Williams, former fiancée at impasse over ring

Ring Getty Images

When it comes to the lawsuit recently filed by Bills defensive lineman Mario Williams for the recovery of a $785,000 engagement ring from his former fiancée, the wheels of justice are spinning quickly.

According to David Barron of the Houston Chronicle, lawyers for Williams and Erin Marzouki met for three hours on Friday in an effort to resolve the case informally, but were unsuccessful.

Attorney Tony Buzbee, who represents Marzouki, said that Williams, not Marzouki, broke off the engagement.

“Texas law says that if the man breaks off the engagement, the woman keeps the ring,” Buzbee said.  “Mr. Williams experienced dramatic mood swings throughout the engagement.  It was during one of his low points that he broke off the engagement for the last time this past December.  It was only after Ms. Marzouki refused to take him back that he became angry and filed this frivolous case.

“He should have not filed a case out of anger.  Ms. Marzouki will not be bullied.  In the court system, no matter how rich you are, everyone is treated equally.”

Buzbee also released text messages from Williams to Marzouki, apparently to corroborate the contention of mood swings.

“I took 3 hydrocodones this morning and no one knows,” Williams allegedly said.  “I’m going to take 2 more on the plane and fade away.”  Williams also allegedly said:  “No money in the world should leave me with suicidal thoughts.”

Regardless of the letter of the law, it’s odd that Marzouki would want to keep the ring.  Sure, Williams can afford it.  Sure, she can tell herself that she “deserves” it as compensation for putting up with him.

But the ring was purchased to secure a marriage that never happened.  Regardless of who broke it off, why would Marzouki want to keep it?

Permalink 65 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Buffalo Bills, Home, Houston Texans, Rumor Mill
65 Responses to “Williams, former fiancée at impasse over ring”
  1. unbiasfan says: May 17, 2013 10:41 PM

That is only ring Mario Williams will ever get

2. mp4philly says: May 17, 2013 10:44 PM

I’d assume she’d like to keep it because its worth lots of money.

3. thegreatgabbert says: May 17, 2013 10:44 PM

Damn, PFT, I’m as puzzled as you are. Why would anyone want to keep a small easily disposable item worth 800 grand? One of those things in life that can’t be explained, I guess.

4. ketch20too says: May 17, 2013 10:46 PM

In the court system, no matter how rich you are, everyone is treated equally.”

BWAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAAAAAA!!!!!

5. marvsleezy says: May 17, 2013 10:47 PM

How do they determine what states laws are used? He lives in New York now right, or at least has a residence there…

6. sportswannabe says: May 17, 2013 10:48 PM

I can help Florio with this one: she wants to keep it because it’s worth several hundred thousand dollars and she wants to sell it.

7. bobothegreatest says: May 17, 2013 10:49 PM

Why would she want to keep it? I can give you 3/4 of a million reasons..

Bobo

8. green41563 says: May 17, 2013 10:49 PM

Regardless of who broke it off, why would Marzouki want to keep it?
    ____________________________________

Maybe because it’s worth $785,000.

9. greenngld says: May 17, 2013 10:50 PM

I thought I clicked on PFT, but somehow I got on the Dr. Phil page.

10. cullimon says: May 17, 2013 10:55 PM

To sell it maybe? Is it that hard to figure out?

11. jdm025 says: May 17, 2013 10:55 PM

Why would a woman… who is pissed at her ex… want to keep a $750K ring? Hmmmm…

12. Canyonero says: May 17, 2013 10:56 PM

“In the court system, no matter how rich you are, everyone is treated equally.”

HAHAHAHAHA!!

Sorry… I just… couldn’t help laughing when I read that ludicrous lie.

13. ttommytom says: May 17, 2013 10:59 PM

I certainly hope you’re being sarcastic.

I would get engaged to a sea lion for a chance to pawn that ring…

14. bshook87 says: May 17, 2013 11:03 PM

Because it’s worth nearly a mil.

15. antneejay2 says: May 17, 2013 11:04 PM

“why would Marzouki want to keep it?”

Off hand, I could think of 785,000 reasons.

16. fairbanksflame says: May 17, 2013 11:04 PM

Mario might be the first rich person in history to not get his way in the Texas legal system… Everybody knows its crooket!!!

17. berniemadoffsides says: May 17, 2013 11:05 PM

She wanted to marry him for the money. Might as well not marry the guy but still get paid.

18. seaeagle707 says: May 17, 2013 11:09 PM

The answer to your last question Mike, would undoubtedly come with how quickly she sells it if she is allowed to keep it. She could undoubtedly get a quick sale for half the value, which wouldn’t be a bad payday for her. The mere fact that she has retained a liar-for-hire in her quest to keep it, tells us that love had little to do with her motives in acquiring it.

19. Stiller43 says: May 17, 2013 11:11 PM

“Regardless of who broke it off, why would Marzouki want to keep it?”

Umm…because its worth like 800 THOUSAND dollars?

That could be one reason…

20. nmrdr795 says: May 17, 2013 11:12 PM

Why would she wanna keep it?…she is a women that’s y. Thats like walking around with a nice house on your finger.

Mario seems like a good guy I hope he gets it back and moves on in life. Its people like this woman trying to steal that ruins this earth. I never seen her play one down or deserve that money..go get a job lady..not to mention she looks like everyday plain jain. He could do way better in the looks department

21. chillmodedlb says: May 17, 2013 11:13 PM

“In the court system, it doesn’t matter how rich you are, everyone is treated equally.” Ha! Did he manage to say that with a straight face?

22. mazblast says: May 17, 2013 11:13 PM

Why would she want to keep it?

To sell it and get something for her time and aggravation.

Besides that, IF he broke off the engagement (all the article mentions is her lawyer’s side of it, which is not necessarily either the truth or not the truth), it’s HERS.

23. sneschalmers says: May 17, 2013 11:17 PM

Probably to sell it? That thing is worth what most average people make in 20 years.

24. biggame28 says: May 17, 2013 11:18 PM

why would she want to keep it? its worth 785 grand. That’s why.

25. dg0122 says: May 17, 2013 11:19 PM

Do another “Broke” in 2025 and see if you still say Williams “can afford it”

26. inphinitejest says: May 17, 2013 11:25 PM

“In the court system, no matter how rich you are, everyone is treated equally.”

Most ridiculous statement ever.

27. smartanis says: May 17, 2013 11:26 PM

Because she can take it to Pawn Stars and get $50,000 for it and her face on TV, duh.

28. skinsfanwill says: May 17, 2013 11:27 PM

With all that Gold Digging you would think he was a 49er?

29. icdogg says: May 17, 2013 11:30 PM

Oxycodone would have been more impressive.

30. 1oldpro says: May 17, 2013 11:32 PM

Gee, maybe she wants the ring because she left her job and her home to move to Buffalo with a 6-7 290lb freako who broke off their engagement five times. The last time being on vacation, out of town with her family and friends. Maybe she has lost her home, fiance’, job and the damn ring is all she has but she can use it to get back home and get a new life started.
    On the other hand, he still has $80 mil left on his deal. I’d keep the damn ring, too. Just to show the jerk he can’t bully his way around.

31. talkingproud says: May 17, 2013 11:38 PM

Nice to know that the Bills’ prized free agent from last year’s offseason is a pill popper and is moody with the occasional suicidal thought.

32. stlunatik says: May 17, 2013 11:45 PM

Why does she want to keep it? Because she’s a woman. Dirty gold diggin tramps

33. whodey420 says: May 17, 2013 11:58 PM

This article is filled with some of the stupidest $hit I’ve ever read!!

I don’t care how “rich” you are. Why buy an engagement ring for almost 800K? You deserve to lose it!!

Texas Law says”………”

It’s odd that she would want to keep the ring?

Why would she want to keep the ring?
    Seriously!!??

This is from an ABC News article:
    The lawsuit details just how much Williams spent on Marzouki during their relationship. Items included an American Express credit card she could use to pay her living expenses — she rang up $108,000 in charges in one year — on top of the $230,000 in other gifts he showered on her that same year, according to the court record.
    The lawsuit does smack of bitterness. Williams claims Marzouki used him for his fame — and fortune, according to court documents. Do the math: In one year he claimed he spent $1,123,000 on a fiancée who broke up with him just months after they’d become engaged.

34. ordinaryday6 says: May 18, 2013 12:16 AM

probably to sell it

35. mobuccsfan says: May 18, 2013 12:36 AM

@talkingproud

I’m surprised no one else mentions this or pointed it out. That is what stood out to me in this article. I’d be concerned–given what we have seen in the past with players and their off-field struggles, addictions, mental illnesses etc etc. (Thinking Owens, Seau, etc).

Is it tied to concussions and the violence of the game; I wouldn’t rule it out but I’m no doctor/scientist and won’t comment to that affect. I think often times something that people do overlook, is the fact that these guys make millions–sure but it goes back to that old added saying–”Money can’t buy happiness.”

With people, like the Smith family from today’s earlier story being leaches and using you to mo money mo problems, does it ever occur to people that sometimes richer people end up hating the fact that they are so wealthy. One could logically argue that even with all of the riches, it can get lonely and depressing real quick. Life happens. And we all have our own battles, obstacles and demons to face-regardless of what tax bracket you are in. Kudos for mentioning those highlights in this article, even if your take is really blunt.

As far as the ring, yes, of course she wants to sell it, either to have lots of money, or get back home and have lots of money still–why wouldn’t she. Who wouldn’t try to in this situation. Like one of you stated, that is more money than most will make in 20 years. Really not that hard to figure out. And very well could construe that she is indeed a gold digger in the end, only along for the ride, which goes back to my point–having all that money and fame but who really loves these people and values them. Maybe they want that too and instead, what they get is empty and hollow. And empty and hollow often leads to darkness for us all. I’d rather have real love, a real family who is supportive of me and loves me as is and the way I am, and quality friends who epitomize what friendship is all about.
    –my $.02

36. bizieman says: May 18, 2013 1:12 AM

Give him his damn ring back! Broke folks always want to be scandelous.

37. steelers6rngs says: May 18, 2013 1:18 AM

Ms Marzouki and Ms Simpson are about to have alot in common!! Give it up before its too late!!

38. nobreak1269 says: May 18, 2013 1:25 AM

Why would Mario break up BEFORE he got the ring back?Should have told her he was gonna get a diamond added to it-she would have given it to him.Duh!

39. bearsfan4life says: May 18, 2013 1:32 AM

I thought this was going to be a Roy Williams (WR) story.

40. ilovefoolsball says: May 18, 2013 2:13 AM

Remember that time when everyone thought that the Texans were smart for taking Mario Williams over Reggie Bush…

then Reggie Bush won a Superbowl and Mario Williams went to Buffalo…

Yeah those were the good ole days…

41. 21stnprime says: May 18, 2013 2:22 AM

he should let her keep it with an agreement saying that she could never sell it.

42. blackbug99 says: May 18, 2013 3:24 AM

If Williams ever gets married, the one word he needs to remember is prenuptial.

43. louhudson23 says: May 18, 2013 3:45 AM

The ring is hers,he gave it to her. And whether she is a gold digger or not,when you associate yourself with someone so shallow as to want,appreciate or accept the kind of money he was lavishing on her,then both deserve each other and whatever the other imposes upon you. It is all a disgustingly vacuous expression of the mindless worship and pursuit of manufactured objects we as a society have become while surrendering and destroying our planet,economic freedom and prosperity to our corporate overlords.

44. sdemp says: May 18, 2013 4:28 AM

If you sleep with trash, she will steal your stash. . . charge it to the game.

45. souldogdave says: May 18, 2013 4:45 AM

Classic “He said, She said” type disagreement. Those texts might cost him, but so far that’s not evidence that he dumped her. Civil cases are different, and she wants a payout. Hmmm. If whodey420′s info from CBS is correct, she received over $1 million from this kid. NO HONEY IS WORTH THAT MUCH MONEY. One very expensive lesson.

46. i, flounder says: May 18, 2013 5:06 AM

the suicide lines are frightening. if the guy is indeed suicidal is it the best idea to print that, and embarrass him publicly? that might not have been the best idea ethically.

47. lawyermalloy says: May 18, 2013 6:00 AM

“Why would Marzouki want to keep it?”

Duh……..to sell it!

48. denverdude7 says: May 18, 2013 7:06 AM

“In the court system, no matter how rich you are, everyone is treated equally.”- Tony Buzbee
    ———————————————————-
    Just a bit delusional are we?

ROFLMAO !!!!!!!

49. petedutcher says: May 18, 2013 7:17 AM

seaeagle707 says: May 17, 2013 11:09 PM

Perhaps she didn’t realize he was a nutcase until after they were engaged? The man admits to doing drugs, mentions suicide and had mood swings that led him to breaking off the engagement multiple times nad wanting to get back together.

He is unstable. The woman may have wanted things to work out, but there is only so much she could take before deciding she did not want to set herself up for a lifetime of his unstable behavior.

He is manic depressive.

50. edrouse says: May 18, 2013 7:37 AM

if he stupid enough to spend that much on a ring he should lose it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

51. thethunderofgunns says: May 18, 2013 7:47 AM

I bet she’ll give that damm thing back violently when she finds out Williams got robbed and it’s CZ!

52. jimmywalker78 says: May 18, 2013 8:36 AM

So remember the debate about the better Draft pick, Mario Williams or Reggie Bush? Bush has a Super Bowl ring, Williams can’t even get a ring he paid for! Bush wins

53. clashpoint says: May 18, 2013 8:39 AM

If she ditched him for his pills habit then she’s got to give it back. So he can get more pills.

54. DonRSD says: May 18, 2013 8:48 AM

No point to be an athlete and then find the “love of your life”.
    She will do anything for you sexually, but she only does it for the money.

Damn Neanderthals – when will they learn.

Be happy & poor or rich & miserable.

55. eastofmissball says: May 18, 2013 9:09 AM

This is one reason why, you separate the Players from the rest of the Houston staff. Players and pretty girls who see each other all day is a distraction. Mario is not the only one who dipped the pen in company ink at Texans facility… Not to blame the ladies, but to easy when you have young good looking girls hanging out after hrs. w/ players. Mario got played, and now you pay.

56. pinion8ted says: May 18, 2013 9:28 AM

Regardless of the letter of the law, it’s odd that Marzouki would want to keep the ring. Sure, Williams can afford it. Sure, she can tell herself that she “deserves” it as compensation for putting up with him.

But the ring was purchased to secure a marriage that never happened. Regardless of who broke it off, why would Marzouki want to keep it?
    —————————————————————
    I can think of 785,000 reasons for that.

Gold digger, plain and simple.

But Williams is a moron, so it’s a stalemate ;)

57. commonsensedude says: May 18, 2013 9:29 AM

It was wrong to release his text messages in an attempt to keep the ring. She must be a terrible, greedy person.

58. rusle12013 says: May 18, 2013 9:46 AM

If you have money DON’T get married. Some make there living that way.

59. kuranda84 says: May 18, 2013 10:36 AM

Gold diggers.

Watch out for them boys!

60. hatesycophants says: May 18, 2013 10:41 AM

There are several ridiculous comments here which expose the personal greed and ignorance of the poster. The flippant answers to Florio’s last question say a lot about what kind of people you are.

Petedutcher, on the other hand, stands above the crowd. Petedutcher has actually, specifically diagnosed someone he has never met based upon uncorroborated “evidence” presented by a clearly biased party. You win.

61. harrisonhits2 says: May 18, 2013 11:09 AM

Doesn’t Williams realize that resale value of a consumers selling diamonds is very low ?

He’ll probably spend more money paying his attorneys to get it back than he can sell it for.

Lol typical example of NFL player stupidity.

62. rd3777 says: May 18, 2013 11:46 AM

It’s called the expensive screwing….divide 785,000 by the times Williams made love to this women. Hopefully it’s atleast 100…..otherwise Williams got you know what….it rhymes with plucked.

63. patfanken says: May 18, 2013 11:48 AM

“Ms. Marzouki will not be bullied. In the court system, no matter how rich you are, everyone is treated equally.”

Only and “Attorney” would have gall to say this with a straight face, when even the most naive citizen knows how far it is from the truth.
    :rolleyes:

64. CKL says: May 18, 2013 2:20 PM

I’m a woman who gave up a decent job to move thousands of miles away from home with my husband. I couldn’t find a job there and my company didn’t have one to transfer me to. We were already married and my husband was the type of cheap where he made me buy his car from him after we were married. Also I had not much in my savings (from which I had to pay all “my” expenses like calls home, shampoo, etc.). Needless to say, we aren’t married anymore and I chose my second spouse far more wisely.

I give you that background so I can say BS to this chick claiming sympathy for giving up her job for him, etc. When I decided to leave my ex, I started working on getting a better job, bided my time and once I had MY OWN MONEY saved, I split.

Unless Mario was physically or mentally abusing her, she’s a flat out gold digger who has no reason not to take responsibility for simply not being with the right person for her. No one made me marry my ex so regardless of how crappy of a human being he was (again outside abuse, etc) part of the fault/responsibility is MINE for CHOOSING to be with him. The way things are today no one has to take responsibility for their decisions anymore because there is always someone to sue or blame outside themselves. That is NOT a good thing.

Law or not, I’d return the ring. The only way I feel I can respect myself is to take charge of my own bad situation and pull myself out. And the lawyer is an utter scum bag for releasing these texts. If this chick had a OUNCE of decency, she’d fire him for that. It’s not justice if you play dirty with someone’s personal demons for no reason except $785k. She was supported by him to the tune of six figures for crying out loud. She’s textbook greedy (greed=wanting things you don’t earn yourself).

65. billsboy88 says: May 18, 2013 9:00 PM

Hope all that money from the ring helps you to look yourself in the mirror you shallow, gold digging excuse of a woman. Maybe if you weren’t such a cold hearted evil wench you could have actually helped Mario through whatever he was dealing with. Instead, you made sure it was all about you.

I feel roughly the same way about you as I do about Courtney Love.