QB Dayne Crist gets a chance with the Ravens

Kansas West Virginia Football AP

Dayne Crist, a highly coveted recruit coming out of high school whose college career didn’t amount to much, is getting another chance at making it as a quarterback after signing with the Ravens.

Although Crist was viewed as a future star when he first enrolled at Notre Dame, he suffered two serious knee injuries during his time with the Fighting Irish and was rarely effective when he did play. He transferred to Kansas and played there in 2012 but completed just 47.7 percent of his passes, with four touchdowns and nine interceptions, and lost the starting job late in the season.

After trying out for the Chiefs at their minicamp, Crist left without a contract. But the Ravens apparently see something in Crist that makes them think he’s worth having around, at least as a camp arm.

Crist will be fourth on the depth chart behind Joe Flacco, Tyrod Taylor and Caleb Hanie, and is highly unlikely to make the 53-man roster.

Permalink 8 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Home, Rumor Mill
8 Responses to “QB Dayne Crist gets a chance with the Ravens”
  1. thestrategyexpert says: May 15, 2013 4:19 PM

This fascinates me. I saw something special in Crist the first time I saw him play for Notre Dame. He definitely had some interesting talents and skills. I never understood what happened to his college career, but he did flash some good skills and leadership qualities.

2. spellingcops says: May 15, 2013 4:32 PM

If he can throw lucky jump balls and grow a mean unabrow he’ll fit right in.

3. ravanator says: May 15, 2013 4:39 PM

I will be cheering for this guy. Joe Blow Flacco will never be able to lead my beloved Ravens to the promise land again, without a crazy good defense to bail him out like last season.

4. scoobies05 says: May 15, 2013 4:50 PM

the guy with the unibrow had one of the alltime great playoff runs in history and has a sb mvp to show for it. grow up and deal with it. go ravens

5. purplereign52 says: May 15, 2013 4:55 PM

lucky jump balls? pretty sure flacco threww 11 tds in the playoff run and 0 ints….oh and by the way….he wonthe superbowl…and he should have atleastbeeninthe superbowl the year before…..if not for lee evans dropping a gw td pass that was right on the money. stop hatin and start respectin…after all they are the champs!!! oh an hes the superbowl mvp too

6. seanb20124 says: May 15, 2013 6:22 PM

Hope he does well, Maybe practice squad at best for now

7. cuda1234 says: May 15, 2013 7:03 PM

Wow, was John Brantley really that bad?

8. mazblast says: May 15, 2013 10:00 PM

While I don’t doubt Ozzie’s ability to pick players, I really have to wonder about this one. Other than don the golden helmet, what has this guy done since high school? He’s not even up to the low standard set by Jimmy “I’m a Star, Don’t Bother Me With Details Like Producing” Claussen.

However, if Ozzie is right and I’m wrong, it won’t be the first time!