Ravens’ Justin Tucker: I can have a perfect season on field goals

Ravens Chargers Football AP

Ravens kicker Justin Tucker has a simple goal for the 2013 season: Never miss.

“It’s not unrealistic to say that I can have a perfect regular season kicking field goals and extra points,” Tucker told the team’s website. “It’s just a matter of, no pun intended, putting in the leg work right now.”

As a rookie last season, Tucker went 30-for-33 on field goals and 42-for-42 on extra points in the regular season, then went 4-for-4 on field goals and 16-for-16 on extra points in the playoffs. Tucker says he remembers exactly what he did wrong on the three kicks he missed, and he said he thinks he’s a better player now than he was when he arrived in Baltimore as an undrafted rookie last year.

“Every single day is the same,” Tucker said. “When I got here a calendar year ago, I was thinking the exact same thing I’m thinking now: how can I get better and contribute to the success of this team?”

Perfect regular seasons don’t always end well, as both Gary Anderson and Mike Vanderjagt found out the hard way. Anderson went 35-for-35 in the regular season for the 1998 Vikings, but he missed a crucial kick in the NFC Championship Game, costing Minnesota a trip to the Super Bowl. Vanderjagt went 37-for-37 for in the regular season for the 2003 Colts and also made all his kicks in the playoffs after that season, but Vanderjagt’s streak ended with a costly miss in a 27-24 loss to the Patriots the following year, and he may be best remembered for missing a field goal in the final minute of a playoff loss to the Steelers, in what turned out to be his last game as a Colt.

Ravens fans would gladly let Tucker get away with a miss or two in the regular season if he stays perfect in the playoffs.

Permalink 54 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
54 Responses to “Ravens’ Justin Tucker: I can have a perfect season on field goals”
  1. ravensdominate says: May 15, 2013 12:34 PM

We expect nothing less, Tuck. This is Baltimore. Home of the World Champs.

2. granadafan says: May 15, 2013 12:34 PM

Good luck with that.

3. bennyb82 says: May 15, 2013 12:35 PM

I never missed a fg or xp last year either. It CAN be done.

4. logicailvoicesays says: May 15, 2013 12:41 PM

Maryland’s number two team needs all the help and points they can get.

5. heyguru1969 says: May 15, 2013 12:41 PM

Some people will probably blast the guy, but you have to admire anyone who wants to perfect their craft. I like the fact he admits he knows what went wrong on the misses. I’m now a fan.

6. bechillin says: May 15, 2013 12:44 PM

really…kickers making claims now. what was the NFL come to….

7. tritan306 says: May 15, 2013 12:44 PM

This man was a huge reason for the Ravens success last year. Clutch

8. blacknole08 says: May 15, 2013 12:47 PM

I like his chances. He’s only in his 2nd year and already among the best kickers in the league.

As a Panthers fan, I’d love to have a kicker who was as automatic as Tucker.

9. tuxbirds says: May 15, 2013 12:47 PM

Great ‘goal’ for a kicker!!! Right on Justin.

10. alabamacowboy says: May 15, 2013 12:47 PM

i like his confidence and he should absolutely feel that way as a player. however, now that he has stated his goal to the media i hope he misses his very first field goal attempt of the season.

11. bastyboy says: May 15, 2013 12:48 PM

Ahhhh the offseason!!! Season where everything is possible…

-Tucker will have a perfect season on field goal
    -Marcus Thigpen will break the record for most TD on returns
    -All Day will run for 2500 yards

12. tatatoothy says: May 15, 2013 12:49 PM

who wants to put money on him starting the season 0/1?

13. thesteelers says: May 15, 2013 12:49 PM

This kid couldn’t hold the snap for Suisham.

14. vette200 says: May 15, 2013 12:50 PM

15. darthraven887 says: May 15, 2013 12:52 PM

Still can’t believe this guy went undrafted.

16. inyofaceagain says: May 15, 2013 12:59 PM

Ah May, the month where the boldest predictions are made.

It’s better to miss one in regular season. Less pressure in the post season. Ask Gary Anderson.

17. AntoineDodson says: May 15, 2013 1:00 PM

Surely you can, but you won’t.

18. wsperegoiv says: May 15, 2013 1:00 PM

Blair Walsh is better

19. cambam36 says: May 15, 2013 1:02 PM

Yo logicailvoicesays,

Your Redskins represent the DC area, and play in VA. A true Redskins fan would know that.

20. wakaflaccoflame says: May 15, 2013 1:03 PM

Hey logicailvoicesays, how come the “Washington” Redskins don’t play or even PRACTICE in Washington?

21. birdobeamen says: May 15, 2013 1:03 PM

Best kicker in the game. Real talk.

22. wakaflaccoflame says: May 15, 2013 1:03 PM

“vette200 says:
    May 15, 2013 12:50 PM
    Hate to say this…but I have a feeling that Justin just jinxed himself by saying that! It never fails.”

Well I mean Flacco said he was elite and at the end of the season he was the last QB standing so I don’t think it always fails.

23. humbleminded85 says: May 15, 2013 1:04 PM

Wow I read this exact quote…2 weeks ago on Ravens24x7. Best part about Tuck is his signature knock out punch he does after every made FG. The kid does not lack confidence and after seeing wanna the greatest of my era in David Akers lose his mojo, it doesn’t bother me one bit that he’s saying this.

24. tsuscrumhalf says: May 15, 2013 1:04 PM

I am a Ravens fan & season ticket holder. And, I love me some J Tuck. But………. I’ve gotta feeling he’s gonna go Cundiff & shank the bejeebees out of his 1st FG attempt. May hit the pylon at the front corner of the endzone. Some things are better left unsaid.

25. scoobies05 says: May 15, 2013 1:05 PM

of course he couldnt hold for suisham. hes too busy kicking field goals and extra points. steeler fans make no sense.

26. flaccodelic says: May 15, 2013 1:05 PM

logicailvoicesays says:
    May 15, 2013 12:41 PM
    Maryland’s number two team needs all the help and points they can get.

Why would someone who claims to be a Redskins fan ONLY post on Ravens articles and never seem to post on any Redskins articles?
    Seems a lot like something a Steelers troll would do. Again and again. And again.

27. floratiotime says: May 15, 2013 1:06 PM

Way to put pressure on yourself Einstein.

28. patriots123456 says: May 15, 2013 1:06 PM

Damn good results for someone who plays “outdoors” in the “northeast”.

29. thestrategyexpert says: May 15, 2013 1:08 PM

heyguru1969:

I respectfully disagree, this guy just turned me off from being a fan. He is going to have a hard time winning me over. I hope he misses his first kick now just so we don’t have to possibly hear updates about him on a weekly basis as he tries to accomplish the goal. I love confidence just as much as anybody else, but I don’t see confidence here I see a flawed thought process that concerns me with how he went about saying what he did.

His choice of words turns me off 100% like a cold dead fish. Justin Tucker is a yucker. I wasn’t even going to comment at all on this story since I don’t like blasting players in general unless I have a good reason, but you claimed that we “have to admire” him, and I think it should be more of the opposite, but in the very least absolutely we do not have to!! I save my admiration for real stars that say the right things that impress me!!

30. tokyosandblaster says: May 15, 2013 1:09 PM

He’ll need to for the ravens to even sniff the playoffs again. If he misses one, they miss the playoffs.

Dismantled team, because of one overpaid player.

31. lonespeed says: May 15, 2013 1:12 PM

I can’t recall a kicker ever speaking up about anything and it being a good thing.

32. csdaddy7777 says: May 15, 2013 1:13 PM

Rolondo McClain retired from the NFL today. U can’t make it up. I thought Newsome was gonna turn him around

33. humbleminded85 says: May 15, 2013 1:13 PM

By the way Rolando McClain just said he’s retiring… also provided by Ravens24x7(RusselStreetReport.com)

34. golfongrass311 says: May 15, 2013 1:18 PM

I remember a year ago after the Cundiff miss, not many kickers wanted to come in an challenge a vet who had a great year minus that awful shank. UDFA Tucker comes in and pun intended, out kicks Cundiff. He has great touch back numbers as well and on those misses I think 2 were in the rain with possible footing issues. For him to have a perfect season Cox’s has to have perfect snaps and Sam needs perfect holds. But Tucker is clutch, even if he takes an illegal practice kick lol

35. hovadagod says: May 15, 2013 1:24 PM

Best kicker we had since the great Matt Stover hope he stays here as long as Matt did

36. psuorioles says: May 15, 2013 1:27 PM

I’m not sure what he said wrong here… it should be every kickers goal to have a perfect season.

37. buzzbeaubank says: May 15, 2013 1:27 PM

tokyosandblaster is apparently still in March and unfamiliar with Flacco’s cap structure.

38. studio26seattle says: May 15, 2013 1:29 PM

Watch, he’ll miss Week One on his first attempt. :)

39. justintuckrule says: May 15, 2013 1:36 PM

kickers.

40. deliveredbysherpa says: May 15, 2013 1:38 PM

Other kickers that were interviewed recently were quoted, “I’ll make a few and miss a few, eh… whatever.”

41. humpofdc says: May 15, 2013 1:44 PM

Why would you even quote a kicker? They aren’t even football players. I hope he fails….

42. prideof10000lakes says: May 15, 2013 1:44 PM

Gary Andersen was saying the same thing for the vikes back in 1997….

43. majormeatcurtains says: May 15, 2013 1:56 PM

Should have a lot of chances. I see most drives that don’t end in a punt or turn over ending in a FG attempt.

44. cadub49er says: May 15, 2013 1:57 PM

Kiss. of. Death.

45. borisbulldog says: May 15, 2013 2:20 PM

If Harbaugh only lets him kick from 35 yds and in , he may have a point!

46. ahostiletakeover says: May 15, 2013 2:46 PM

Keep hating. Justin Tucker, Blair Walsh, and Greg Zuerlein are the three best kickers in the league already and they established themselves as unproven rookies. All 3 were clutch last year, no one I’d rather see kicking for my Ravens that’s currently playing.

47. dwarftosser says: May 15, 2013 2:56 PM

He’s a great kicker.. I’d give him a better shot if the Ravens played in a dome.

48. scoobies05 says: May 15, 2013 3:02 PM

tsk tsk tokyo. know what youre talking about before you post

49. Joemontanaflacco says: May 15, 2013 3:12 PM

He may be perfect, but he won’t get a lot of chances cause the Elite Joe Flacco is all about touchdowns!

50. peytonsneckl8 says: May 15, 2013 3:24 PM

No you can’t. HTTR

51. partmachine says: May 15, 2013 3:25 PM

He didn’t say he WILL have a perfect season, he said he wants to. No kiss of death here, just a guy staying positive. He has a good shot too since there will be far fewer field goal attempts and many more extra point attempts. The Ravens got better people, look around.

52. moagecu says: May 15, 2013 4:36 PM

Thestrategyexpert….worst logic I’ve ever read

53. flavadave10 says: May 15, 2013 5:10 PM

What, are athletes now not allowed to hold themselves to extremely high standards? If this motivates Tucker to keep on striving to get better in every way possible, good for him. And who wouldn’t want to have a perfect season? He didn’t say he WILL have one, he said it’s possible and that it’s a goal of his.

54. raiderapologist says: May 15, 2013 9:01 PM

Justin Tucker and Dwayne Bowe use the same weed guy.