Mean Joe Greene: Ndamukong Suh should keep playing his way

Ndamukong Suh AP

Lions defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh has been fined, suspended and roundly criticized as a dirty player. But one of the greatest players ever to play his position says Suh should keep doing what he’s doing.

Mean Joe Greene, the Hall of Famer who played for the Steelers from 1969 to 1981, told the Detroit Free Press that Suh shouldn’t listen to those who want him to be a kinder, gentler player.

He is a powerful man,” Greene said of Suh. “Unfortunately for him is that he’s letting some of this notoriety and publicity get in his head a little bit. By that I mean it changes the way he approaches the game, cause if he changes that he’s not Ndamukong anymore. And you need an edge to play in the pit. Anybody that talks about what you shouldn’t do hasn’t been in there. I think you have to play the game the way he does, but not go over the edge. A couple times he went over the edge, and he shouldn’t be afraid of that.”

Greene doesn’t think Suh’s critics understand what it takes to play defensive line in the NFL.

“I know that when the public gets involved and the talking heads get involved and they talk about something they don’t have any idea about — it’s nice and air conditioned where they’re sitting,” Greene said. “So he can’t let other voices dictate how he plays.”

Suh hasn’t responded to Greene’s comments, but I imagine that once he hears what Greene said about him, he’ll say, “Thanks, Mean Joe.”

Permalink 70 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Detroit Lions, Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
70 Responses to “Mean Joe Greene: Ndamukong Suh should keep playing his way”
  1. arizonahusker says: May 16, 2013 8:15 PM

Gotta love Mean Joe !!!!

2. bluffing024 says: May 16, 2013 8:16 PM

Mean Joe Greene, I wish there were more players in the league like you now days!

3. modellforprez says: May 16, 2013 8:17 PM

Now when the origanal MJG says something especially to another defensive player ya listen. the man was a monster and Steel Curtain Anchor…

4. cullimon says: May 16, 2013 8:19 PM

Haters can shut up now.

5. markcarroll85 says: May 16, 2013 8:22 PM

Geno Atkins doesn’t play dirty and he’s better than suh. Suh is good dont get me wrong but his name is far worth more than his talent.

6. lilrob10201 says: May 16, 2013 8:22 PM

Suh is just playing the game like it was in the 70′s. People call it dirty and things that Suh does is unnecessary,but the things that he does gets to the players head and knocks them off their game.

7. helloanybodyhome says: May 16, 2013 8:23 PM

So keep on stomping is the message?

8. ibreathefootball says: May 16, 2013 8:23 PM

I love Mean Joe Greene, one of the nicest former players I’ve met on my trips.

9. gokupantera101 says: May 16, 2013 8:24 PM

Since when is being mean bad in Football. Yes he took it a little far but he gets double and triple teamed at least on every play. One three hundred pounder battling two three hundred pound men all day….Yeah Frustrating. Suh is the man because the former man said so!

10. stainlessstill says: May 16, 2013 8:26 PM

Mean Joe for commish!

11. johnelwayishorsefaced says: May 16, 2013 8:27 PM

This quote perfectly describes so many of you commenters in all the posts about Suh on PFT. Suh is an absolute beast and I’m so glad that he’s on my team. I have a feeling he doesn’t really care much what people think about him anyway. He just cares about being one of the best in the league.

12. jakec4 says: May 16, 2013 8:28 PM

Go right ahead and play whatever way you want. Just don’t cry when you get fined.

13. beerbratscheese says: May 16, 2013 8:32 PM

I think most people’s problems with Suh come from what he does AFTER the whistle. As a Packers fan, I actually have a lot of respect for guys like Jared Allen and Brian Urlacher because of their tireless, relentless style of play. Yet they know how to turn it off when the whistle stops the play. Suh, to date, doesn’t appear to have that capability.

Suh shouldn’t have to change anything from snap to whistle, and I don’t think ANYONE ever asked him to do so. It’s that pesky after-the-whistle stuff that is damaging his reputation.

14. gmenfan1982 says: May 16, 2013 8:33 PM

In fine with his play, it’s the after the whistle behavior that bugs me.

15. gallaghedj311 says: May 16, 2013 8:35 PM

Well said. I’m no fan of Detroit, but enjoy Suh’s game and hope he becomes a legend. he’s a special player. Let us not forget this is a dirty game we love. It ain’t exactly hopscotch….

16. simplesimon1 says: May 16, 2013 8:36 PM

Thank you …. Finally, somebody who gets it.

I don’t want people to like Suh and I want everybody to have to game plan for him. I want teams to be worried that he’ll get through the line and kill the QB.

Keep playing hard and who cares about the rest. If you’re going to get called dirty, you’ve already lost. At that point, people call you dirty no matter what you do…who cares… just keep it up and don’t change.

I’m happy that finally Detroit has players like him… keep it up…

Oh ya…. and, yes, Fairley and Suh are the best DT combo in the league, just like he said earlier….Go Lions!!!!

17. jibberator says: May 16, 2013 8:41 PM

I dont think playing DT requires you to kick someone on the ground. But hey, im not the nfl player.

18. thefiesty1 says: May 16, 2013 8:45 PM

Suh will NEVER get a coke commercial. Kick him out of the league now before he does it again.

19. questforthesixthnotthelast2013 says: May 16, 2013 8:45 PM

Is mean Joe green on the lawsuit?
    C’mon, the guy kicked someone in the nards! That’s just dirty! Such play from a big man shouldn’t be a sign of greatness, if he had talent, he should used his hands not his foot, its cause he was laying on the ground instead of tackling him like he gets paid to do!

20. barrysandersjr says: May 16, 2013 8:45 PM

Seems like Mean Joe he’s sending out mixed messages.
    Also Joe G should remember that this is a different league than the one he played in.
    Suh is a great player but sometimes he just does things that’s beyond dirty. Ask Shaub

21. thesteelers says: May 16, 2013 8:55 PM

This is why we have six rings and you don’t.

22. otis52gsh says: May 16, 2013 8:57 PM

I hope he keep up I the way he is playing too, he will remain irrelevant that way.

23. orivar says: May 16, 2013 8:58 PM

It’s true, most people the talk about such things haven’t played the game on any level as an adult besides most likely throwing the ball around. Arm chair ‘athletes’ who couldn’t tackle a high school player.

24. stillers6 says: May 16, 2013 8:59 PM

That sounds all well and good but its a different era. In Mean Joe’s era you simply could settle things on the field and some of the extra stuff simply was let go. It’s a new NFL and if Suh wouldn’t change he’d continue get penalties, which would hurt his team and the bigger problem, miss actual games.

25. getadealdonealready says: May 16, 2013 9:00 PM

MJG played in a different time, and while sometimes I wish the league was more of a tough guy league like it used to be (guys cutting off fingers to continue to play, hitting a WR to jar a ball loose was just a good football play, etc), unfortunately that is not the game we have today. The NFL is in the buisness of making money, and it can’t do that if it doesn’t consistently have it’s “Stars” on the field. With that in mind Suh can’t continue to play the way he does, as he will face fines, suspensions, and eventually be banned from the league. One cheap shot that knocks A-rog out, and he will be gone faster than Randy Moss in his prime. Worse yet, players on his own offense could likely become the target of cheap shots, and while I’m not a lions fan you don’t want the game to loose guys like Stafford or Johnson to a cheap shot that was in retaliation to something Suh did. I’m not saying I like it, but this is the NFL as it is today, not the NFL the MJG knows, or remembers.

26. getadealdonealready says: May 16, 2013 9:03 PM

@gokupantera101

To answer your question since Goodell became the commish.

27. roymunson1 says: May 16, 2013 9:04 PM

Good for once to read a mans opinion of a current player.

28. croghan1919 says: May 16, 2013 9:06 PM

simplesimon1 says:
    May 16, 2013 8:36PM
    ……………………yada,yada,yada
    _________________________________

EVERYBODY already got IT.
    But like a few commentors have said, it’s the after the whistle stuff that’s his problem.
    Mean Joe doesn’t speak of Suh’s after whistle antics in the above report.

29. raiderapologist says: May 16, 2013 9:09 PM

johnelwayishorsefaced says: May 16, 2013 8:27 PM

———
    Yeah, that’s why he went on that diving show. He wants to be the best.

30. croghan1919 says: May 16, 2013 9:12 PM

And by the way, I LOVE watching Suh play, he’s a beast that needs “special attention” from offenses.
    I just shake my head when he has done/will do something stupid.

31. packerfan12 says: May 16, 2013 9:12 PM

As a Packer fan, I am not a huge fan of Suh, he still shows flashes of immaturity after the whistle, and continues to show what a jerk he can be outside of the game of football (eluding to the car accident when he tried to stop the person from calling an ambulance and seek medical attention). And obviously the Evan Dietrich-Smith stomp where he “tripped”.

That being said, like many people have already stated it’s not his game during the whistle that we have a problem with, it’s his nasty attitude outside the lines and after the whistle that rubs me and probably others the wrong way.

32. jcbadger34 says: May 16, 2013 9:13 PM

As a Packer fan, I hope he keeps on playing the same way too. I’m sure the opposing teams love the free 15 yard penalties he gives up.

33. monsterscream says: May 16, 2013 9:17 PM

Dear Mean Joe Greene,

Kindly shut up.

Signed,

Everybody

34. jakec4 says: May 16, 2013 9:19 PM

thesteelers says: May 16, 2013 8:55 PM

This is why we have six rings and you don’t.

—————————————————–

You personally played on six Super Bowl winning teams? That’s impressive. I’m surprised I’ve never heard of you. The Ravens are getting their rings in a few weeks, but unfortunately I don’t get one because all I did was drink beer, eat, and cheered from my couch.

35. skinsfantom says: May 16, 2013 9:28 PM

why has he not gotten the nickname KONG? its an awesome nickname and if you perceive that as racist then you’re a bigot. IT’S A GREAT NICKNAME thanks

36. footballguru205 says: May 16, 2013 9:34 PM

I believe Geno Atkins is the best DT in the game at least based on last years play.

37. shaggytoodle says: May 16, 2013 9:55 PM

Be as imposing as you can be, but once the whistle blows the play dead, don’t make any bone head choices.

38. mikesowers1 says: May 16, 2013 9:55 PM

His name is “Mean” Joe Greene, what else should he say? Beside Deacon Jones they are both little kittys……. That man was MEAN!! I get scared watching them interview Deacon now……….. Suh is dirty not mean, that is the difference.

39. hines86for6 says: May 16, 2013 9:57 PM

Mean Joe Greene is the greatest DT to ever play the game.

40. geefan1 says: May 16, 2013 9:58 PM

Not surprising, coming from Greene. He took his share of cheep shots after the whistle, too.

41. 1trinieagle says: May 16, 2013 10:00 PM

Love you Mean Joe Green, hate your Steelers… gotta give your team their props and respect. The league has changed Player Safety rules the day.

42. laserw says: May 16, 2013 10:16 PM

Suh has to remember the law of Karma – what you do to others you will have handed to you at a much greater level of discomfort. I hope he gets it and experiences a very painful career ending injury that leaves him penniless. There is no upside with Suh – trash is trash.

43. countyk66ers says: May 16, 2013 10:18 PM

“This is why we have six rings and you don’t.”

Iron Mike Michalske would not agree as 13 rings beats six.

44. jdphx says: May 16, 2013 10:19 PM

Have a coke and a smile

Classic!

45. bart3976 says: May 16, 2013 10:21 PM

No he really shouldn’t Joe….I watched Suh carefully at Nebraska. He was always a glory hog and a mean-spirited
    Player. IMO both of you are over-rated.

46. abninf says: May 16, 2013 10:22 PM

I have no problem with the kid except when he insults my intelligence and tells me he didn’t do something when I saw him do it on live television. If you stomp a man on the ground at least take ownership of it.

47. lks311 says: May 16, 2013 10:37 PM

Preach.

48. huhsj says: May 16, 2013 10:37 PM

Suh is so dirty. He had that 1 personal foul called on him last year. When will he learn?

49. lionsdraftguy says: May 16, 2013 11:19 PM

Suh is the man.

Anyone that hates him just wants sissy football.

Go lions

50. Deb says: May 16, 2013 11:21 PM

Joe has certainly gotten chatty on retiring from football. But I agree with his sentiments on Suh. He’s crossed the line a couple of times, but for the most part the “dirty player” stuff has been exaggerated. On the other hand, Suh can’t just ignore his image. It would be nice if players were free to approach the game with the same abandon they showed during Joe’s time, but in the Goodell era they just aren’t. It doesn’t matter that a hit isn’t really dangerous or illegal. If it looks questionable in the Commish’s eyes, it will lead to flags, fines, and suspensions. Welcome to American football, corporate style.

51. hatetriot4life says: May 16, 2013 11:24 PM

markcarrol …how can u say some ish like dat suh is better .atkins doesn’t face ddbl n triple teams all game every game n atkins lives n reaps benifits of a better defense like mayo in new england if fat boy wasn’t takin triple teams u wouldn’t even know his name same goes wack ass nickovich how ever u spell it ..but suh is always gon b suh would have loved to have him in dallas

52. bookofelisha10 says: May 16, 2013 11:26 PM

bluffing024 says:
    May 16, 2013 8:16 PM

_____

you can thank roger goodell for that..

53. bookofelisha10 says: May 16, 2013 11:28 PM

suhs issue is after the whistle not during it

54. vikescry1 says: May 16, 2013 11:34 PM

nothing against mjg he was one of the games greats for sure. but as a fan of football for 35 years, reggie white is also one of tha all time greats and he never stomped a player while he was down, kicked another player in the groin. i maybe an armchair qb in air conditioning, and i like a mean streak but there still has to be a respect for your opponent. without that your still a dirty player, and if you played next to reggie he’d show you how it was done without cheap shots.

55. hatesycophants says: May 17, 2013 12:03 AM

Awesome!

56. bla bla bla says: May 17, 2013 4:34 AM

otis52gsh says:
    May 16, 2013 8:57 PM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I dislike Suh a great deal, but you clearly don’t know what irrelevant means.

57. engymass2 says: May 17, 2013 5:31 AM

When Mean Joe played, half the Steeler defense were “Suh-like”. They would physically hurt you during play, they would physically hurt you in-between plays. And their plenty of video out there to prove it !

58. rugolin says: May 17, 2013 5:57 AM

Joe Greene thinks Suh should be Marty McFly in Back to the Future. What you can do in the 70′s you can not do now and Suh suspensions uphold that empirical truth. Greene played in a time where it was literally the Wild West and the lawsuits piling up against the NFL is a blowback of that. Suh doesn’t seem to get it that the play stop with the whistle and player safety includes stomping someone’s head. Here’s hoping that both Joe Greene and Suh evolve into more forward thinking players and persons.

59. jp4120 says: May 17, 2013 7:09 AM

love it when old retired irrelevant players say dumb things to get their names in the paper
    maybe some o-lineman will balls should give ‘Sue’ the Dobler treatment? leg whip to the nuts or a sideblock to the knee for a quick trip to surgery town.

60. Joemontanaflacco says: May 17, 2013 8:18 AM

Makes sense that a former Steeler would advocate for dirty play. How do you think they got all those rings?

61. originalsteelcurtain says: May 17, 2013 10:25 AM

Opposing forces have been on a collision course for awhile now.

As Greene says, you have to have an edge to play in the pits in the NFL.

As Czar Goodell has shown, powder-puff football is “his” future.

Time for a Commish who actually played the game!

62. grumpyoleman says: May 17, 2013 10:40 AM

I love how people call him dirty for stomping on some DB who was messing with his shoes all game long. I probably would have kicked him in the sack instead of stomping on his arm though.

63. enoughofthatalready says: May 17, 2013 11:47 AM

Joemontanaflacco says:
    May 17, 2013 8:18 AM

64. enoughofthatalready says: May 17, 2013 11:49 AM

engymass2 says:
    May 17, 2013 5:31 AM
    Yeah………and the defenses of the Cowboys, Dolphins, Vikings and Raiders played nice during the same time. Duh

65. enoughofthatalready says: May 17, 2013 11:53 AM

countyk66ers says:
    May 16, 2013 10:18 PM
    “This is why we have six rings and you don’t.”

Iron Mike Michalske would not agree as 13 rings beats six.
    Ummmm………..Michalske won 3 championships in the 1930′s and MJG won 4 Super Bowls in the 70s. People, stop equating championships and Super Bowls to players that were not playing or not even ALIVE during successive championships and Super Bowls.

66. BringBackTheFlex says: May 17, 2013 12:07 PM

“And you need an edge to play in the pit. ”

“Like Steroids. That’s why so many of the players I played with are dead of weird cancers and afflictions in their 50′s. But, it gave us an edge, man.”

- J. Greene

67. Joemontanaflacco says: May 17, 2013 6:53 PM

“I am sure it had nothing to do with the slew of Hall of Fame players and Hall of Fame caliber players like Terry Bradshaw, Franco Harris, Rocky Bleier, John Stallworth, Lynn Swann, Mike Webster, LC Greenwood, Mean Joe Greene, Jack Lambert, Jack Hamm, Mel Blount and Donnie Shell.”

They were all dirty players, too? Didn’t know that.

68. Nofoolnodrool says: May 17, 2013 8:15 PM

They were all dirty players, too? Didn’t know that.

0 0
    From the content of your posts there is obviously a lot you don’t know. To say something negative about players you weren’t alive to see is not only unfair, but stupid at best. Stick to the players you have watched the last two years and comment on them. Leave the others for the adults to comment on. Thanks skippy.

69. Joemontanaflacco says: May 18, 2013 8:02 AM

Nofool, I’ve been watching pro football since Darryl Lamonica tossed that stupid lateral and sent the Jets to the SB. And what a hypocrite you are to chastise people about being unfair to players! Ray Lewis could sue you 100 times over for the number of times you falsely called him a murderer.

70. andrewproughcfe says: May 20, 2013 2:57 PM

helloanybodyhome says:
    May 16, 2013 8:23 PM
    So keep on stomping is the message?

==============================

You don’t know much, do you? Stomping was the least of what Mean Joe did. He jacked guys up numerous times on the playing field.

Mean Joe more than lived up to his nickname.