Patriots to cut Love after he’s diagnosed with diabetes

Kyle Love AP

The Patriots have parted ways with their second defensive line regular in a week, cutting starter Kyle Love with a non-football illness designation after he was diagnosed with diabetes.

Love’s agent, Richard Kopelman, told Mike Reiss of ESPNBoston.com that Love was diagnosed with Type-2 diabetes in the past two weeks.

Naturally, we are disappointed that the Patriots decided to part ways with Kyle,” Kopelman said. “Especially in light of the fact that a number of elite, professional athletes with diabetes – both Type 1, which is known to be far more difficult to manage than Type 2 diabetes – have had very successful careers in professional football, hockey, baseball, and basketball.”

Kopelman said Love had lost weight prior to his diagnosis, but he’s since changed his diet and regained most of his weight, and wasn’t limited in his workouts.

“Having consulted with leading authorities on the effects of Type 2 diabetes, we have every reason to believe that Kyle will, in the immediate future, be at 100 percent, and will be prepared to participate in training camp in a couple of months,” the agent said. “As Kyle said, ‘there is no way something like this is going to stand between me and a long and successful NFL career.’”

That career is going to have to be somewhere else, and he should get the opportunity.

He started 11 games last year, splitting time next to Vince Wilfork with the just-waived Brandon Deadrick, who was claimed by the Jaguars.

The Patriots brought in free agent Tommy Kelly and CFL standout Armond Armstead this offseason.

If they simply wanted to upgrade, that’s fine. But cutting a player who was useful to them when he found out he was sick underscores the cold nature of the business, such that anyone still wondered about that.

Permalink 28 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New England Patriots, Rumor Mill
28 Responses to “Patriots to cut Love after he’s diagnosed with diabetes”
  1. descendency says: May 15, 2013 5:25 PM

I really really liked Kyle Love. This is sad to see. He was developing nicely. Was he a great player? Certainly not. But he was a pretty good one that played through injuries.

I wish him well with the rest of his life.

2. hamishfraser says: May 15, 2013 5:29 PM

Unfortunately the diet and size of an NFL defensive linemen isn’t really what is recommended for a diabetic. Hopefully Kyle recognizes this and goes on to live a healthy, complication free life

3. tombradyallday says: May 15, 2013 5:29 PM

patriots are my favorite team but once in a while theyll do some cold blooded stuff. but kyle love shouldve watched his weight if wilfork can do it love shouldnt have had a problem

4. thestrategyexpert says: May 15, 2013 5:30 PM

Uhh the “effects” would have to be zero or non-existent for him to be at 100%. This guy is not a scientist, because either effects exist or not, and it sounds like he confirms effects do exist, yet somehow that won’t affect the player. There is no rational science here, and other teams should blacklist this guy simply for having an idiot advocate that likes to defy logic and basic science in order to pump up his client with garbage fluff talk. That’s not how you get the job done.

5. mrpresident50 says: May 15, 2013 5:34 PM

I hope one day he joins another team and pick 6s Tom Brady so his team could win the Super Bowl. Then I hope he runs up to Belechick and hands him the game ball.

I know, I’m a dreamer. Whatever.

6. neeley34 says: May 15, 2013 5:37 PM

It wouldn’t fly in any other profession, but no other profession treats it’s employees like the NFL.

7. Drummond says: May 15, 2013 5:50 PM

Belichick has stated that cutting a veteran early rather than later is meant to be a show of respect in that it allows that player the most time to be picked up by another team and the time to learn their system.

Just another take.

8. bugorfeature says: May 15, 2013 5:52 PM

If his doctors are OK with this why shouldn’t he play?

9. mrpresident2 says: May 15, 2013 6:14 PM

I betcha 2 UDFA DTs will make the roster. There’s no way we let Love and Deaderick both go without expecting someone(s) to step up in their place.

10. tigerlilac says: May 15, 2013 6:15 PM

Love was another overachiever that the Patriots developed into a guy that did his job whenever called upon. It really hurt them when he got hurt and had to leave the Ravens conference championship game. Love is the type of player this (former) long-suffering Patriots fan loves. I know his neighbor and the guys tells me Love is a great person and very down to earth. Alas, bad things happen to good people.

11. heisthejuan says: May 15, 2013 6:22 PM

Belichick also drafted a guy who had cancer and signed a guy who had a heart attack while at USC. Pats doctors must have felt this was a bigger deal.

12. frankiefiveangels says: May 15, 2013 6:22 PM

I think people who think that Love was cut just because of a diabetes diagnosis are wrong. He was an undrafted, decent occasional starter and backup, not a star. The Pats have cut Myron Pryor, Ron Brace, and Brandon Deaderick (all similar to Love) since the end of last season. They, I think, feel that Armond Armstead, Tommy Kelly, and maybe Marcus Forston or Cory Grissom will be better players. They kept Bruschi after a stroke so why would they cut Love for diabetes?

13. all4patriots says: May 15, 2013 6:23 PM

He played just 3 of 72 snaps in the AFCCG due to a knee injury in the opening series, so maybe the knee injury had something to do with it too.

14. cuda1234 says: May 15, 2013 6:50 PM

I hope all the people sticking up for Kyle Love can also put down their stones next time someone takes a shot at Jay Cutler’s demeanor.

15. natijim235 says: May 15, 2013 7:22 PM

kyle – you’re not alone – 30 million people in US have type 2 diabetes. eat right, exercise, check your blood sugars and take your meds and live a normal life and continue to play football

16. CKL says: May 15, 2013 7:23 PM

Most Pats fans really liked Love. He was a longshot story who was determined enough to become a starter. And it was apparent that he loves to play. I wish him well heath and career wise. I hope he does catch on somewhere else. He and his wife recently had their first child.

17. TheWizard says: May 15, 2013 7:23 PM

I’ll wait to hear from the Pats before making an assumption about why he was released.

Bill has demonstrated more than once that he’s not afraid of a player with a medical situation.

That’s fact.

18. mikebyrne1502 says: May 15, 2013 7:40 PM

They probably let him go because they are switching to the 4-3 and he’s more of a 3-4 DE. I see him getting a job fast, he’ll probably even be claimed.

19. bvandy says: May 15, 2013 7:44 PM

If Love was in fact terminated due to Type 2 Diabetes, I can’t understand how this is not a violation of the Americans With Disabilities Act. That is why I have to assume, contrary to the speculation by his agent, that this couldn’t be the reason for his termination.

20. raiderapologist says: May 15, 2013 8:19 PM

He could probably start in Oakland.

21. csdaddy7777 says: May 15, 2013 8:19 PM

Go get him Oakland we need some linemen bad among other things lol

22. bullcharger says: May 15, 2013 8:22 PM

Type 2 diabetes isn’t a big deal. I’m guessing that the reason they didn’t keep him is because he wasn’t able to play well. The Patriots will put anyone on the field that can play.

23. coolzog says: May 15, 2013 9:52 PM

I find it remarkable that a professional athlete actually developed type 2 diabetes during their playing career. Does he not work out every day? His diet must have been absolute garbage.

24. amecass says: May 15, 2013 9:59 PM

as a type 2 diabetic, I can say that as long as you maintain control, he could do the job. Look at Jay Cutler, doesn’t he have diabetes? I don’t know what the Patriots were afraid of.

25. sanclementejedi says: May 15, 2013 10:59 PM

Never second guess The Hood.

26. drelms says: May 16, 2013 2:00 AM

Nice Kraft, cut a guy with diabetes and tell the world you are looking to hire a gay player. Nothing like having your priorities held way up high.

27. mediasloppy says: May 16, 2013 4:43 PM

As much as I hate the Hero worship of every Patriots move by a mad genius of a coach, I’m not going to do so now.

I think the key factor is the guy just got diagnosed and it takes time for doctors and patients to set how they will go about making changes. If insulin is needed and lots of other factors you just can’t get a grip on while you are also working around a preseason training camp. I think I read it would take a few months. I do think the team could work something out at the same time, but can see why they aren’t…

28. darly314 says: Jun 15, 2013 11:07 AM

The Pats are TRASH; the worship of Brady, who left a pregnant fiancee for another…uh…. man/woman; now, cutting Love due to a medical condition! Jay Cutler is Type I, didn’t impact his playing.

Diabetics in America: LET’S SHOW OUR FEELINGS FOR THE PATTRASH!