Dolphins’ Marcus Thigpen aiming for NFL touchdown return record

Darcel McBath, Michael Wilhoite, Marcus Thigpen AP

In the first game of his NFL career last season, Marcus Thigpen returned a punt 72 yards for a touchdown. Later in the season he returned a kickoff 96 yards for a touchdown. Overall, he had a solid season as the Dolphins’ primary return man.

But Thigpen has a lot more than just “a solid season” in mind this year.

In 2013, Thigpen says he’s planning to break Devin Hester’s NFL record for combined kick return touchdowns: Hester set the record of six in 2007, when he returned four punts and two kickoffs for touchdowns, and Thigpen thinks he can get seven this year.

“My goal is to get at least seven returns for touchdowns on kick returns and punt returns combined,” Thigpen told the team’s website. “I want to do something that’s never been done before and anything’s possible.”

Oh, and Thigpen won’t be satisfied with just the greatest return season in NFL history. He also says he’s bulking up in an effort to convince the coaches that he deserves to be the team’s No. 1 running back.

“I’m working towards that right now and I’ve put on maybe six or seven pounds. I’m up to 200 right now and my goal is to be the starting running back for this team,” Thigpen said.

That’s probably not going to happen. But you have to admire Thigpen’s confidence.

Permalink 31 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Miami Dolphins, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
31 Responses to “Dolphins’ Marcus Thigpen aiming for NFL touchdown return record”
  1. floratiotime says: May 15, 2013 11:31 AM

This guy needs to be drug tested … immediately.

2. jaggedmark says: May 15, 2013 11:32 AM

Yeah, it won’t happen, if for no other reason than there are virtually no kick returns anymore. Thanks, Roger Goodell.

3. vgferenzi says: May 15, 2013 11:34 AM

Who?

4. seatownballers says: May 15, 2013 11:38 AM

He might be able to do that against the jets alone

5. mrpresident50 says: May 15, 2013 11:38 AM

Marcus Thigpen is a young guy, in his second year, and an extremely hard worker.

He’s one of those good character guys that Joe Philbin loves. He was used at a RB/KR/slot receiver last year. I would expect to see him in the same role.

He’s a dynamic player, one of the best KRs in the league last year. His goal is definitely attainable. Good luck to Thiggy!!!

6. annes22 says: May 15, 2013 11:40 AM

These responses on here obviously have no clue about him, so don’t even question it.
    He could certainly return a few, he’s no idiot when it comes to returning.

7. jack3dsd says: May 15, 2013 11:40 AM

I love when nobodys on the internet talk trash about a guy who’s working hard and setting goals

8. ridingwithnohandlebars says: May 15, 2013 11:41 AM

Between the changes to kickoffs and the fact that when a player begins to scare teams enough that they will not kick to them, it will not be easy.

9. deliveredbysherpa says: May 15, 2013 11:42 AM

Another non-story about the Dolphins, really?

10. citizenstrange says: May 15, 2013 11:46 AM

This is shaping up to be an incredible NFL season what with Marcus Thigpen setting the touchdown return record, Chris Johnson rushing for 3,000 yards and the Jets winning their sixth straight Super Bowl.

11. bettis3636 says: May 15, 2013 11:53 AM

I know a Yancey Thigpen… Don’t know a Marcus!

12. FinFan68 says: May 15, 2013 11:54 AM

He is a very good returner but 7 is not likely due to changes in kickoffs. He is shifty with decent speed. Not ideal at RB but he can fill in occasionally at RB and in the slot fairly well.

13. rickywatts80 says: May 15, 2013 11:55 AM

It’s good to have goals, Hester was incredible for that stretch… all time great performance.

14. bspurloc says: May 15, 2013 11:56 AM

it isnt possible.
    Once you return 3 u r supposed to be dedicated to being a receiver and not allowed to do returns anymore.

15. kevingreene160sacknoHOFclub says: May 15, 2013 11:59 AM

Eventually a guy will return one more than Hester, but it ain’t gonna be Marcus Thigpen.

16. ebr362 says: May 15, 2013 12:06 PM

I’m a huge finfin and while I actually feel optimistic for the first time in many years, I think it is time for Philbin to put a cork in these players mouths. Prove it on the field not the microphone.

17. papoose059 says: May 15, 2013 12:08 PM

Every day there is a new post of a Dolphin claiming how great the team or individuals will be. As a fan, this scares me.

18. chazzmon says: May 15, 2013 12:19 PM

I wish the all players on my favorite team thought this way!

19. ebr362 says: May 15, 2013 12:28 PM

Please Miami, did you not learn anything from the Jets and their predictions?

20. mgdsquiggy17 says: May 15, 2013 12:35 PM

” I think it is time for Philbin to put a cork in these players mouths. Prove it on the field not the microphone.”

Why should have a cork in his mouth? Because he said his goal is to break a record? He didn’t pull a Rex Ryan and say we are winning the Super Bowl.

21. spfripp says: May 15, 2013 1:05 PM

I actually like the confidence the players are showing. We haven’t seen this kind of swagger in a very, very long time. Hopefully it translates on the field. As for the all the undo pressure everyone is talking about. I say what undo pressure? The expectations are already high being that they made all those moves and people are already calling them the next dream team that looks good on paper but not in a real game. So the pressure is on regardless what these players say or don’t say.

22. zackattack006 says: May 15, 2013 1:32 PM

With all fairness to Thigpen, he never said I am going to” or guarantees anything. All he did was set goals for his upcoming season.
    Lets not make this any bigger than what it is.

23. beachsidejames says: May 15, 2013 1:38 PM

Never liked talking big but thats kinda of nice to see that they believe in themselves for a change. Also, it’s what you get from young players and this is one of if not the youngest team in the league. They have been made to look bad on the field for a long time and that just might be starting to change. Phins Up!

24. zenrooster says: May 15, 2013 2:05 PM

While at it, why not be the starting QB, LB, DE and WR as well? Saves a lot of roster spots and money

25. jmak79 says: May 15, 2013 2:17 PM

I’m no physical trainer, but adding weight generally slows a guy down? But my money on kick returns being broke would be Percy Harvin, thought he had two or three in just 8 games last year!

26. miamatt says: May 15, 2013 2:20 PM

As a boy, I knew that when I grew up, I would be the first player to throw for 60+ TDs and 6,000+ yards in a season, while also having the first 3,000+ yard 30+ TD rushing season. After an incredible 25 year playing career, I was to spend my retirement becoming the first coach to win 1,000 games.

Why think so small, Marcus?

27. smilesaustin says: May 15, 2013 2:25 PM

Unfortunately, adding weight to be a starting runningback is contrary to what typically needs to be done to be a great return-man. They are similar, but different skill sets. He would probably be better off playing at 190 or 185 to retain enough speed and agility for returns, whereas that’s likely too light of a weight to take the punishment of 20 carries a game at the RB position. You’ve got to pick your battles.

Good for him for setting goals for himself, though. Not enough players have that drive. Best of luck to him!

28. tamor78 says: May 15, 2013 2:42 PM

He’s just stating his goals not sure what the big deal is. Don’t your players to set the bar high

29. moeman79 says: May 15, 2013 3:14 PM

Some guys might be good or very good, but there is only ONE Devin Hester!

30. fins33 says: May 15, 2013 3:58 PM

I think it’s great. Everyone in the league is talented and athletic… the difference between good and great is determination and confidence. If he strives for seven he might get four and win a few close games.

31. biggs13 says: May 15, 2013 4:05 PM

It’s not like these guys are just running their mouths. Everywhere they go they get a mic shoved in their face and are asked questions. Hartline was specifically asked do you have the best WRs in the division. Is he supposed to say no? I bet Marcus was asked a similar set-up question but I didn’t see his interview.

With today’s social media, everyone is a reporter.