Erin Henderson “pissed” about lack of respect

Aaron Rodgers, Erin Henderson AP

It was supposed to be Manti Te’o. Then it was supposed to be Brian Urlacher.

But at the moment, the Vikings middle linebacker appears to be Erin Henderson, and he’s tired of hearing about everyone else.

“Coach told me all the time, ‘Play angry. You’re too nice sometimes. Play angry,’” Henderson told Tom Pelissero of 1500ESPN.com. “I haven’t been more pissed in — I couldn’t tell you. I don’t think I’ve ever been this pissed in my entire life, to just hear people talk about stuff that they have no idea what they’re talking about.

“I guess it’s getting to a point now where it’s like, ‘Dang, I just want a little bit of respect.’ I’m not asking you to call me the greatest linebacker to ever play the game yet. Maybe one day we might get to that point, but show me a little bit of respect for what I’ve done and what I’ve accomplished in this league.”

In fairness to Henderson, he’s an absolutely serviceable NFL linebacker. And there’s nothing wrong with that. But he’s not the kind of guy teams build around, which is why the Vikings have been, and continue to be, linked to other names to fill the middle linebacker job.

Vikings coach Leslie Frazier would only say that Henderson was “in the conversation” with a bunch of guys for the job at the moment, and Urlacher got the old “at this point” denial.

“So, I’m used to it. Just like now I’ve got to hear they might want to bring in Urlacher,” Henderson said. “Cool. Bring him in. And if he’s better than me, if he can outplay me at that position, then let him play — but just make sure it’s a competition, you know what I mean? Make sure I’ve got a fair shot at it and I get my fair shake that I deserve at the position. That’s all.”

Henderson has hung around for five years after being undrafted, so the chip on the shoulder is well-earned. But if he thinks Urlacher’s coming in to compete, if he ever shows up, he’s clearly mistaken.

Permalink 23 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill
23 Responses to “Erin Henderson “pissed” about lack of respect”
  1. inyofaceagain says: May 15, 2013 4:58 PM

He will get on the field and tear it up! Its in his blood (see E.J.) I’m a big fan of this guy. He almost got cut a couple years back and now he could be manning MLB for the next 5-6 years

2. db3300 says: May 15, 2013 5:14 PM

If you need something like this to fire you up to play a game for millions of dollars, then maybe NFL is not the career for you.

3. Rick Spielman is a Magician says: May 15, 2013 5:19 PM

If they do bring Urlacher in, he won’t be replacing Henderson. Henderson will be starting either outside or in the middle.

4. larryboodry says: May 15, 2013 5:22 PM

He’s got the attitude to succeed.

5. thestrategyexpert says: May 15, 2013 5:24 PM

The Vikings have one of the best RB’s of all time and are failing to capitalize on such a momentous opportunity. Sorry Erin, but you just aren’t going to get the respect you think you deserve unless you play on a strong team that does things the right way and competes for titles.

Stay in Minnesota for the money, if you want the glory, then I think you should have picked a different franchise. So that’s on you and I don’t give you any sympathy points for picking a team to play for that doesn’t impress me. I mean how can you get a guy like AP and just waste away these years? Go back to work and keep quiet until your team does something, then I might pass out some respect to you and your accomplishments.

6. Norseman says: May 15, 2013 5:28 PM

Vikings are not going to bring in Urlacher until training camp, if at all. Henderson, Mauti, Cole, and McKenzie will compete for the starting MLB position. Only if no viable starter emerges from that group would the Vikings consider bringing in someone else.

In the meantime, I’d say Henderson has the inside track on the job. But this is probably the most hotly contested position on the Vikings defense this off-season.

7. theytukrjobs says: May 15, 2013 5:31 PM

I don’t quite get some of this. Is strong side linebacker just some chump position that anyone can play in?

Regardless of what the Vikings do it seems very clear that Henderson will be starting at one of the 3 linebacker positions and would have the inside track towards playing nickel.

Everyone knows Henderson “can” do it. The question is whether or not Urlacher/Henderson/Greenway as your top 3 is better than Rookie/Henderson/Greenway.

8. vikesfansteve says: May 15, 2013 5:40 PM

See the game Vs the Colts where he got turned in circles if he wants to know why there’s no respect.

9. gnarlswoodson says: May 15, 2013 5:49 PM

Look at that bearhug he’s giving Rodgers in the picture. Thats what you want out of your MLB. LOL “Thanks for beating us man I really appreciate it”.

10. katopete16 says: May 15, 2013 6:14 PM

I got news for Erin….. If you played better, there wouldn’t be talk of others LB’s coming in. Buck up and play better! I sure hope the Vikes bring Urlacher in and kick the tires on that one…..

11. shaggytoodle says: May 15, 2013 6:47 PM

More action, less talk.

12. deflateddome says: May 15, 2013 7:14 PM

I was turned off by Urlacher’s comments towards the fans of Chicago. I don’t want him on the team. He can’t run well anymore.

That being said. Erin needs to play the position for 3 downs. They tried it last year in the nickel replacing Brinkley and it wasn’t overly effective when he was in the middle. Use the chip and get better.

13. seaeagle707 says: May 15, 2013 7:22 PM

If you’re not going to play tough, there’s no place for you with the Seahawks, after you finish up at our Minnesota training camp.

14. filthymcnasty1 says: May 15, 2013 9:55 PM

There’s a sickening entitlement mentality alive and well among the Vikings and their fans, as if they entitled to respect just like their government handouts.

15. vikescry1 says: May 15, 2013 10:47 PM

Rick Spielman is a Magician says:
    May 15, 2013 5:19 PM

And bringing Urlacher in does not guarantee him a starting job. From what I’ve seen from him lately, he would have trouble beating out Audie Cole or Michael Mauti. ———————————————————————————————————————————- does it really matter?? the viking’s suk anyway.

16. barbeaux says: May 15, 2013 10:51 PM

Who?

17. hashtagfaith says: May 15, 2013 10:54 PM

The attitude is there but the skills just aren’t. Maybe he can improve but from what I’ve seen thus far, he’s nothing more than a fill-in starter at best. I really would like to see him succeed as he’s worked hard, but washer machines work hard too.

18. brewdogg says: May 15, 2013 10:58 PM

db3300 says: May 15, 2013 5:14 PM

————————————–

Actually, I ‘d say this is exactly the kind of attitude that I want him to have. Be pissed that the general public thinks you aren’t good enough, and go out there and prove us wrong. If you can play MLB as well as your brother, we’ll leave you alone for the next few years.

19. GenXJay says: May 15, 2013 10:58 PM

“I don’t think I’ve ever been this pissed in my entire life, to just hear people talk about stuff that they have no idea what they’re talking about.”

Erin is too nice. He calls them “people.”
    I call them GB trolls.

20. maniccatastrophe says: May 16, 2013 12:33 AM

ill take Henderson over Urlacher at this point in there careers

21. stevent92 says: May 16, 2013 10:21 AM

MLB is one of the ONLY holes on this team. There are question marks at Receiver, QB, and Strong Safety, but they have the people in position to fill those holes. Really, MLB is the only area of true concern going into 2013.

That’s a good position to be in. It’s not as if a strong MLB guarantees the postseason.

22. gobacktocheeseland says: May 16, 2013 4:03 PM

I like Erin, but respect is something you earn not something you deserve.

23. ejmat2 says: May 17, 2013 7:37 AM

seaeagle707 says:
    May 15, 2013 7:22 PM
    ———————————————
    How about having your team do something relevent before talking crap about another team that has a far better history than yours?

Yeah it’s pretty funny how you are gloating over overpaying former Viking players as if they’ve been so much of an impact.

Let’s see. How did Tarvaris Jackson pan out? How about Sidney Rice? Heath Farwell? Steve Hauschka? Nate Burleson? Then you overpay an oft injured, aging Antoine Winfield? Ryan Longwell? Only time will tell if Harvin was worth the money.

The funny thing is how you all gloated when the Seahawks overpaid TJ Houshmandzadeh. How did that pan out?

What is even more funny is the one player the Vikings signed from the Seahawks, Steve Hutchinson, had much more of an impact than any of the former Viking players the Seahawks overpaid for collectively.