Bruce Irvin apologizes again, says image has taken “another blow”

Green Bay Packers v Seattle Seahawks Getty Images

Seahawks defensive end Bruce Irvin issued another public apology Friday after being suspended four games for violating the NFL’s policy on performance-enhancing drugs.

The statement, which was posted on Irvin’s verified Twitter account, followed an apology issued through the team earlier Friday.

Irvin’s newest statement is a reflection of his contrition, and it’s a window into how he is coping with the fall-out from some bad news — news he knew was coming.

“I messed up and I feel so bad and have been depressed for weeks now,” Irvin said.

Irvin’s backstory is well-known; before he became a star at West Virginia, he encountered off-field trouble and even spent a short stint in prison.

In the statement posted to his Twitter account Friday, Irvin indicated he suspected the suspension could hurt the way he was perceived.

“I’ve had sleepless nights because I knew when this came out, I would let so many people down, including myself,” Irvin wrote. “I have worked so hard to rebuild my image and it takes another blow.”

Apologizing twice won’t undo a four-game suspension, but say this for Irvin — he’s at least shown that his actions impact numerous people, and he has been willing to publicly say he made a mistake. Neither action is easy.

Permalink 48 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Seattle Seahawks
48 Responses to “Bruce Irvin apologizes again, says image has taken “another blow””
  1. stolendog23 says: May 17, 2013 9:08 PM

Here’s what my friend tells his children…

“Stop doing things that make you say I’m sorry”

2. skinsfaninok says: May 17, 2013 9:08 PM

he’s not sorry, he’s sorry because he got caught. Seattle is a bunch of cheaters, that’s 3 now from that defense that used PEDs. classic pete the cheat Carroll.

3. shaggytoodle says: May 17, 2013 9:15 PM

Where does Seattle get all that speed?

4. bmoreravens1012013 says: May 17, 2013 9:21 PM

Unless your heart is cold or you are perfect, how can you not feel some semblance of empathy. His latest act of contrition has definitely softened my position about Irvin. He has no one to blame but himself but at least I feel as though he is deeply referring his decision to take whatever he took in ths first place. We all deserve second chances people. I’m not saying he has turned a new leaf , but he at least deserves a chance to alter public opinion in some degree.

5. uwsptke says: May 17, 2013 9:27 PM

Sounds like he’s genuinely sorry… that he was caught.

6. erckle31 says: May 17, 2013 9:33 PM

He’s sorry he got CAUGHT. That’s what he’s sorry for.

7. seahonky says: May 17, 2013 9:33 PM

YOU CAN ACT LIKE A MAN! Bruce, what’s the matter with you? Is this what you’ve become, an NFL finocchio who cries like a woman? ‘Oh, what do I do? What do I do?”

8. rickyspanish says: May 17, 2013 9:33 PM

I know there’s a portion of people that do not like the Seahawks, but this dude didn’t pull the canned statement out of the cliche box. He seems very genuine and remorseful. He’ll turn it around.

9. GenXJay says: May 17, 2013 9:35 PM

P.Carroll needs to tone down the Hip Hop music & nix the players’ Starbucks® after workout drinks.

10. GenXJay says: May 17, 2013 9:37 PM

I do like the photo of ShAaron feeling the pain via Peds Irvin.

11. seatownballers says: May 17, 2013 9:38 PM

Fan base is angry with you! What a dissapointing way to start the season. With Clemons likely out , Its your job to step up not cheat. I’m actually happy this is causting over a million dollars.
    This is one of six guys busted under pete Carroll.
    I demand Seattle takes control of its locker room!
    Time to hold people responsible,
    Signed lifetime hawker

12. buccaneerjeremy says: May 17, 2013 9:59 PM

The question is why didn’t he call up his teammate, Richard Sherman & ask him for advice. Why am I not surprised a Pete Carroll team is behaving & having issues like this?

13. bobulated says: May 17, 2013 10:08 PM

Seadderall Seahawks

14. seahonky says: May 17, 2013 10:17 PM

YOU CAN ACT LIKE A MAN! What’s the matter with you? Is this what you’ve become, someone who cries like a woman? “Oh, what do I do? What do I do?”. Well, you work harder and prepare for game 5!

15. 49erstim says: May 17, 2013 10:19 PM

Petey sure is running a clean program up there in the great northwest huh? lol

At least Irvin is contrite, acknowledged his mistake and is moving forward…unlike a certain loud-mouthed CB we all know and dislike (except for what he did to Ol’ Skip. That’s just golden!)

16. michaeljacksonisback says: May 17, 2013 10:20 PM

Rams > the cheathawks

17. thejuddstir says: May 17, 2013 10:23 PM

So typical of a pete carroll team/player…..cheat cheat cheat. seahawks are the PED capital of the NFL.

18. seadawgs72 says: May 17, 2013 10:25 PM

Keep your head up Mr. Irvin. Life is a marathon not a sprint. Everybody slips. Even the jackasses with holier than thou comments & attitudes. Your real fans will still be there long after your 4 games are up. So will your team.

19. axespray says: May 17, 2013 10:33 PM

GenXJay says:
    May 17, 2013 9:37 PM
    “I do like the photo of ShAaron feeling the pain via Peds Irvin.”
    ——————————–
    Funny, cause Seahawk and Packer fans like seeing Christian Ponder on the Viking’s team photo… noodle arm is a joke and Peterson will never appear in a superbowl with that anchor holding that ship from sailing.

20. nflofficeadmin says: May 17, 2013 10:36 PM

Bruce don’t take it too hard. There is an easy way to fix all this… Win. Just play winning football and that will fix all things in football.

21. thewarrenmoon says: May 17, 2013 10:37 PM

yet another sneaky Pete scumbag.

22. goldrush36 says: May 17, 2013 10:44 PM

5th Hawk suspended for PED’s sine 2011. 6th if you count the Sherman technicality. I’m not saying there’s a pattern, well yes I am… There’s a pattern.

23. djalakas25 says: May 17, 2013 10:53 PM

Sam bradford<glass jaw

24. seaeagle707 says: May 17, 2013 10:57 PM

It takes a real man to realize his mistakes, and an even bigger man to admit to them. None of us on this side knows exactly what went down with him, but only those who will forgive will understand his remorse.

Its time Bruce, to leave the pre-pro you in the rearview mirror. You’ve got the chance for a better life, for you and your loved ones. Only you can decide what happens next.

The Seahawks can survive with or without you. Your choice.

25. antneejay2 says: May 17, 2013 10:59 PM

He made a mistake? Oh, I see. He took PED’s by accident. Then there is nothing to apologize for, right?

26. jprcox says: May 17, 2013 11:02 PM

People need to relax a bit and give the guy a break. I think sometimes we don’t realize how young these guys really are – and the stupid things we did without all the notoriety and public scrutiny they have every day.

You who say he is not sorry – you really don’t know him or how sorry he is. I promise, many on this thread have done a lot more than take some Adderall.

27. pacificnw7722 says: May 17, 2013 11:18 PM

Irvin, time to grow dude and put some damn weight and muscle on. You better be pumped and ready to go insane in week #5.

28. fumblenuts says: May 17, 2013 11:22 PM

Paul Allen SHOULD launch an investigation as to why this keeps happening to the Seahawks.

29. pooflingingmonkey says: May 17, 2013 11:27 PM

Seadderal Seahawks? Nice. +1

30. contraisloosebuthole says: May 17, 2013 11:29 PM

Starting to see a trend in Seattle.

31. peehergriphon says: May 17, 2013 11:35 PM

Dope man dope man…can I get a hit?

32. tangysizzl says: May 18, 2013 12:23 AM

Now we know why Sherman said half of the NFL takes adderall, thats his conclusion based on what hes seeing in his own lockeroom.

33. ramcountry says: May 18, 2013 12:25 AM

Seadderal Seahawks.

Time for ol’ Pete to slip out the back door again without paying the check.

34. jdubb84 says: May 18, 2013 12:32 AM

I don’t see how it’s Pete’s or the orginations fault when he decided to take ped’s ?

35. jjbadd385 says: May 18, 2013 12:59 AM

Glass houses people…. stop throwin those stones!! Just about anytime you apologize in life, and not just Irvin, but you or I, its for something you did or got caught doing…. so to say he is only sorry because he “got caught” is just dumb….he had to get caught otherwise why apologize? Then of course he could have admitted it before he got caught but either way, it has to be brought to light before he can make amends, and as skeptical as I usually am, I can see some sincerity in his words, and I somewhat beleive him. I wish him the best either way, for without mistakes to learn from, we’d all be a bunch of idiots…..

36. bowmanj35 says: May 18, 2013 4:32 AM

all these haters running mouths on here, I’d like to point out couple things. first, if you don’t believe your favorite team has 50% plus ped users your in denial. way too many guys saying otherwise, plus have you actually looked at these guys? second thank you to Irvin for manning up and not saying it was something a trainer slipped in his drink or some other horse manure. finally my disclaimer that I’m a die hard packer fan and could care leas about the seahawks other than that week 3 crap…

37. joetoronto says: May 18, 2013 4:34 AM

jdubb84 says:
    May 18, 2013 12:32 AM
    ***************************************************
    Because it’s condoned by Pete carroll and the organization, hello???

SMH.

38. faithful209er says: May 18, 2013 5:20 AM

jjbadd385 says: May 18, 2013 12:59 AM

——————————————————

Wow. I guess it’s that most of us quit doing things for which we have to be sorry back when we were teenagers. These days, if I say “I’m sorry,” I’m expressing sympathy for something that has happened TO someone I care about.

It’s just like what the first commentor said.

I work with children everyday, and the first thing that comes out of their mouth when they are sorry they got caught, is “I’m sorry.” They never say that until they get caught.

39. petedutcher says: May 18, 2013 7:23 AM

Does anyone else see the problem with this statement? He is focused on his image. Psychologically this means he doesn’t feel he did wrong…he just regrets getting caught.

I can tell you right now, this man will be a repeat offender.

40. dexterismyhero says: May 18, 2013 8:03 AM

@fumblenuts says:May 17, 2013 11:22 PM

==================================
    Maybe it is a flaw in testing caused by Windows 8? I heard the MAC OS doesn’t catch it.

41. evrybdyhas1 says: May 18, 2013 8:29 AM

Wondering why or when the team facilities and all the “players” are served with a search warrant or not!

42. steeelfann says: May 18, 2013 8:52 AM

I just love today’s athlete. Most of all them worry about how they look, how they appear, their “image”.

You would think if they had real character, they would not care at all what people think, they would worry about how they are when nobody is looking. If they worried about always doing the right thing as in content of character, they would never have image problems.

Pathetic. Remember Jackie Robinson, Lou Gehrig, Reggie White, Pat Tillman. Man, I miss these kinds of real men.

43. sfniners4life says: May 18, 2013 9:10 AM

Merrimen 2.0 I’m expecting Seattle players going make abunch of money on rehab show with dr drew.

44. sfniners4life says: May 18, 2013 9:15 AM

Anyone defending Pete just go back and look at Sean Payton. When ur paid to be a coach u represent the team and players as a whole. By allowing these guys to come back and look the other shoulder to not only this all the other things that have gone in his programs. He completely to blame and if he just stood up for himself and said he not going to allow this and ppl that break his rules will have there own displine amoungest the organization. I’m sure ur see ppl cleaning up or getting out.

45. garyhd01 says: May 18, 2013 10:08 AM

my rams don’t play hawks til week 8 so we get no advantage but Houston sf and 2 others do they have some tough games early it appears he knew he was doping cause he said he worried for weeks up to the announcement instead of an after the fact apology he should have gone to the gm and told him the truth b4 the results came out that’s taking responsibility hard to tell about after the fact sincerity

46. djalakas25 says: May 18, 2013 10:09 AM

Great comment about Sean Payton….. Do you remember when he was busted for taking pain killers from the saints locker room. Bad example lol

47. seaeagle707 says: May 18, 2013 1:19 PM

People on this thread and others about this incident have joked about there being a pattern, or trend in Seattle. In a way they are correct, but they are terribly myopic vis-à-vis the teams they support. What I see is, not enough personnel management in the VMAC. They are simply giving these “men”, too much latitude to act like kids. It should be in every pro contract on every team, “you use, you lose”. It also says that the league itself has miserable standards and does not go out of its way to set higher ones.

To tell a player that because he does not have a prescription for the same substance that others do, that he has to be “punished”, borders on the hypocritical. Its tantamount to one kid being “better” than the others because he has a new bike. Does Adderall make the user demonstrably “better” at playing than others? If its too difficult to gauge that then is it really a PED, or is it only that for the sake of legalese?

48. seadawgs72 says: May 18, 2013 2:57 PM

Calling Aderall a ped is a joke. Especially taking it in the offseason. Its a fast acting drug that its equivalent to taking speed of some kind. Once it wears off its gone, unlike steroids or other muscle builders. The NFL should have Aderall in the same classification as weed, not listed as a ped. Its misleading & a reputation killer.