 14, 2013 10:50 AM

Looks like the Superman fortress of solitude

105. Rick Spielman is a Magician says: May 14, 2013 10:51 AM

Packer fans will never accept a stadium that has backs on the chairs.

106. deflateddome says: May 14, 2013 10:52 AM

tritz32 says:
    May 14, 2013 10:07 AM

—————————-

I really wanted splintered plank seating in the new Vikings stadium, so we could at least compare to the hallowed Lamblow Field. If the Vikings fans pee in the sinks will we finally be on par with the Packers?

107. deflateddome says: May 14, 2013 10:54 AM

immafubared says:
    May 14, 2013 10:05 AM

__________

If you could read, you would find out that it is not glass it is ETTE.

108. shaggytoodle says: May 14, 2013 10:55 AM

I think the clear roof is tacky, if they want to see outside build an open air stadium, if they are scared of elements build a dome, if they want both, build a retractable roof.

I know the ret. roof is more expensive, but the glass is corny in my opinion.

109. eagles512 says: May 14, 2013 10:59 AM

Dumb. Football is meant to be played in the cold

110. SeenThisB4 says: May 14, 2013 11:02 AM

Maybe the transparent part of the roof is on the north side of the structure, that will minimize the green house affect. On the other hand, maybe that’s what they are banking on.

111. SeenThisB4 says: May 14, 2013 11:05 AM

By the way, no one in that proposed stadium will be closer to the action on the field, than the view we get on television; just exactly why should anyone pay to see something they can see on television, in the comfort of their own home?

112. simpmcgee says: May 14, 2013 11:11 AM

Taxpayer-funded stadium for a tax-exempt business that’s rolling in the dough. That’s not right.

113. duece5 says: May 14, 2013 11:14 AM

Touchdown VIKINGS!!!!!

In every way, this multi-stadium will bring Viking fans, jobs, businesses, and good-will to all!

Absolutely awesome!

I love to read the jealous remarks!

114. granadafan says: May 14, 2013 11:19 AM

“gdeli says: May 14, 2013 1:32 AM
    I wanted a retractable roof. This is still better than the dome AS LONG AS THE SEATS ARE BIGGER AND CONCOURSES ARE BIGGER”
    ================================================

Maybe you whales need to diet and exercise more, then the regular-sized seats wouldn’t seem so small as your fat oozes over onto the next seat.

115. jaykray says: May 14, 2013 11:25 AM

To all the people going on about the glass roof and it being hot and taking the weight of the snow…

It’s not glass, its tetrafluoroethylene (ETFE).

As they mentioned in the unveiling, the snow load is something they did a lot of focusing on. Part of the reason it’s not a flat roof but a slanted roof.

Second, doing some reading on ETFE and you’ll see that its added benefits include energy efficiency (something they covered more in depth in the unveiling), cost effectiveness, durability, weight ( roughly 1%) of the weight of glass, and yes, self cleaning.

Should be pretty rad.

116. ruvelligwebuike says: May 14, 2013 11:25 AM

That stadium looks amazing…so when is the State of Minnesota and/or the Vikings going to screw it up like everything else they have ever touched since the beginning of time?

117. mvp43 says: May 14, 2013 11:28 AM

7ransponder says:
    May 14, 2013 10:19 AM

——————————————-
    You mean like amplifying the stadium sound to make it harder for the opposing team to hear the play calling………. you mean that type of outside force?

118. tokyosandblaster says: May 14, 2013 11:28 AM

Well, they went from worst stadium in the NFC north to ties with Detroit for worst stadium in the NFC north.

It’s hard to compete with Lambeau and Soldier, though.

Little victories. Vikes are used to them.

119. Rick Spielman is a Magician says: May 14, 2013 11:50 AM

How many people who wanted an open-air stadium are the same people complaining that it’s costing the state too much money? This stadium is going to pay for itself by hosting Super Bowls, Final Fours, NHL and NBA All-Star Games, Big Ten Championship games, etc. How about the Olympics? Is there another area in the country that will have better sports venues than the Twin Cities?

120. tokyosandblaster says: May 14, 2013 11:53 AM

I’ve heard they’ll be retiring Petersons number at the 1st game in the new stadium.

Going all out.

121. squared80 says: May 14, 2013 11:58 AM

Do you people not understand that the STATE will be running this stadium, and not the Vikings? There’s a reason it’s designed to be used as an everything stadium, not just football.

Do you actually think Minnesota would pay for a stadium without a roof that they couldn’t use 5 months out of the year?

And for those who don’t like the design (or are Packer fans), you obviously don’t know Minneapolis. This design is a PERFECT fit for that city, whether you like it or not.

122. theytukrjobs says: May 14, 2013 12:02 PM

The picture used in this article doesn’t do the final design any justice. That photo is an early piece of concept art. If you want to see the actual stadium design, in all of its magnificent glory, check out vikings.com. That weird tent slit opening in the picture above isn’t even on the final design, for example.

I’ll agree that the photo shown in this article looks dumb. But the detailed 3D models on vikings.com makes the stadium look totally awesome.

If you look at virtually any “best stadiums” polls out there you will find that the Xcel Center and Target Field nearly unanimously rank in the top 3 of their respective sports in best arenas. From what I’ve seen of the new Vikings stadium we are going to have 3 of the best sports arenas in the country.

As a sports fan you can’t complain about living here. Plenty of options.

123. obsessedvikingfan says: May 14, 2013 12:03 PM

Old and historic doesn’t make great. Bench seats and blaze orange are only great to Packer fans.

124. wipackman1265 says: May 14, 2013 12:03 PM

New Name …. Never Won One- Never Will Dome… Lambeau West…. Humpy Dumpty Dump Bowl II ….. Thanks for building another place for the Packers to dominate your pathetic team in.!!!! Oh yes and thanks for paying for it !! lolololololololol

125. theytukrjobs says: May 14, 2013 12:09 PM

The design is absolutely stunning. If this were an Olympic stadium it would be garnering worldwide rave reviews. Independant architects are complementing this design to the highest degree. It is a very modern stadium with some of the newest materials sciences technologies woven into it. A state of the art facility to complement a state with economy heavily tied to high tech industries.

But with all of that said, it doesn’t “look” like what most people are used to stadiums looking like. So certain folks will hate it.

But Vikings fans will love the stadium. And the fact that other people don’t like it will only endear fans to the facility even more.

Minnesota has absolutely hit it out of the park with their last few stadiums, Target Field (best in MLB), the Excel (best in hockey), and even the Bank is nice to a lesser degree. Now they’ll have hands down the best indoor stadium in the NFL and overall I think one of the best.

126. wipackman1265 says: May 14, 2013 12:16 PM

Rick Spielman is a Magician says: Everything dumb a Viking fan can say… You are clearly a genius…so get back in your cell and wait for your parole hearing in 2090

127. apmn says: May 14, 2013 12:35 PM

That glass roof faces south (you can see the river in the upper right corner of the drawing). I wonder how hot it is going to get for early season games?

128. larrydavid7000 says: May 14, 2013 12:41 PM

I am gonna miss the Dome very much since that was Redskins Territory SB 26. This new stadium looks like a huge green house. O well people of Minnesota have fun funding that huge green house.

129. mediasloppy says: May 14, 2013 12:42 PM

There are so many things about the stadium that can’t be shown in those pictures or even the video. And although the stadium looks like the bow of a boat, it’s supposed to be inspired by ice shards during MN Winters. The glass and technology going to be part of the stadium focus on companies in MN.

What people don’t understand is just how much this stadium will have as a multi-purpose event venue. Baseball, soccer, concerts, monster-trucks, Final Four and more. The hour and a half presentation went into great detail about this. It’s year round revenue just like the Dome. But don’t let that fact cloud your vision of the haters who think it’s going to be used 8 times a year for the Vikings and Wilf should buy the WHOLE thing. 500 million from MN residents will eventually be paid off. Just like the Metrodome.

130. shlort says: May 14, 2013 1:00 PM

Ugly. That is the word I’d choose to describe it. Some architect is trying to make a name for himself and designing some ugly retro looking piece.

131. filthymcnasty1 says: May 14, 2013 1:12 PM

It has been described by the national media with 2 key words:

1) Hapless.
    2) Tasteless.

132. johnnyb216 says: May 14, 2013 1:15 PM

133. andrewd85 says: May 14, 2013 1:22 PM

“Typical Viking reactions here. They could’ve built this thing out of rat turds and saran wrap and they’d still call it the best stadium in the NFL. Sorry guys. The rest of America still knows its ugly.”

Weird, that poll right below the story seems to indicate the majority like it.

134. andrewd85 says: May 14, 2013 1:23 PM

filthymcnasty1 says:
    May 14, 2013 1:12 PM
    “It has been described by the national media with 2 key words:

1) Hapless.
    2) Tasteless.”

Source please, thanks.

135. johnnyb216 says: May 14, 2013 1:34 PM

Andrew85,

136. filthymcnasty1 says: May 14, 2013 1:36 PM

The delicate glass roof design was inspired by Christian Ponder’s fragile arm.

137. thestrategyexpert says: May 14, 2013 1:40 PM

I’m not really impressed, but it does look better than every other stadium in the NFL, although that’s not saying much. Every team needs a radical new stadium design, it’s time to look towards the future and these teams are moving very slowly and not many seem to have any kind of fabulous vision for a stadium that can really knock your socks off.

I’m wondering about the specs on that TV too, to me it was embarrassing how poor and unimpressive the quality was of the big TV they got in Dallas which looks like junk now, so hopefully they have a serious piece of impressive equipment planned for that component.

138. 7ransponder says: May 14, 2013 1:51 PM

mvp43 says:
    May 14, 2013 11:28 AM

—————————-

As we’ve been saying for years on this topic, prove it.

139. andrewd85 says: May 14, 2013 2:00 PM

johnnyb216 says:
    May 14, 2013 1:34 PM
    Andrew85,

“that’s because the only people voting are Vikings fans. One of the first things you learn in any statistics class.”

So than how do you know that the rest of the Country doesn’t like it? Common sense 101. Otherwise site your source to support your argument please, thanks. It’s clear that you are a troll (most likely packer). Also you should capitalize “that’s” at the beginning of your sentence. One of the first things you learn in first grade English.

140. Carl Gerbschmidt says: May 14, 2013 2:05 PM

The “snowdrift” design was better.

141. tokyosandblaster says: May 14, 2013 2:29 PM

I think my favorite part of the renderings was the artist chose a photo of clay Matthews putting a huge hit on Ponder.

The Vikings even celebrate the Packers when it’s a Vikings unveiling.

Art = Life.

142. deflateddome says: May 14, 2013 2:46 PM

tokyosandblaster says:
    May 14, 2013 2:29 PM

The Vikings even celebrate the Packers when it’s a Vikings unveiling.

________________

Kewl, Can we borrow the Fabio Clay Matthews fathead from your celing tokyo? I think we can replace it with an incredibly handsome AJ Hawk.

I heard they were going to have a Clay statue in Lameblow, spinning around as Kaepernick runs by.

143. deflateddome says: May 14, 2013 2:48 PM

larrydavid7000 says:
    May 14, 2013 12:41 PM

———

Have fun giving up another 1st rounder as RG celebrates another 1/2 season on IR. I do love the headband and jumping jacks

144. deflateddome says: May 14, 2013 2:52 PM

filthymcnasty1 says:
    May 14, 2013 1:36 PM
    The delicate glass roof design was inspired by Christian Ponder’s fragile arm.

———-

All this and more from a team that couldn’t field a 2011 draft pick becuase of injury.

145. shaggytoodle says: May 14, 2013 2:58 PM

800 million dollar stadium

500K QB

146. Rick Spielman is a Magician says: May 14, 2013 2:59 PM

wipackman1265 says:May 14, 2013 12:16 PM

_______

What did I say? Sounds like a guy who all of a sudden isn’t as happy with his stadium is in a grumpy mood.

147. tokyosandblaster says: May 14, 2013 3:03 PM

The Vikings claiming draft dominance is kinda funny.

When you have picked in the top ten for the last 10 years (except one), and still can’t pick someone at the most important position in the game, you’ve redefined futility.

148. stellarperformance says: May 14, 2013 3:28 PM

I like the stadium design. It’s about time. It has to be used for many things besides football, and I am OK with that. The glass walls are a great feature. The sooner the better. Great addition to downtown Minneapolis.

….signed, another Packer fan that enjoys the rivalry.

149. Rick Spielman is a Magician says: May 14, 2013 3:31 PM

@tokyo –

2004 – pick 20
    2005 – picks 7 (acquired by trade) and 18
    2006 – pick 17
    2007 – pick 7
    2008 – pick 17 (traded)
    2009 – pick 22
    2010 – pick 30 (traded for 34)
    2011 – pick 12
    2012 – pick 3 (traded for 4)
    2013 – picks 23, 25 (acquired by trade), 29 (acquired by trade)

Of course, accuracy was never your strong suit.

150. johnnyb216 says: May 14, 2013 5:01 PM

Andrew85,

151. deflateddome says: May 14, 2013 5:37 PM

tokyosandblaster says:
    May 14, 2013 3:03 PM
    The Vikings claiming draft dominance is kinda funny.

————–

152. andrewd85 says: May 14, 2013 5:53 PM

johnnyb216 says: May 14, 2013 5:01 PM

“Andrew85,
    I don’t need a source, I’ve seen the pictures and so has everybody else. Also, no need to capitalize “thats” since it was the 2nd word in the 1st sentence. The 2nd word in a sentence doesn’t always get capitalized (compare my 2 responses to your babblings for an example). That wasn’t a period after your screen name. It was a comma. Are you sure you made it through 1st grade?”

Here is your original post.

johnnyb216 says: May 14, 2013 1:34 PM

Andrew85,

Well you would be correct if you started the sentence after the comma, but you didn’t. You double spaced and started your sentence below the heading (my name), so therefore you should capitalize “that’s.” You also forgot to indent if you are going to use letter form. Sorry, I think that was taught in second grade, so I can see how you missed that. You also forgot the apostrophe in “babblings,” but I’m tired of correcting you. Also are you saying you speak for the entire nation by saying “I don’t need a source, I’ve seen the pictures and so has everybody else?” You brought up that the poll was irrelevant and insinuate that you are at least an amateur statistician by taking a statistics class. Please provide me with a non-biased poll that supports your bold statement by saying “Sorry guys. The rest of America still knows its ugly.”

153. johnnyb216 says: May 14, 2013 6:33 PM

Andrew85,

154. cjvirnig says: May 14, 2013 6:52 PM

After 2 seasons of real, authentic outdoor football at TCF Bank Stadium, my guess is that Vikings fans will be JUST FINE with the roof on the stadium…

155. andrewd85 says: May 14, 2013 7:06 PM

“johnnyb216 says: May 14, 2013 6:33 PM

Andrew85,
    Nope, no need to indent either. And I should know since I’m an English teacher in south Minneapolis so you should just stop arguing. Anyways the point is that the stadium sucks. Even KFAN, the vikings radio network said so! Ill bet that if we asked 100 random people from all over the country, the vast majority would agree its ugly.”

That is the funniest thing I have heard all day. You’re not a teacher, it’s easy to tell by your immature comments. If for some crazy reason you slipped the cracks and were a teacher, than God help us all. No wonder America isn’t in the top ten in education anymore, but that’s not important in this case because you aren’t a teacher. Yes you would have to indent in letter form. I’ve been listening to KFAN all day and haven’t heard one person being critical of the stadium. There are some little things they don’t like, but that’s every stadium. You should do a poll and get back to us, being you speak for us and all. Otherwise I’m going to go with the poll on here. Go back to the packers board and talk Rodgers or Matthews while living in your mom’s basement. I hope you do live in MN and you end up contributing to your rivals stadium. Don’t like it? Go back to Wisconsin!

156. johnnyb216 says: May 14, 2013 7:20 PM

157. andrewd85 says: May 14, 2013 7:40 PM

“johnnyb216 says: May 14, 2013 7:20 PM

I don’t see what’s so immature about telling the truth. And besides your the last person who should be talking about posting immature comments.. .”

Wow that’s a great argument for a so called “English teacher.” What is that like the fifth time that you have started a sentence with “And.” 70% of the people like this stadium according to the poll on here, and no you can’t say they’re all Vikings fans because you are proof. The majority speaks.

158. albertmn says: May 14, 2013 8:46 PM

I am concerned about the clear glass roof. For those not old enough to recall or interested enough to have looked it up, the original indoor stadium (the Houston Astrodome) originally had a clear glass roof and it was a disaster.

159. johnnyb216 says: May 14, 2013 8:57 PM

Just stop. Its so easy its not even fun anymore. (Also, I was obviously in the 30% who didn’t approve of the new stadium. You know. The non-viking fans).

160. filthymcnasty1 says: May 14, 2013 9:20 PM

Will the new seating be wide enough for the Viking women?

161. n001363 says: May 14, 2013 9:56 PM

This comment string just smells of jealousy. There is no rectangle box in the league with this much class. All the “newer stadiums” just suddenly look so unimaginative. All that money, and your stadiums look old and boring. The architecture comments; obviously from some stunningly stupid people. Like they didn’t think of those details.

162. tokyosandblaster says: May 14, 2013 10:20 PM

deflateddome says:
    May 14, 2013 5:37 PM
    tokyosandblaster says:
    May 14, 2013 3:03 PM
    The Vikings claiming draft dominance is kinda funny.

————–

—–

The Vikings passed on him. TWICE.

Whoops.

163. tokyosandblaster says: May 14, 2013 10:28 PM

Out of curiosity, who did the Vikings pick INSTEAD of Rodgers?

Are they still with the team?

I’m betting they are, as the Vikings only pick pro bowlers in the draft.

164. wipackman1265 says: May 17, 2013 5:55 PM

Jesse Ventura and Al Franken could live in this dump

165. Canned Heat says: May 20, 2013 3:10 PM

deflateddome says: May 14, 2013 5:37 PM

tokyosandblaster says:
    May 14, 2013 3:03 PM
    The Vikings claiming draft dominance is kinda funny.

————–

Maybe so, but The Packers can’t draft anything but a QB, and he happened to fall to you.

__________________________________

You’re right, because drafting 8 players in 2009, of which 5 were starters their rookie season, and then winning the Super Bowl shortly thereafter isn’t exactly a recipe for success. Yet your leadership up there is so lost, they draft washed ups and sloppy seconds from the opposition. Packers have drafted the WR position so deeply, they can afford to give away players to you guys. Now I know why Franken and all the comedians come out of MN….you guys are hilarious.

Sometimes I wonder if the MN government doesn’t drug the water supply up there to keep you people just barely able to support life functions.

Nice digs….now
    hurry up and build it fast so Packer and Bear fans can still have 2 home games.

166. Sam Spade says: May 21, 2013 3:50 PM

Looks like a mega church.