Skip to content

Freeney leaves SD without a deal, for now

Dwight Freeney AP

Dwight Freeney enjoyed a pleasant two days in San Diego, but left without a deal.

Which probably means the Chargers weren’t prepared to pay him “Osi money.”

According to Michael Gehlken of U-T San Diego, Freeney wrapped up a two-day stay with the Chargers Thursday, noting “those familiar with it describe it as having gone well.”

There’s plenty of familiarity there, between General Manager Tom Telesco (formerly of the Colts) and defensive coordinator John Pagano (brother of Colts coach Chuck Pagano).

And there’s clearly a need, as outside linebacker Melvin Ingram went down this week with a torn left ACL.

From Freeney’s perspective, that was the only reason to fly to San Diego immediately, to see if they were ready to panic in the wake of the injury to a young player and give the 33-year-old pass-rusher the kind of deal he wants.

And if they’re not, at least not now, there’s no reason to be in a hurry and take less. When another team has an injury closer to the season, they’ll feel the urgency as the Chargers did this week, and might dig into the couch cushions for a little bit extra.

Permalink 8 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Indianapolis Colts, Rumor Mill, San Diego Chargers
8 Responses to “Freeney leaves SD without a deal, for now”
  1. brassknuckles47 says: May 17, 2013 7:53 AM

    Freeney’s name is too big for the Chargers to sign. Telesco thinks he is cool by not signing anyone of note.

  2. nyfan63 says: May 17, 2013 8:19 AM

    Didn’t Freeny struggle last season trying to convert to a
    3-4 linebacker? I thought he was considered by most to be nest suited as a 4-3 DE. Or am I thinking of someone else? (And this isn’t an attempt to be snarky, I’m just not sure)

  3. johnnyjagfan says: May 17, 2013 8:22 AM

    How many trips can Freeney take? He’s going to end up with a 1-year minimum deal if his agent doesn’t get real.

  4. ccjcsr says: May 17, 2013 8:33 AM

    He’ll find a home once teams figure out there draft picks weren’t the best choices.

  5. sanityinsd says: May 17, 2013 9:39 AM

    The Chargers only have about $5M left in cap space with D. J. Fluker yet to be signed. They will get a flow of $4.5M in June from the release of Big Lazy, aka Gaither. I would guess that they’d start to get serious about addressing the edge rush at that point.

  6. National Fanatic says: May 17, 2013 12:36 PM

    San Diego will give Larry English every opportunity to start at ROLB. GM Telesco wants to give his young talent as many reps as possible and signing Freeney will only take away reps from English. Plus he’s in his last year of his contract.

    The Chargers will sign one more veteran OLB, but not a known brand like Dwight Freeney. Look for another younger vet, like another Thomas Keiser type of player, for depth. SD will NOT sign a premier pass rusher as Larry English will be given the opportunity to succeed.

    Expect a trade or younger talent to be brought in to fill Melvin Ingram’s loss.

  7. richmondbolt says: May 17, 2013 2:06 PM

    Think you’re exactly right, Fanatic.

  8. nflhof says: May 17, 2013 2:15 PM

    June 1 money clears because of the big lazy getting cut. That’s when a LT or New pass rusher will be brought aboard. So there it is.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to leave a comment. Not a member? Register now!