Vince Young gets his degree from Texas

Young AP

Vince Young has attracted plenty of attention over the years for the wrong reasons.  It’s only fair, then, to shed light on something positive he’s accomplished.

On Friday, Young graduated from the University of Texas.

“This will rank No. 1 because it is what I came to school for,” Young told Bruce Feldman of CBSSports.com on Thursday night.  “I came here to get an education, and to win a national championship.  And now, I get to put that smile on my mom’s face.”

Young left Texas after a performance for the ages against USC in the Rose Bowl, becoming the third overall pick in the 2006 draft.  A rocky relationship with coach Jeff Fisher (much of which was Young’s fault) culminated in Young being cut in 2010.  He signed with the Eagles in 2011, made his unfortunate “Dream Team” remark at his introductory press conference, signed with the Bills in 2012, and was cut before the season began.

Now, Young will have a college degree, but he’s not done with football (even if football is done with him).

“I’m about to be the first in my family to graduate,” Young said.  “Just finishing what I started.  That’s why I’m trying to get back in the NFL.  To finish what I started.  That is the type of guy I am.  I do work hard — even when the times are good or bad.  That’s just how I was raised.”

Time’s running out for getting back to the NFL.  Today, Young turns 30.  If the comeback doesn’t happen now, it probably never will.

Permalink 34 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Buffalo Bills, Home, Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Tennessee Titans
34 Responses to “Vince Young gets his degree from Texas”
  1. learysdisciples says: May 18, 2013 9:50 AM

Ten years and mountain of debt. Sounds about right for a diploma.

2. green41563 says: May 18, 2013 9:59 AM

Good for him. A step in the right direction. Hard to believe he’s already 30, though.

3. gcbean says: May 18, 2013 10:04 AM

It sounds like he’s finally growing up. Good for you, Vince.

4. tx526 says: May 18, 2013 10:04 AM

Vince received a degree in education. Allegedly took 19 hours this spring. (Yeah… right). I’m sure he didn’t have any help with that. Should have gotten a degree in accounting so he can manage the money that he has left.

5. andrewproughcfe says: May 18, 2013 10:06 AM

I used to be a big advocate of extending careers as long as possible, but since my childhood hero Mike Webster and hundreds of others have developed (and died from) the CTE brain-injury problem, I think guys should take earlier opportunities to try to get out with their heads intact.

Not to mention all the injuries and degeneration of knees, ankles, shoulders, backs, etc… Which, by the way, the No Fun League does NOT want to pay for.

Vince has a great steakhouse restaurant in Austin named after him, and a very supportive community in Austin and Houston. He can make far more money in business in Texas than he would as a football player. Maybe its time to hang up the cleats, avoid the debilitating injuries and start living a healthier life.

6. nfloracle says: May 18, 2013 10:15 AM

I hope he has better luck finding a job than my college degreed son has had. No, on second thought. I hope my son gets a job first. Vince had his chance and blew it.

7. cdan374 says: May 18, 2013 10:20 AM

Was this an Honorary degree? I only ask because I always thought UT had fairly high academic standards…

8. mackcarrington says: May 18, 2013 10:26 AM

How much is a degree in creative basket weaving from Texas worth?

9. robertparmer says: May 18, 2013 10:38 AM

I bet he borrowed the money to finish. Just adding to the mountain of debt.

10. helloanybodyhome says: May 18, 2013 10:58 AM

I’m guessing the degree is not in finance.

11. brandonj21 says: May 18, 2013 11:18 AM

Good ! Now go get a job. And I aint talkin QB job. Im talkin a 9-5 .

12. crownofthehelmet says: May 18, 2013 11:27 AM

Good thing passing the wonderlic isn’t a requirement to graduate.

13. bookofelisha10 says: May 18, 2013 11:30 AM

so matter how stupid a person acts you can kick him for this one..congrats

14. wferg1121 says: May 18, 2013 11:30 AM

Jets should be calling this guy!

15. filthymcnasty1 says: May 18, 2013 11:35 AM

Vince is not the first great college player to crash and burn under the lofty weight of NFL expectations, and he won’t be the last.

Congratulations to Vince for finishing up on plan B.

16. upperdecker19 says: May 18, 2013 11:51 AM

Maybe the Eagles will retire his and Donovan McNabb’s numbers at the same ceremony….

17. ejm845 says: May 18, 2013 11:51 AM

maybe andy reid will give him a 3rd chance

18. battlered80 says: May 18, 2013 11:59 AM

As a Texans fan I had to endure VY for many years. Him and his minion’s continuous pompous rants turned me against VY big time even though I wanted to like him from his college years. The truth eventually settled the issue true Texans (not the local blind Longhorns who wanted something that wasn’t) took a lot of crap for. Glad to hear something positive for a change and hope makes something out of it though. We’ll see if he makes better decisions with this opportunity…

19. damcmp says: May 18, 2013 12:23 PM

Who helped him spell his name??

20. navyeoddavee9 says: May 18, 2013 12:29 PM

I’m betting its not a degree in finance

21. 11inthebox says: May 18, 2013 12:44 PM

Sometimes people who have enormous talent also have severe emotional and /or mental problems. Janis Joplin, Michael Jackson, Elvis.

I’m always fascinated by simpletons who say things like: “just figure it out,” or “be normal.”
    It’s like telling a person with a severe stutter to just “speak normally.”

Instead of being jealous of those with talent (just admit that you are) maybe you should be thankful you don’t have severe problems. Just a thought.

22. cliverush says: May 18, 2013 12:54 PM

Watching him play in college was a pleasure as Mack Brown took full advantage of his superior football skills. Good for him and the University of Texas. Get on with your life without the NFL as many before you have.

23. backindasaddle says: May 18, 2013 12:57 PM

You should be really proud University of Texas!!! You just gave a degree to a certified moron. Talk about lowering the bar….. Vince Young is not intellectually worthy of being given a degree from nursery school.

24. seabreezes51 says: May 18, 2013 1:53 PM

Good job!

25. fringetastic says: May 18, 2013 2:49 PM

Good for him.

But Mike…? We don’t care about the ‘dream team’ comment. That was ages ago, let it go man.

26. orivar says: May 18, 2013 3:02 PM

Young is already 30? Dear god it’s time for me to start doing the things I keep putting off, 21 isn’t going to last forever for me..time flying so fast.

27. kingcarlbanks says: May 18, 2013 3:03 PM

Good job Vince, now take your degree and find employment. Its not looking good for you in the NFL. I wish you the best of luck. BTW, how many of the posters with negative, hateful comments have played a down of college or pro ball and have a degree from a university? Hmm…

28. classyjacklambert says: May 18, 2013 3:15 PM

This is one of those truly inspirational stories that shows no matter how intelligent you are, you can get a degree in Texas.

29. EJ says: May 18, 2013 3:17 PM

Its unfortunate that Young has all but pretty much ruined his chances at a comeback in the NFL. Losing the job to Tyler Thigpen and Ryan Fitzpatrick all but sealed his fate. Where he goes from here in the “real world” will depend on how hard he tries. From seeing him upon entering the NFL to now, Young has showed a real big negative that teams tend to shy from… thinking that he deserves whatever job he’s up for regardless of his work ethic. In other words, he’s lazy, real damn lazy. He is a shortcut taker, a rule breaker, giving very little while expecting the world and until he changes his ways, he will always get the same result. Being the top dog in College Football for a couple of years doesn’t make you deserving the same in the NFL.

30. musicman495 says: May 18, 2013 4:07 PM

We all say that we want players to finish their education so they have something to support themselves after their playing days are over. I have made lots of wisecracks about Vince Young and “dream team” in the past, but he gets a high five and no wise cracks for this one. Congratulations Vince Young. Good luck if your career is truly over. If you did nothing else in your career but upend the “greatest team of all time” myth associated with that baloney USC team, you will have done all of sports a great service.

31. thejuddstir says: May 18, 2013 4:38 PM

Professor Wunderlich would be proud……if Vince had actually “earned” his degree.

32. blancodiablo says: May 18, 2013 5:10 PM

I don’t care about his degree. The NFL would be lucky to have 10% of their players able to obtain a degree, let alone get accepted into college, if you took football out of it. Jags should sign him but that would risk winning games and messing up the draft next year. C’mon, Gabbert??

33. mazblast says: May 18, 2013 11:22 PM

A football player at U of T who produces and doesn’t tick off the boosters is like a basketball player at Kansas, Kentucky, Dook, or UNC or a football player at Alabama, LSU, Notre Dame, etc. who does the same–he’ll always be a “success” as a no-show employee, sales, insurance, car dealer, whatever.

Go to the right school, generate results on the scoreboard, make friends, the good ol’ boys will take care of you.

34. polapea says: May 20, 2013 10:39 AM

and in related news, a UT diploma is now essentially worthless.