2014 draft would start May 15

calendar-getty Getty Images

The dates are trickling in, illustrating specific changes to the offseason schedule that would happen if the NFL and NFLPA strike a deal to tweak the things that happen from February through May.

According to Adam Schefter of ESPN, next year’s draft would start on May 15, three weeks after this year’s draft.  The timetable for the Scouting Combine and the league year would not change in 2014.

In 2015, the draft would happen a little bit earlier in May, the league year would begin in early March, and the Scouting Combine would slide to the middle of March.

We can’t overstate the impact of moving the Combine after the start of the league year.  (But we’ll try.)  With 10-14 days of free agency in the books before the teams flock to Indy, there will be a much better sense of what teams need, and don’t need, in the draft before checking out the prospects up close at the Combine.

Permalink 38 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill
38 Responses to “2014 draft would start May 15”
  1. green41563 says: May 20, 2013 6:17 PM

Sucks.

2. conseannery says: May 20, 2013 6:18 PM

I know what I’ll be doing approximately 51 weeks from now.

3. redviking84 says: May 20, 2013 6:21 PM

Moving things ahead hmmm?

This couldn’t possibly be the beginnings of making room for 2 more regular season games?

Nooooo. Only money hungry owners would want something like that.

Oh wait…

4. 6ball says: May 20, 2013 6:26 PM

3 more weeks of mock drafts that are always wrong.

5. baileytheskydiver says: May 20, 2013 6:30 PM

if it aint broke dont fix it

6. dbfan4ever says: May 20, 2013 6:40 PM

It will be funny to see how many people decide to skip NBA playoffs in order to watch the draft!!!

7. greymares says: May 20, 2013 6:45 PM

nobody drafts for need. everybody drafts for VALUE. right!

8. domeunit says: May 20, 2013 6:57 PM

“Let’s take the most popular sport in the country, and make a bunch of adjustments to it for no apparent reason whatsoever. It’s not broken, but let’s fix it anyway”

- NFL owners & Goodell

9. elwaysmilehighdenver says: May 20, 2013 7:01 PM

So the KC Chefs are on the clock for 2014
    #1 pick?

10. thunderskins007 says: May 20, 2013 7:26 PM

WTH!? NFL already screwed me and my peeps out of our yearly weekend drink-a-thon when you took the first and second round to primetime. now you want to push it back 3 weeks? I agree with the guy who said if it ain’t broke then don’t fix it and that can be applied to a lot in the NFL.

11. modernsouthernandfabulous says: May 20, 2013 7:46 PM

Bad idea

12. ausernamethatisavailable says: May 20, 2013 8:04 PM

Booooooooooooooo!

13. bmoreravens1012013 says: May 20, 2013 8:08 PM

Bad idea indeed!!

14. dangernearing says: May 20, 2013 8:14 PM

Loud noises!

15. johnnyoclock says: May 20, 2013 8:15 PM

Bad move.

They’re doing this to keep the NFL a talking point all year ’round. That’s a bad idea. you need some down time. People very soon over the next few years are going to overdose on the NFL and start getting sick of it. You can’t have it shoved down your throat 24/7 much longer, especially with offseason stuff that is mostly meaningless being treated as breaking news that is of dire importance.

Extending the wait for the draft will only cause people to become even more bored with the lead-up, for the lead-up will be too much for too long and exhaustive and ultimately become uninteresting and mostly boring. Another month of mock draft and rankings? If anything, they should move it ahead.

If they want to keep it a year ’round talking point, the better course of action to fill the dead time would be to have a short spring season of minor league or rookie league season.

16. bmoreravens1012013 says: May 20, 2013 8:16 PM

It’s bad because you are punishing good, smart drafting teams for being , well good, smart drafting teams. Whether that is the intention or not its still punishment. It’s not the well drafting teams fault if other teams can’t keep up with the big boys. Florio, I doubt u are liberal so you should be against this for the very reason articulated above. Nothing against liberals or conservatives btw. (And now I apologize for injecting any semblance of politics on pft, although we all know some of the blurbs and comments inject it anyway)…..

17. moneymike23 says: May 20, 2013 8:16 PM

Love the NFL draft, its like a holiday to me…as strange as that sounds. Cannot stand waiting until late April to finally have it because of these stupid mock drafts, the media coverage, which increases the anticipation, and makes waiting longer much worse. Now you’re going to delay it by three weeks?!?!?

This is just stupid!

18. nolahxc says: May 20, 2013 8:16 PM

19. ravenution says: May 20, 2013 8:18 PM

NFL draft used to be on birthday weekend. Thanks NFL for fixing another thing that wasn’t broken.

20. maestro1899 says: May 20, 2013 8:21 PM

I don’t think this is a good thing.

Most teams would rather build through the draft than FA, so wouldn’t they want to see the college guys up close and personal before FA starts so they know what needs they can fill through the draft and use FA for the rest?

21. clownsfan says: May 20, 2013 8:29 PM

Lame

22. radiofriendly420 says: May 20, 2013 8:37 PM

This is great news! I just had another nephew born during the last week of April. I was worried I was going to have to miss the draft to be with my family every year!

23. indianajet says: May 20, 2013 8:37 PM

Interesting if this opens up the possibility of a conflict between the Combine and when Indy hosts NCAA regional finals, usually every few years and also in the middle of March.

Wonder if this means there is a chance the combine will be moved at one point or another.

24. tropicpurple says: May 20, 2013 8:48 PM

I know, lets do one round a week in prime time for 7 straight weeks (8th for UDFA’s). That way, (dumb) teams have a whole week to figure it out and maybe there’ll be more trades too ;-)

25. marima07 says: May 20, 2013 8:56 PM

Stinky. Too many family events in May that will take precedence.

Graduations, weddings, showers, religious events, Mothers’ Day… Plus, April wasn’t a big yard-work month, but May is. It’s hard enough fitting in NHL playoffs, let alone the Draft.

Wish Goodell would really, for once, think of the fans who love this game and already give more of their time, money and loyalty to the game than would stand up to scrutiny.

26. lostsok says: May 20, 2013 9:01 PM

In other news, Christmas is now January 15th.

27. theecowardlylion says: May 20, 2013 9:03 PM

The months of February, March and April are rough enough here in Michigan… this news tells me I’m going to have to SERIOUSLY stock the bourbon closet for next winter….

28. dorkamundo says: May 20, 2013 9:03 PM

Terrible idea.
    Terrible.

The reason why the draft is so popular now is because it happens during a time where half the country is still under a layer of snow.

Push it back to mid-may, after fishing opener, and watch the viewership plummet.

I am calling it right now, and you can quote me NFL… Interest in the draft will drop by at least 1/3rd.

The reason why the draft is popular now is due to the timing.

29. lionsdraftguy says: May 20, 2013 9:22 PM

Good. It’ll give me that much more time to prepare the most accurate mock draft once again.

30. kibblesnvick says: May 20, 2013 9:54 PM

The only upside for us fans is that the start of training camp would be just that much closer following the draft.

31. 44 management says: May 20, 2013 10:04 PM

For those of you who say, “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”, well, from an NFL working environment, it is broken. The year is nonstop and for teams who make it to the playoffs, there is very little time to prepare for the offseason and free agency. This shifting of the schedule makes complete sense! It also does make more sense to have free agency begin BEFORE the Combine! This will shift some mindsets of teams who draft for need (which I think is a horrible practice, best player is ALWAYS best!).

I love this idea, and all my NFL cohorts and former colleagues agree!

How do I know these things, you may ask?

I used to be a Pro Personnel Director in the NFL for many years!

32. mazblast says: May 20, 2013 10:43 PM

Anything instigated by The Great Roger Goodell Himself Live And In Person, usually coming from Mara or Kraft, has an ulterior motive. The question is what that motive is in this case.

I suppose we’ll have to wait and see what the motive is. The one thing that is certain is that it’s not for the good of the game, because that’s simply not part of TGRGHLAIP’s agenda.

33. kirksutton says: May 20, 2013 11:21 PM

“With the first pick of the 2014 NFL Draft, the Pittsburgh Steelers select Defensive End, South Carolina, Jadeveon Clowney.”

34. paulnoga says: May 20, 2013 11:54 PM

What a bunch of crybabies. No one told any of you to watch the Combine or the Draft. Who cares if you don’t like the dates or the Month. Get over it. Boycott the Draft if you think you are man enough. You talk a good game, but as always, you want to hear yourselves complain. I will be watching the Draft and the Combine whenever they are, and loving it.
    Yes, Mike mayock will have to work longer. Mock drafts from Hell are going to continue for too long. But don’t watch.
    If your family events are more important than watching QB Sanchez and his rubber band, stay away.

35. bobzilla1001 says: May 21, 2013 1:00 AM

Fitting in the NHL playoffs?
    What do the NHL playoffs and the Obama administration’s scandals have in common? Ninety percent of Americans aren’t paying attention to either…

36. kicksave1980 says: May 21, 2013 5:06 AM

Great. More time to hear Helmet-Hair Mel Jr. and ESPN hype the draft for a few more days. Look, I love the draft as much as most, but it’s ridiculous how much time is spent in the year leading up. By the time the draft actually rolls around, I’m happy that I can get a reprieve from draft speculation…for at least 3 days. Is ESPN hyping the 2017 draft yet, or does that start next week?

37. jobiwon22 says: May 21, 2013 9:55 AM

I still follow the NFL over the next couple months with the camps and OTA’s. I’m am content knowing all the changes my team made. I can now enjoy our limited spring and summer we have around here in PA. The draft is already too late. I have to wait for it with anticipation. May would kill me. I’d like to be able to enjoy these events while I’m stuck indoors with bad weather. The Sat of the draft this year was the first nice day here and I got grief because I stayed inside to watch day 3. My kids want to go out and play and its the first time to mow. May is busy with yard work and doing things outside with the kids. The draft will be ruined for me.

38. axespray says: May 21, 2013 12:14 PM

Why?
    It’s already tough enough for rookies entering the nfl, but now you’re gonna take away 3 weeks of learning their new playbooks from them….

It’s tough on teams that build through the draft, every practice rep/every OTA matters, now we’re taking 3 weeks away from that…. ugh!