Doug Whaley to assume role as Bills general manager

Doug Whaley AP

The Buffalo Bills set up a succession plan for general manager Buddy Nix when they extended the contract of assistant General Manager Doug Whaley in February.

Though there was no timetable at that point for Whaley to assume the head job, Nix’s decision to step down earlier this week accelerated the process. The team has announced that Whaley will officially assume the position of General Manager on Thursday.

Whaley joined the Bills in 2010 as assistant G.M. and director of player personnel. He’s worked in NFL front offices since 1995 as a scout and in player personnel roles with the Seattle Seahawks and Pittsburgh Steelers before joining the Bills organization. Now Whaley gets his chance to be the guy with final say for the Bills.

Permalink 21 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Buffalo Bills, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
21 Responses to “Doug Whaley to assume role as Bills general manager”
  1. tonyugoh says: May 16, 2013 2:03 AM

Good situation for him. While I’m sure he was involved heavily in the draft and coaching searches, if EJ Manuel and/or Doug Marrone fails, Buddy Nix will be blamed but if they are successful, it makes his job a whole lot easier. Its a win/win situation.

2. grattanstanford says: May 16, 2013 2:09 AM

Damn what a g. Hope things work out in Buffalo. Not a fan but I think footballs better when the bills are good.

3. sickoe47 says: May 16, 2013 2:24 AM

Congrats are in order for mr whaley and the buffalo bills.

4. ultichiva says: May 16, 2013 2:27 AM

The new “WHALEY” album droppin this FALL!!!!

5. Remixed says: May 16, 2013 2:29 AM

Out with th old, in with the young.

6. liveandcrywithbills says: May 16, 2013 2:42 AM

The Whaley Era officially begins. On the bottom for so long… things can only get better. Nix did lay a decent foundation for the turn around… Now its Whaleys team to fine tune…

Enjoy your retirement Buddy!! You have had a nice career!!

7. mackcarrington says: May 16, 2013 5:08 AM

The question I will always have: Was the 2013 draft Buddy Nix’s or Doug Whaley’s? Who really made the final call on those picks? It just is absolutely strange for a GM to step down right after a draft. Nix didn’t even sign all the picks before he stepped down. Also have to wonder if Whaley was the one who made the call on Marrone . It wouldn’t make sense to me if Marrone wasn’t Whaley’s guy. New GM’s always want “their own guy”, right?

8. postaldude2012 says: May 16, 2013 6:14 AM

All I can say is, about damn time! Thank you Bills Organization!! Finally get someone in there that can do something to improve the Buffalo Bills!

9. leftyman says: May 16, 2013 6:26 AM

First thing to do..Get this team back to the playoffs!

10. bills87 says: May 16, 2013 6:55 AM

I love the way the Bills are doing things. Since Ralph gave Russ Brandon control of the franchise, things are different over at One Bills Drive. New young coaching staff, young QB, and now a young GM. We’ll see how things turn out in the next few years, but this team is different and heading in a new direction. The Bills will be better than people think this year.

11. exboomer says: May 16, 2013 7:54 AM

I’m looking forward to what Whaley can do for the Bills. Overall I think Nix did an adequate to slightly above adequate job considering how much of a train wreck the Bills were when he took over but they still had a losing record during his tenure. I think with all the new young staff the Bills have brought in this offseason we finally have a chance to turn things around.

12. unfortunatelyabillsfan says: May 16, 2013 8:13 AM

This is setting up nicely. I like that Nix will be a phone call away for advice whenever help is needed. Perfect situation for beig a first time GM, regardless if it’s the Bills or not

13. chaosthepitbull says: May 16, 2013 8:27 AM

I really like the direction the Bills are going… Youth in the front office will create continuity and stability the team hasn’t seen in years… Whaley has been put in a position to succeed… and he will…

14. dspyank2k11 says: May 16, 2013 8:30 AM

I like Whaleys pedigree as a talent scout for Pittsburgh and that hes a 100% football guy at the position where you need a 100% football guy.

Good Luck Doug!

15. tatatoothy says: May 16, 2013 8:47 AM

Go Bills!!!

16. buffalomafia says: May 16, 2013 8:54 AM

Another no name on the cheap GM!

Prove me wrong!!!

17. godofwine330 says: May 16, 2013 9:07 AM

I am glad to see another brother on the rise in the NFL front office. I do wish we lived in a world where color did not matter and only your job performance does but the world doesn’t work like that. But that is all I will say about that.

He seems capable and has the football pedigree from all of his previous stops and I wish him luck against the rest of the league except the Browns.

18. kgun80 says: May 16, 2013 9:38 AM

I agree with most of the posters here.. It’s a positive change. They have been trying the same thing for years. Retread GM, retread coach. I like the injection of youth. It seems like this staff is taking a completely different approach and when you have missed the playoffs for 13 years, different is good!
    I understand why some people are calling Whaley a no name. I get it, but he cut his teeth in Pittsburgh and they always seem to build good competitive teams, and always plan for continued success. And also when you call someone a no name, remember Tom Donahoe was a big name, Buddy Nix was a Big name! Sooner or later you have to do something else!

19. w1thinreason says: May 16, 2013 10:05 AM

Where’s the Florio article complaining about the lack of an interview of any non-minority candidates?

20. bonerchamp says: May 16, 2013 10:11 AM

At least he’s not 80.

21. EJ says: May 16, 2013 10:16 AM

I believe Buddy Nix did a solid job during his time as the Bills GM. While he was here, Nix pretty much re-built the whole team from the ground up. Not only did he make many positions much stronger, he solidified them for the next few seasons. With a few setbacks along the way, Buddy Nix started the team in a new direction, heading back toward the days of being on top of the AFC. I just hope Doug Whaley picked up a lot of good information while he was sitting behind Nix this whole time. Go Bills!!!! #BillsMafia #NobodyCirclesTheWagonsLikeTheBuffaloBills