Change is nothing unusual for Brandon Carr

Brandon Carr, Mark Ingram AP

For Cowboys cornerback Brandon Carr, the shift in scheme under new defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin’s not that big of a deal.

Primarily, that’s because he changes coordinators like some people change socks.

Just the name of the game,” Carr said, via Carlos Mendez of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. “You have to adapt to what’s thrown at you.”

Kiffin will be Carr’s fifth defensive coordinator in six seasons, having learned under Gunther Cunningham, Clancy Pendergast and Romeo Crennel (for two years) in Kansas City, before signing a $50.1 million contract to join the Cowboys at the same time as Rob Ryan.

“I’ve been playing for different coaches, different schemes pretty much my whole career in the NFL,” Carr said. “I feel like it’s kind of adding to my versatility. It’s all about learning and trying to grasp whatever’s thrown at me.”

The 73-year-old Kiffin might not be a long-term answer, but his scheme could be a good fit for Carr, who will get a chance to play a more physical game than he has in the past.

Permalink 11 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, Home, Rumor Mill
11 Responses to “Change is nothing unusual for Brandon Carr”
  1. logicalvoicesays says: May 17, 2013 11:12 AM

Pierre Garcon calls his toast Brandon Carr in the mornings. #GodsTeam>AmericasTeam

2. redfield11 says: May 17, 2013 11:28 AM

I don’t like it when people act like a 73 year old can’t be a long term addition. Obviously it’s true, but what do you think happens when a 45 year old DC has an incredible defense for 2 or 3 years? They move on to be a head coach somewhere. Not many good coordinators stay as coordinators.

So they’re getting the INVENTOR of the Tampa-2, a legendary defensive coach, to install and begin the process of changing the defense and when he does retire in a couple years then the team/position coaches will all have experience with it and you can transition to a new 4-3 coach with ease.

3. austinoxford says: May 17, 2013 11:30 AM

Pierre Garcon calls his knees “Austin Collie” b/c they never survive an entire NFL season.

4. supertheothers says: May 17, 2013 11:49 AM

There is no change in Dallas they sucked last year the year before and the year before that ect…

5. slickster35 says: May 17, 2013 11:53 AM

While the cover-who defense is outdated and ineffective in todays game, Carr is probably best suited for it. And what I mean by that is that Carr can’t cover anyone in man, and will constantly give up the 10-15 yard out with regularity.

Get ready to watch teams put massive amounts of points up against you this year. You’re a decade late with this defensive innovation.

6. shayeezy says: May 17, 2013 11:54 AM

the tampa 2 is not more physical than the man-coverage schemes carr has played in for most of his career.

7. starchybunker says: May 17, 2013 12:13 PM

I hope Clancy Pendergast wears a top-hat, monocle and cape, along with a handle-bar mustache…I mean, I totally would if that was my name…

8. nflofficeadmin says: May 17, 2013 12:27 PM

He’ll be a good coach someday… if he wants to be

9. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: May 17, 2013 5:31 PM

What may be a good fit for Carr is that the Tampa 2 will encourage a more aggressive ball hawk approach. I think Carr will be fine and may even excel in this defense.

10. bewaredware says: May 18, 2013 12:59 PM

People who bang on Carr haven’t seen many Dallas games in the last decade. He’s the best corner they’ve had since Prime

11. hatetriot4life says: May 19, 2013 2:21 AM

never too late for change ..besides what’s the worst that can happen we go8-8 again ..lets go boys